FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gas Prices Near You (Page 4)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Gas Prices Near You
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.68 at a station I pass on the way to work. Sheesh! They said on the radio that prices traditionally fall after Labor Day. I hope that doesn't mean they are going to rise until then.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep - it jumped another 10 to 20 cents yesterday while I was at work.

So last night I went to the Farmer's Co-op to get gas. They traditionally don't raise their prices until they actually get their next "load" of fuel for their tanks -- whereas the convenience stores raise prices on futures, not on the cost of what they currently have underground.
So I paid $2.50 (bad enough) while all the stations were running $2.60 and up.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NinjaBirdman:
$2.38 in Mays Landing, NJ. Up from like $2.20 a week ago.

$2.50 now at the same gas station.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I was thinking on the way to work this morning....

.... if things get as bad as the oil embargo days of the 1970s, when you couldn't BUY gas because the pumps were dry...

..then I would really like to have a reel-type mower like ElJay uses. Do they still sell those anywhere?

I wonder how long it would take to do 15 acres with a walk-behind reel mower..

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a reel mower (picked up at a garage sale), but trying to mow even a tiny patch of lawn in Phoenix in the summer with a reel mower was unbearable, so my husband gave me an electric one for Christmas. [Smile] I love my electric lawnmower!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I got one at Lowe's this past spring. They had two different models to choose from, so there isn't a whole lot of selection, but they are available. Mine cost somewhere in the $90 range.

I shudder to think how long it would take to do 15 acres with any kind of a push mower, powered or not. When I was a kid I had to mow 3.5 acres with an old motorized push mower (the type that doesn't provide any motive power of its own), and it always took *forever*.

I don't think that we'll have a 70s style oil shortage though; the problem right now doesn't seem to be supply. As long as people are willing to continue paying what they're paying, the oil companies are going to be happy to make sure that gas stations have plenty of supply (in the relatively near term--I'm not talking about the availability of gas in, say, 20 years or anything).

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an electric mower. I'll buy you one, Farmgirl, if you can come up with a practical way to haul around a 15 acre-long extension cord. [Wink]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

What I'd *like* to get is a mower that is powered by fermenting grass clippings. I read about someone developing one of those a few years back, but nothing seems to have come of it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, why not just get an electric mower?

My mother loves her cordless electric mower. It's made by black and decker.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a gas and a reel mower, but really want electric.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
What I'd *like* to get is a mower that is powered by fermenting grass clippings.
Noemon -- you mean Like This??
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Laugh] Farmgirl

Yeah, something like that, but all metalic looking.

Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
I just paid $2.82 in Camarillo, California.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I love our electric mower. We have an electric (Cordless!!!!) weed whacker/edger too, which seriously cuts yard work time in half, and it's fun too. Automatically feeds the line too.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
YEEEHAAAAAAA!!!!

I'm watching the CBS news at the moment - and they just showed a BP station somewhere within the Chicago city limits selling regular for $2.95 a gallon!!!!

(edited to add city for those who don't know where i am)

[ August 16, 2005, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Creeping upwards, ever silently. (I just checked, and I last posted 2 days ago in this thread.)

Up .10 to $2.59 here.

I'm talking unleaded, regular. None of that snooty premium stuff; that's even more expensive. [Razz] [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Detroit, Michigan -

$2.37 April 04
$2.49 August 09
$2.56 August 14
$2.76 August 15
$2.66 August 21
$2.59 August 23

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Detroit, Michigan -

$2.37 April 04
$2.49 August 09
$2.56 August 14
$2.76 August 15
$2.66 August 21
$2.59 August 23
$2.62 August 27
$2.66 August 28
$2.79 August 29
$2.89 August 30

Nice.

All taken from the same Mobil station.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
2.89 at the sHell station today. Union City California.

(The Valero station was 2.73 yesterday. didn't look today.)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
$2.44 here today. Good to live in one of the cheaper states for gas. Although thinking of 2.44 as cheaper is sad.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't much gas to be had around here. Most stations are completely sold out due to the massive evacuation in the area. I'm trying to limit my driving - I've only got about half a tank left. Most stations that still have gas only have premium or ultra or whatever the highest brand is called. That's selling on average for about $2.70 a gallon. Prices haven't changed dramatically since the hurricane struck, it's just availability that makes buying gas difficult.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
I filled up this morning for $2.53 for regular. At lunch it was $2.57. I'm going to check it on the way home from work too. (mays landing, NJ)
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't really think Katrina's going to post here, do you? She's in such a hurry.... [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
She's a blowhard anyway
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Gas jumped 27 cents here in KC since Katrina. Sunday, I could have paid 2.59. Today, I paid $2.83, after a 3 cent discount at Hyvee. I'm expecting it to pass $3 this week or next.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Parsimony where are you at?

Yeah, I expect it to pass $3 dollars a gallon here over the weekend as well. But I also expect it to fall 30 cents in the next month.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
2.65/gallon in Boston Metro (Somerville)
---

When honeymooning in Victoria, BC, the price was 1.01/liter!

-Bok

EDIT: Of course, at ~45 MPG, and only ~120 miles into my 12 gallon tank, with my commute I won't be filling up for another 2-3 weeks... By which point gas will be at 3.12 or something. Sheesh.

[ August 30, 2005, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.99 just outside of Milwaukee, WI.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Gas here went up .08 a gallon on Monday to $3.19. [Frown]

I filled up yesterday in anticipation of what will happen next.

I sat down with my girls last night and had them figure out our gas mileage, based on the latest fill up. Then we figured at the current price of gas, we pay about 13 cents for every mile driven, so at $3.20 a gallon, I pay about $4 a day to get to work and home. We talked about some things we could do to cut back in other areas to ease the burden a bit.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
2.69 in town, 2.59 at the cheap places. There's no difference, as far as I can tell.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.99 in Hartland, Wisconsin.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

$2.99 for premium. $2.799 for regular unleaded. Kansas
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
$3.35 in Brookfield, Wisconsin.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

Well, today the same gas station(Mays Landing, NJ) is $2.70. Up 17 cents from just yesterday morning when I filled up.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been hovering around CDN$1/L here recently. That's US$3.18/gal. In the eastern part of Canada it's up as far as CDN$1.20/L in some places, which is US$3.82/gal.

(These calculations are based on today's exchange rate.)

Added: I live in an area that is also home to two refineries. Gas is cheap here compared to other parts of Canada.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Gas prices have gone up here since yesterday morning. The biggest example was a place that was at 2.59 on my way into work yesterday and 2.79 on my way home. I was able to fill up yesterday for 2.63 (I saw 2 other stations also at 2.63 on my way home). I didn't pass those same stations on my way into work today, but I would suspect they've jumped up to the 2.70ish range (since thats about what everything else was).

There have been reports of shortages at a few (independent) gas stations in the Phoenix area.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Dayton, OH

I got gas last night for $2.46 a gallon. The first gas station I went to was out of the cheapest grade of gas, however, so I had to go to a second station to get it at that price.

This morning it is $3.09

graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.80, going down to bay area which is normally 15-25 cents more than Carson City, Nevada. Goody!!!!
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Sharpie just called from Maine (Portland area), saw regular for $3.17. They drove on and found it for $2.66 closer to town, but there were LONG lines -- around the block, regulated with orange cones.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Gas Prices Shoot Up
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard from a coworker who went out for lunch that it's $2.99 here. I passed a gas station on the way to work this morning and it was $2.79. So that's a 20 cent jump in a couple of hours.

I live about an hour away from Atlanta, Georgia.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

3.19 here, Detroit, MI. Up 20 cents from yesterday.
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Gas prices do not matter here in small town Georgia, as all the stations are bone dry.

Fights were reported earlier at the local Super Walmart.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
$2.99 for regular unleaded at the Exxon in Herndon, VA...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have time to stop on my way to work this morning. I saw it was $2.87. When I went at lunch the same station was $2.92. I guess I should have just been late to work this morning. This is in Camarillo, CA.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, that's only 5 cents difference, Mama Squirrel, so you probably only would have saved 60 cents or so (assuming you weren't wanting to fuel up some gas guzzling SUV with a mammoth gas tank or something). I'd probably pay 60 cents not to feel stressed out about getting to work late, myself.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
$3.19 at the Shell near me, I'm at San Diego, CA.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 

Three stations near here; one of them held 2.999 for a few days before the storm.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like North Carolina's having some issues. Here in Greensboro the gas supply is drying up left and right. I've heard reports of $3.50 a gallon and higher (as of about 7 p.m.) and police officers at most gas stations.

Apparently, two of the pipelines for gas supplying our state are down for the near future. The report from the governor's office said as much as 90 percent of our resupply is gone. Gone.

Whew, strange days indeed.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
There was report on WTOPnews earlier:

"With the refineries in the Gulf shut down, how long will it take until there are lines at gas stations?"

"Oh, about a week or so."

The most disturbing thing about it was the deadpan, matter-of-fact way he said it.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.