FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is Age important to how you judge someone or can Advent ever be forgiven? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Is Age important to how you judge someone or can Advent ever be forgiven?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
To some extent, we all teach each other how to behave to us, ourselves. We are at least partly responsible for calling out the good or bad in other people.

When one acts out in rage or pettiness, or when one lies or abuses trust, then one is teaching others to treat oneself as an angry, petty, untrustworthy person who tells lies. That approach doesn't help with making friends at all, even though it may be staggeringly tempting in the middle of a highly emotional moment.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Advent 115,

If I believed you when you said, "I'm only coming back long enough..." I might feel some hesitation about posting to you. But since you appear to be living up to the predictibly pathetic standards of your thematic ancestor, Cedrios, I'm all but certain you're still reading-it's easy to tell, just from the way you talk. You don't even fake apologies very well, for the record.

quote:
...I only lied about my age by a few months.

ANd to prove it, I was born May 16th in the year 1986 at approximatly 3:06am. In the small town of Pryor, Oklahoma where my father now deceased 16yrs worked. I have since lived in Alalbama, Texas, Arizona, and now live in New Mexico.

As has been mentioned, if you take such great pride in your age, why lie about it? And why 'just a few months'? What possible goal could that serve? So, you're lying here. You're either lying about how much exactly you lied about your age, or lying about that in which case you're much younger than you say.

Seeing as how you apparently want very much people to believe you're older and habitually lie to get people to believe the things you want them to, it's reasonable to conclude you're lying about how much you're lying about your age.

Feel free to put at least a little thought into your deceptions, so they don't make you so laughable. In almost one breath, you say something so blaringly stupid and obvious it almost has to be a lie.

quote:
So don't ever question how old I am. I take great pride in my age and how I have lived through very rough times (bankrupcy, death of close family, an abusive stepfather who I caught cheating on my mother, and other hard events).
Why is your age possibly something of which to be proud? You've successfully avoided death for about fifteen years. Big deal. I imagine you probably got a birthday cake. That's the extent of any celebration you should get or expect about it.

There are basically two sets of people who take 'pride' in their age: the elderly, and the very young ----> teenagers. The elderly, because their age (sometimes) gives them the benefit of experience and wisdom and knowledge, and people are expected to respect their elders. Children and teenagers because they get less respect due to their age, and desperately crave more.

But in the words of Cedric the Entertainer, "It take respect to git respect." You don't get it just for living. You have to do something to get it, and that something does not include lying on Internet fora and then threatening people who call you on it.

quote:
So if you ever dare to question my age you pathetic little (BLANK!) then you can go to (BLANK!). I swear this on the blood of my father.
I dare to question your age, Advent 115. I questioned it in the past, and I question it right now. The only unfortunate part about your threats is that you're not here right now when making them. Because if you were, a contemptible little pissant like you wouldn't be making them. People like you and Cedrios only utter statements like that with the comfortable safety of the Internet between themselves and their targets.

Here's the thing, Advent 115. There are few things more pathetic on the Internet than someone threatening other people. There's lots of reasons for that, but it's mostly because it's just stupid. Whatever will come of your threats and curses? "Don't dare to question my age, or...or...I'll whine and rant some more!"

Scary.

Most of us here on the Internet are kinda wimpy geeks, to be honest. And so we're not in the least bit intimidated by your adolescent ranting, first and foremost because of the fact that you're not actually here to do anything about your threats. As for those of us who aren't wimpy, fielding threats from frothing teenagers isn't exactly knee-shaking territory. In fact, it's pretty laughable.

Oh, and by the way...threatening women, threatening mothers is so manly, Advent 115. I'm sure the blood of your father is just flowing with pride. If your father is dead, he would take much more shame from your words than from anyone questioning your age.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The trouble with pulling stunts like this on hatrack is that, unlike in your real life*, you're not the smartest person in the room here. Not by a long shot.

But if it makes you feel better, I didn't lose any respect for you. Cause I didn't have any respect for you before. And you didn't violate my trust, because I never trusted you for a second (which is why I answered flippantly on pg. 1 -- I was hoping to antagonize you or derail the thread).

*There's an excellent chance I'm giving you too much credit. But I know a big reason someone might try a stunt like this is because they're used to pulling the wool over the eyes of people on a daily basis. That doesn't necessarily take intelligence, but it does take a certain amount of cleverness.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
And I'd say a portion of wit. About 1/2.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been able to keep those straight.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember two things:

1) On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog (or not a dog).

2) No one forced anyone here to post against their will.

Now, if there is some academic guideline or ethical agreement that was violated, then you have that. But more than that?

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now, if there is some academic guideline or ethical agreement that was violated
Yes, there is. Every academic institution in the US has a document called Guidelines for Human Subjects (or similar title) which governs research (including student-run research) undertaken at that institution.

If what Advent's original lie had turned out to be the truth, I can pretty much guarantee that it'd be considered a blatant violation.

quote:
then you have that.
Well, no, apparently we don't...cuz he was lying.

[quote]But more than that?[quote]
As I said in my response earlier, a certain proportion of people are just not going to consider this a big deal, or will even laugh at the funny little prank.

Ultimately, though, there's a level of participation in this online community that is simply barred to people who are known posers...or shall we say liars? Besides ticking people off, Advent has shown himself to be willing to lie to build himself up, and that is MORE than the other stuff. It means that we have in Advent a person who cannot be trusted on many, many levels.

Not that a lot of people trusted him because of his off-putting behavior here in general. But he has earned a level of distrust that puts him well outside the contributing members of this community.

beverly (and others) have suggested ways that, if he was truly sorry for his behavior, he could earn some measure of trust.

He chose to ignore her advice and threaten her instead. Just 'cuz he put "BLANK" where the threat was deleted, does it make NOT a threat.

So...yeah, there's more.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean to belittle Advent's possible violation of an important academic guideline. That's really not my area of knowledge, but I do understand that what Advent did might have crossed a line that is important to an important community.

And, agreed: his constant back and forth about what was true and what was not..he's pretty much got himself written off.

But for those of us who posted: well, we knew we weren't answering a private questionnaire.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
If I may work in Ender's Game.

What about in Peter and Valentine's situation? Everyone thought they were much much older then they really were.

Besides, if a 14 year old came up to you and asked about sex, you would probably tell his parents to tell him. If a 20 year old came and asked you, you could have a disscusion. Just pointing that out.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Besides, if a 14 year old came up to you and asked about sex, you would probably tell his parents to tell him.
I wouldn't.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
quote:
Besides, if a 14 year old came up to you and asked about sex, you would probably tell his parents to tell him.
I wouldn't.
The majority probably would though
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
So dishonesty is justified when honesty seems unlikely to achieve the desired results?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Dishonesty is justified when used with dishonerable people.

No offense to anyone, but there is a great difference in respect between 20 year olds and 14 year olds.

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude. I'd much rather a 14 year old learn about sex at Hatrack than some of the places from which he *could* learn about sex. This is already a family-friendly forum, discussions on sex here are mature without being *too* mature, if'n you take my meaning. [Wink]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is already a family-friendly forum, discussions on sex here are mature without being *too* mature, if'n you take my meaning.
As I once said in a review, it's funny how often what is termed "mature" could as easily be described "juvenile". Though that might be unfair to juveniles.

If you're going to confess, confess once. Otherwise, you put your very ability to lay out the truth in question. Pretty simple.

As far as how what I posted might be used, I can't say I'm that concerned. I meant what I said, and would say as much to just about anyone who asked, if I thought they really wanted to know. The benefit of honesty is not having to backtrack.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What about in Peter and Valentine's situation? Everyone thought they were much much older then they really were.
They thought they were much older than they really were because they acted much older than they really were. I think that similar things happend with Lalo and MrSquicky (correct me if I'm wrong). None of them lied about their age.

It's a moot point, but I actually do believe that Advent is the 19 that he says he is. Comments that he made about his ex-girlfriend seemed genuine to me and place him at that age. However like so many others have said, there's no way to tell since we all know he regularly lies.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Can some one send me a link to where Advent posted his age?
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
how old was :Locke when he first joined? 13? I don't remember people dismissing him for being young.

We've had plenty of teenagers who were very mature. There is no use trying to hide your rela age, whether you're younger than you seem, or older.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how the people who do lie about their age to get respect are usually the ones who can't fake maturity well enough to pull it off.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

ain't that the truth.

I doubt very many people are upset about having posted in this thread. If it turned into a decent conversation for 4 or so pages, what's the big deal? And really, anyone who posts stuff that's TOO personal on a web board needs to learn a lesson FAST. Better they learn THAT at Hatrack than some of the other places out there.

But still! Assume everything you post on the internet is being read by a lot more people than you ever imagined. Some of whom might want to hurt you.

I mean, seriously, if people think picking a funny screen name is a good shield against someone ferreting out their true identity...they'd better be REALLY careful about their internet "presence" using that sn.

It's one of the reasons I just use my own name. It reminds me that I'm posting as me, whether I think I am or not. A determined person can pretty much always find someone else in this day and age.

So, if that's a concern, this thread is probably the least of a person's worries.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
The majority probably would though
Why do you assume that you speak for the majority?
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
So, unrelated to the hub-bub, I have to say that ak's description of the "layers" of sexual perspective had to be one of the most chaste descriptions of sex I've ever read [Smile]

Me, I like to think of it in terms of quantum foam, the smearing of Uncertain energy states across spacetime, and a whole lot of supersymmetry (hopefully).
--

I'd also just like to say, "Oh, SNAP! bev, Advent just called you a BLANK-ety BLANK! Dang!"

[Wink]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
JT, it seems like likely that the majority of regular poster here (before the recent influx of young 'uns) would not be likely to discuss sex with a person they knew was fourteen. For a number of reasons.

So, without speaking for the majority, one can guess what would happen. I think it was more of a "this seems likely" thing than a "I speak for everyone here" thing.

I remember my personal shock when I realised how young Hobbes was. O_O It happened more than once, because it just wouldn't STICK in my brain. It was almost a DOES NOT COMPUTE sort of thing. I subconsciously rejected the idea that he could be younger than 25, at the outside.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I wouldn't give a 14 year old tips on sex, but I'd certainly give any information about it to anyone who asked. I don't think there's any age past about ten where kids can't know the truth about sex, at least in the 'nuts and bolts' sense. It takes information to make an informed decision, but people don't want to give it to kids because it makes them uncomfortable.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody who needs to lie about their age to get respect doesn't deserve that respect.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Boothby,

quote:
Now, if there is some academic guideline or ethical agreement that was violated, then you have that. But more than that?
How about lying and being a prick in general? Even though no one was forced to post, that's still a problem in my book.

----

Jeesh,

quote:
If I may work in Ender's Game.

Besides, if a 14 year old came up to you and asked about sex, you would probably tell his parents to tell him. If a 20 year old came and asked you, you could have a disscusion. Just pointing that out

Ender's Game is a novel, you know. You might also recall that the ploy was Peter's idea, and Peter was a lying, ruthless, manipulitive scumbag. So I'm not sure why you're bringing it up, really. To point out that Advent 115 was behaving like a lying, manipulative scumbag? I can agree with that.

As for his parents, it's not as though they can be told. What are we going to do, warn him and send him an email telling him to put his parents on the computer?

You don't speak for what most people would or wouldn't do.

quote:
Dishonesty is justified when used with dishonerable people.

No offense to anyone, but there is a great difference in respect between 20 year olds and 14 year olds.

No offense? Whyever would anyone be offended, I wonder? It's not as though you called pretty much everyone who posted in this thread dishonorable...wait, actually, that's what you did. Funny, I didn't notice that for a second.

As for differences in respect between 14- and 20-year-olds, the solution Advent 115 should have gone with was to sew his balls on and deal with the horribly awful inconvenience of (some) people having diminished respect for him because he's about 14, not 20. Not lie about it. There are many 14 year olds I respect quite a bit more than 20 year olds I know, so frankly your little theory broke up on the rocks.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

I didn't call everyone dishonerable, I know some people would have given straight answers. But still, some people would have simply ignored him or told him to go ask his parents. I'm calling those people dishonerable, espesically now if they say they would have answered.

Besides, I was saying no offense to the people who would give equal respect to 14 and 20 year olds.

I do agree with the people that say Advent shouldn't have lied in the first place about the purpose of this thread. If he wanted to know then he should have just asked and he wouldn't have had to swear and curse others. Can someone also please send me a link to where he lied about his age? I never saw him say "I'm 20"

Think about this Rakeesh, what if someone told you that you're arguing with a 12 year old?

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Here ya go.

Added: Here's the exact line --

quote:
My life is pretty routine other than my on off dating schedule, but I suppose that that is to expected for someone my age. Which by the way and for the last time is twenty years old, so enough with the Advent is still in middle school jokes please.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Jeesh:
But still, some people would have simply ignored him or told him to go ask his parents. I'm calling those people dishonerable . . .

Refusing to answer an unrelated fourteen-year-old's questions about sex makes one dishonorable? [Confused]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Thank you ElJay.

How would you feel if people refused to talk to you because you're 14? What if they say "Come back in 6 years, maybe we'll talk to you then"

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Making somebody feel bad doesn't make you dishonorable.
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Think about this Rakeesh, what if someone told you that you're arguing with a 12 year old?

This question makes me think that you are not getting the point. I don't think it would matter to him at all. The problem Advent is facing is not due to his age, but to his perceived difficulty with the truth.

Turning it around, if you repeatedly implied or stated that you were twelve, and the gave us reason to believe otherwise--like sharing your memories of when Reagan was shot--I can promise you that we would have a whole lot more disgust for you than Advent ever got.

Jeesh
Member # 9163

If it's because they happened to be born 6 years later is.

quote:
My life is pretty routine other than my on off dating schedule, but I suppose that that is to expected for someone my age. Which by the way and for the last time is twenty years old, so enough with the Advent is still in middle school jokes please.

Are you saying it's OK for people to pick on middle schoolers, but not on 20 year olds?

Jeesh
Member # 9163

Go ahead and look around Icarus, I have never stated my age.

I do agree that Advent shouldn't have lied about this whole thing being for an class.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I don't see anybody saying anything of the sort.
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Aparently Advent did.
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:

. . .

Are you saying it's OK for people to pick on middle schoolers, but not on 20 year olds?

Nobody has said this. In fact, we don't know conclusively that Advent is a middle-schooler. The only comments have been on his behavior. And I think it is perfectly appropriate to comment on, and even discriminate against, inappropriate behavior.

EDIT to clarify what I was responding to, since the thread is moving so quickly.

EDIT 2: Actually, I guess we do know conclusively that he's a teenager.

Jeesh
Member # 9163

So, because of his behavior, you call him 14? There have been posts from people saying they know mature 14 year olds, and immature 20 years olds.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Actually, I guess we do know conclusively that he's a teenager.
How?
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
The only under-18s I've seen given the "Come back in 6 years" treatment are the ones with ridiculously immature and obnoxious posting patterns - which decidedly includes certain posters of widely ranging chronological ages. I'll try to avoid mentioning names. [Smile] I can think of a number of posters who are obviously young and somewhat immature but are treated with care and respect by most non-obnoxious posters, because they are just as obviously earnest and well-meaning. Far from being a handicap, age can be a big advantage if a mature young poster's age is eventually discovered - they get a long-lasting reputation as a prodigy. Being young only gets your opinion discounted if you post like an immature pre-teen. And, frankly, your opinion gets discounted in that case no matter what your age.

I should point that I mean "discovered" as in "Good monkey, you never mentioned your age so I didn't realize you were 14!" and not "But you said last week you were 20."

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

From his 'confession' on the last page? If you want to call that conclusive, I guess.
Icarus
Member # 3162

And the criticisms have not been for (allegedly) being fourteen, since, as you say, we have known some extremely mature fourteen-year-olds. Rather, the criticisms have been for immature behavior--behavior that would not be as surpriseing from a fourteen-year-old, but that is extremely so from a twenty-year-old. (Not that immature twenty-year-olds are uncommon, but this particular kind of pathetic lying about age (which he did acknowledge) and cursing people with blankety blanks.)

Wait, maybe I get it: Are you offended on behalf of mature fourteen-year-olds (and twelve-year-olds) that we would besmirch thei reputation by calling an immature person a fourteen year old? Ah. In that case, I concede the point.

But then, that was not the statement of yours that I questioned, so you are really not having that argument with me. (And therefore, raising it is not, ultimately, relevant, except as just a general rant. [Which you are perfectly free to engage in. Just don't think it answers my comment.])

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
EDIT 2: Actually, I guess we do know conclusively that he's a teenager.
Do we? I must have missed that. How old of a teenager does he claim to be?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I can't parse this. Translation, please? [Smile]
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Actually, I guess we do know conclusively that he's a teenager.
How?
I changed my wording from "teenager" to "middle-schooler," because he admitted, on the previous page, that he was just barely shy of the twenty years he had repeatedly claimed.

And yeah, if you want to split hairs, I guess we still don't conclusively know his age. But my point was that being a "teenager" was (no longer) in dispute, but that being a "middle schooler" now was.

If it makes you feel better, Porter, I was thinking of you when I edited. [Wink]

Jeesh
Member # 9163

Icarus,

One of the reasons I'm still arguing is because I hate it when people assume you're immature and not smart, mearly because you're a teenager.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Okay. Fair enough. I don't think I have done this, but if in my verbal sloppiness I have, then I apologize.
Jeesh
Member # 9163

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyNotSoBravo:
quote:

I can't parse this. Translation, please? [Smile]
Is dishonorable.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I fail to see how that's dishonorable.

And dishonorable has two O's.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Nineteen, I believe. Technically a teenager. But then, I stopped considering myself a teenager when I became an adult at eighteen. Guess it's a matter of semantics.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.