FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is Age important to how you judge someone or can Advent ever be forgiven? (Page 8)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Is Age important to how you judge someone or can Advent ever be forgiven?
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wishing I'd lied about my age and told everyone I was a child prodigy of 4 years old.
Sorry, Tante, Squoose already has you beat. He started posting coherent sentences at one day old. I think Superstation was posting that early as well. Nope, to impress us now, you're going to have to claim that you're still in the womb, which these days comes equipped with a computer and wireless access.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
That's me right there. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
(So cut me some slack when I get cranky. It's cramped in here, 'kay?)
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nope, to impress us now, you're going to have to claim that you're still in the womb, which these days comes equipped with a computer and wireless access.
Good thing it's wireless. [Eek!]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Er...umbilical cord. He's got cable!

(okay, that's the 2nd time I've gotten to use that in a month. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to be of service. It's rare I get to play the straight man. [Wink]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
*snort*
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Bob
[Laugh] Karl
[ROFL]

You guys!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that was funny!
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
No Fair! It still really hurts when I laugh.

*holds it in *

Bwahahahaha-ow-ow-hahahaha!

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
They say that the person you truly are is shown by how you act when nobody can see you.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's rare I get to play the straight man
Anyone else who parsed this as "it's rare I get to play with a straight man"? Because, uh, that was funny too.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
No. I don't lie like this in the real world. But I am not trying to excuse the fact I have done it here.

I get very nervous here sometimes, but I think it may be because I have no faces to attach to each of your responces, I have no basis on which to judge your reactions accuratly.

I spend a great deal of my conversations with any one in the real world judging how they feel on any given situation by their body posture, their eye movement, what they are doing with their hands, and the tone of their voice.

I'm not sure I can ever grasp the concept that so many of you seem to use naturally here on how you instantly judge a persons words as th truth. As far as I have seen (or at least observed) in my life, no one ever tells the whole or even partial truth through their words alone. And that makes me nervous when I'm on Hatrack. When I can't judge someone by anything more than their words it feels like I am being left deaf and blind to all but your words. And that is very uncomforterable to me.

I am sorry, I know I can never make it up to anyone here for what I have done, there will never be a true excuss for my actions. I promise that I will try to never lie to anyone here again, but that would mean nothing seeing as how my words are so hollow after my crimes. So all I can say is i am sorry. [Frown]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Maybe you should go to one of the gatherings, if it makes you uncomfortable when all you know of us is the words you see on the screen. I know that the way I look at people here has been colored by my interactions with them in the real world.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
That is what I mean. I have always judged people by their actions, not their words. And yet each and everyone of you does it so easily.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I get very nervous here sometimes, but I think it may be because I have no faces to attach to each of your responces, I have no basis on which to judge your reactions accuratly.
Because all we have are words without tone of voice, body language, etc., it is actually more important that we behave well here.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread got really interesting really fast and I missed all of it! Ah well, Advent making an ass of himself and getting called on it is quite amusing to read.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Why? When I come here, it is to escape the real world. I have no dillusions that my being here or talking to someone will ever lead to the things i find important in the real world. I will never find love or everlasting, true bonding friendships here. This place will always seem forign to me.

Yet... I still suffer, I still hate myself everytime I return. Because I know that, that nomatter what I do I shall never be forgivin. I hate myself more every time I cannot stay away from this place because even if nothing truely important to my real life will ever come of this place, I still betrayed. And that is something I take to heart. I will never be one of you, not even if some of you ever forgave me for my crimes. I will always be the outsider looking in saying a few words.... and then walking away with an even heavier heart because I know that I have caused yet another place where I cannot be allowed to exist. That I have caused even more rifts that echo my bloodline, that no matter what I do I am a betrayer, a coward, and a bastard.

I will never be one of you, and I know it.

Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you want to be one of us? Being one of you is good enough. The trouble arises when you try to be one of something you are not.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I will never find love or everlasting, true bonding friendships here. This place will always seem forign to me.
You have no idea how many people *have* found these things here. [Smile]

As I said before, Hatrack isn't like the rest of the internet.

quote:
Because I know that, that nomatter what I do I shall never be forgivin.
You can be forgiven. While what you did will always be remembered, as time passes and you are more known for the good things you have said and done here, it will become nothing more than an inside joke. "Hey, remember back when you did that thing that one time? Yeah, that was pretty wild." Do not underestimate the power of forgiveness, especially here.

quote:
I will never be one of you,
Being "one of us" really isn't all that hard. Just stick around and try your best. You'd be surprised just how easy it is.

quote:
Don't sell yourself short. [Smile] BTW, thanks for coming back and trying to make things right. That means a lot to us.

Edit: Don't mind Primal Curve too much. He doesn't pull his punches for anyone.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:

You could be if you learned how to be part of a community.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Now you mock me with attempts to lul me back into the hope that I can be amongst you? Why do my own emotions work against me?

I have no hope of return, and yet there are those who would offer their hands to me? Why is it that this seems like nothing more than pity for the weak? And I feel like the weakest of this offer.

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, stop being so melodramatic.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

When I bother to speak like this, that is when I am revealing my most private self. That is how I attempt to communicate what is in my heart of hearts. So please, do not mock me for my choice of words.

And community? From how I see it, a community can turn into a place where you become nothing but pawns for others. And not even by people wh may care for you. As Valentine said "You can only hope that those who use you are people who care about you". And I don't see much of that in the world.

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why is it that this seems like nothing more than pity for the weak?
*sigh* Advent, what do you want from us?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
People don't care as much about your choice of words as the fact that you won't stop saying them.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Incidentally, I think Amanecer may have gotten the wrong idea about my age. There was a thread where I made a joke a while back about being a white, 18 year old Mormon (there was a troll saying that most people on the board were this and someone put up a poll and well, it struck me as funny in the situation - I did acknowledge that it was a joke later on in the thread). I've never actually given my real age, but I can say that two of those statements are false, one by around 10 years.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

So your age is really Mormon +- 10 years?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
MrSquicky, I think it's slightly confusing because MrFunny is less than 18.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

No, I'm just expecting for genetic research to have gone far enough in 10 years that I'll be able to switch races, thus fulfilling my life long dream of becoming Mr. Charlie.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I bother to speak like this, that is when I am revealing my most private self.
Liar.
No one's private self speaks like Vardolax, Dread Lord of the Ur-Spleen. When you speak like that, you're putting on your whiny face.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

He just turned 17. Darn, I didn't think to make a birthday thread for him. If you're reading this, sorry, Mr. Funny. I hope the phone call was good enough.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I think I'll leave this thread now, so that I don't embarise or expose myself any farther than I already have.

*walks away*

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Advent = Huge Attention Whore

/not helping

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Advent, the drama really isn't helping. In light of recent events, it comes off as more attention seeking. Apologize, sincerely, and move on.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
This just seems like the perfect place to adopt "All the world's a stage" to "All the forum's a stage". It even has lines about whining schoolboys. It's like Shakespeare saw this moment coming...
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

"I am sorry, I am sorry for my desceptionsand my lies that made you believe I was someone I am not. I am sorry that I abused the trust of Hatrack. I am sorry."
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Pinky swear?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Primal Curve -- knock it off.
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Hatrack is very forgiving - at least it has been for the few years I've lurked. Even if PC isn't. [Razz]
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Advent. Now just go on with a resolve to do and be better. You have friends here.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

So, Advent, could you list your alts then?
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Yes, I pinky swear with sprikles on top. Is that enough for you Primal?
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Look at the name. Primal. You probably need blood sacrifices, long incantations, and chocolate bunnies.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Helion A.I.

Prometheus (never did recieve the log in info on this one thoguh)

And because I just remembered, I never have choosen my major in college. But am thinking of changing it to humanities (liberal arts).

Oh, and I am still taking the bartending class. (wish it would go faster though. And I won't be able to get a licence for it for another year *sigh* I need that money)

EDIT: Humanities or Social/Behavioural Science [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You can get a bartending license when you're not of legal drinking age?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

No. But I can take the bartending class at the local Community College.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
You can serve alcohol from age 18 upwards, Tom
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
In Minnesota you can serve alcoholic beverages when you're over 18.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.