FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY (Page 16)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
wOOt!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Mike Brown. Just. Wow.

Take it easy there, big boy.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
FToS: Yeah, no kidding... ***OOF!!!***
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Ouch.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
That was complete bullshit.

Why do we even have refs?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
That was complete bullshit.

Why do we even have refs?

To make good, really good, calls that screw over the hated Red Wings!

The Ducks will win the series in 6.

BlackHawks and Capitals in the finals.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

How was that a good call? I didn't really have a problem with the calls throughout the game, though a couple for both the Wings AND the Ducks were pretty fishy, and stuff on both sides that might have been called wasn't, but that's fine. Not calling 2 minute penalties is part of the game that I can live with.

Whistling down a perfectly fair goal by any fair measure of what a fair goal is on the other hand, is handing the game to the other team. The Wings might still have lost in overtime, but now we're never know.

And in what insane world are you living where the Hawks beat the Ducks? If the Ducks beat the Wings (and they won't, it'll be the Wings in 7), then they'll stomp every team between them and the Cup. The Hawks, if they beat the Canucks, which I actually really hope they do, because I like the Hawks, will lose in the Conference finals to either the Ducks or the Wings. No contest.

ETA: He didn't even blow the whistle, it was "intent to blow," which is just as stupid. The puck was still loose.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

quote:
How was that a good call? I didn't really have a problem with the calls throughout the game, though a couple for both the Wings AND the Ducks were pretty fishy, and stuff on both sides that might have been called wasn't, but that's fine. Not calling 2 minute penalties is part of the game that I can live with.

Whistling down a perfectly fair goal by any fair measure of what a fair goal is on the other hand, is handing the game to the other team. The Wings might still have lost in overtime, but now we're never know.

And in what insane world are you living where the Hawks beat the Ducks? If the Ducks beat the Wings (and they won't, it'll be the Wings in 7), then they'll stomp every team between them and the Cup. The Hawks, if they beat the Canucks, which I actually really hope they do, because I like the Hawks, will lose in the Conference finals to either the Ducks or the Wings. No contest.

ETA: He didn't even blow the whistle, it was "intent to blow," which is just as stupid. The puck was still loose.

The call was good because...it was the Red Wings? No it wasn't a good call, it was a mistake, but it was the Red Wings, so I enjoyed it. Hey, I am a Stars fan, I have to get any pleasure out of these playoffs that I can.

Well, the BlackHawks are faster, younger, and more uptempo than the Ducks, and though I don't think they can beat the Wings if they face them, the Hawks are young and don't know that they would be underdogs to the Ducks. In my insane world, the Hawks skate all over the Ducks in 6 games, and that is bolstered by the fact that the Hawks beat the Ducks 3 of 4 times in the regular season.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Hey, I am a Stars fan, I have to get any pleasure out of these playoffs that I can.
::Thinks about it:: Sure, I can respect that. [Smile]

quote:
Well, the BlackHawks are faster, younger, and more uptempo than the Ducks, and though I don't think they can beat the Wings if they face them, the Hawks are young and don't know that they would be underdogs to the Ducks. In my insane world, the Hawks skate all over the Ducks in 6 games, and that is bolstered by the fact that the Hawks beat the Ducks 3 of 4 times in the regular season
Duck playoff hockey is crazy physical. I've only been watching bits and pieces of the Canucks/Hawks series, but I don't think they have it in them. I think they'll win a couple, but be ground into the ice. I think they're a great young team that is playing playoff hockey as if they've been doing it for years rather than this being their first trip.

I was hoping for a Wings/Hawks matchup since the playoffs first started, and I still think it's possible, though now both the Wings and the Hawks have to overcome 2-1 deficits, and I think both teams have it in them.

How come the Wings earn special hatred btw? Why can't we all band together to hate Anaheim or the Oilers or something?

Humean316
Member # 8175

quote:
How come the Wings earn special hatred btw? Why can't we all band together to hate Anaheim or the Oilers or something?
Oh trust me, the Ducks and Sharks are 2 and 3 on the list, but for the Red Wings, they won a few cups in the 90's, one of which should have been the Stars. In the 90's, the only team that really beat the Red Wings were the Avs because the Stars could never do it.

quote:
I was hoping for a Wings/Hawks matchup since the playoffs first started, and I still think it's possible, though now both the Wings and the Hawks have to overcome 2-1 deficits, and I think both teams have it in them.
Yeah, that's what I thought, but man the Ducks do look good and seeing that this is exactly how they looked in 07 when they won the cup, I wouldn't be shocked if they won it all. Still, the Ducks are crazy physical as you said, but I think youth and speed, like the BlackHawks have in abundance, can overcome physicality. You can't hit something you can't catch, and I think maybe that's what the Hawks will do to the Ducks. If the Hawks meet the Wings, they will lose in 5, but still, I am kinda rooting for the Hawks.
Kwea
Member # 2199

What a crock of shit.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
The Red Wings are the Red Sox of hockey, then? Man, I feel sorry for any team with the word "Red" in their name.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Humean316:
Well, the BlackHawks are faster, younger, and more uptempo than the Ducks, and though I don't think they can beat the Wings if they face them, the Hawks are young and don't know that they would be underdogs to the Ducks. In my insane world, the Hawks skate all over the Ducks in 6 games, and that is bolstered by the fact that the Hawks beat the Ducks 3 of 4 times in the regular season. [/QB]

I honestly have little hope of us getting past the Canucks this series. If we'd pulled the Canucks instead of the Flames for round 1, I think we'd be out already. But considering this is our first playoff appearance in 7 years, our first second-round appearance in 13, and we've got an extremely young team, I'm proud of the boys for getting this far. It's amazing to see the changes in the roughly 18 months since Dollar Bill Wirtz died.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
The Red Wings are the Red Sox of hockey, then? Man, I feel sorry for any team with the word "Red" in their name.

Yeah, they might win championships. [Big Grin]
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
The Coyotes might be moving. [Frown] They filed for Chapter 11 and th current owner wants to sell.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
They've got a potential buyer too. Only thing stopping them is Bettman.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

6-3 Red wings GO WINGS!!!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

As far as the Coyotes moving goes, the potential buyer wants to move them to southern Ontario. Where the heck is that supposed to be? Toronto has a team, Detroit has a team, and in between them is...? It's a dumb idea. Selling the team and moving it, eh, whatever. They have a brand new arena there but fine. South Ontario? Nooooo.

Oh, and HELL YEAH WINGS!!!

The Ducks defense broke down there, and combined with a rejuvenated Wings offense, hockey fans the world over got a nice little show tonight. I'm loving the new Hossa/Filppula/Franzen line! The Ducks will come back strong in Detroit, they won't make the same defensive mistakes, but I don't think we'll see any 1 or 2 goal games anymore. It was nice to see Hiller taken out [Smile]

Oh, and good job Blackhawks! Best of three series between them and Vancouver now, and I think they can do it!

Wings and Hawks in the Conference finals!

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wings and Hawks in the Conference finals!

That would soooooooo totally rock. I wish I could have watched the game instead of just listening on the radio.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As far as the Coyotes moving goes, the potential buyer wants to move them to southern Ontario. Where the heck is that supposed to be? Toronto has a team, Detroit has a team, and in between them is...? It's a dumb idea. Selling the team and moving it, eh, whatever. They have a brand new arena there but fine. South Ontario? Nooooo.

I'd prefer them to come back to Winnipeg but anywhere in Canada would be great. I'm pretty sure that Buffalo is the city that would have the most proximity problems with a Southern Ontario team. The Leafs are consistently one of the top money makers for the NHL though and Southern Ontario can definitely support another team. It's not a bad thing to have a billionaire as an owner either. I'm so sick of Bettman screwing over Canada in his running of the NHL. He claims that they don't give up on cities and they won't walk away from Phoenix! Tell that to Winnipeg, Quebec, and Hartford!
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

Also, I hate the Ducks and like the Wings (though not as much without Yzerman) so I hope they win. I think that the Canucks can shut down the Blackhawks though. The Canucks need to not sit on small leads for the rest of the series though. They've got to keep the puck in Chicago's end a lot more.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
...Arson
Member # 12052

- posted      Profile for ...Arson   Email ...Arson         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so completely astounded that there's this many hockey fans here!

Well just to catch up: I initially picked Philadelphia(begrudgingly over Pittsburgh and my favourite team: Montreal) and Vancouver to win their conferences.

Vancouver, a la GodziLLuongo, seems to be in position to do such. There's no way Chicago can keep getting peppered for 50 minutes a game and keep getting lucky as they are.

Philadelphia lost out to Pittsburgh (which was a hard series to call) but being somewhat of an Ovechkin fan I'm fairly happy how that series has turned out.

I truly hope Boston implodes, but if there's a team I like less than Boston is Carolina... I am truly torn. I still remember the 06 playoffs.

Anaheim has been really impressive, specifically the dominance of their top line and their defense+hiller. I just don't think they can take out the two top seeds and have enough left in the tank for either a young Chicago team or a deep Canucks one.

Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah Hawks! Chicago beats Vancouver to bring it back home for an elimination game!

Pittsburgh beat Washington in the third of three straight wins after going down two to start the series. Now they too go home to play an elimination game.

Tomorrow the Canes will be playing to eliminate the Bruins at home, and the Wings will be playing Game 5 in a 2-2 series at home. We draw ever closer to my Hawks and Wings Conference finals dream scenario. [Smile]

Shame on you for doubting your Hawks Goody Scrivener! They're going to pull it out!

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

I'm a Chicagoan. I'm used to being disappointed by my boys LOL.

I really wish Buffy could have nailed his hat trick last night. Looked like he was off by just a few inches, and he had someone up in his face when he let that ENG attempt loose. And WHAT was with Salo bending Ladd backwards over the top of the goal box with a late hit? Where were the bleepin refs?!?

Godzilluongo. I like that. [Smile]

Humean316
Member # 8175

quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:

LOL, I am a Texas Ranger fan, I know how you feel.

And sorry Lyrhawn, but I think the Ducks will still pull that series out. If so, after watching the Hawks last night, did they convince you that they could beat the Ducks? Like I said, if it does go Wings and Hawks, then it's the Wings, but still.

...Arson
Member # 12052

I don't think Chicago can keep playing the style they are and beat either the Ducks, or the Wings. The Ducks have 4 elite defense men they rotate to give themselves the best pairings, as well as match up against both top lines. Detroit is an offensive juggernaut, and will take advantage of how many giveaways Chicago produces in each game.
Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

quote:
Originally posted by ...Arson:
I don't think Chicago can keep playing the style they are and beat either the Ducks, or the Wings. The Ducks have 4 elite defense men they rotate to give themselves the best pairings, as well as match up against both top lines. Detroit is an offensive juggernaut, and will take advantage of how many giveaways Chicago produces in each game.

I agree completely about Detroit, Chicago does turn the puck over and against less powerful teams they can get away with it because of Khabibulan (I know I misspelled it but I don't even think Khabibulan can spell it correctly, so I am not worried). However, against the Red Wings, there is simply too much talent and Khabibulan is not a Brodeur or Roy, so he cannot cover up the mistakes those elite goalies could. However, during the regular season, Chicago was able to use their top 3 lines to tire out and skate around those elite defensemen of the Ducks, and though the games were close, the Ducks looked old, especially Pronger, when compared to the youth of the Hawks. We will see, but these playoffs have been really fun.

I really hope it is the Ducks and Hawks because I am rooting for the Hawks, and I think that's the only chance they have of making the finals. Of course, if that happens, then I think Ovechkin or Crosby will win their first cup, so that's not saying much.

...Arson
Member # 12052

NEver, ever, count out Luongo.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Humean, that's why I just call him Khabi. [Smile] That last A should be an I, in case you wondered.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Humean316:
quote:

LOL, I am a Texas Ranger fan, I know how you feel.

And sorry Lyrhawn, but I think the Ducks will still pull that series out. If so, after watching the Hawks last night, did they convince you that they could beat the Ducks? Like I said, if it does go Wings and Hawks, then it's the Wings, but still.

Ducks have been crushed the last two games. I don't see them pulling out back to back wins after their performances the last couple games. They're tired. It might go seven, but I don't see how they pull it out.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

I don't think the Ducks can win it. Even if they pull out a miracle Game 6, there's no way they could beat the Wings at the Joe.

I swear, just stepping onto that ice with the freakin Red Sea surrounding you must be the most stressful hockey environment in the world.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well they did it once. We both won one away and one home. I don't think it's impossible to believe that they could win here, but I do think it's a leap to see them winning two in a row after the dominance of the last two games, and I think that with them being one of the worst home teams in the league and the Wings being the best road team, it doesn't bode well for them Tuesday night.

::knocks on wood::

As far as oppressive environments, I think a lot of those Canadian teams probably beat us for noise. Fans are rabid in Detroit, but they foam at the mouth in Canada. [Smile]

Neither here nor there, but my whole family commented on how awesome we thought the Canucks crowd was when we were watching the last Vancouver/Chicago game. I love that the entire arena sang along with their national anthem, and I wish we did that here.

solo
Member # 3148

It's not just the fans in the arenas up here that foam at the mouth either. In the Oilers 2006 cup run the whole city was crazy. Streets were covered with chalk drawings of logos and Stanley Cups. Flags flew from most vehicle windows. The positive energy in the city was pretty awesome.

(There were of course some problems with rowdiness associated with this as well).

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Wow. I'm in shock. We're in the conference finals. How in the HECK did THAT happen?!?! Not only that, but I think this was the highest score I've seen. And yay Kane!!!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Crazy game. The scoring was just bang, bang, bang one after another. Chicago gets two quick ones, Vancouver gets three in a row, then back the other way. It was crazy. The pace was frenetic.

But frankly, defense on BOTH sides was atrocious. That's why the scoring was so high. Tonight's game was a firefight, and Chicago was more deadly. I look forward ::knocks on wood again:: to seeing them in the Conference finals next week. Good job Hawks!

solo
Member # 3148

Who woulda thought that Luongo would let in 7 goals? That was pretty shocking. The defense was terrible (on both sides). I didn't see the whole game but from what I saw, Chicago deserved the win. They just played harder and outran Vancouver all over the place.

I was cheering for the Canucks in this series but I can't begrudge the Blackhawks. These kids worked hard for it. I think I'd like to see them in the Cup finals though I don't know if they can get passed the Wings.

theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Wings fan and am thrilled at the prospect of a Wings Hawks series. It will be nice to have the games on at a reasonable time but more than that it is always fun to watch the young teams grow. Ultimately, I think the Wings will win but it should be a fun series with plenty of scoring.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

GO WINGS!
Humean316
Member # 8175

quote:
Wow. I'm in shock. We're in the conference finals. How in the HECK did THAT happen?!?! Not only that, but I think this was the highest score I've seen. And yay Kane!!!

Yeah, that was a great game. First thing that has pulled me away from work in a day two, and the shock of 7 goals against Luongo was amazing.

I wouldn't count the Ducks out yet, though it does look less than optimal. In many ways, sports is simply an exercise in mental toughness, and I have never seen a team tougher than Anaheim when they choose to be so I do not doubt that they could. Whether they will is another story.

And what a series between the Caps and Pens. Why isn't that series on national tv so that everyone can see? Is Gary Bettman that big an idiot? How you can watch that series and not fall in love with hockey is beyond me...

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

quote:
As far as oppressive environments, I think a lot of those Canadian teams probably beat us for noise. Fans are rabid in Detroit, but they foam at the mouth in Canada. [Smile]

Oh fer sure. Habs fans during a Leafs/Habs game in Montreal, boy oh boy.

You know, I think Southern Ontario could support another team. Maybe Hamilton, or possibly London or Windsor (although having two NHL teams within shouting distance would probably be a bit of a hassle). There are plenty enough fans, and Hamilton already has a suitable arena.

Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
As a Hamilton Bulldogs* season ticket holder, the Copps is not suitable for an NHL team without heavy renovations. Too few, too small boxes would cripple corporate sales, and there's only a single concourse servicing the upper and lower bowls (which makes it impossible to navigate when the place is full. Literally, don't-bother-leaving-your-seat, impossible. Not hyperbole). Additionally, when they built a new government building across the street, they made parking very difficult for big events.

I could see them using it as a temperary home, but they'll eaither need to build a new arena or get ready to do a lot of work on the Copps if they want to make the move perminent.

*Montreal's farm team.

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

Wow, see now that's a great game. The Ducks force me to say the best 2 words in sports, game 7, and I think they got a shot. Though I agree, other than the Canadian arenas, Detroit is probably the hardest place to play in the NHL. Anaheim 3, Detroit 1.

They just said on Versus that this will be the first game 7 for detroit in 7 years, so I have a question. Was that the game 7 a while back against the Avs where they scored 6 goals on Roy in 2 periods?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yes.

I'm going to check for tickets up at school tomorrow to see about Thursday's game. I really can't afford it, but man, I'd hate to miss a Game 7.

Tonight was a combination of a resurgent Duck's defense and some lazy Wings offense. They earned it as much as we gave it away.

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

Three game sevens huh? I love hockey.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Hawks/Wings... I'm going to be spending a lot of evenings at my parents' house...
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

[Smile]

Thank you hockey gods for granting my wish.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Lyr, you got tickets?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

No, I wish. Sadly the hockey gods didn't go quite that far. Tickets go on sale tomorrow morning at my school at like 8am, but I won't be able to get there in time to buy them. If it goes to a game five I might have a shot though.

The local pool hall I go to though has a pretty good hockey atmosphere though.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Wings crush the Hawks 5-2 in the Conference opener!
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Eager and Burish scared the bleepity bleep outta me. If Burish had been just a little closer.... (shudders and blocks the mental movie).

One game does not a series make. I think we had too much down time between the last game against the Canucks and today. And I'm sure we were at least a little intimidated by "omigod it's the wings again". Now that the first game is under our belts, we'll see what happens.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.