FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Serenity sequel? (Contains spoilers) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Serenity sequel? (Contains spoilers)
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I get to cuddle up to Summer Glau
Keep it up, my assassin-bot is almost ready.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Assassin-bot? Wouldn't it be easier to just drive out there, tie-up Chris, throw him in a closet then go and meet them?
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
By that logic, we'd be better served by driving out there and tying up the cast of Firefly.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
::wonders when Chris is going to meet Summer Glau::
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
By that logic, we'd be better served by driving out there and tying up the cast of Firefly.

I figuered that it wouldn't be the best way to make first impressions.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I figuered that it wouldn't be the best way to make first impressions.
I don't need them for "first impressions."
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Kaylee and River are cute, and Inara is pretty, but Gina Torres is beautiful. That woman could be a Greek goddess.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
PLOT SPOILERS WITHIN

I don't think I'd like to see any more Firefly that takes place in the post-movie realm.

It was a nice ending to the story, but as far as I'm concerned much of the driving force from the show is gone now. There's no more Wash/Zoe married on a ship angle, no more crazy sister angle, no more morality speeches and history guessing from Book. No more big bad Alliance breathing down their necks with a mass populace that doesn't care allowing them to go about their pleasantly illegal lives.

Any show that took place now would have to feature a much more hardass Zoe, who I'd imagine is emotionally barren. A lot more focus on Inara and Mal, which is a plot line I found more annoying than enticing. I kept getting Donna/Josh and Daphne/Niles vibes from the whole thing (though I guess the best analogy is actually Han/Leia vibes). Regardless, it's played out and I would hate for it to become the focus of a sequel or new series.

Wash was half the reason I watched the show, he was great, and a little part of my love for the show died with him. Kaylee and Simon are together now, which ruins some of the cute "ships passing in the night" near misses that their relationship was previously made of. Also, the fact that Simon and Kaylee are no longer wanted by the Alliance takes away a lot of the threat factor, and demotes the two of them to mere doctor and savant, rather than intriguing fugitives.

Basically, I think Whedon capped off too many of his best plot elements from the show to make anything further of extreme interest. He'd have to introduce new elements and new characeters, and they'd have to be very good, or else I'll just be annoyed by how much less good they are from what the show used to have.

Nothing will ever be as good as the first season. Certainly not the movie, and mostly likely nothing that may follow in the future.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
There we have it; someone who already thinks that Firefly has jumped the shark. You make some good points though. Serenity did wrap up a lot of the best aspects of the series. I still think it would be great if it continued. Incidentally, Wash and Book happened to be my least favourite characters, which is not to say that I don't like them, they just happened to be the ones I liked the least.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There we have it; someone who already thinks that Firefly has jumped the shark.
Keep in mind that he's also someone who thinks Episode 3 is one of the best movies ever made.

That said, I think Whedon clearly DID tie up most of the loose ends -- mainly because, as he's said, he intended for the film to provide closure -- and he'd need to find new hooks for a continued plotline.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just say that Wash and book can be brought back in for extended flashbacks.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kaylee and River and very very

very

very very cute.

Kaylee's one of the cutest characters ever created. I just want to squeeze her.

Then punch Chris and take his picture.

That is, steal the picture of him and Jewel Staite, not photograph him.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Inara's my favourite. [Smile] I'm not generally big on lots of makeup, but she exudes a powerful aura of sensuality and self-assuredness and I find it very attractive (and not just in her, either). I like her when she's poised but I like her even more when she isn't.

SPOILER

Like at the end of the movie when she smiles at Mal -- the difference between that smile and the one she uses on Atherton in Shindig keeps coming back to me. That smile at the end of Serenity warmed my heart so much that it broke. [Smile] [Smile] But, as I've said, the Mal-Inara thing is my favourite part of the whole story. [Smile]

I do find Morena Baccarin attractive, and her natural smile is just wonderful, but I haven't seen enough of her out-of-character to get a sense of how much she shares those traits of Inara's.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
FX Sci-Fi & Fantasy Fair, Jan. 27, 28, 29 at the Central Florida Fairgrounds in Orlando. Alan Tudyk and Summer Glau are scheduled to be there, along with a ton of other guests.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Kaylee and River are cute, and Inara is pretty, but Gina Torres is beautiful. That woman could be a Greek goddess.

That's almost exactly what I was going to say.

I have to say that I don't get Icarus' likening of Inara to Troi. I felt that in many ways Inara was very consciously written as a response to characters like Troi and 7 of 9, but I can't see her as either of them "all over again".

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
Inara's my favourite. [Smile] I'm not generally big on lots of makeup, but she exudes a powerful aura of sensuality and self-assuredness and I find it very attractive (and not just in her, either). I like her when she's poised but I like her even more when she isn't.

SPOILER

Like at the end of the movie when she smiles at Mal -- the difference between that smile and the one she uses on Atherton in Shindig keeps coming back to me. That smile at the end of Serenity warmed my heart so much that it broke. [Smile] [Smile] But, as I've said, the Mal-Inara thing is my favourite part of the whole story. [Smile]

Inara is a close second for me; the whole self assured sensuality thing is something that I respond to pretty well also (and like you, the Inara-Mal plotline was my favorite in the series. I noticed the differences in those two smiles also, and had a similar reaction to the second one. Morena Baccarin does a fantastic job of portraying both the glossy, "public" Inara and the more intimate, human "private" Inara.

Lyrhawn, those plotlines have been pretty well capped off, it's true, but there are others that haven't been resolved. I'm thinking specifically of Inara's backstory. What was in that needle? Why did she leave the chapterhouse (or whatever it's called) and head out into The Black? What's beyond her "I don't want to die at all" comment (beyond the obvious?). Lots of good stuff to be mined there. Plus, there's Zoe's likely pregnancy, Niska's animosity, the return of Jubal Early, people flushed out of government positions by Mal's wave about Miranda who might have a bone to pick with Serenity, the temptation of Simon to return to a plush life (now that the bounty has been lifted from his head) versus his desire to stay with River, and god knows what else that Joss has brewing. The show would have to change, sure, but change is not a bad thing, and Firefly was never a series that was all about flipping a reset switch at the end of every episode.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:

Well, she has played Cleopatra. Not quite the same, but close, no?

-o-

I don't perceive Inara as self-assured. She strikes me as someone who has, after years of reading self-help books, made a conscious decision to act self-assured. Her assurance feels like a constant effort to me. (And her interactions with Mal give the lie to her self-assurance.)

But a little of attraction is what we bring to things. She reminds me of women I have known and not found attractive. I also hate it when women wear a lot of makeup. I mean, I respect their right to do whatever they want with their appearance, but it's a najor turn-off with me.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Self-assuredness may not have been the right word. I'm trying to express a combination of "she's comfortable and secure with herself" and "she is generally confident in her dealings with others." Or something like that. Her interactions with Mal are by her own admission (in one of the early episodes, her conversation about Mal with Book) not the norm for her. You can be mostly confident and still be insecure at times, particularly around someone you're strongly attracted to. [Smile]

Inara: "Why are you so fascinated by the captain?"
Book: "Well, he's something of a mystery. ... Why are you?"
Inara: "Because so few men are."

To be honest with you, in some ways (this aura thing and the wonderful smile) she reminds me a little bit of my girlfriend. [Smile]

I do agree with your point that our perceptions are coloured by our experiences. I don't expect everyone to agree with me about Inara, but she is definitely my favourite... and I'm not much for makeup either, actually. Inara is the exception that proves the rule. [Wink] I like how Morena Baccarin looks without makeup too, but I've never seen her as Inara without makeup, so I don't know if I would like that as much. I did think that Inara was wearing less makeup (or that it was less pronounced/obvious) in the movie, and I liked that.

[Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To be honest with you, in some ways (this aura thing and the wonderful smile) she reminds me a little bit of my girlfriend.
See in those same ways, your girlfriend reminds me a little bit of Kaylee. But then I find Kaylee much more attractive than Inara. Inara is pretty, but Kaylee just glows.

But then I've never met your girlfriend in person, so I'll leave you to judge whom she more resembles.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

She doesn't remind me of your girlfriend. (And yeah, if I had to liken your girlfriend to a Firefly character, it would be Kaylee.)

(FWIW)

-o-

quote:
I'm trying to express a combination of "she's comfortable and secure with herself" and "she is generally confident in her dealings with others."
*nod* But I just don't see her that way. I see Mal as the exception not because she's uncomfortable around him, but because around him the sham breaks down.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
pffft! I've known twinky's girlfriend longer than any of you, and if she's anyone on Firefly, she's Jayne.
Unquestionably.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
*mutters grumpily about misplaced priorities in con guest lists*
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm like anyone on Firefly, I'm like Simon.

I'd like to hear Niki's thoughts on that, since she knows me better than anyone [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
quote:

Well, she has played Cleopatra. Not quite the same, but close, no?

She also played something of a fallen godess at the end of the 4th season on Angel.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I always imagine Inara as similar to Irulan from Dune. Trained in a deep ritualistic way, trained to read emotions and to divulge only what emotions she wants to convey. Unfortunately her training breaks down around Mal. But it's been years since I read Dune. *shrug*
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

All of this would be why I used qualifiers like "in some ways" and "a little bit," and indeed enumerated the aforementioned ways. [Razz]

I'd say Jayne isn't bratty enough, though, Enig. [Wink] The biggest brat on the ship is River, but we don't see it much because River is mostly busy being crazy.

Kaylee, however, I definitely don't see. But then, I would reverse Ophelia's assessment. I'm not particularly attracted to Kaylee... or, really, anyone on the ship other than Inara. They're all attractive, but Inara is the only one who attracts me. [Smile]

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
What do you guys see in Zoe that I don't? She's last on my last by alot.

"Gaal- I assumed he was talking about himself in that sequence."

He got advice from himself? And since when was he a tracker?

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
I take advice from myself all the time [Wink] I think I've got Kaylee at #1, and the others clumped at #2.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
He himself was giving advice to the Operative. The line was "Advice from an old tracker" which sounds to me like my grandma telling me, "take some advice from an old lady."

I think Mal is very likely to have done a fair bit of tracking in his smuggling career.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

Didn't Mal hire Jayne after Jayne tracked him down? Maybe Jayne is the tracker!
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Serenity, has anyone tried the new role playing game? I looked at it, but it seemed...not very well put together. I didn't feel like I would understand how the mechanisms off the game would work.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
She's tough. She's self-assured. She's older. She's not "cute."
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"He himself was giving advice to the Operative. The line was "Advice from an old tracker" which sounds to me like my grandma telling me, "take some advice from an old lady." "

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I guess I could hear it that way.

"She's tough. She's self-assured. She's older. She's not "cute.""

So you don't think she's good-looking, you're just attracted to her personality?

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javelin
Member # 8643

- posted      Profile for Javelin   Email Javelin         Edit/Delete Post 
How did we decide the bounty has been called off?
Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
quote:
She's tough. She's self-assured. She's older. She's not "cute."
Agreed. I'd add drop dead gorgeous to that list though.
smitty
Member # 8855

Well, even if it wasn't, they're exceptionally well known now. It wouldn't be the same.
Javelin
Member # 8643

- posted      Profile for Javelin   Email Javelin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
How many of the Serenity cast were supervillians in Buffy or Angel?

Mal was Caleb, Zoe was Jasmine, and Jane was super-liason to the senior partners. All three did serious damage and generally kicked butt at will until the superhero learned the right trick.

Was anyone else a Wheedon big bad?

River was a dancer entrapped by a sorceror in Angel - not a big bad, but a role...
Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
She's tall, slim, and curvy at the same time. The other women have generally two out of the three.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by smitty:
Well, even if it wasn't, they're exceptionally well known now. It wouldn't be the same.

But the fact that things don't stay the same isn't a bad thing at all! I'm happier with a show if plotlines advance and characters evolve.
smitty
Member # 8855

Which episode was that, Jav? Can't remember her. Although I do remember seeing her on a CSI recently... may have been a re-run
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by smitty:

Are they? We're never given any indication in the movie that the public at large learns who broadwaved the Miranda clip.
smitty
Member # 8855

Well, well known by the Alliance, at any rate - which would make it harder to hide/run from them.
twinky
Member # 693

That's true, but the Alliance could have come and collected them at any time while the Operative was fixing up Serenity. I wonder if they think they can't act against the "culprits" of the broadawaving for fear of inciting rebellion? Maybe the public did hear who did it.
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which episode was that, Jav?
She played Prima Ballerina in the episode entitled Waiting in the Wings.

The CSI episode was What's Eating Gilbert Grissom? which aired in November 2004.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
River was a dancer entrapped by a sorceror in Angel - not a big bad, but a role...
That was a good episode.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had to pick the series character that I was most attracted to, it'd be Kaylee by a slightly-more-than-smallish margain. I joke that through the entire series you can tell who the main character of the episode is by whether or not they step on Kaylee's feelings. I can sympathize with that in my life at least.

In terms of being attracted the actresses, I'd probably have to say Summer Glau would be at the top of the list. She has an astonishing (and) addicting grace to her throughout the series / movie, and that is something that's hard to learn (or fake) for a role.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
"She's tough. She's self-assured. She's older. She's not "cute.""

So you don't think she's good-looking, you're just attracted to her personality?

No. That's not it at all. I think she's hot. I don't think she's cute. Maybe I'm weird in this, but to me "cute" has a particular meaning apart from good looking. It's good looking in a youthful, slightly childish way.

Youth is wonderful. I think many twenty-year-olds are sexually attractive. But someone older holds, for me, her own attraction . . . something I perceive as an added depth.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Notice that I picked Gina Torres, not Zoe.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There we have it; someone who already thinks that Firefly has jumped the shark.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind that he's also someone who thinks Episode 3 is one of the best movies ever made.

Oh Tom, you crazy crazy man that makes stuff up and misleads people. Firstly, I never said it was anywhere near one of the greatest movies ever made. I said it was my favorite of 2005, and I also added that that was mostly due to my love of Star Wars. That has little to do with which was actually the BEST of 2005 or for that matter, the best movie EVER MADE, it was simply a personal favorite.

Movies that follow Star Wars on my top ten list of 2005 are Howl's Moving Castle, Hotel Rwanda, Downfall (Der Untergang), Elizabethtown, Sin City, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Wedding Crashers and others. All for different reasons. Serenity makes the list but closer to the bottom, simply because as an addendum to the series, it works, but as a stand alone, there are too many holes in it. Case in point among them is that SteveRogers had no idea who Book was. And there was much else that I didn't like, but I've covered that elsewhere.

Either way, that's kind of a cheap shot against a host of my valid points about Serenity and Firefly to try and discredit me over my opinion on a seperate series don't you think? Especially given the fact that you more or less seemed to agree with me after you took the cheap shot. The only conclusion I can thus come to is that you were trying to get an easy laugh at my expense, and that it actually had nothing to do with Firefly.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You're entirely right. It was a cheap laugh at your expense, Lucas-boy. [Wink]
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.