FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The HatRack Congress and Supreme Court (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The HatRack Congress and Supreme Court
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
The lower courts I was refering to is what was used before America became a country and was still a part of England.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
And I was SO looking forward to visiting a new city, that might contain a location that specialized in the refinement of certain plants that are served in a frosty mug.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm saying that we limit our powers to only that of issuing laws that can be agreed with by the community and judging what cases are brought before us. The true powers such as vetoing unlawful threads remain in the powers of the admins.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
If I am to perrish, I nominate the Court to choe who replaces me. Here is a new law.

1. Protection of Established Members of the Hatrack Community must be maintained at all times

2. This court shall have no right to declare war on any member of the Hatrack Community

3. This court shall make no law that restricts a Hatrackers right to free speech

4. Ample evidence must be brought before this court for us to rule a guilty verdict

5. At least two witnesses are needed for a case in order for it to be brought before this Court

6. An accused may have a representative if they feel that they are not up to defending themselves

7. A defendant may request the 5th so as to stay silent and legally keep from incriminating his or herself

8. This court reserves the right to through out any case that the Bench feels is unlawful and or prejudice towards a group or member

9. Should any member of the Hatrack Congress perform an unlawful, or unjust act, they will be tried by the other Bench Members.

10. Any case may be tried in the HatRack Supreme Court, so long as it has a firm base, and just reason.

11. Any court or political power such as a leader (Exluding OSC, admins, and people who have it legitimately ) or who claim to have power will be null and void untill approved by the HatRack Congress.

12. The HatRack Congress does not apply to Law number 11.

13. The HatRack Congress can preside over any Forums ecluding the Writers work shop, and those the Admins advise not to.

14. When all members of HatRack Congress are not Present, a law is able to be passed, but must still require majority, and two Judges at least. If there are only two, both must agree.

15. Any law passed during such time as the law in 14 may be challenged, by other members of Congress.

16. If any member is incapacitated or otherwise unable to serve, it will be up to the Hatrack Cngress to decide who will replace them for the time being.

17. If a Hatrack Congress Member can no longer serve or quits, it will be up to the Congress to decide who will replace them, but they can may make a suggestion for this predicament, and this one only.

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I agree with that Advent.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
If so then I elect the following people to take my place should something happen to me:

-WntrMute

-Monroe by Warhol

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Agreed. Off topic, but I must say this is the fastest growing thread i have ever seen.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

True, we're alrady at five pages after a day and a half.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

If Papa Janitor does not respond within 24 hours, I will create the thread, and delete it immediately if he so wishes.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I second that motion.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote that if all members of the courts disappear, I become supreme high, utmost, superlative, excellent humdrum person.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I deny that motion, for I am the one who created it. If any, it will be Advent, for he is the one, who started the idea.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

If all of us are that injured then the courts will be closed until further notice. We should not leave any one person with that much power.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reticulum:
17. If a Hatrack Congress Member can no longer serve or quits, it will be up to the Congress to decide who will replace them, but they can may make a suggestion for this predicament, and this one only.

quote:
Originally posted by smitty:
Power corrupts.

I quit. I do not have the chutzpah to appoint myself to be the judge of others on this forum. I was only in it for the graft, anyway.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Thankyou, but I really think that our Proxies when choosen could do a fair job. So long as at least one of us is still functioning.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Come on Godess, we need your mighty wisdom and strength if others are to follow our rulings.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Agreed, you musn't quit, you are very vital. Also agreed as to Advent's comment on power. He is right.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Wait, I think that Papa Janitor just gave us the go ahead on the election of a speeker.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I must leave now, discussion will resume later, laws may be passed, just follow these rules.

1. Protection of Established Members of the Hatrack Community must be maintained at all times

2. This court shall have no right to declare war on any member of the Hatrack Community

3. This court shall make no law that restricts a Hatrackers right to free speech

4. Ample evidence must be brought before this court for us to rule a guilty verdict

5. At least two witnesses are needed for a case in order for it to be brought before this Court

6. An accused may have a representative if they feel that they are not up to defending themselves

7. A defendant may request the 5th so as to stay silent and legally keep from incriminating his or herself

8. This court reserves the right to through out any case that the Bench feels is unlawful and or prejudice towards a group or member

9. Should any member of the Hatrack Congress perform an unlawful, or unjust act, they will be tried by the other Bench Members.

10. Any case may be tried in the HatRack Supreme Court, so long as it has a firm base, and just reason.

11. Any court or political power such as a leader (Exluding OSC, admins, and people who have it legitimately ) or who claim to have power will be null and void untill approved by the HatRack Congress.

12. The HatRack Congress does not apply to Law number 11.

13. The HatRack Congress can preside over any Forums ecluding the Writers work shop, and those the Admins advise not to.

14. When all members of HatRack Congress are not Present, a law is able to be passed, but must still require majority, and two Judges at least. If there are only two, both must agree.

15. Any law passed during such time as the law in 14 may be challenged, by other members of Congress.

16. If any member is incapacitated or otherwise unable to serve, it will be up to the Hatrack Cngress to decide who will replace them for the time being.

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:
If all of us are that injured then the courts will be closed until further notice. We should not leave any one person with that much power.

You do understand that humdrum means normal right?

So I was saying that I become a normal person.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

ah, aha...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Agreed, you musn't quit, you are very vital.
He's right, Tante. Your membership adds the thin veneer of respectability the Vichy need in order to avoid complete and abject failure. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I am totally not interested in deciding who is right or wrong on Hatrack. Unless somebody steps on my personal little toes, I say nothing. And if my personal little toes are stepped on, then it is up to me to take it up with the stepper -- I wouldn't want some inflated panjandrum leaping into the fray brandishing his self-appointed self-importance and imposing a ruling guided by neither wisdom or right.

So, unless there is going to be considerable graft coming my way, I will not be a part of your project.

Have fun without me, guys!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Well, maybe not that bad....

But that doesn't mean we still don't want you, so will you come back? Please. [Cry]

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Thats why I was planning on getting rid of the other court members and becoming the supreme high, utmost, superlative, excellent humdrum person.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

We miss you already. [Cry] [Cry] [Cry]

Okay, we need a new female member quick.

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

So how big is my graft?
Advent 115
Member # 8914

If that means that you will come back, then its however much you want.
smitty
Member # 8855

This is exactly what I was afraid of. I'm getting the potato-gun mortars loaded up on the trucks.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

If that means that you will come back, then its however much you want.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

NOOOOOOOOOO! She is just joking, okay mr. Anarchist. She is just joking, so calm down. No need to start a coup.

Go and run for speeker already or something like that.

smitty
Member # 8855

I'm not really an anarchist. Except for on forums.

I'm still not quite sure what a speeker is.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by smitty:
I'm still not quite sure what a speeker is.

I think it must be somthing like a speaker.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

I feel that if I hold my postion any longer I will go mad with power and take over the forum, so I quit.

But smitty, I heard advent was planning on going mad with power and taking over the forum soon, so you still can have your coup.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

The Speaker (Sorry about the misspelling) is going to be an elected official who will bring before the Court all matters that the community views as important and will inform us of any dissagrements the community has. The election is taking place in a seperate thread as we speak. And the Speaker is majority elected by the community, not by the court (although we do reserve the right to vote as individuals).
smitty
Member # 8855

Yes, but what is the Court actually doing?

The potato guns mortars were for fun, not a coup.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

HEY!!!! I have made it my mission here to remove most of our powers and religate them to the Admins. I am not trying to take over!

If I was then do you think I would keep asking smitty to run for Speaker?

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Yes, that way you can overthrow him and take complete control until we revolt and hit you upside the head with tomatos.
smitty
Member # 8855

To trick me into taking a meaningless position, which is some for of revenge I'm assuming
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Our court will rule on whatever cases are brought to our attention. We are still trying to establish our laws so that we do not interfearing with anyones rights to free speach here at Hatrack.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we already have something that does that. And it's lot more unobtrusive.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Its not for revenge, I just figured that it would be best that the Speaker have the communities best interests at heart. And seeing as how you value the community so much, I thought you would be perfect.
smitty
Member # 8855

ummm, rule how?
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Yep, now I am sure he plans to overthrow you.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's funny that people think they're entitled to free speech on Hatrack.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

When this thread began last night, I assumed it was intended to be humorous, even if at least one issue was ill-advised. I'm no longer confident that at least a few people here aren't serious, and so I was hesitant even to post lest I give this idea any semblance of credibility or legitimacy.

Shoot -- I can't come up with a wording of my thoughts that isn't frankly insulting. Let's just say this: until the Cards determine that any (additional) individual or group needs to be officially recognized to ensure the continued well-being of this forum, we'll operate under the current system. Have your fun if you like, but don't kid yourselves that you act with any official authority or sanction.

[Aside -- sheesh, at least when similar concepts have been brought up in the past, there was at least a democratic process, even if nobody ever voted.]

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

I was being humorous, boss. I really don't have a big enough potato gun to be considered a mortar, let alone a lot of them. [Wink]
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Once again smitty, the Speaker will be the representative of the Hatrack Community and bring their comments to our attention. And from this persons input we will decide on how to best serve and judge the accused, and how well are laws are recieved.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

We are just going to respond to cases given to us, its not like you have given us any power to inforce our will upon others. And even if you had then we would not use it. But we mean no harm Papa, we just want to make sure that everyone is treated equally within the threads.
smitty
Member # 8855

I guess what I'm not clear on is what you intend to do to the accused.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.