FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The HatRack Congress and Supreme Court (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The HatRack Congress and Supreme Court
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Chreese Sroup           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the first rule should be your reg date has to say: a very long time ago.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone guess the first rule of Royalty threads, which dates back to USENET?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
um, don't talk about Royalty threads?
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
TomD, you're right. n00bs ARE cute.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
First Rule of Royalty Threads: if you have to ask, you aren't.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Protection of Established Members of the Hatrack Community must be maintained at all times

2. This court shall have no right to declare war on any member of the Hatrack Community

3. This court shall make no law that restricts a Hatrackers right to free speech

4. Ample evidence must be brought before this court for us to rule a guilty verdict

5. At least two witnesses are needed for a case in order for it to be brought before this Court

6. An accused may have a representative if they feel that they are not up to defending themselves

7. A defendant may request the 5th so as to stay silent and legally keep from incriminating his or herself

8. This court reserves the right to through out any case that the Bench feels is unlawful and or prejudice towards a group or member

[ January 18, 2006, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Advent 115 ]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummmm, just out of curiosity, where does your authority come from? See, I'm planning a bloody coup of your "Congress" as soon as it's properly established, and I need to know where to lead my militia when the time comes. Then I can return the power to the people (also known as anarchy).
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
smitty, who would even join your army?

And why would you want to attack us if we are serving the Harack Community by giving them their own courts?

[ January 18, 2006, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Advent 115 ]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

No thanks, I have this thing against authority. Appreciate the offer though.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

How about being an Officer of the court? You get to arrest people.
smitty
Member # 8855

I don't need people to join. Plenty of militias to go around out in this part of the world. And they all like fighting "the man".

See, you guys are trying to TAKE power. Even a polite dictator is still a dictator. But my point remains, where does your power lie? What are you going to do, scold people?

Wait a minute.... you're secretly the UN, trying to impose your will on Hatrack, aren't you? [No No]

Edit: I think you are misunderstanding things - I don't WANT power. Power corrupts.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

If you would bother to read our laws then you would understand that we have only what power the Hatrack Community gives us.

If you have any further questions or arguements then pelase submit them at 17:00 when the entire court will resume discussions on such matters.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Those are all very good laws Adevnt, and will be followed securely. I myswlef have some new laws. We will wait for more bench members to approve.

1. Protection of Established Members of the Hatrack Community must be maintained at all times

2. This court shall have no right to declare war on any member of the Hatrack Community

3. This court shall make no law that restricts a Hatrackers right to free speech

4. Ample evidence must be brought before this court for us to rule a guilty verdict

5. At least two witnesses are needed for a case in order for it to be brought before this Court

6. An accused may have a representative if they feel that they are not up to defending themselves

7. A defendant may request the 5th so as to stay silent and legally keep from incriminating his or herself

8. This court reserves the right to through out any case that the Bench feels is unlawful and or prejudice towards a group or member

9. Should any member of the Hatrack Congress perform an unlawful, or unjust act, they will be tried by the other Bench Members.

10. Any case may be tried in the HatRack Supreme Court, so long as it has a firm base, and just reason.

11. Any court or political power such as a leader (Exluding OSC, admins, and people who have it legitimately ) or who claim to have power will be null and void untill approved by the HatRack Congress.

12. The HatRack Congress does not apply to Law number 11.

13. The HatRack Congress can preside over any Forums ecluding the Writers work shop, and those the Admins advise not to.

I will wait for the Congress memebers to apporve these. or not.

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I approve. Though I would like some advice as of what to do with the Anarchist.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

His threat is not serious, and should thus be taken as so. He will not be tried, as he holds no power.

Yes/No?

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

Saying that your power comes from the people seems a little off when you declared yourself a congress critter. And you're already trying to abuse your power by bribing your enemies. Plus I like taking the local militias on raids. Sometimes we come back with nice snacks that we can't get locally.

You guys are forgetting the only law that matters here is that of OSC and his proxy, Papa Janitor.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

I would also like to make a motion to instate Vassilia as another board member at this time.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

We are far below they.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

We simply follow what we believe they would do. Any cases that need to be tried?
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I second. We would only need 2 more Judges.

Members of the Congress and Supreme Court of HatRack Forums:

Reticulum
Advent 115
Dr. Strangelove
Tante Shvester

Advent 115
Member # 8914

None at this time, but I would like to motion for the court to disregard the Anarchists statments until such time as they are deemed helpful to the Board or the Hatrack Community at large.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I second that motion.

I have a new proposed law that would have a very large impact.

9. Should any member of the Hatrack Congress perform an unlawful, or unjust act, they will be tried by the other Bench Members.

10. Any case may be tried in the HatRack Supreme Court, so long as it has a firm base, and just reason.

11. Any court or political power such as a leader (Exluding OSC, admins, and people who have it legitimately ) or who claim to have power will be null and void untill approved by the HatRack Congress.

12. The HatRack Congress does not apply to Law number 11.

13. The HatRack Congress can preside over any Forums ecluding the Writers work shop, and those the Admins advise not to.

14. When all members of HatRack Congress are not Present, a law is able to be passed, but must still require majority, and two Judges at least. If there are only two, both must agree.

15. Any law passed during such time as the law in 14 may be challenged, by other members of Congress.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

And smitty I was not trying to bribe you I was trying to add your element to the board as a midway between our court and the people we serve.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Yes, untill such time as the board is full, any member may apply for a spot. Besides, do you believe we are really corrupt?
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I second this motion, but I would also like to include the Hatrack Communities feelings on any of these laws, so as to better serve them.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I believe that we should attempt to appoint someone as a majority speeker for the community so as to voice the publics opinions on both our new laws and our rulings in the courtroom.

Edit: Perhaps this speeker should be choosen by the community.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

That is a very good plan, Advent. This new law is good, and I believe it should begin immediately.

I think you should start that thread now, and we will let the people nominate and vote for the person. The Person with the most votes after 100 posts wins, regardless of ho many votes were cast. If it takes longer then two days to reach 100, whowever has the most votes after that time wins, regardless of how many.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

I think you should start the thread this time. After all I'm already on notice for the whole War Declared fiasco.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
What would happen if a fellow board member suddenly had a tragic accident?
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

But since you judges aren't actually elected, what makes you think anyone will obey your laws? And again, what type of penalties do you plan to impose? Even the wise and mighty PJ (may he live forever!) can only edit and delete threads. Or at least he has enough self-control to keep his punishment within these boundaries.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Excellent idea. If the idea is shot down by Papa Janitor, it will be destroyed immediately.

I will first create a thread asking him, and if he gives the go ahead I will.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

Then we would have to elect someone to be their proxy until such time as they recover or replace them with another.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

What think Advent?
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Agreed, that way we are not challenging the higher powers. And perhaps we should rename this thread: Hatrack Supreme Court. i have already done something similar to my own court.
smitty
Member # 8855

PJ can offer swift and (somewhat) severe punishment. You're offering, what, a scolding if the committee decides as such?
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
I think these laws are pretty good.

Laws

and I think PJ is doing a good job enforcing them.

_________

Is this a serious thread?

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Yes, smitty. We aim to help not Punish. Advent, I will create the post immediately, and as for the title, it will be The Hatrack Congress and Supreme Court.

Agreed?

I was replying to smitty, not camus.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

Please create the new thread so that the earlier matter may be settled in a timely matter.

And perhap we should begin to think of replacements for ourselves should any of us take ill. And maybe not replacements but temporary Proxy judges.

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I still want to know what would happen if one or two of my fellow members of congress had a horrible and painful accident?
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

Ahhh, positive reinforcement only. That should work well. I withdraw my threat of a bloody coup.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Perhaps we should leave the Congress title to the admins, seeing as how they are the higher power, and the fact that it would be unlawful of us to control both the courts and the congress.
smitty
Member # 8855

Then I would return home to Indiana with my new snacks.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

I vote we are the "Lower courts" since we don't have all that much power but still hold the strings to the purse. (The customer is always right)
Advent 115
Member # 8914

And remeber smitty that a form of government only has as much power as you allow it to have.

And perhaps you should run for the position of speeker.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

Wait, so are saying we disolve the Congress and Supreme Court?
smitty
Member # 8855

[Evil] Well, Advent, that's kind of what my coup was doing
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I agree with Vassila Cora, who is indeed a member of the Congress.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

We are not the lower courts that is what my Hatrack City Court is for we take over cases only if they are worth something. As our laws show, we need both evidence and at least two witnesses to the supossed crime.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

So nothing happens if Reticulum, Advent 115 or Dr. Strangelove had a aweful and disgusting death...

[Evil Laugh]

Reticulum
Member # 8776

I retract my statement and agree with Advent. Besides this, Papa and other Admins, still hold unwavering power over us.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.