FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Carrie's Party Planning - Vana & Lime? Preggers People? Last call! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Carrie's Party Planning - Vana & Lime? Preggers People? Last call!
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Attention Midwesterners and those willing to travel!

Carrie is leaving lovely Madison, WI, for grad school in AZ this summer, and needs a farewell gathering before she goes. This thread is to work out the details. I have volunteered to facilitate detail-working-out, but would appreciate a WI local stepping up and helping on things like hotels and such.

Since Madison has several Hatrackers, including Carrie, in residence, I'm going to list that as out default location unless someone has a really good reason it should be somewhere else.

The big initial question we need to decide on is when. Carrie needs to be in AZ in July, and the Davidson's have stated that they are busy all weekends in May. That makes June look awfully good to me.

Weekends in June are:

6/4 - 6/5
6/11 - 6/12
6/18 - 6/19
6/25 - 6/26

Carrie, you didn't say when in July you have to be down there, but I'm guessing you won't want to have the gathering too close to move date anyway. So let's start with June and see if we can find a date that works for everyone.

The weekend of 6/12 is dkw's ordination, so I will be in Iowa, and she and Bob obviously wouldn't be able to attend either. I don't know the rest of their calendars, but the rest of mine is open.

Who's interested, and when are you free? [Smile]

[ June 15, 2005, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
June sounds great. I can set a date aside (or, well, my wife can and just remind me of it [Razz] ). I'm cool with Madison.

I've begun to realize why noone wants to go to Milwaukee. Why do Milwaukee when a little extra time and effort will take you to Chicago?

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*shrug* Nobody's ever invited me to Milwaukee. I usually try to find a way to go where I'm invited. [Razz]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

The only reason I can see coming to Milwaukee in the middle of June is Summerfest. I'm not so much into the crotch rock and overpriced beer, though.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm likely in for this [Smile]

(just got confirmed that I'm being hired at $25/hr for bailing IU out of a fix -- no gradebook for next year's course software, I'm writing it. its short term and just hourly, but it'll be a nice cash infusion)

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

And ElJay, I'll meet you on the moon in 2010 [Razz]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to meet the Madison clump. Put me in too, and hopefully I won't have to bail later due to lack of funds.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

That's not a very gracious invitation, fugu. [Razz] See ya there!
ElJay
Member # 6358

So, PC, fugu, and Stray, no weekend preferences? Too far out to know?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

In 2010 I'd rather be high-tailin' it out of near-Jupiter space.

Mmmm... binary star systems... <drools>

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Please put me down as a tentative yes; once we have a date I can solidify child care and any other arrangements I need.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

At this point, it's far out enough that I'll set whatever weekend we choose aside. I'm willing to work around other people's priorities.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to veto the last weekend of June, as that's about when I'll be moving. Or at least packing and saying farewells to the family (Class starts 11 July). So subtracting the 12th, that leaves us with...

4/5 June

18/19 June.

As of right now, both of these work for me - I'll be graduated, of a legal drinking age, in Madison, and ready to meet people I probably should have met ages ago. [Smile]

Any preferences between those two weekends?

(And I feel strangely important - in all my time here, I've never had a thread about me started by someone else [Blushing] )

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Did I hear... drinking?

This is shaping up well.

Stray
Member # 4056

No real preference for either weekend, as you said, it's too far out to really tell.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Donna the Buffalo is playing in Milwaukee this summer at the Summerfest.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I should probably check out Donna the Buffalo. Either you're related to band members, or they're really good.

Edit to fix my retarded spelling.

[ April 06, 2005, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

Let me see . . .

Less favorable to the second weekend, I'm too likely to have finals/papers right after that for my summer session stuff. Though if it gets scheduled then I'll almost certainly still show up [Wink]

*rephrases invite*

Russell would be delighted to enjoy the company of Liza upon the surface of the moon on January 1st, 2010. RSVP on the Hatrack River Forum.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
No relation, PC. I'm just a groupie. I call them my midlife anti-crisis.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. Either weekend works for me. I'm all for the drinking too.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't look like Dan and I have either of those weekends scheduled yet, so we'll probably be there! [Smile]
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Who all should we expect to hear from? Brainstorm:

Christy & Tom
CT
Vana & Lime
xnera
AJ
dkw & Bob
Ryuko

Possibly others from Indiana?

Anyone else?

Edit: This is what I get for leaving a hatrack window open while actually working.

[ April 06, 2005, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Got to check our calendars. We've got weddings galore this year and I know there's SOMETHING in June, but perhaps there are just two in May.

*confuzzled*

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

fugu, second weekend on my list or Carrie's? [Razz]

I am pleased to accept your gracious invitation, and look forward to seeing you on the surface of the moon January 1, 2010, technology and weather permitting.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, sorry, either of the weekends on Carrie's list would work for me. Second would probably be slightly better, but it doesn't particularly matter.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*now has "Fly Me to the Moon" running through my head*
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I so want to come. It could be a possibility if it doesn't fall the weekend of our vacation and if anyone from Indiana is going who has room in their car.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Do you know what weekend your vacation is yet?
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
It definately is *not* the weekend of the 18th; we're looking at going earlier in the month. However, you probably shouldn't take my vote into consideration, since my going depends on getting a ride. I refuse to ride a bus to Madison while pregnant, no matter how much I love my fellow Hatrackers. [Wink]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I take everyone's vote into consideration, but I take mitigating factors into consideration, too. One of which is that I'd love to see you again! So we'll see what we can do. So far, though, rides from Indiana aren't looking good, as I'm guessing fugu and possibly Stray will be taking the train to Chicago again and hitching the rest of the way with AJ.
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
SO, where do you live? I'm not sure what my life will be like in June (possibly moving to Dragonwood then), but I'd enjoy going on a weekend trip with you!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Jenny, I live in southern Indiana, but I could most probably make it to where you are (northern, right?). I'm about 2 hours from the southern Indianapolis area. Just let me know - chipping in for gas money will not be a problem. I'm just a big whiny baby about long trips by myself on the interstate. [Smile]

space opera

ElJay
Member # 6358

JG and SO? Wow!
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
SO, e-mail me. I'll send you my REAL name, address, and phone number. Like I said, at this point I'm iffy because I don't know what point our house in the woods will be at. But I'd definitly love to hang with you and visit the rest of the gang. Keep me informed!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Yeah, Jenny and I could have a battle of the bellies. [Big Grin]

Hmm. If Jenny isn't able to make it (but I hope she does!) I suppose I could also make it to Bloomington and take the train with Stray and fugu as long as AJ has room for me.

space opera

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to come!

I'm a tad biased because if we go on the 18th, that's a day after my birthday. I'll bring cake. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in as a tentative yes, if anyone else under 21 is in.

EDIT: If I'm in I'll have a car leaving out of Bloomington, though if gas prices keep going up it might just be cheaper to take the train.

[ April 07, 2005, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: blacwolve ]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

(The preggers chickies won't be drinking anyway, if that's your concern. [Smile] I promise we will be a non-drinker friendly gathering.) (Especially if dkw comes.)
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll still be under 21, even though it might be after my birthday! And I don't think we've met yet, have we?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we met for a few minutes at KamaCon, but there were so many people there it was hard to meet people.

Eljay- That's cool. I'm still tentative (I have to talk to my parents and find out if I have a job this summer and if I'll be working weekends) but a little less tentative.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Ok, e-mailed Jenny.

What is this mythical train in Bloomington of which people speak? I tried the Amtrak website to see if they had a station in Madison, but I couldn't find a station in Bloomington.

space opera

ElJay
Member # 6358

I think it's in Indianapolis, not Bloomington. But that's how fugu and Stray got to BobNDana Con, they took the train to Chicago and then rode with AJ the rest of the way.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yeah, we'd have to make our own way to Indy, but we'd just bribe some trusting soul to drive us all up there (for a decent payment), then take the train to Chicago ($16 one way!), then hopefully ride with AJ the rest of the way [Smile]
Stray
Member # 4056

Yep, we have to go to Indianapolis to catch the train. And now that DST has taken effect, we have to be there even earlier than last time--5:50 instead of 6:50, ugh. Hell, at that rate I might be able to get my husband to just stay up late, instead of get up early [Razz]

I may or may not have a functional car by that point, but as someone else said, at the rate gas prices are going up it'll probably be cheaper just to take the train and carpool with AJ, assuming she's willing.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

Thanks for the info. I checked, and even if AJ doesn't have room for me, the fare would only be about $100 round-trip. So, between Jenny's offer if she's able to go, possibly riding with AJ from Chicago, or just taking the train all the way to Madison, it looks like I'm in as long as it isn't scheduled for early in the month.

space opera

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I have comfortable room for 5 people besides myself, uncomfortable room for 6. So start tallying up the people that wish transportation from Chicago, and figure out if there is room for everyone.

Maybe I should put a "Hatrack Taxi" sign on my minivan.

Honestly, I loved the company on this last trip. My only regret was that I couldn't talk more to plaid, because even though the van has a great sound system the rear to front acoustics are horrible.

AJ

Stray
Member # 4056

Space Opera, if you'd like to come to Bloomington the Thursday evening before, you're more than welcome to stay in my guest room so we can get going at the crack of dawn the next day (assuming we choose that schedule, that is). Depending on how things work out, I *might* even be able to swing down and pick you up, though I don't want to make any promises about that right now.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I'm amazed at the response and the people who want to come! *does happy dance in computer lab*

So far it looks like the weekend of the 18th is winning, but I've also noticed that most of the locals are out of town/unsure. By Zeus, I'm excited. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

So possibles we still need to hear from are CT, xnera, and dkw & Bob. That's going to be a crazy time for dkw and Bob regardless, because they will probably be moving in late June. :/ Guess we'll have to see.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"So far it looks like the weekend of the 18th is winning, but I've also noticed that most of the locals are out of town/unsure."

Which may be a good thing, since you've appeared to strenuously avoid us locals for ages. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.