FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do guys "hit on" you? A poll of sorts (Title now changed for clarity!) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Do guys "hit on" you? A poll of sorts (Title now changed for clarity!)
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, this started from a Sakeriver conversation, but I am bringing the question here because Hatrack is a more heavily populated forum (I think).

I brought up the fact that as I've been on the fora, I have heard a lot of our Jatraqueras talk about how often guys "pick up" on them, and I began thinking, "Huh. Guys don't 'pick up' on me. Never have. I don't think I am unattractive. What gives?"

It was suggested that hair color might be a major factor. I have *very* dark hair, and several girls mentioned that the more blonde they look, the more guys pick up on them.

I am kinda disturbed that hair color alone could effect so dramatically how guys perceive a girl, that I want to test this theory. So for purely scientific purposes (heh) I would like y'all to humor me. I want to find out how hair color effects this on average when all other criteria are removed.

I apologize if this poll is offensive (like asking a woman her weight or age). Feel free to answer anonymously if you like.

I am looking for female responses here, and answers to 2 questions.

1) Are you blonde, brunette, or other? (If "other," please explain)

2) Do guys "pick up" on you?

For me:

Brunette

No

[ March 07, 2006, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm male, so I don't qualify, but you might want to get an estimation of how often it occurs. Say, X number of times a week/month?
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I figured I would keep it simple. I don't get picked up on "at all". So, any number of times would be a "yes". [Smile]

But at the same time, feel free to elaborate. It is a good suggestion. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
My ex-wife has black hair, and it's never been uncommon for guys to try to "pick her up".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

She gets to be part of the poll. [Cool]
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Brunette

Occasionally

A couple of weeks ago 3 seperate young men in their 20s all started talking to me in the grocery store. I'm quite a bit older than that and I'm heavier than I would like but I must have been giving off a glow or something. (or maybe they just wanted to talk to me? I don't know. I'm really really bad at figuring such things out.)

It doesn't happen very often, however...

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a "light" brunette, and I guess I get hit on now and then. I'm usually oblivious to it, and my daughters have to clue me in.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Blonde.
Not ones that have seen me in person. The only "pick-ups" I've had in the last 15 years have been over the web.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Brunette.

Sometimes. More often when I'm blonde.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Brunette

No, though when I was younger, yes. Age, I think, has a factor, but part of it too is the near total lack of opportunity. I work from home. When I'm out, I'm almost always with my family. It takes a brave sort of man to flirt with a woman toting a 13 year old and a 3 year old with her. [Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Brunette with silver, uh, highlights.

And yes, sometimes. But I really do think it is a result of where I spend my time. And the condition of some of the men in those places. Remember sometime an attempt at pick up is a slurred, "well you're really not bad looking".

ps to Goody. At the other place I pm'd you my phone number in case this weekend works for you re: lunch.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Brunette with silver, uh, highlights.
Nice one. [Smile]

At the risk of starting a male counterpart to this poll, I'm more likely to try and pick up on a brunette.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Cool, Juxta. [Cool]

I have no problem with some men prefering blondes. As long as a comparative number prefer brunettes or redheads. [Wink]

Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't 'pick up' at all, though if I did, long and dark (or red) is better. [Smile]
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never, ever tried to "pick up" somone that I didn't already know.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Beverly, in my experience as a guy I have noticed that a lot of women totally miss if a guy is trying to pick them up. Granted, I don't know you, but I would bet a lot of money that guys have tried to pick you up and you missed it for any number of reasons. Sometimes guys are totally lame about how they try to do the pick up, or the girl thinks they are just being nice. I'm sure it happens much more than you think it does. It's one of those "I see it happening to others but not me" things. Other women are probably looking at you and think the exact same thing.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
I'm sure it happens much more than you think it does.
I will admit that this is certainly possible. And this is horrible of me to say, but it is the crass and obvious attempts that I never get. Not that I want to be treated like a sex object, but I still wonder why others are while I am not. [Wink] Delicate situation there.

Kate has a good point about the locations, but most of the anecdotal "pick ups" I hear about are not at such places.

And I am taking my youth into full account here, not just "me now". (I am 31, but I look better at 31 than I did at 25. Though to be fair, I looked better at 15 than I do now.)

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
quote:
I'm sure it happens much more than you think it does.
I will admit that this is certainly possible. And this is horrible of me to say, but it is the crass and obvious attempts that I never get. Not that I want to be treated like a sex object, but I still wonder why others are while I am not. [Wink] Delicate situation there.

I feel exactly the same way. The one time I've ever been treated like a sex object (I overheard some guys talking about me and a friend at the mall) it made me feel dirty and used. But I still wonder if the reason it doesn't happen is because I'm not pretty enough.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Blacwolve, I *totally* understand. [Smile] It may seem like a contradiction to others, but it makes perfect sense to me.
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
light brown

As I started writing this I said that I was flirted with a lot more when I was blonde (my hair has gotten progessively darker with each child I've had) but my life has changed a lot since I was blonde.

I am a SAHM who is married. I get out to go to the grocery store, my kids activities, to do things with my family or to church and that's about it. Rarely do I go out on my own or just with a group of girls where a flirt might be more common place.

So I think that this is a much more invovled than just hair color, but interesting nonetheless.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I will admit that this is certainly possible. And this is horrible of me to say, but it is the crass and obvious attempts that I never get. Not that I want to be treated like a sex object, but I still wonder why others are while I am not. Delicate situation there.

That could be because you don't present yourself as a 'crass and obvious' kind of woman? We men are plenty stupid about a lot of things, but we are not completely stupid about everything. [Smile] We, for the most part, attempt to 'cater' to our audience. So if a woman is dressed or presents herself as 'crass and obvious' we assume, for right or wrong, that we can be 'crass and obvious'.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Brunette

No

I think a large part of it is that I put out a large Not Available, Not Interested, Very Married vibe. But only part. Because I've never been hit on. That I noticed, anyway.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by DarkKnight:
Beverly, in my experience as a guy I have noticed that a lot of women totally miss if a guy is trying to pick them up. Granted, I don't know you, but I would bet a lot of money that guys have tried to pick you up and you missed it for any number of reasons. Sometimes guys are totally lame about how they try to do the pick up, or the girl thinks they are just being nice. I'm sure it happens much more than you think it does. It's one of those "I see it happening to others but not me" things. Other women are probably looking at you and think the exact same thing.

This is very true. I only recently found that, in an Irish pub, "so how are you fixed?" which I always took to mean, "do you have a place to stay or a way home or enough to drink?", was actually a proposition. I believe I've missed opportunities with my self-sufficient, "I'm fine, thanks."

As for anecdotes, beverly, have I never shared my collection of really bad pick up stories?

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I get whistled at or comments shouted at me when I wear my hair down. But not when I wear it up.

It's blond or redish or light brown, depending on the light.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a redhead.

Yeeeah, I get hit on.

More than I used to...it used to be rare for anyone to offer to buy me a drink when I was out. Now, I sometimes only pay for three in an entire (10pm-4am) night.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not that I want to be treated like a sex object, but I still wonder why others are while I am not. Delicate situation there.
Tricky business. The problem is that if guys are treating women like sex objects, you should be in that number. As long as some guys are hitting on some women, then they should be hitting on you too.

I'm cutting to the quick a bit, but where does wanting to talk to a girl because she is pretty slip into objectifying women. In that first conversation, I don't know anything about the quality of her character or the content of her mind. When I was dating, mostly, I thought, "Aw, there is a nice smile, let me chat her up."

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I have light brown/dark blonde hair with lighter highlights. I've also had red hair in the past.

I get attention in bursts. Either its coming in from multiple random guys or not at all. I'm not into the casual dating scene so I don't care too much whether guys are paying attention to me.

I know my boyfriend first approached me because he thought I looked cute in my skirt (a long peasant skirt, not even a mini.)

I've also been told that I'm intimidating. Guys have told me that they look for the right moment to talk to me. I've never noticed but I guess I give off back-off messages when I'm in certain moods. I'm a loner so I don't doubt it.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
That could be because you don't present yourself as a 'crass and obvious' kind of woman?
You know, strangely enough, I have thought of this as well. I probably exude vibes that say "I am not a sex object." But at the same time, I wouldn't mind objective feedback on exactly what that means.

quote:

As for anecdotes, beverly, have I never shared my collection of really bad pick up stories?

Not that I've seen. I love a good story, if you'd like to share. [Smile]
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
I get whistled at or comments shouted at me when I wear my hair down.
Interesting. This reminds me of ElJay's hair length comment.

I usually wear my hair down--I prefer to. But when it is hot, I have to wear it up for the extra air conditioning. [Smile]

beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
The problem is that if guys are treating women like sex objects, you should be in that number. As long as some guys are hitting on some women, then they should be hitting on you too.
You totally get it. [Smile]
beverly
Member # 6246

Shanna, I remember one of my past boyfriends telling me that back when he asked me out for the first time he was trying to decide between me and my roommate.

I figured he found us attractive for similar reasons, so I was intrigued by the comment. She was a redhead (very red) with a "haughty princess" look to her. If I were a guy, I would find her intimidating. Maybe guys find me intimidating.

Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Blonde.

Yes

I do get "picked up" on a somewhat regular basis, but I live in a city so I encounter a lot more people on a daily basis, and I'm young and still go out quite often.

On the other hand, I know a LOT of guys who prefer brunettes. Because so much of blonde hair is fake, they are smart enough to realize that blonde bombshell= $50+ a week of going to the hairdresser. Also, dark hair is more mysterious and elegant! If I weren't so pale, I'd totally dye my hair dark brown [Razz]

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Well, there was the "you're not bad looking" guy -who then promptly fell asleep with his head on the bar.

There was the guy staying at the expensive hotel who, after I declined, kept coming back every so often to say, "but I have a suite!" Like this will make a difference?

But my favorite was the otherwise charming Irish guy, "Now, come on Katie, you're not getting any younger."

pH
Member # 1350

I think the "vibe" is definitely important. I'm a friendly person...I'm a "people person." So whether I'm actually OUT and looking to be social or just going to the store, I think I generally come off as approachable. I like to strike up random coversations.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Kate, those made me chuckle. [Smile]
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Me, too. Good to have a sense of humour!
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Kristen:
Blonde.

Yes

I do get "picked up" on a somewhat regular basis, but I live in a city so I encounter a lot more people on a daily basis, and I'm young and still go out quite often.

On the other hand, I know a LOT of guys who prefer brunettes. Because so much of blonde hair is fake, they are smart enough to realize that blonde bombshell= $50+ a week of going to the hairdresser. Also, dark hair is more mysterious and elegant! If I weren't so pale, I'd totally dye my hair dark brown [Razz]

You'd be surprised; a lot of times being pale and having dark hair can go nicely together. I'm naturally a dark ash blonde, but anything from red to dark auburn looks pretty good with my skintone. My natural color kind of makes me look pasty, whereas the red makes me look...porcelain, I guess.

-pH

beverly
Member # 6246

I have *extremely* light skin and *extremely* dark hair. Add to that green eyes and unconcealably rosy cheeks.
pH
Member # 1350

I put myself in the "vampirically pale" category. [Razz] When I buy foundation, I buy the lightest one on the shelf, and it's still sometimes too dark.

As I've said before, when I go out in the sun, I burst into flames.

-pH

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Brunette.

Never.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
When I buy foundation, I buy the lightest one on the shelf, and it's still sometimes too dark.
I hear ya.
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
From age 12 to 21 I got hit on constantly. And I didn't date, so I couldn't have had a reputation as being 'easy'. I could always point to at least 6 guys at a time that liked me. But it helped that I never liked them back, or maybe I would have dated more.

Total strangers used to hit on me all the time, including old men. I never went to bars or clubs either, but I'd get asked out while in line at a drugstore, while stopped at a traffic light with the window down, all kinds of times.

I've been hit on by waiters while having dinner with my parents and siblings (I'm the oldest of 8). I caused a traffic accident when I was 13 - some guy was staring at me so hard he drove into a semi truck.

And yet, with all that, I was a virgin on my wedding night. It was tough, but I made it.

And after I put on the ring, I almost never got hit on again. Maybe twice, and I've been married five years now. Of course, I have gained weight and I don't think I'm attractive anymore, but that wouldn't have been true right after the wedding. Oh well. It's just as well, really.

I think part of the reason guys liked me is that I was real. I never pretended to be something I wasn't. I was kind of a nerd, but I was nice. I didn't belittle guys for daring to ask me out. I always took it as a compliment. I almost never wore makeup or did my hair, either. Though the strangers were more likely to hit on me on days when I took the time to look nice. With guys I saw at school or work it didn't matter.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Rachel--if I had that sort of experience growing up, I would feel pretty confident than men in general found me attractive. I'd like to think I'd have a lot less insecurities, even if I didn't look as good now as in my youth. But how can I really know that? Grass is always greener, I guess.

Oh, and BTW, what color is your hair? [Wink]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea why I got hit on.

I do know that it never worked on me. I don't/didn't like it when guys liked me for what I looked like, and no one ever came up with the killer pick up line of "You seem like you read Orson Scott Card."

Now that would have worked.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Beverly: Your coloring is gorgeous! If guys don't hit on you, it's probably because they think you are TOO pretty.

pH: Good point. I know plenty of beautiful pale brunettes, but my eyebrows are blonde and I don't think my eyes are dramatic enough to offset the "Morticia" look. And I can totally relate to always buying the lightest shade of everything...

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm brunette and wear my hair up in a bun or in a braid 99% of the time. When I wear it down, it's to my lower back and wavy/curly. Since I'm hardly ever seen with my hair down, I can't comment on whether or not I feel that makes any difference in my being picked up on.

As for being picked up on, I'm not sure that what happens to me counts. I get the most comments from guys when I'm walking and they're driving by. They hardly ever see the front of me, they just know I'm a female and make their comments.

More often than not, I'm told by friends and family that I don't look very friendly. I hardly ever smile when I'm walking around unless I'm thinking of something funny or in a really, really good mood. However, I do make a point of smiling and saying hi when approaching another person who is walking toward me. Every other time I'm out, I'm either with my mom -at which point I smile all the time- or I'm with my nieces/nephews. I think people tend to think my nieces and nephews are my children. A young, and from the looks of it, single mother with 2-5 kids hanging off her? I wouldn't think that's attractive to most guys.

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I've got pretty fair skin given my hair colour, too. I suspect that when I do get hit on it has something to do with the fact that I sing.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I have no idea why I got hit on.

I do know that it never worked on me. I don't/didn't like it when guys liked me for what I looked like, and no one ever came up with the killer pick up line of "You seem like you read Orson Scott Card."

Now that would have worked.

I had a guy ask me out the other day (the 3rd time I've been asked out in my life) because he thought it was cool that I liked OSC.

It didn't work for him, though.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
If guys don't hit on you, it's probably because they think you are TOO pretty.
Wow! That is very kind of you to say. I don't believe it, sadly. [Wink]
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
My hair has varied through the years from blonde to light brown to reddish, and I'm not very pretty. My weight has also fluctuated over the years. I haven't noticed any difference in attention from males based on hair color; however, I will say that when my hair is longer and I am thinner I have been more likely to be noticed.

It's almost unheard of for men to hit on me "out of the blue"; I remember one time this guy in a grocery store was trying to chat me up and then asked my friend questions about me and my reaction was "who is this psycopath?" It was only later that I realized that this is what beautiful women are accustomed to as part of their daily lives.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.