FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Carrie's Party Planning - Vana & Lime? Preggers People? Last call! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Carrie's Party Planning - Vana & Lime? Preggers People? Last call!
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat- I know xnera's having some sort of Serenity event, although I'm not sure if it's a hatrack thing. You might want to get in touch with her and see.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not local? True, I don't live in Madison itself, but I do live in Milwaukee- I'm practically next door!

Oh, and ElJay, my wife's nick is "keedokes," and we'll be bringing Ella along. Good to know the actual weekend. I can get a hotel room that way.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I actually noticed I was wrong about who was attached to whom, but was too lazy to go back and fix it.

I figure Milwaukee is not local enough that you'd want to go home for the night. [Smile]

We gonna start talking activites yet, or is it still too soon? Will there be enough people to do another Eye of Argon reading? That was fun!

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Oh, If I didn't have the free night certificate, I would go home. It's only about 90 minutes or so.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If we're doing activities, we're going to need a large space. I would not mind an Eye of Argon reading done on State Street, but YMMV. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*bump* in hopes of enticing celia to come. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Oh Celia. You're breakin' my heart.
You're shakin' my confidence, baby.
Oh Celia, I'm down on my knees
I'm beggin' you please to come home.
Come on home.

no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
That's not enticing. That's provoking. [Wink]

[ May 05, 2005, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: no. 6 ]

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I'm bringing my kids as well. Mom's on call that weekend which means she won't be consistently available and Dad's got a paintball thing with my brother.

BotaLadyG, I can still pick you up at Union Station Chicago and drive you up, if you're still planning on going? We can discuss details as we get closer.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be awesome! Yeah, I still have a glimmer of hope for attending. I will keep my peepers on this thread and let you know whats going on.

Thanks Goody!

Nicole

Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
bump for celia
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. I really don't. Who is this Carrie person? Isn't it wierd if I go to a party for someone I don't know? If I can tag along in the pregnancy car, maybe. (Oh, gods, the rumors that is going to start). I really just don't know. You ladies will just have to start including me on your travel plan emails.

And Rackham's Razor is dating another hatracker (prolixshor). As far as I know, they're not married, and I would expect to get at least an announcement. *ahem*

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, it's not weird - everyone's more than welcome. [Smile] Heck, I go to parties for people I don't know all the time.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

See, celia, one of the purposes of this party is for Carrie to meet all the midwesterners she hasn't, actually, met while living in the midwest. So if you want to get techincal, I don't know her either, and I'm planning the darn thing. [Smile] So you're fine.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
sings:

If ya want my baby, and ya think I'm sexy, come on Celia let me know....

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
See, celia, one of the purposes of this party is for Carrie to meet all the midwesterners she hasn't, actually, met while living in the midwest.
This is especially imperative, if you will, as I've only met three. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

So, I have a reservation n' stuff. Gee whiz.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Soooooo... anyone from the area want to make suggestions on hotels? We're at the point when we really should be making decisions and reservations. Somewhere with a conference room available for not too much money would be nice, I think there's enough of us that we'll need one.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] I've been looking for this thread.

I have to cancel. [Cry]

A member of my immediate family is having a wedding reception that weekend. Ok, it's my sister, and I just found out about the reception. Grrr. Anyway, I'll be the black sheep of the family if I don't show up. I'm not happy about this, or about missing the Hatrack gathering.

space opera

edit: Oh, and who the heck plans a reception for Father's Day?!?

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't you tell her to come to the Hatrack gathering?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

[Laugh] Tom.

I feel like a terrible person for wanting to skip the reception. But, it is a 4th wedding. Not to be a jerk, but I'm not certain why there's a reception at all. *plasters on smile* But it's family!

space opera

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I don't know much about Madison hotels- so I can't help much. I'll enjoy my hotel, though. :D
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Darnit, SO, I keep not getting opportunities to see you! I was going to give you the baby stuff I knit at the gathering, too (assuming I got it done in time). I may just have to drive down there and take you to lunch or something one of these days.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Stray, I am definately going to make it to Bloomington when Raia is there this summer (did she say July?) Since this is my 2nd cancellation, Hatrackers have permission to burn me at the stake if I can't make it. Seriously though, I might just plan my own Bloomington get-together. It's only a 90 minute drive, and my kiddos will be gone with my ex for almost 2 weeks this summer.

space opera

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Seconding the hotel request... Nicole, would you like to room with my girls and I as well as ride with us from Chicago?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

So, something should probably be done about this. This date is fast approaching.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

What are you guys willing to spend on a hotel? I don't know what kind of rates I could pull for you, but I could use some of my hotel insider knowhow to squeeze something out.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We hadn't said anything, but I was really hoping we could make it. However, we now have a moving van arriving on the 20th, so I'm afriad there is no way. [Frown] Sorry Carrie, I would have liked to have met you.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm fond of the $100/night range, myself. That way if people want to put four in a room it gets down to $25/night/each, which is manageable for most people, or if they prefer not to share beds they can go for two at $50/night.

It would also be nice to have a conference room, dependant on price. For that, I'd aim at attendees not having to spend more than around $10/each extra. If it's more than that, we'd probably be motivated to find someplace free to hang out, or just hang out in the rooms.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I could talk to the Woodfield in Madison (I used to work for the Woodfield in Milwaukee and know the Madison property is just as nice). I could use the Orbitz price of $85/night to get us that rate.

The reason this works is quite simple. If the desk clerk at the hotel refuses to match the price, the guest will then book it on Orbitz anyways. The guest pays $85, but, of that, the hotel will only get about $65 after Orbitz takes its commission. If you use internet rates for leverage, a lot of times you'll get the hotel to match the rate just so they can get the whole dollar amount, instead of paying someone else for commissions.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Of course, this is assuming the rooms are available. Orbitz does not check availability, ever. I'd have to call the hotel itself and get the exact numbers from the clerks there (I know the AGM personally).
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] That would be wonderful, PC. I think we need a check in to see who's actually coming, who's rooming with who, and how many rooms we need. I'll change the title...
ElJay
Member # 6358

Oh, and I need roommates! AJ? SO & JG? Whatcha think?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
well, I don't know.. we will have just returned from CAlifornia.. I want to come but I don't want to commit. I know that's horrid of me, but I just don't know what sort of state I will be in upon my return.

aJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

That makes perfect sense... no worries. [Smile]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Okay, I talked to Tracy, the sales manager over at the Woodfield, and she gave me a rate of $89 for one-room suites with two double-beds. The meeting room is $125 with a $25 setup fee. I didn't set anything in stone yet because I have no idea about anyone's interest.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Oh, yes, the meeting room is available and there are 10 rooms available currently in the two-room two double variety.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Cool, thank you. Let's see how many people respond... a possibility, also, would be to just get the meeting room for Saturday, not both days.

If people don't check in in a reasonable amount of time, I'll send emails to those who expressed interest.

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
It's looking like I probably can't come [Frown] I'm going to have to road-trip out to Wyoming for a friend's wedding in early August, and money is going to be tight tight tight before, during, and after that. I know this trip wouldn't cost too terribly much, but at this point in time it's still looking infeasible. I'm sorry [Cry]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Okay, here's the deal: I'm pretty firmly against meeting in a hotel. There's absolutely no need for it.

If people coming from a serious distance out of town want to crash in a place together, great. But I think it's excessive for us to try to line up a hotel for a going-away party when we have the entire city of Madison and all its perfectly good public places available to us.

For one thing, people might be intimidated by room costs. I know I'm perfectly willing to put up somebody at our place, if that's an issue.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Oh, just FYI. The one room suites also come with pullouts. They should easily sleep 3-6 (depending upon how comfortable you are sharing sleep space).
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I'm just trying to get something done. If people want to stay in a hotel, I figured I could just lend a hand and check into prices and such. I'm not even paying for the hotel I'm staying in.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

My daughters and I are definite. And we could definitely take on a roommate or two if they're willing to share with us (the kids will likely bring their sleeping bags, they just love those things).

Nicole? ElJay?

ElJay
Member # 6358

Tom -- there are about 12 people coming from out of town, depending on who is able to make it and who will cancel as we get closer. I still don't know what the heck we're going to do while we're there... I don't know the city, and to this point no locals have volunteered to organize.

If the locals think they can put us all up, that would be great. I'm cheap. But if not, I'd certainly rather we were staying together, and it's getting close enough that we need to do it.

So... about those perfectly good public places, Tom. What can we do while we're in town? [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Well, I'd still like to hear from Carrie about what she's interested in doing. I know how I like to spend time in Madison, but it's not my party. *laugh*
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be happy to be your roommate if it comes down to a hotel, ElJay. Really.

If it doesn't, dibs on a spot of floor at Tom's place.

Oh, and I'm so in.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Cool. You're on my list of jatraqueros I've been meaning to meet, fugu.
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I would like to hitch with you Goody, and room if it's possible. Um how old are your daughters, just out of curiosity? I am still hoping I can scrape up the money for the train ticket and hotel costs by then *crosses fingers*. wish me luck..lol.

Nicole

Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Kids are 11 and 8, they actually almost qualify as human! AJ, xnera, Tom & Christy, and Bernard & Jeni have all met them before.

And if necessary, we can work out the hotel costs part later. [Smile]

So, PC, who do we contact to reserve our rooms? Do we need to tell them anything special?

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Well, you can contact the hotel directly. I only talked to the Sales Manager, I didn't set anything in stone yet. I needed to talk to the SM because she handles the meeting spaces. I don't think we need the meeting room to be honest. As Tom said, there are plenty of places for us to hang out- we don't need to rent a meeting room.

They may give you some line about the one room, two double suites not being included in the Orbitz price. Just let them know that you were quoted a rate of $89 by Tracy, the Sales Manager. They should honor that. If you have any trouble, I'll call the hotel myself and smooth things over.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.