FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » update on the Matt issue (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: update on the Matt issue
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
sounds to me like his best friend is the really jealous type and is afraid that you are threatening their relationship and that the only way to protect their relationship is by having you completely out of the picture
I don't think we have enough information about the friend to come to this conclusion. But even if it's true, Matt's decisions are his own. He is responsible for his relationship with Tinros. Caving to his friend is not a good solution. And that he asks his parents about this and they encourage him to do so wierds me out.

//oh, this was written before I saw Camus' additional post. I think the lying is the real problem- so perhaps we all agree.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
There again, who asks for advice on what is plainly a rather personal problem, on an Internet message board?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you not read half the threads here, KoM? Obviously a whole lot of people. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't Matt just stop hanging out with his friend to hang out with Tinros? I don't mean altogether, but seriously, you CAN have more than one friend at the same time and there's no reason why this guy should be monopolizing his time unless Matt wants him to.

Like others have said, it's not like this other guy is holding him at gunpoint, it just sounds like Matt either has no guts or he's using it as an excuse.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Asking for personal advice in an anonymous way could be a good way to get feedback on a subject that you feel uncomfortable discussing with those close to you.

Not that I would know... *waves to Rico*

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Matt and his best friend have been best friends since the guy moved here about 5 years ago, when we were in 7th grade. I met Matt in 6th grade, when we knew him as YodaBoy(he's a HUGE SW fan), but I never got to know him until our freshman year, when we started dating the first time.

The problem with Matt "splitting" his tiem between us is that a lot of the time, when he's not working, doing homework, or doing chores and stuff for his parents, he is working on projects for IT with his best friend. Some of them are just stupid ideas they give up on in about an hour, but when Matt gets an idea he's excited about, he goes all out for months at a time... and since his ideas are computer related, and I know virtually NOTHING about computers, he goes to his best friend.

Things are being worked out. Matt and I made a deal- he's going to teach me web design and programming languages, and I'm teaching him to play piano. We get the most important thing in each other's lives melded into our own, so we can understand each other better.

Hey, at least I didn't ask him to play flute with me.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
You're being played.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, wait.

Matt is the Star Wars fan, or his best friend is?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
What happened to Matt's vow of honesty?
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Matt, I think, is full of crap. He has this huge moral standing on kissing, and on being a good boy and following all the rules. But he has to ask permission to lie to his best friend so he can hang out with this girlfriend (whom apparently he has little to nothing in common with).

I feel like I'm watching a really goofy episode of Boy Meets World or The OC. Every time you try and defend him, or explain how the situation is evolving it sounds more and more childish, immature, and incredibly unhealthy.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

let me clarify: MATT is the SW fan.

also let me clarify: Matt will only lie as a last resort, if his friend does the "call every 15 minutes until you give in and do something with me" approach. (Lyrhawn, if you didn't know, I'm not his girlfriend anymore, just a good friend.)

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Matt will only lie as a last resort, if his friend does the "call every 15 minutes until you give in and do something with me" approach.
Let me just point out that this is not in fact a last resort.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Matt will only lie as a last resort, if his friend does the "call every 15 minutes until you give in and do something with me" approach.
Let me just point out that this is not in fact a last resort.
And let me point out that tolerating and responding to this kind of behavior from *anyone* is as good a sign as any that the boy does not understand how to maintain an appropriate relationship.

Tinros, for this and many other good reasons being put forth here (let me join those who are aghast at the idea that kissing is less excusable than lying to get someone to leave you alone) my advice to you is to run, don't walk, away from Matt.

Alternatively, do this: you say he is your best friend... let's put this to the simple, non-destructive test of letting your relationship with him be what he wants it to be. Don't initiate any contact or meeting with him. See how long it takes for him to contact you, and then how long it takes for him to suggest getting together. Just roll with whatever he wants for a couple of weeks. This should give you a good idea of how much he really wants to spend time with you.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
So lying is preferable to saying "Look you, today I'm with Tinros; back off!"? Or even, "Well, Tinros is here, but you can come over and hang out if you like." I mean, really, how complicated can this be? Or if he absolutely insists on lying, how about "Well, Tinros is here and I think I've got a chance at getting laid, so cut me some slack, will ya?" There's a boast that any boy should respect. And incidentally, lying does not get any more acceptable because you have permission from your parents. What, your god is like a high school principal? "Dear God, Matt was sick yesterday and could not do his morality. Please excuse him from harp-playing today."
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
(I can't believe I'm actually going to say this. This has got to be a first. No, no, really, it IS a first. And probably an only. Except for the bit about getting laid. But the rest of it - yeah, absolutely.)

Yeah, what KoM said.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

[Big Grin]
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Dear God, Matt was sick yesterday and could not do his morality. Please excuse him from harp-playing today."
LOL, KoM. Really, what you wrote made me laugh out loud.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. Holy crap that was funny. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(I can't believe I'm actually going to say this. This has got to be a first. No, no, really, it IS a first. And probably an only. Except for the bit about getting laid. But the rest of it - yeah, absolutely.)

Yeah, what KoM said.

*slaps a blue ribbon on KoM's post*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh, and to think I was going to stop looking in this thread! What a loss that would have been!

[ROFL]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Matt, who is purportedly in tune with modern technology, should be able to figure out how to turn off the telphone ringer, or change it to one ring only. Caller-ID is also cheap.

It is a myth, and one that I was held hostage by for many years, that one has to answer one's phone (whether cell or home phone) when it rings. Learning that is a liberating step.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Same with answering the door. Same to giving in to other people's demands or requests.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel so freeeeeeeeeeee now that I am not a slave to my phone. Ring little phone... Ring ring ring. I know where the silence! button is.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Learning to say "no" to people asking you to do something you don't want to is an important step in life that I'm afraid some people (like my mother-in-law) never quite take.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Matt has caller ID. However, he has to keep the phone "ring-able" at all times, because his dad is a firefighter, and they never know what might happen while his dad is at work.

He calls me almost every night now.

And he told his friend today to back off.

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the lesson here is that one should avoid all CS types. I mean they just don't have the social skills required to interact with people.

Let's just ship them all off to an island where they can make each other miserable.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Matt just takes two days to figure out what the appropriate response should be in any situation. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I think Matt just takes two days to figure out what the appropriate response should be in any situation. [Smile]

Actually, I'd agree with that completely. He certainly takes his time making up his mind.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

[ROFL] @ sarahdipity

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Also phones these days can still be set for a maximum number of rings. 2-3 should be sufficient to alert the family to check the ID to see if Dad is in distress... In fact, if you get the right kind of phone, you could set a unique ring for "Dad's work" and turn everyone else off.

AJ

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

My cell phone plays the Darth Vader Imperial March whenever my work is calling.

It also plays when my mother is calling. Though she isn't a fan of that at all.

Tinros
Member # 8328

well, yeah, he has an answering machine, and his phone is set to 4 rings. But if he's on the phone, it starts beeping at him when someone is calling, and with his phone, there's no way to get it to stop unless you switch over and back, hanging up on the person, or wait for them to hang up.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
When I had my own cell phone, I used the "composer" feature to set my own ringtones. It played "Let me Call you Sweetheart" when Jeff called, "Old Folks at Home" when one of my parents called, and "I am a Child of God" when someone from my YSA group called. For everyone else, it played "Banks of the Ohio"-- one of my favorite murder ballads. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

quote:
And he told his friend today to back off.
Go Matt!! [The Wave]
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
There's been much speculation about Matt's sexual orientation. Tinros has been very adamant concerning this issue and I'm willing to accept her assertion, but perhaps we've not questioned the proper party in this Peyton Place triangle.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, Punwit.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh, I'd already thought of that . . . [Big Grin]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
tinros is matt's friend gay?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jh
Member # 7727

- posted      Profile for jh   Email jh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get why a guy who seems as religious as Matt is would have such a problem with lying that he has to take a vow to prevent himself from doing so. He could take a vow that would actually help someone; like vowing to volunteer at a homeless shelter or donate money to AIDS.

Second, I don't get why he had to ask his parents to break that vow. What a wimp.

Posts: 155 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
donate money to AIDS.
OK, it's a nitpick, I know it's a nitpick, but... Might I suggest that you actually meant "donate money to AIDS research?"
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I thought she said earlier that Matt's friend has a girlfriend.

I'd love to know how THAT is still a functional relationship. Is this town littered with girls who have no standards when it comes to how they are treated by men?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Um, yeah. Pretty much.
Tinros
Member # 8328

Matt's friend has a girlfriend that he is VERY VERY "active" with. I'm surprised he's still a virgin. It got so bad we had to ask them to save it for when they were alone.

Matt's friend treats her just fine. He and his girlfriend are the typical, depressed, somewhat-gothic teenagers. Funny, they go to Matt's church. And they have wonderful families, large houses, anything they want. But they complain that no one cares about them. Hmm, I wonder why.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
[blunt]

Matt's hiding behind his best friend, or nutless, or a little of both.

[/blunt]

If you don't believe me, try this little exercise:

Ask yourself, "If I was Matt, and I didn't want to see Tinros anymore but didn't want to hurt her feelings, how might I go about doing that?"

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:
He and his girlfriend are the typical, depressed, somewhat-gothic teenagers. Funny, they go to Matt's church. And they have wonderful families, large houses, anything they want. But they complain that no one cares about them. Hmm, I wonder why.

Um, a little judgmental, are we? If Matt's friend can pick up on how you feel about him at all, I'm not surprised he doesn't like you and is trying to keep you away from Matt.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Not really judgemental. I'm repeating what they say about themselves.
King of Men
Member # 6684

Gossipy, then? But seriously, when did this thread turn into a bash-Tinros-over-the-head-with-her-immaturity free-for-all?
Amanecer
Member # 4068

quote:
And they have wonderful families, large houses, anything they want.
This may be all that you've observed but if they feel like something is lacking in their lives, there's a decent chance that there is. Money doesn't equate to happiness and other people's families are never as wonderful as they seem. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] Wait a minute here. Do I actually agree with KoM on something? I couldn't be. There's gotta be some other reason why I would have a similar thought as KoM. [Angst]
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Camus, I know what you mean. I'm not sure what's happening here, either. Is it possible that KoM is actually becoming *gasp* reasonable? [Dont Know] It's either that, or the fabric of the universe is unravelling at an alarming pace.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.