FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » BobnDanaCon - I have pictures!!! (foobonic link on second page) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: BobnDanaCon - I have pictures!!! (foobonic link on second page)
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I want cake. [Grumble]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So I guess I just wasn't paying attention! Or too engrossed in the conversation at our Hatrack table... [Big Grin]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Liza -- you ought to post your "toast" to the couple! (if you remember it all). I liked all the toasts - very well done.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
twinky, it was cheesecake, not normal cake. I don't know if that will make it better or worse.

Farmgirl, I had forgotten I was supposed to give a toast, so that was completely off the cuff. I'll think about it, and see if I can remember the jist of it to post later.

[Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

About the same.

Not only do I not possess cake, I possess no means of creating cake. And if I buy a cake at the grocery store I'll eat the whole thing straight away and get fat. [Grumble]

[Wink]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*offers twinky cake*
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

*eats cake*

Mmmmmm, straight to my hips. [Razz]

jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
twinky cake. Yum. But isn't that some sort of cannibalism?
Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

You can usually just buy a piece of cake, you know, instead of an entire one, if you're worried about your weight. [Razz] Or would that be too easy?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
And that homemade cheesecake was the best I'd ever had. I hate cheesecake. I loved yours. I ate every bite and asked Dana to send the recipe to Icarus. I especially loved the icing. Yum!
Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I suspect that the unit mass of cake per dollar would be lower for a piece than for a whole cake. On the other hand, I have disposable income now. *ponders*

quote:
twinky cake. Yum. But isn't that some sort of cannibalism?
[Big Grin]

Thanks for not making the obvious joke. [Smile]

[ April 05, 2005, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only person who couldn't pronounce "Kama" correctly was Leto.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

What *is* the correct pronunciation? When I was in New Zealand, tt&t and I were speculating about it. Neither of us knows how the first "a" is supposed to come out.
Kama
Member # 3022

like the "ah" sound.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

it's kinda easy, cause Polish doesn't distinguish between long and short vowels. A Polish person would not hear the difference between "cat" and ... um... a word with an "ah" sound. The thing is not to put a diphtong in there, which he did.
twinky
Member # 693

Hm. Okay. So it's "kah-mah?"
Kama
Member # 3022

[Hat]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Like the English word "comma"

and yes -- I still say it wrong all the time. Because I had it in my head so wrong for so long before I learned it at KamaCon

twinky
Member # 693

I'll remember that in case I ever meet you. [Smile]
Kama
Member # 3022

can I kiss you if we meet? O_o
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought it was Kah-mah, because Kam-uh is so ugly. [Razz]

By the way, I dunno if I said this, but BobNDanaCon was super super fun. [Big Grin]

Also, twinky are you visiting MN, or is ElJay visiting Canada?

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm going to Hatrack.ca! Woo-hoo!

There's a thread around here somewhere....

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
can I kiss you if we meet? O_o

Sure. [Smile]
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Going back to the real names--I'm comfortable with people referring to me as "Amy" on Hatrack if they so desire. However, that's bound to lead to some confusion, since it's not used that frequently and those who haven't met me won't know who you're talking to.

Conversely, how does everyone feel about being referred to by their Hatrack name in face-to-face conversation? I still tend to think of most people by their Hatrack name rather than their real name, so it is easier for me to refer to people this way. Hearing myself called "Shigosei" out loud is always odd, but I don't mind that either.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

My RL friends call me twinky on occasion. Not often, but sometimes. They also occasionally use 'RJ,' which I used to dislike, but now I'm not concerned about.
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm comfortable being called Mike, it's just that so is half of the rest of Hatrack males. [Wink] Ralphie's the only one who gets away with Mikey, though.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
It weirds me out. I'd rather be called Abby. I dunno if I have Abby registered, tho... Hmm... Anyway, it's partly because my name is fake Japanese, and not everyone knows how to pronounce it with the correct fake Japanese accent.

Rye-oo-koh is fine with me, though. Still, I find it hard to answer to it.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm comfortable with any name as long as it isn't used in a derogatory fashion. I'll answer to: Darren, Punwit, Dagwood, Derwood, Big D, Undies(My last name is Underwood). I'm really not picky. If you can get my attention you can call me whatever you desire.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Now that we're home from BobnDanaCon, Ivygirl and I often have conversations about the trip, and I find that we constantly switch back-n-forth between referring to people by their screen names and their real names.

Except Amy. We both call her Amy. Because it is so much easier to say than Shigosei. And because that screenname wasn't exactly imprinted on my brain since I never figured out the proper way to say it.

[Big Grin] Farmgirl

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still tend to think of most people by their Hatrack name rather than their real name, so it is easier for me to refer to people this way.
This isn't much of a problem for me, as I only started using Saxon-related login names because it was already a RL nickname.

quote:
not everyone knows how to pronounce it with the correct fake Japanese accent.
If you don't get a lot of people pronouncing the vowels correctly, I reckon you probably get even fewer people pronouncing all of the consonants correctly.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
How much for the chocolate fountain? I must have it!
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm fine with people calling me ElJay in real life. My family does it on occasion, that's why I picked the name. Although I go by a different handle on most other places I hang out.

It always is kinda startling to hear it in an unfamilar voice, however. [Smile] But I usually get used to it pretty quickly.

ElJay
Member # 6358

The chocolate fountian was rented. You can buy a home version for about a hundred bucks, I think from JC Penny's.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the kitchen gadget catalogs I have (at home, I can check which one later if anyone is interested) also currently has the fountains for $100.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poseable Nurse
Member # 7162

- posted      Profile for Poseable Nurse           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll provide as many fountains as you want for $100 each. The small one I bought and we didn't use at the wedding cost $64 at J C Pennys.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Punwit confessed: "Undies(My last name is Underwood). I'm really not picky."

Well, I am certainly glad you are not pick-y. That is impolite. I tell my little boy that all the time.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.madowl.com/gallery/bobdana?page=1
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, now I want to hear how Icky and Saxy's last names are supposed to be pronounced.

José Iriarte
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Thanks, Joe! The last name would take some practice for me, I think...
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Joe, that SOUNDS so cooool.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay me, I got it first time I saw it! =)

(and dont ask why, but that reminds me... when are your episodes of Millionaire scheduled to broadcast?)

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Some time in May. I forget. [Embarrassed]

It's in the old thread; I'll see if I can dig it up.

Are you latina?

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh, I had no idea that RJ bugged you. Mind you, I don't think I've ever really used it, beyond trying it out.

At any rate, I've decided to start calling you "Rodger" from here on out, as I'm sure it's the most loathsome thing I can do to your name.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's about how I guessed it would be pronounced. Guess those Spanish classes in high school were finally good for something.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

so how do we pronounce twinky's name? Maybe it's been posted, but I'm just blind. [Razz]
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Icky, my middle name is Jose. *grin* (Though I don't know how to do the little accent thingy using a keyboard...curses!)

Actually, there are a lot of Joses in my family; my dad likes to tell the story of being stopped by a customs official in Ecuador as his family was transporting the body of one of his relatives to be buried. The official was looking for the person in charge of the transportation...but when he asked for a Jose Orbe, he got about ten hands raised. Needless to say, we all know the response given when the official asked for the name of the dude in the coffin as well. [Big Grin]

Hmm. That's actually a pretty morbid story. *grin*

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's how I thought it was pronounced, Icky, but then, I thought it was a Latin verb and pronounced it like a Latin verb.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

RJ doesn't bug me anymore, dude. I don't mind it now. [Smile]

If you call me "Roger," however, I will beat you within an inch of your life. [Wink]

Yeah, I completely forgot about that whole "post link to name tutorial" thing. After work today.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Now?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

[Roll Eyes]

Twinky needs a woman to remind him of things.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.