FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gas Prices Near You (Page 5)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Gas Prices Near You
stacey
Member # 3661

- posted      Profile for stacey           Edit/Delete Post 
In New Zealand it is $1.53 per litre for normal petrol and $1.59 for ultra.

As far as I can work out that is $4.04 per gallon in American dollars.

Posts: 315 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Stacey, have gas prices down there been steadily increasing for the past while? They've been increasing in the US for some time (as you can tell from this thread), and I've been wondering whether that was a global trend or an artifact of the US oil market.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Apparently, two of the pipelines for gas supplying our state are down for the near future. The report from the governor's office said as much as 90 percent of our resupply is gone. Gone.
quote:
With the refineries in the Gulf shut down, how long will it take until there are lines at gas stations?"

"Oh, about a week or so."

What most people in the US don't realize is that almost all gasoline is distributed by pipelines which go from major refineries to regional facilites and then they are trucked for very short distances to gas stations. So for example, the large refineries in Billings Montana supply gas into a pipeline that runs west to Seattle and Portland. They can delivery gas to the Pacific Northwest through this pipeline, but they can't sell gas to California or Georgia. They have no way to delivery it to those places. This is one of the reasons that gas prices can vary so much between different regions in the US.

What that means is that if gas in your region comes from one of the refineries that is shut down from the storm, it is going to be very difficult to get gasoline to you until those refineries aand those pipelines are back up and running. There may be a only 2 or 3% shortfall nationwide, but that could mean a 90% shortfall in your area, with no easy way to share the burden.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I finally saw my area break $3.00 a gallon.
sigh.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan just got back from 7-11 where it's at $3.08.

>_<

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
$3.19 here.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] My gas tank is empty and I live in the same town as Megan...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
How do we find out where our gas is supplied from?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
It's wacky today. Some stations are selling a gallon of regular for $2.59, others for $3.19, and everything in between. One station was selling midgrade and premium for less than the regular. Pandemonium!

And I saw this evening, for the first time since, what, the Nixon administration, lines at the gas stations. Stretching out of the station and into the streets.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really glad I don't drive. But hopefully this won't make them increase bus fare, because then I'd be screwed.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there were lines at every gas station I stopped at, and a few with no gas at all. I should have waited since I only have 1/3 of a tank left but I just got off work and I'm tired.
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
*weeps* $1.27 per litre, Canadian. With the exchange, it works out to about $4.05 per US gallon.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I have been seriously discussing how to make either the bus or carpooling work. We've already calculated distances we regularly drive. Just getting into the car anymore is starting to feel like a luxury.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Gas started out at 2.65 when I went to work.
Was 2.79 when I got home from work.

So I went to the Gym.

It went from 2.79 to 2.99 in less than 2 hours.

.34 cents in one day.

REMINDER

Gas was at 1.20 when Bush took office in 2000, and Exxon/Mobil is his #2 campaign contributor, and Exxon/Mobil just posted an 8.8 million dollar profit for the last quarter, a %35 percent increase from their profit last year in the same quarter.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Really? We're going to turn this thread into a Bush conspiracy/gas prices thing?

I blame him for not doing more for the future, but he has little control over the price of gas as it stands now. Katrina is to blame for the last 50 cents or so in rising gas prices. And gas most certainly wasn't $1.20 where I live when he took office. It was more like $1.50, and that's a big difference.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Eaquae Legit, s that higher than it has been? If so, by how much? Has the price of gas in Canada been rising steadily for the last 6 months or year or so?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. 48 hours ago I filled my tank with unleaded for $2.53 a gallon. Today, the price is $3.10 at the same station. I was not expecting to see a 40 cent jump overnight. That's crazy. (Mays Landing, NJ)
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
$3.11 now in Metro Boston.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw $3.25 in Glenside Pa. (near Philadelphia).
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can tell (the Indiana gas price's website server is dealing with too much traffic) it's 2.68 in West Lafayette. Even though that's better than most places, I'm still glad I filled up my tank at 2.60.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no BUSH conspiracy on this issue.

It is public record that W took and is still taking millions and millions of dollars from the companies that are raping us.

Bush and Exxon/Mobil are profiting and growing in power, while we are being screwed time and time again.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
It went from 2.79 for regular unleaded to 2.88 in a few hours yesterday. The same station said 2.88 this morning on my way in but I'm afraid of what it will be when I go home. This station had its pumps closed the day before when I tried to stop for gas. Its really getting crazy.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I filled up Monday morning at 2.78/gal. Today ChicagoGasPrices.com is reporting that the same station is at 2.95.
[EDIT; My mother came by tonight and told me that as of about 6:30 pm the same station was now at 3.25 - and one of the cheapest in the area!!]

However, another nearby station has multiple entries on the same site (based on how people report the location), showing 2.85 yesterday just after noon, then 2.99 at 3:14 pm, 2.89 at 9:56 pm, and back to 2.89 at 9:30 this morning.

Oh, and in the sidebar it says that one year ago today, the average price in Chicago was 1.93 with a national average of 1.835. Today it's 3.139 and 2.95, respectively. (and 3 years ago it was 1.65 and 1.47 respectively - so we've fully doubled in three years....)

[ September 01, 2005, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Went to a Chevron and somehow put 14.5 gallons in my 13 gallon tank. I know people will say it's a little bigger then 13 gallons, but I never get any more then just right over 13 even the one time I pulled in and had to push my car the rest of the way in.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
Our car runs on Diesel -- and we recently bought 30 gallons of 100% biodiesel. It's more expensive per gallon, but in general (and especially right now) far cheaper per mile. Also, for long-distance driving there are almost no environmental repercussions.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
As I said, we had reports of $3.50 a gallon locally, but when I left work last night I was able to fill the gas tank for $2.99 a gallon at my local station.

Still, I've never seen that much traffic or that many people at service stations here at 11 pm. There's nothing like panic buying.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Jay, did you happen to get a receipt? If so, report the station to the police and perhaps the Better Business Bureau, submitting the receipt as proof. If not, get a five gallon gas can, fill it at that station, and use the receipt from that purchase as proof when talking to the authorities.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Up another 10 cents here, to 3.29 in Detroit.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw 2.83 today. Perhaps I should check it on my way home and see if I could fill it up.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stacey
Member # 3661

- posted      Profile for stacey           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stacey, have gas prices down there been steadily increasing for the past while? They've been increasing in the US for some time (as you can tell from this thread), and I've been wondering whether that was a global trend or an artifact of the US oil market.
Yeah, they have been rising like crazy this year. And then our Government went and added another 5c to apparently build more roads. And now they won't take it off lol. It's the election in a couple weeks so you would think one of the parties would offer to take it off but so far noone has. I'm guessing they don't have to pay for petrol or get paid so much they don't care. *Sigh* It's not fair!
Posts: 315 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Our state legislature instituted a statewide gas price cap for wholesale prices. It went into effect today, based on the price of gas last week in LA, SF, and somewhere in the south... Atlanta maybe, so no "hurricane" rise yet... Prices have been leaping up - between 4 and 8 cents at a time over the last several weeks. This morning, all the local stations were charging $3.25. A couple of my co-workers have said that prices went up $1.00 today, but I'm still at work, so I can't verify that.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

President Clinton warned against a gas cap. He said it might work for a short period of time assuming there is a supply to back it up, otherwise you risk running out if people run on the low price.
maui babe
Member # 1894

I just looked it up I just checked...

We're screwed.

quote:
That cap is set once a week based on wholesale prices in Los Angeles, the Gulf Coast and New York. The wholesale cap is an average of those prices plus a margin to account for the costs of shipping, distributing and marketing gasoline in Hawai'i.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Greenville, SC 3.29 for the cheap stuff and still rising.

At least 2 gas stations in the area ran out of gas completely this week and had signs saying "no gas"

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Those islands are tiny, how far away from work can people possibly be?
maui babe
Member # 1894

I live 15 miles from work... "tiny" is relative, I guess. I live upcountry, about 1000 feet up Haleakala. I could ride a bike to work, no problem, but I'd never be able to ride one home.

I actually have a fairly short commute for Maui. Many of my neighbors work in the resort hotels on the westside and drive 40-50 miles one way to work. [Eek!]

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Up to $3.59 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Sorry Maui Babe, forget I said anything. [Eek!]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Detroit, Michigan -

$2.37 April 04
$2.49 August 09
$2.56 August 14
$2.76 August 15
$2.66 August 21
$2.59 August 23
$2.62 August 27
$2.66 August 28
$2.79 August 29
$2.89 August 30
$3.29 September 01

$2.39 October 23

That's a nice 90 cent drop in the last two months. I still miss it being below two dollars, but I certainly appreciate it being under 2.50.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I am far less concerned about the price of gasoline than I am about heating oil and gas. Cutting back on gasoline consumption is within reach for most of us. But there is only so low that I can set my thermostat before my family suffers.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

My mom is steadily knitting warm blankets in preparation for the winter. We can't afford a 50% rise in heating costs.
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.59 yesterday in Greensboro, NC.

I'm just not expecting us to ever see it below $2.00/gallon ever again.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
About $2.56-2.66 around here in Nashville. I have to agree with Sopwith, not expecting it to go down that low, ever again.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I miss the days of $.89/gallon.

Driving to Tampa is going to be horrible.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.65 when I filled up yesterday here in Richardson. It was like $2.25 or so in Norman, OK though when I left.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.29 when I filed up today in Northern Va. It's the 1st time in awhile I didn't break $40 at the pump!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.69 in Orlando, FL...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.44 Bloomington IN, was 2.69 yesterday
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I went out to fill up tonight, after posting the last price I had payed, three days ago...

And I saw $2.57! Still high, but a step in the right direction... [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Gas had fallen to $2/gallon in the Dayton area, but in the last two weeks it's been rising again. Today $2.49 seems to be the going rate. Day before yesterday I filled up for $2.25
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.