FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY (Page 3)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I never really understood how the whole tag up offsides thing was gonna work. Could someone please explain?
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
You're offside if you cross the line before the puck and play is called if any of your team is in control of the puck while you're offside. The offside is negated if you're entire team exits the zone for an instant. So if I'm caught deep in the zone and am skating to get out my team can still dump it in while I'm on my way out, everything is fine so long as I don't touch the puck and nobody on my team enters the zone before I get out.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

Ooooo nice. Thank you.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Part of me wants to jump up and down and see if I can get tickets for the Caps home opener.

Part of me wants tobeg fans to never go to or watch another NHL game again to punish them for the lockout and to tell the other sports leagues that if you sell a product that depends on the emotional attachment of your customers, you would do well not to jerk them around like this.

You don't. Caps will have the worst team in the league by a mile. And after the screwjob that left them in the "lowest odds of Sidney Crosby" bracket (1 ball of a possible 3) despite having the worst professional roster of any team in the league, it's only gonna get worse.

Caps are laying quiet on the UFA front, going to pay the salary cap floor for now because the roster is almost uniformerly made of young prospects who played in the AHL in WHL and OHL and other minor league, or youth leagues around North America the past year. They'll pay a few scrubs to add veteran "leadership" to the squad to insure that it isn't kids, but don't expect the Caps to go after any free agents of consequence until '07-'08. The fact that our most ready-made NHL prospects couldn't even put together a playoff season in the AHL is deeply disturbing. The Caps head the Phil Kessell derby and are unlucky to do any better than the worst, to third worst team in the league this year.

The way the NHL absolutely reamed Florida and Washington (two of the very worst teams in the league) in the Draft Lottery scenario was an absolute crime, only slightly rectified when a tiny market ---- team like Pittsburgh ended up winning Crosby.

I love Hockey, but they've really permanently ruined their position with the American public and ruptured relations with Canadians. Never again will it be #3/#4 in the American Sporting landscape. Soccer and Golf will overtake it, and god awful Nascar (who knows why anyone watches that), already has.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

Soccer will NOT overtake hockey in the US. And even though golf and NASCAR are EXTREMELY boring to watch, more people like them. For some whack reason.

Everyone knows that golf is only cool to watch when someone gets a hole in one, or if there's some mini golf championship on ESPN, and NASCARS only cool to watch when there's crashes. You can catch those on sportscenter.

graywolfe
Member # 3852

quote:
Originally posted by Hamson:
Soccer will NOT overtake hockey in the US. And even though golf and NASCAR are EXTREMELY boring to watch, more people like them. For some whack reason.

Everyone knows that golf is only cool to watch when someone gets a hole in one, or if there's some mini golf championship on ESPN, and NASCARS only cool to watch when there's crashes. You can catch those on sportscenter.

Hey I do not enjoy watching Golf at all, I'm not suggesting its great to watch, what I am suggesting is that Tiger-events, and pretty soon Michelle Wie events will outdraw hockey, easily in tv viewership. If you got the ratings ESPN had for the NHL games, playoffs and the Stanley Cup Finals in '03-'04 season, you'd know why they didn't mind the strike at all. It allowed for flexability in programming, ending their contract with the NHL, and getting better ratings on prime time events. Tiger and Wie tournaments easily crush NHL ratings. I love Hockey, but it's an arena-sport in this country, period, and does not draw tv ratings except for in the NorthEast.

As for Nascar, it's ----, I hate it, but it has a HUGE tv audience. I have no idea why, but it does.

As for Soccer, it's already selling tickets at a comparable rate to NHL teams in the USA, it's got new ownership from Chivas-Guadalajara (Vergara-spelling?), and from the NBA in Salt-Lake, it's garnered interest from Chelsea and their multi-billionaire owner, AC Milan, and Real Madrid, and it just got a nearly 200 million dollar sponshorship deal from a major shoe company, plus it now has SSS's being built or already built for L.A./Chivas, Colombus, Dallas, Chicago, D.C., and New York, something that cannot be said of NHL. (which shares a number of it's stadiums with local NBA teams).

Now add to that the growing popularity among teens (fastest growing sport in the country), the growth of the Sport in the inner city, a ten year old league in the country that is financially viable, American's now earning million dollar contracts playing locally, as well as for famed sides in England (Manchester United, Arsenal, Fulham among them), Holland (PSV Eindhoven and Feynoord), Germany (Mainz, Hanover and Borussia Mongladbach) and elsewhere, and you have a sport that's growing leaps and bounds, as the National team ranking suggests (#5 in the world in the farcical FIFA rankings, a more accurate 13th in the ELO rankings).

You may not like soccer or want it to be popular, but in terms of every single measurable there is, the sport is growing and growing fast in this country. I don't believe it will ever be as popular as it should be (right with baseball and football), but it will probably catch Basketball within a few decades and certainly close in on it within the next quarter century. As much as it sucks for me to say, NHL plateau'd and is now on the wane, the best Bettman and the rest can do, is what they did, bring the salaries back into scale with fiscal reality (the tv packages they will garner did not, and will not justify the salaries they were paying in the nineties), focus on being a niche sport with huge ticket-buying based reliability, and open itself up more to Europe and Russia. Hockey's peaked, so has baseball (participation of inner city African-Americans has dropped 50% at the highest levels over the past decade) Soccer is climbing, so is Nascar (again, I dont know why), and basketball is at a crossroads, having plateau'd in the United States seemingly, but growing in popularity in Europe and Latin-America.

Right now the sports with the most growth potential remain Football, Basketball, Nascar and Soccer. Golf's future is tied to how much importance in it's growth is relative to specific indidivuals (once a generation types like Wie, and Woods) as it is to the actual fundamental popularity of the sport itself.

I love hockey as much as anyone on this board and maybe more, but it's simply not growing anymore in this country and the strike killed whatever growth potential was left. Soccer will overtake it very soon, if it already hasn't.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
I myself was on the owners side in the conflict. The best thing to ever happen to pro football was the salary cap.

A salary cap in baseball would make that sport infinitely more interesting to me.

Of course I wasn't opposed to a salary cap in hockey. The owners didn't seem "greedy" to me, since half of them were losing money under the old way. The best thing to happen to their pocket books was not having a season.

Though I didn't follow the dispute as much as some folks, and perhaps I am wrong about some details...

I don't agree with you in regards to the salary cap. A salary cap isn't necessary, baseball would be fine if they got their heads out of their ----- and built the league around what the NFL did from the begining, total tv revenue sharing. Not b.s. tv fiefdoms with WGN, TBS, and whatever networks broadcast LA and Mets and Yankees games. The league is fixed because of the revenue sharing system, its rigged, like starting the 400 meters at the olympics with a 120 meter headstart, the only reason monied teams like the Cubs, Mets or Yankees occasionally falter is because of absolutely stupendous stupidity in management (in the Yankees case there slipping has everything to do with the selling off of their farm system for quick fixes the past decade, they can still buy the best players any given offseason, and so they aren't as adversely effected as another team who might make unwise July teams, but it remains the #1 reason why they are in trouble now, bad signings, and not restocking their farm system at pace with their july trades).

Total revenue sharing of TV revenue creates competitive balance. A salary cap is institued simply because owners are idiots, across the boards, and since collusion is illegal, a cap is the next best thing for the morons. Create total tv revenue sharing, across the board, and then teams will sink or swim based on management, and coaching, the way it should be. Salary Cap's are bs in my mind, and were only necessary in the NHL because (Surprise), a New York team, as well as other teams didn't know how to develop talent, or create a winner buy any other means save outbidding anyone for free agents.

However, all this being said, I was also an owners supporter during the strike, the league couldn't and can't survive without radical restructuring of salaries based on the fiscal realities of the sport. Just nine months ago they were talking about folding a quarter of the league because so many teams simply couldn't break even, let alone make money do to the looney NBA-like salary structure of the league.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see Golf overtaking anything in terms of popularity. And NASCAR is region specific, it isn't loved all over the country.

The Soccer/Hockey race will depend on a few factors.

1. How fast MLS expands into new cities. Too fast will burn them out, too slow will make people lose interest.

2. How competitive the NHL is now. If it turns out now that almost every team actually has a chance, new fans will be created in previously weak cities.

3. What kind of television deal MLS gets. If they can manage to get off ESPN 3 and 2, and get onto the major networks, or even regular ESPN, they will get a lot more viewers.

Soccer is growing fast yes, but it can only grow so fast. Over the last 20 years, it has tried to grow too quickly and it killed whole leagues.

Superstars like Tiger and Michelle Wie can only energize the sport so much. NASCAR is still stereotyped as a hick "sport." I think it is incredibly boring, but my mom's boss owns a NASCAR team, so I'm forced to watch it a lot. Most of the fans seem extremely rural.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I don't see Golf overtaking anything in terms of popularity. And NASCAR is region specific, it isn't loved all over the country.

The Soccer/Hockey race will depend on a few factors.

1. How fast MLS expands into new cities. Too fast will burn them out, too slow will make people lose interest.

2. How competitive the NHL is now. If it turns out now that almost every team actually has a chance, new fans will be created in previously weak cities.

3. What kind of television deal MLS gets. If they can manage to get off ESPN 3 and 2, and get onto the major networks, or even regular ESPN, they will get a lot more viewers.

Soccer is growing fast yes, but it can only grow so fast. Over the last 20 years, it has tried to grow too quickly and it killed whole leagues.

Superstars like Tiger and Michelle Wie can only energize the sport so much. NASCAR is still stereotyped as a hick "sport." I think it is incredibly boring, but my mom's boss owns a NASCAR team, so I'm forced to watch it a lot. Most of the fans seem extremely rural.

Point 1: Golf kills hockey in terms of television rating and I believe sporting fan interest as well (tv ratings essentially explains the latter). It shouldn't but it does.

2. MLS-interesting take. But I don't think it's so much dependent on how fast it grows, with a few minor tweakings (interest is huge in Seattle/Portland, but for whatever reason, probably weather, and some financial concersn with ownership, they haven't gotten a franchise), I think it's on the right track. The only thing the MLS is really lacking right now is a presence in the south. They are located in force in the original soccer playing center of the country, the NorthEastwith teams in Boston, New York, and Washington D.C., they've got a sprinkling of teams in the midwest to help grow the sport outside of Chicago, with Kansas City, Colombus, and Dallas, and they are in the West and the Rockies with two squads in L.A. to go with a squad in the Bay Area, and in Denver, and Salt Lake. There are certainly some places that could use a franchise, the South as I mentioned should get one, Florida was a failure, but another southern city, perhaps in North Carolina (which has a strong soccer tradition), Indiana considering the Hoosiers tradition, as well as a team in San Diego, and Portland/Seattle. Philadelphia may be a target in time, though I'm not sure how much support they'd give to the sport.

So there's room for growth, but the MLS doesn't want a repeat of the grow too fast, and spend too crazy NASL, and the example of the Florida debacle (a state which hasn't supported baseball in numbers either)still sticks in their mind. Expansion will continue, probably another two teams will be added within 2-3 years but growth should be watched. Soccer's fanbase is growing, but tv revenue's remain as relatively anemic as hockey. Ticket sales and sponsonship remain the #1 financial support mechanisms.

#2 NHL competitiveness:

I don't see it. The NHL has been very competitive in recent years with a variety of teams making runs at the Stanley Cup whose fan bases never expected it, Anaheim, Tampa Bay, I could go on and on. The only teams that really were glutting the playoffs with their own freespending and/or traditional success were Colorado, Detroit, and New Jersey, and none of them had a recent lock on anything. Only Canada strikes me as a region that was being priced out of playoff competition (though the playoff success of Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto and Ottawa suggests differently), and as long as their teams were competitive, loyalty wasn't a problem there. Canada's fine, and competitive balance, in my view, had nothing to do with failing ratings.

I think general American Disinterest, and the ugly clutch and grab, and highly defensive hockey propounded by the Devils was more responsible. So rule changes could help, but I don't believe they'll help build an audience, I just think they'll help to retain some of the audience that might have been inclined to leave.

3. TV:

Disagree, MLS actually pays ESPN2 to show it's weekly saturday game. The anemic coverage of the recent European visit (with LA-Real Madrid, Chicago-AC Milan, and Chelsea-DC United) suggests that the tv problem persists. However, GolTV, and FoxSoccerChannel have recently been added to cable, and the huge ratings univision, galavision, and telefutura are getting for U-17, and WYC tourney's and specific Gold Cup matchups suggest that there is plenty room for growth. It's gonna take time. More exposure would help as well. Not sure what can be done on the television side of things as the ratings have been fairly static with only small signs of growth in recent years. Hockey on the other hand has seen its ratings steadily decline to the point where ESPN had been looking to dump NHL from it's evening calender for years and was ecstatic at the strike for giving it an avenue to opt-out and either sign a new deal MUCH cheaper, or none at all. Both the NHL and MLS are in deep doo-doo when it comes to TV Ratings but the MLS has built into it's final structure the reality of limited television interest, the NHL has not.

As for soccer growing fast. You've messed your time tables a bit, the NASL was around, and then imploding by 1980. It lasted, as a stinky cadaver for a few years more, but league soccer in this country besides the indoor and semi-pro variety was dead from essentially 1980-1996, MLS rebuilt it on a slow-sustainable growth model, with a few owners with very deep pockets dedicated to building the league over the long haul. No Beckenbauer, Pele etc based league, it was built with an idea of slow growth around domestic players, and relatively affordable latin-american players of a young age. They've occasionally dipped for veteran Euro's like Djorkaeef and Latin examples of the same, but this league has pinned it's hopes on domestic growth, single-entity stadiums, and a bottoms up approach. It's had some hiccups, but it's doing it the right way for the most part.

It isn't as technically sound as the NHL in the sense that it's an elite league, it isn't, however the NHL was no longer remotely financially viable, had plateau'd and declined in fan interest, and has no forseeable longterm growth potential domestically in its youth. Soccer in the US, on the other hand, is growing across the board, in terms of tv revenue and access, fan attendance and interest, growth with youth, financial interest across the world (with ownership interest in buying in in England, Italy, Spain, and Mexico).

Will Soccer make it? It could fall apart, like before, but I seriously doubt it. Soccer is more internationally involved than ever before, it has major coverage on nine different channels in this country (ABC, espn2, espn-deportes, fox soccer channel, goltv, univision, telemundo, galavision, and telefutura), it's growing by leaps and bounds in the youth ranks, and the huge influx of latin-american's into the country will only increase it's sporting prominence. The NHL meanwhile, is just hoping for a static situation, in my view, and hopefull of international growth for international tv packages, because right now, I really don't see how it grows here period. Maybe the rule changes will work wonders, but I seriously doubt it. It maintains a higher place in the sporting landscape right now, but that is more because of tradtion, and locked in interest by fans in the NorthEast than anything else.

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not going to even touch the MLS vs NHL part of all this. However, If you have ever met me you will first notice that I am a huge NASCAR fan. You can't miss it. I always wear my Bill Elliott hat and jacket. I have a #19 Jeremy Mayfield jacket with about 3 hats, and I have a new #9 Kasey Kahne leather jacket that is at my parent's house in MI. I am also an official fan club member of Kasey Kahne 2 years running. Last year I was member #89 or some such (I packed away the certificate).

Back to HOCKEY:

Chungwa, I will never get into a whose fans are better than whose match. I was simply saying Detroit has more fans, not that they are better.

OK, for those who called it a strike.....IT WAS A LOCKOUT. It semi-psuedo turned into a strike later, but it started as a lockout. Owners and Managers ruined the deal for the fans.

Lastly (for this post anyway), I can't wait to get to NY. Then I can go to a Rangers or Islanders game (when they play the Red Wings) and wear my old Draper jersey. Sheesh, all I got here in San Diego is the stinkin Padre's....ok, and the Chargers (their football....I hate football).

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, it looks like the Penguins have been busy in the past few weeks.

So now they have the mighty Mario (if he can manage to stay healthy), the bright eyed young star Crosby, and seasoned vets Mark Recchi, John LeClair, Sergei Gonchar, and Ziggy Palffy...

Players I have heard of! Amazing! Is this the same team who dumped Jagr, Kovalev, Lang, and Straka because they couldn't afford to pay them?

Lets hope not.

So I have a question, how much impact do you think Crosby will have this year? Is he ready to score goals for the Pens right out of the box, or will he struggle at first? Because when setting up my fantasy hockey team, the yahoo prerankings had Crosby at number 538 or something like that. I wouldn't expect a number so low unless Crosby will start out on the Pens' farm team for a while...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ready for a Pens/ Flyers rivalry. I'm still in shock that the Flyers got Forsburg. It should be fun. I wonder how the coverage will be for the FLyers on OLN...after all Comcast owns both the Flyers and OLN...
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm keeping my eyes locked on ESPN to see what happens with the Wings about Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Those two were my favorite Wings, and we might lose both. Argh!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier: unless they've changed them, the Yahoo pre-rankings are done purely on last season's stats. I'm not sure how they sort between rookies, but they'd all be at the bottom. You need to bump up everyone that was hurt last year as well.

Crosby would have to have a terrible camp to start on the farm team, if only because of all the people buying tickets to see him. I think he'll have a solid but not spectacular year. My guess is he won't be a great draft pick because every league will have one guy that jumps the gun and picks him too early.

It's too bad Malkin's staying in Russia, but the team should be fun to watch.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Wings fans:

Looks like Datsyuk is staying in Russia. He demanded something like 6 million dollars a year, which is just ridiculous. But we signed Zetterberg, the better all around player, to a 4 year contract, and we still have Datsyuk as a restricted free agent for this and next season. So that's plenty of time to try and work out a deal with him, if he will relax his crazy demands.

I'm excited about preseason though. Wings look like they have a sweet team this year. It'll be nice to win the cup and not have everyone claim we bought it.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! And when the wings don't make it I will drink from a cup of your tears [Razz]

I'm getting excited about hockey coming back as well. So much for my promise to stay away for a while to teach hockey a lesson or some such nonsense.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ha! And when the wings don't make it I will drink from a cup of your tears [Razz]
I hope you ain't thirsty, because that tea will have to wait until next season, I think. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm getting excited about hockey coming back as well. So much for my promise to stay away for a while to teach hockey a lesson or some such nonsense.
I made a similar promise to myself that I'm sure I'll break.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Haha, great response Kwea.

I quite agree.

Hamson
Member # 7808

I'm really hoping Datsyuk will play with the Wings this season. Like I read in the newspaper, he would probably be the person to benifit most from having so much more open ice. Let's hope he'll come to his senses and sign to a team that's part of The International Ice Hockey Federation. And I'm VERY glad we signed Zetterberg to a four year deal. I hope I can actually get to some games this season...

And does anyone else severely disapprove of the emphisis on playing teams within your own division. That makes everything so much more.... monotonous. I mean c'mon, theres 82 games in the season, every team should play each other at least twice... We only play Toronto in the pre-season....

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

I agree, Hamson. I know that travelling from coast to coast can be killer, but surely there was a happier medium to be found.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think Datsyuk is on a bit of an ego boost at the moment. He was the star player in Moscow, and might not want to come back to a team where he will have to play second fiddle to other players. On top of that, he thinks he is worth 6 million, which he wouldn't have gotten even if there wasn't a salary cap.

If he comes down off his cloud, there's a lot of wriggle room to be had.

Hamson
Member # 7808

Very true Lyrhawn.
Hamson
Member # 7808

Lyrhawn and other Detroiters, Fox Sports Net will be broadcasting the Wings-Avs game tonight, starting at 7:30! Go watch!
Hamson
Member # 7808

WOOO Wings won! Antti Laaksonen had a sweet move though to get that goal in the third, and the goal between Lang, Williams, and Shannahan was also pretty awesome. Lindstrom did a nice job of keeping the puck in the zone during overtime, and then classicly blasted it into the net. The shootout was fun to watch too, it was sorta weird seeing in a regualr season game, but I like it.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, there's something inherently wrong with having to webstream the visiting team's sports radio station feed in order to listen to a home game because your owners are too chintzy to broadcast when the house isn't fully sold out.... Dad and I had to boot up Calgary radio over the weekend for the Hawks game.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Wings win again.

Datsyuk is back, and might be playing on Wednesday.

Games sure are a lot faster now. I wonder what ratings they are getting.

Hamson
Member # 7808

What a game...
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
ROCK ON. Sabres win!
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Wings crush the Blues.

Good opener. Way to see the youngsters make themselves known.

TheTick
Member # 2883

Damn, but that Sabres/Bruins game rocked. Too bad most of the country probably didn't see it.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I wouldn't say the division as a whole is weak.

Nashville is undefeated, and we just got off an undefeated west coast road trip against all teams who aren't in our division.

Thou shalt not sell the Wings short.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Indeed, they're starting out of the gate strong, I don't deny that. I'm just saying that, in the long term, having 3 teams that aren't considered playoff contenders in their division certainly isn't going to hurt their record.

They're in the playoffs, sure. But then I'm sure they'll be crushed [Razz]

dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
Flyers creamed Toronto yesterday.

I'm Canadian, but my brother is a huge Leafs fan, and since I don't really care, I cheer for whoever is playing against Toronto. [Razz]

Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Haha, we'll talk again after the Olympic break then Bob. [Smile]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Congrats to Manny Legace in 10 wins in the month of October, a record for the Wings.

[ October 28, 2005, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

TheTick
Member # 2883

...and Congrats to Martin Biron for winning 12 straight decisions!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Quite. That's a great streak.

I wish Manny Legace weren't injured. We're getting ripped up with him out.

TheTick
Member # 2883

It's a good thing the rest of your division aren't doing much better.

I'm heartily glad that tomorrow's game is sold out. I wanted to go, but at least attendance is growing (as the Bills suck even harder).

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ottawa and New York are on a tear. Funny that teams considered powerhouses before the lockout have laregely been marginalized. Colorado is a shadow of what it was before the lockout.

I'd say the Wings more or less stayed the same, and in some ways maybe even got a little better.

We just need consistently good goaltending, and we'd be a cup contender.

Hamson
Member # 7808

Yeah, I feel a little bit bad for Manny, as he proved at the begining of the season that he's the goaltender he was never given the chance to be, and now hes been injured for most of the season. And Howard now can't get contstant playtime as a result.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He'll be back soon. They have him in net at practice.

And poor Howard, won his first game and then downhill from there. And it isn't totally his fault, give the kid a break, six months ago he was playing college hockey in Maine, and now he's on the Wings playing star NHLers. He's made some remarkable saves, and let some go by that he should have stopped. But he has enormous potential.

I like a future for the Wings with Manny as the primary and Howard as the backup.

TheTick
Member # 2883

I wonder when the Sabres will play Ryan Miller. He had beaten out the old Biron, but this guy is playing nothing like the Marty we knew and got frustrated about. I hope he gets the start tonight since it'll be short rest for Marty.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Florida beat Detroit! [Laugh]

Take that Hockey Town! [Taunt]

Two game winning streak and counting! [The Wave]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Some interesting stats about NHL attendance here.

quote:
Believe it or not, arenas in November were filled to 91.2 percent capacity, averaging 16,818 fans per game. Exactly 3,346,812 people witnessed 199 contests live, the largest total in the 88-year history of the league.

Of the NHL's 30 teams, 24 are even or ahead of their attendance pace from 2003-04. The top eight gainers include "hotbed" regions such as Pittsburgh (35 percent), Carolina (26), Tampa Bay (24), Florida (16), Nashville (16) and San Jose (13).

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Detroit beat Tampa Bay [Laugh]

Take that Sunshine State [The Wave]

TheTick
Member # 2883

Go Marty! 13 straight! He straight robbed Surovy in the closing seconds to preserve the win, very similar to the goal he allowed last night where he gloved it but it was behind the goal line. BOOYAH.
TheTick
Member # 2883

9 game road winning streak now for the Sabres. Those Sunshine State teams are in for a butt whoopin' for Christmas.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Props to the Wings for one of the best come back victories in NHL history.

1 minute left to go in the third period, Wings are down by two. It's all but over, but Coach Mike Babcock isn't done yet. He pulls the goalie, Osgood heads for the bench. Thirty seconds later, GOAL!!!

Osgood waits by the circle, halfway to the bench, halfway to the goal, waiting to see who wins the draw. If Datsyuk loses and the Blackhawks win the face off, it'll kill too much time and neutralize our extra attacker, but he wins, and the puck flies into Wings' hands. Osgood gets to the bench and our sixth attacker hits the ice. Twenty seconds later on a slapshot from Lidstrom GOAL!!!

Seven seconds left, we go into overtime. In overtime, after almost five minutes of play with no score, it looks like we're going to a shootout, the second for the Wings, after just having won their first the game before. But in literally the last TENTH of a second in the OT, Wings score! Blackhawks want the goal reviewed, saying it was scored after the OT was over, but after a long review, it's ruled a goal. Wings win!!!

Tied for first with the Senators. Islanders and Predators are breathing down our necks.

TheTick
Member # 2883

That game was epic. It's also a great demonstration of what the new rules offer. Those two goal leads used to be insurmountable. Now, you better stay to the end.

Congrats to Ryan Miller, for Defensive Player of the Week honors. 2-0-0 with a .96 Goals Against Average and a .969 Save Percentage.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.