FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY (Page 1)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
FINALLY!!!!

Finally! My dreams come true!! HOCKEY IS BACK!!

[ July 02, 2008, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Mushroom, Mushroom!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Part of me wants to jump up and down and see if I can get tickets for the Caps home opener.

Part of me wants tobeg fans to never go to or watch another NHL game again to punish them for the lockout and to tell the other sports leagues that if you sell a product that depends on the emotional attachment of your customers, you would do well not to jerk them around like this.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I love my team, and my team loves me.

I trust they did whatever they could to keep Hockey going.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehehe, I work for a wedding company and immediately after the last hockey season was cancelled, we were flooded with orders from Canada.

"Well, Elmira, since there's no hockey this year, ya wanna get hitched?"

It started the very day after the announcement.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!

To be fair, I haven't really been into professional hockey since around 1998, but I could see myself getting back into it.

The reasons I lost interest were numerous, but it was mostly because the Pittsburg Penguins, who I had followed so closely for the couple years previous were trading away all their good players for cheaper ones. You know, to save cash after going bankrupt (Jagr, Kovalev, others). When Mario came back and I cheared, but he spent most of his time injured, and the team sunk to last place.

It just wasn't making me happy watching my beloved team get worse and worse every year.

During the year without hockey, I have moved a couple times, and can use that, along with the gap, to pick a new team. Perhaps one closer to me.

Now the three closest hockey teams to Omaha are the Minnesota Wild, the Colorado Avalanche, and the St. Louis Blues.

I will never be an Avalanche fan. Far too many of those as there is. I've never really liked the Blues either.

But the Wild is a fairly new team, and the closest to me. Their colors and name don't suck. Looking at their record the last year they played, they were last in their division, but still one game over 500. Looking at their roster that year, the only guy I've ever heard of is the goalie.

Sounds pretty good team to get behind [Smile] . No bandwagon, and lots of room for improvement.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Our sports talk guys called it weeks ago. They knew today would be the day it was announced, as it's the lull day after the MLB 'all star' game...no other news to get in the way.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Bah, Colorado sucks!

GO WINGS!!!

HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY!!!!!!

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a huge Red Wings fan, so I am glad in part...but the other part of me is pissed, and doesn't want to support such a group of greedy, ignorant, spoiled people.

I mean BOTH sides of this, not just one. They make more money than I ever will, and they get all pouty and lose a whole season over this crap?

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

No! Don't lose faith fellow Wings fan!

Remember the Wings are the team where everyone took a voluntary pay cut so they could get Hull and Chelios a couple years ago! McCarty has a cancer research foundation! They care more about the team, and the fans than money.

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Hocky Sucksorz.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
just kidding.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

I myself was on the owners side in the conflict. The best thing to ever happen to pro football was the salary cap.

A salary cap in baseball would make that sport infinitely more interesting to me.

Of course I wasn't opposed to a salary cap in hockey. The owners didn't seem "greedy" to me, since half of them were losing money under the old way. The best thing to happen to their pocket books was not having a season.

Though I didn't follow the dispute as much as some folks, and perhaps I am wrong about some details...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to stay mad and spite them too, but if enough people do that the game will suffer and I really don't want to lose the game again. So I guess I'm going to have to be the bigger man here.

It's an interesting deal, though. There's a 1.9% difference between the lowest and highest spending teams, which is about the same as the NFL, and players become unrestricted free agents at 27 or after 7 years play (whichever comes first) which could mean a lot more player movement.

On the whole though, it's great news for the small market teams who've had to syphon off their talent because they couldn't afford to keep them. Looks like the Wings, Avalance, and their ilk won't be able to buy cups any more [Smile]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I sided more with the owners as well, but not completely. There were plenty of offers that might have worked, and they were all idiots to lose a season, and God knows how many fans, over this.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mushroom, Mushroom!
That's awesome, Porter!

I thought I was going to be the "original" one and post that.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
woohoooo hockey!!!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of disappointed that this isn't one of those mesmerizing flash animation loops. Or is that what the Mushroom thing is about?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry... hockey?

Whatzat?

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's it, mothertree.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been off professional hockey since I was unable to watch the Canadiens on tv with my grandfather, so, let's see, about thirty years.

My dad coached hockey when I was a kid, so I loved watching hockey th most when it was right in front of me.

I played for a year in college, the best sports year of my life. And I continue to enjoy watching women's hockey. I got to see the top US girls play in Lake Placid a few weeks ago for a scouting camp. They get better and better each year. My friend's daughter was recruited as goalie for UNH. It was so much fun to watch her, and I plan to go and see her next year.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
No, sorry, still not following... is it some sort of strange Canadian sport? Like Curling?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, heard about this earlier in the day, and im pretty excited. And dissappointed. To set things straight, the NFL sucks, for numerous reasons, one of them being the salary cap. The constant movement of players leaves little/no time to get to like them, or to not dislike them. I'm a huge Wings fan. The Wings are a really great team, player wise, fan-interaction wise, and the fact that they communicate so much, and are all pretty much really good friends. Even if they were still a great team, with a constant movement of superstars going in and out of Detroit, I wouldn't be able to appreciate them nearly as much, and I would lose a great deal of devotion, due to the fact that it would look too much like a company.

I don't think I'd look at it like the Wings 'buy' their cups (of course this, like the rest of my ranting, is most likely bias-ism). They collect a talented group of individuals that are supported by a heavily devoted fan base, like us folk here in Hockey Town.

I'm glad hockeys back, relived in fact. But I'm just hoping that the contract that was dealt around doesn't affect teams enough to rip them apart just because the collective talents of their team want a fair (comparitavly to the rest of the NHL teams, and across other US sports leagues) paycheck.

Here's looking forward to a new (and hopefully better{whatever your definition of that may be}) 05-06 NHL season!

GO WINGS!

P.S. Lyrhawn and Kwea, do you guys live in the Detroit area?

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Florida is the reigning NHL champions, right?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I live in Metro Detroit, southeastern Oakland County. Just a hop, skip and a jump away from Detroit.

(It's like 10 minutes away if I take Woodward, I live right off 11 mile)

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Tampa Bay Lightning, yes, they are the current champs.
wordman
Member # 1307

- posted      Profile for wordman           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Wings fans, remember 1995? Who could ever forget such a heavily favored team being swept in the Finals.

And by no less than the Gretzky-maligned "Mickey Mouse operation," the New Jersey Devils.

quote:
New Jersey became just the sixth team in history to win a Stanley Cup Championship in their first finals appearance, and the first to sweep a series. (Emphasis added)
Go, Devils.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

We remember taking it back to back in 97 and 98. And then again in 2002.

I remember Game Four of the 2002 finals against Carolina. I was going to my graduation ceremony a couple days later, but my high school always had an All Night Party for the seniors. There were events, and it was basically a carnival that lasted all night.

Well I left my house for the party (which is at the school) when the game was at the end of the third period, still tied. I got there and went to the detention room, which was the only room open that had a tv, and began watching it with a couple other fans. A couple HOURS later 60 kids were crammed into a room the size of a large pantry staring at the television as the game was going into TRIPLE overtime.

By that time it was 2 in the morning. Hot and stuffy in there. The kids who couldn't fit into the room were funneling drinks in to us in exchange for us letting them know what was going on. Every time the puck clanked off the pipes the whole room screamed. Every check, every penalty and power play, every line change practically we'd "Oooh!" and "ahh!" when something would happen.

Finally in the Third OT, Larionov brought the LONGEST Stanley Cup final game ever to a close for a Wings victory.

That's a night I wish I could live over and over again.

wordman
Member # 1307

::tips hat to Wings::

::imagines hoisting the Cup in 2001 and 2003 with the Devils::

::grimaces while remembering that 2002 should have been ours as well::

::CHEERS that next year is ON::

Posts: 781 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Being a Red Wings fan who is opposed to a hockey salary cap is like being a Yankees fan opposed to a baseball one.
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard on the radio that during the 'no-season' there was an all time number of babies being conceived in Calgary. The radio host was trying to claim that if there isn't any hockey to watch, well, then you might as well ...
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I live in Metro Detroit, southeastern Oakland County. Just a hop, skip and a jump away from Detroit.

(It's like 10 minutes away if I take Woodward, I live right off 11 mile)

Really? I live off 11 mile too, but the Farmington Hills part of it.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
No, sorry, still not following... is it some sort of strange Canadian sport? Like Curling?

Hey! Don't go talking about curling like that. I love that game. I'm awful at it but it is so much fun.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Curling *is* insanely fun, considering it involves a broom and sweeping!
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank God. I was really worried the NHL was going to collapse. Hockey is the only sport we have here in the states where 'World Champions' really means World Champions; unlike Baseball, Football, or Basketball.

Looking forward to the new season!

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

Wings fan here too. Been watching them since the 80's (you know, back when they couldn't win a game even if they shot all the players on the opposing team).

11 mile huh?

I lived off of 8 mile in Redford. Take Beach Daily Rd to the old fire house on the park, take a right on ......Pickford, then a... left on Glenmore. The fourth house down is the one I lived in until we moved in 1989. Wow, I still remember all that.....I hated that place. The Catholic School on the corner of Beach and 8 is where they tried to teach me until 5th grade. Then I went to public school.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

Haha, where do you reside now?
sky_pager
Member # 7796

- posted      Profile for sky_pager   Email sky_pager         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! To many Wings fans on this thread. Scary.

And Devils Blah! The only good thing about being a sports fan in New Jersey is that you can drive to Philadelphia.

(all in good fun)

Go Flyers!!!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
Philly's one of the teams I like to watch too. [Cool]

Everybody likes the Wings. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wordman
Member # 1307

Philly may be fun, but 30 years without the Cup? Winning back to back is great, but if they're your only Cup wins, then something's missing. I'll take and keep my Devils, thank you very much.

But props to Roenick for his comments last month. Loved it.

quote:
We're trying to get this thing back on the ice and make it better for the fans. If you don't realize that, then don't come. We don't want you in the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, we don't want you to watch hockey.

Hamson
Member # 7808

Metro-Detroit is a very hockey enthusiastic area.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I grew up two blocks from Hall and Van Dyke, in Utica. Right where M59 starts, although back then it was a much smaller highway.

There is a pizza shop, Bushamies (sp?), at the end of the road where I use to live, people from all over go there it was so good. [Big Grin]

About 20 min from Detroit, if the traffic was good.

My dad worked at Lakeside mall, at the 3rd largest JCPenney in the country....I thin it was the largest one for a while when it first opened... [Big Grin]

sky_pager
Member # 7796

- posted      Profile for sky_pager   Email sky_pager         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Philly may be fun, but 30 years without the Cup? Winning back to back is great, but if they're your only Cup wins, then something's missing.
Ouch!! I hate when the truth hurts. But I'm glad to see the NHL back. I had nothing to watch after football season. (don't say it New England, I already know.)
Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I live off 11 mile in Royal Oak.

And it's not really fair to say "everyone likes the Wings" like it's a bad thing.

I'm betting Metro Detroit has more fans than 10 of the weakest hockey cities put together.

That's like saying everyone loves the Avs. Not our fault Detroit is Hockey Town.

Hamson
Member # 7808

I was just at the mall yesterday, I popped in a sports store and noticed all Red Wings jerseys were 40% off (these are the quality ones). So I'm thinking I may have to grab one for only $90. Probably Datsyuk's. (although in the long run it would be cooler to have someones jersey who was more well known, ie Yzerman, Lindstrom, *mental block*). This is bad, not remembering players on the team.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'd prefer Datsyuk or Zetterberg. I like the younger players.

But Yzerman, Lidstrom, McCarty, Chelios, Shanahan, Dandenault.

Hatcher would be stretching it, as far as I'm concerned he hasn't really been playing on the Wings long enough to want his jersey.

ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo! Draft lottery happens in 30 minutes. I hope it turns out well for the Leafs.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. They kept flipping coins this morning, trying to show the odds that the Sabres could get the first pick. The idea was they had to guess 4 coin flips in a row. Can you tell they are hockey starved?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there probably wasn't a better place for him to go, under the wing of one of the greatest players ever who came into the league with similar expectations. Pittsburgh is going to have an interesting starting line, that's for sure.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

Yes, Hasn't Hatcher only played for one season, and that was when he messed up his leg and played for like 6 games? or has it been two seasons?

Im glad we finally have a big hitter on the team (McCarty doesn't count).

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.