FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The HatRack Congress and Supreme Court (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The HatRack Congress and Supreme Court
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess what I'm not clear on is what you intend to do to the accused.
probably this: [No No]
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea who the people are who have made 90% of the posts on this thread.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
What we do to the accused is entierly up to the voters, we have no more power than what anyone authorizes us to have. But at the least we would make the Guilty parties known for their crimes to all who look upon our judgements. But that will only last as long as the Admins allow it to.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always been joking in this thread.

[Laugh] People are silly.

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
At this point I'm not so sure that I am. I was kidding at first, but this is more fun than I thought it would be. Not to mention how many people might end up reading our rullings on certain cases.

I mean look at how far our Court has come in just one night, can you imagine our popularity in a week?

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The same as a dancing baby?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
The drunken baby was TONS more entertaining.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

katharina, we are the begining members of the Hatrack Supreme Court. If you would like to join us on the board then please wait til' 17:00 so that the rest of the board can vote you in.
katharina
Member # 827

This is your idea?
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mean look at how far our Court has come in just one night, can you imagine our popularity in a week?
I wouldn't exactly say it's been really popular considering that the number of unique posters probably equals the number of pages in this thread (well okay, maybe a few more).
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
So since I obviously don't have near as much free time on my hands as the other members of my esteemed Congress ... Court ... thingy ... I'll just be the one who only chimes in on really important stuff, like ... umm ... Ok, so nothing really important comes to mind.

(And if I may say so, for me, a relative newbie not only to this forum but to life in general, to assume that I have any power whatsoever over anyone would be unwise, and Judges are supposed to be wise, so as a wise and competent Judge or Congressman (take your pick), I hereby make it clear that my authority is nonexistant. My residing on this court stems not from any attempt at power grabbing, but rather from my sense of humor, desire to up my post count, and me thinking it kinda cool that this thread grew so incredibly fast and I'm a part of it.)

So, in conclusion, continue on as you were, I will go back to studying Chemistry homework, until such a time arises when a Judge is needed.

And to clarify, as far as I'm concerned, that time will be never.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I am a relative newbie myself, but I still wrote 8 out of 15 of the original laws. And have hopefully made the most progress towards making this thread as official and helpful as it can be.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

And to katharina, no I did not start this thread, but I have put my heart and soul into making it better than it was at the beginning.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:
I am a relative newbie myself....

You're relatively new? In relation to what would you not be new? You've been here less than a month.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I have started at least 15 different posts in that time and have made over 50 different threads, not to mention the progress I made in this thread.

I've seen much older members who have no where near my number of responses or topics started.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Making threads doesn't make you less of a newbie. In fact, the opposite is true.

The one reason I knew for a fact that you were a noob is your love of the "New Topic" button.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Why, ReticuIum, it is so sweet of you to ask. There is much lore to Hatrack.

For this specific topic, we have had ad hoc elections for Hatrack President before. It was quickly shot down, but oddly, the person who was leading in the well-frequented polls was Papa Moose, who had made a splash with his community building, wisdom, and humor. He declined the honor on the grounds that the posters were goofing off entirely and the whole process was kind of tacky, but years later, he became Janitor, perhaps on the basis on the same qualities that made him such a popular favorite.

katharina
Member # 827

*sad* Oh, the post is gone.
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I approve of the new people causing a ruckus. If only there were some sort of pseudo-organization to stop people from completely over-stepping their bounds. Perhaps it's time newbie’s (I really didn't want to use that word) settled down and learned their place. No one is persecuting you because you’re new, and your reacting as if you’re some sort of oppressed minority.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReticuIum
Member # 9054

- posted      Profile for ReticuIum           Edit/Delete Post 
(Oh, katharina, you noticed! And you should notice that I remembered to spell your name with all "a"s. I always do, you know.)

Here is the original post:

You know, I believe Noemon is correct. I've heard that he always is right, and now I know it's true.

I can't believe I even started this thread. Why, it is rather presumptuous, don't you think? Here I come in and find a whole established, firmly entrenched community, and I begin starting threads left and right.

I don't believe I actually even know much of the lore of Hatrack. In fact, I hear tell there are a lot of odd tricks and history that I and my friends are not even aware of.

Does anyone know anything about that?

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
And it's his right to comment on how that frequency is perceived by others.

No one has told you to stop.

Edit: This was to advent before he deleted his last post to JT.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking the same thing Reticulum. And katharina, thanks for that delightful anecdote. I certainly never knew that. Eh, sorry advent, no hard feelings, but I officially resign my post as Judge. It seems have caused a bit to much controversy for me to remain in such a position. Best of luck to you and your Congress ... Court ... thingy.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EI JT de Spang
Member # 9061

- posted      Profile for EI JT de Spang           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it occurs to me that I am pretty much a newbie, myself.

And I have a sudden uncharacteristic desire to adopt a wee bit 'o British accent.

'allo, chaps!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

All my efforts in here have been for naught....

Haven't they?

Why am I even still here?

All this hard work, and thought.... I feel like I want to cry. [Cry]

katharina
Member # 827

*hugs* Oh sweetie, it's okay. You can still be part of Hatrack without being the head of the lynch mob. Hatrackers seem to prefer governing themselves.

What is it that you like about Hatrack? Did something in particular draw you here? I can't remember why I joined, but I love the quote threads. [Smile]

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

*Bursts into song* I'll be your crying shoulder!

And I mean that in a really manly way.

Seriously though, this has been the fastest growing thread I've ever seen (and yes, oldtimers, I know, I haven't been around all that long, but allow us newbs to retain some dignity [Razz] )
If I had more time I would go into an in-depth explanation of why I personally am a fan of religious anarchy on Hatrack (with the mods and admins being gods). Maybe later.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

I just wanted to help....

I mean I was picked on some when I first arived on the Hatrack scene....

I just wanted to help... [Cry]

I'm so sorry everyone, what have I done? [Cry]

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Good God man, I do hope you're kidding.
ReticuIum
Member # 9054

You know, katharina, if I recall correctly, there once was a mean old guy running around here. What was his name, again? I heard tales of some long-haired, Jesus-like figure.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*hands a tissue* Welcome to Hatrack. Everyone does something dumb when they first get here. I kept trying to pick fights with Tom Davidson, who ignored me entirely. All is not lost. [Smile] Do you like reading about politics, then? Is that why you like OSC?

ReticuIum, I always suspected that mean reputation was just a cover. Of course, the startling resemblence might have been a cover as well.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

No I'm not even sure if I'm trying to be funny....

I just tried to help..... and all I've done is make things worse.....

Why do I always mess everything up?

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember saying anything to the contrary.

You're certainly free to do whatever you please here, as long as it conforms to the TOS. But even if it doesn't, I won't be the one to correct you on it, as I don't really have any say in the matter.

My only suggestion to you or any newbie would be to hang around long enough to figure out how things are normally done before deciding "to hell with the status quo, I make my own rules!"

Cause the thing is, there's a lot of things that aren't rules; more like mores. Just guidelines that most everyone tries to hold themselves to out of respect for the community. Some of them are little, like don't write in all caps, and some of them are bigger, like not bumping your own thread (that's not really a great example of something big cause I actually think that's a minor offense). None of these little things are enforceable, but all are along the lines of, say, holding open a door for someone. It's just a nice thing to do, and I think the overall courtesy most people here display is one of the things that make hatrack so special.

I'm well aware of the fact that I haven't be here all that long, in the grand scheme of things, so maybe someone else can say what I'm trying to say a little more clearly.

Edit: I got cloned?! Awesome. And the cloned me is dead right.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr StrangeIove
Member # 9055

- posted      Profile for Dr StrangeIove           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, maties, it be strikin' me that I ain't such a bad fella, me-self!
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I just like his books, I just wanted to be part of this community....

I didn't mean to mess everything up....

I always end up doing that anyways....

Why am I even bothering to stay here?

ReticuIum
Member # 9054

Why, Dr Strangelove, ye old bon-bon, are you talking in pirate talk?

Hunker down with me, laddie, and tell me if the pirate boys know any of the old tales of this ancient site.

katharina
Member # 827

Okay, enough crying Advent. Buck up, and be a part of it. You don't have to be in charge to do that.
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
El JT, how did you do that?
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Thats not me. Look at the member numbers. Its quite annoying for someone to impersonate me, especially as a pirate. Not that I have anything against pirates, but I would like to be a pirate when I choose to be a pirate. So whoever is doing that, please stop or go bug someone else.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
You haven't messed anything up. Just forget about the congres/court and you'll be fine. Right after we pelt you with these tomatos.
( I got hungry on my way over here so, no tomatos)

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You can be part of the community without being part of a government.

In fact, it's probably a lot easier.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Fine.... I'm done.

But would you two knock it off with the pirate talk already?

Its even more annoying on screen than hearing it aloud.

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

And yes, I know that was also the fake Reticulum. Seriously, I'm starting to feel like I'm in some badly written sci-fi book with clones and the works.
EI JT de Spang
Member # 9061

Yes, Advent. Come gather 'round the fire and we will share in the lore of the legendary Hatrack.

'tisn't the time for tears, chaps! Stiff uppah lip and all that. Right ho!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Umm, I didn't.

Although I have my suspicions about who did.

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Me too.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

No your not, Strangelove, if this were such a badly written book then someone would be talking like a pirate or an englishman....oh, no...
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
[Dont Know] So we can have clones in Hatrack?

Wow, that's simultaneously annoying and tempting....

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

That was supposed to be an englishman?
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I'm a badly written character in the worst book ever! And to make it worse there are very few women in this story!

We're all doomed!

EI JT de Spang
Member # 9061

But then again, I think that someone who had delved through the many onion-like layers of Hatrack to become fully embedded in its community, nay, even steeped in its lore, might be aware of a few tricks of the trade.

Friends, Hatrack has a heckuva history, and that's worth respecting. Now the real El JT has been kind enough about my using his pseudoalias, so the real me will be logging back out. (And no, I'm not Frisco. I just didn't want to be fooling on katharina, and I figured she'd catch the reference.)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.