FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The movie quote game (Page 49)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50   
Author Topic: The movie quote game
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone going to do a list?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well there's a still few left on my list, I don't think there's an expiration date on these things and I'm still around so if you want to give any of them a stab...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
That's true, I suppose. I didn't even see there was an unfinished list left on here.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Was 15 from A Knights Tale?
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little of out of practice at this, so I'm not sure I've targeted my list well. It may be way too easy, or way too hard, but I figured I'd give it a go for old time's sake.

The rules of the game (adapted for the slower flow of the current forum): 3 guesses per 6 hours and the person who gets the most right wins and makes a list of their own.

1) We used to look up at the sky and wonder at our place in the stars. Now we just look down, and worry about our place in the dirt. -Interstellar -Strider

2) What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere. -Inception -JanitorBlade

3) Tell Commander Lewis, disco sucks. -The Martian -Hobbes

4) Greed can be a very powerful ally. -Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace -Sean Monahan

5) - How long until we get to his estate?
- [laughs] We've been flying over his estate for the past 2 hours. -Ex Machina -JanitorBlade

6) - I was briefed on your criminal career. Your balls are on the end of a very long leash, held by a very short man.
- I wonder if it was your father's shame that gave you such drive... Or was it your mother's reputation? I understand that she was extremely popular amongst your father's friends. -The Man from U.N.C.L.E. -Strider

7) I am in love with you. And I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed. And that one day all our labor will be returned to dust. And I know that the sun will swallow the only earth we will ever have. And I am in love with you. -The Fault in Our Stars -Hobbes

8) Crying helps me slow down and obsess over the weight of life's problems. -Inside Out -Mr. Y

9) - That is so fetch!
- Gretchen, stop trying to make fetch happen! It's not going to happen! -Mean Girls -Strider

10) So what? I had my suspicions. I always did. But we're not like other people. We love each other in our own way, and we can still live the life together that we want. You won't be the perfect husband? I can promise you I harboured no intention of being the perfect wife. I'll not be fixing your lamb all day awaiting your return from the office, will I? I'll work. You'll work. We'll have each other's company. We'll have each other's minds. Sounds like a better marriage than most. Because I care for you. And you care for me. And we understand one another more than anyone else ever has. -Imitation Game -Strider

11) Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in -Edge of Tomorrow/Live. Die. Repeat -PanaceaSanans

12) ¡Ven conmigo! ¡Te mostraré las maravillas de la galaxia, y juntos lucharemos contra el despiadado Zurg! -Toy Story 3 -Strider

13) 'Cubs win world series... against Miami'?
- Yeah, it's something, huh? Who would've thought? 100 to 1 shot! I wish I could go back to the beginning of the season, put some money on the Cubs. -Back to the Future: Part 2 -Hobbes

14) Today. Today... At the edge of our hope, at the end of our time, we have chosen not only to believe in ourselves, but in each other. Today there is not a man nor woman in here that shall stand alone. Not today. Today we face the monsters that are at our door and bring the fight to them! -Pacific Rim -Hobbes

15) I shall always love the maiden that ran away.
- And I the faraway Prince -Into the Woods

16) We made history today. "History starts out as farce and ends up as tragedy."
- Quote's the other way around.
- Yeah? Who said it?
- Marx.
- Groucho said that? -Argo -Hobbes

17) In his eagerness to save you, your God has also saved the Roman fleet. -Ben-Hur (1959) - Hobbes

18) I admit we knew we'd get in trouble. That part's true. We knew people would be worried, and we still ran away, anyway. But something also happened, which we didn't do on purpose. When we first met each other, something happened to us.
- That's very eloquent. I can't argue against anything you're saying. But then again, I don't have to, 'cause you're 12 years old -Moonrise Kingdom -Mr. Y

19) How do a bunch of guys with hand tools build all this?
- Same way they built the pyramids - and the Great Wall of China.
- Yeah... the aliens helped them. -National Treasure -Hobbes

20) In the past, all a King had to do was look respectable in uniform and not fall off his horse. Now we must invade people's homes and ingratiate ourselves with them. This family's been reduced to those lowest, basest of all creatures. We've become actors! -The King's Speech -Mr. Y

Scores:
Janitor Blade: 2
Hobbes: 7
Strider: 5
Mr. Y: 3
Panacea Sanans: 1
Sean Monahan: 1

[ September 30, 2016, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: SenojRetep ]

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
2) Inception
5) Ex Machina
8) Up. Love that line.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
How many more could you have gotten (or will you get 6 hrs from now), JB? Just so I know whether this was too easy.

<edit>BTW, 8 is not correct. Right genre, wrong movie</edit>

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

3) The Martian
13) Back to the Future 2
17) Ben-Hur (The original, I didn't see the remake so I don't know if it's in there)

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

And I can't help but notice that some of mine from 5 years ago have yet to be identified.

quote:
2. As most of you may know, we're not home yet. We're only halfway there.

4. It's great to live by the spirit, to testify day by day for eternity, only what's spiritual in people's minds. ... I'd like to feel a weight grow in me to end the infinity and to tie me to earth. I'd like, at each step, each gust of wind, to be able to say "Now." Now and now"...

5. And on the big day, you should take all the kings and their cabinets and their generals, put 'em in the center dressed in their underpants, and let 'em fight it out with clubs. The best country wins.

7.Utterly baffled and beaten, what was the lonely and broken-hearted man to do? He took the annuity and returned to Ireland with his mother to complete his recovery. Sometime later he travelled to the Continent. His life there, we have not the means of following accurately. But he appears to have resumed his former profession of a gambler without his former success.

Hobbes [Smile]
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
3) The Martian
13) Back to the Future 2
17) Ben-Hur (The original, I didn't see the remake so I don't know if it's in there)

Hobbes [Smile]

All correct!

Sorry I don't know any of yours.

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Interstellar
9) Mean Girls
10) Imitation Game

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
1) Interstellar
9) Mean Girls
10) Imitation Game

Yep.
Strider
Member # 1807

I've got two more for you in five hours!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
8) Inside Out
18) Moonrise Kingdom
20) The King's Speech

Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Y:
8) Inside Out
18) Moonrise Kingdom
20) The King's Speech

Yeah. You totally sniped Inside Out from JB.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
11) Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in

Die another day...Bill Paxton

14) Today. Today... At the edge of our hope, at the end of our time, we have chosen not only to believe in ourselves, but in each other. Today there is not a man nor woman in here that shall stand alone. Not today. Today we face the monsters that are at our door and bring the fight to them!

Independence Day...Bill Pullman

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
How many more could you have gotten (or will you get 6 hrs from now), JB? Just so I know whether this was too easy.

Crap, I totally meant Inside Out but was in too much of a hurry.

I could have probably gotten a handful more.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
11) Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in

Die another day...Bill Paxton

14) Today. Today... At the edge of our hope, at the end of our time, we have chosen not only to believe in ourselves, but in each other. Today there is not a man nor woman in here that shall stand alone. Not today. Today we face the monsters that are at our door and bring the fight to them!

Independence Day...Bill Pullman

Right on 11, Wrong on 14

<edit>Sorry, wrong on 11 as well. You're suffering from the same malady as JB. I'm sure you've got the film right, but given it the wrong name.</edit>

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
quote:

Crap, I totally meant Inside Out but was in too much of a hurry.

I could have probably gotten a handful more.

Yeah, I guessed that's what happened. Tough luck.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

I'll post hints for the remaining films in the morning, around 1100 EDT. Still anyone's game.
Strider
Member # 1807

Moonrise Kingdom got stolen before I could come back! All I got is:

6) Man from UNCLE

I swear I know (7), but I can't get at it. It's frustrating. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any of the others. Though (19) does seem somewhat familiar.

PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
11) Edge of Tomorrow. Slightly more than once, if I remember correctly.
Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww...crap...they changed the title

http://io9.gizmodo.com/warner-bros-finally-thinks-of-a-better-title-for-edge-1622150850/amp

Live. Die. Repeat.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

14) Pacific Rim

Hobbes [Smile]

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Yeah, I would have accepted either Live. Die. Repeat. or Edge of Tomorrow for (11). But Die Another Day is a different movie all together.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Clues:

4) You may have wiped it from your memories, but you've probably all seen this movie. Imagine the quote spoken in soothing, Irish-inflected tones by a mentor figure in robes.
7) Young, star-crossed lovers.
12) The last word here is a big clue.
15) A Charming Disney movie
16) The lead actor also produced and directed; the movie won the Acadamy Award for Best Picture
19) The "this" in the quote is a hidden staircase accessed via an underground passage beneath Trinity church in NYC.

Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
4) You may have wiped it from your memories, but you've probably all seen this movie. Imagine the quote spoken in soothing, Irish-inflected tones by a mentor figure in robes.

The Phantom Menace
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Well, I've got 12 roughly figured out. How exact do I have to be?

4) Phantom Menace*

*I feel gross for having to get that right.

Strider
Member # 1807

Double gross for getting beat to it.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Well, I've got 12 roughly figured out. How exact do I have to be?

If you've seen them all, you should know which one this is. Foreign language only plays a role in one of them, IIRC.
Strider
Member # 1807

I don't actually know for certain, by my credence that it's 3 is higher than that it's 2, so I'll go with:

12) Toy Story 3

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
I don't actually know for certain, by my credence that it's 3 is higher than that it's 2, so I'll go with:

12) Toy Story 3

Yep. They play the same gag in 2, but it's by replacing him with a clueless look-alike, rather than resetting his factory settings in a different language.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well I don't actually remember it, but based on your hint I'm pretty sure 16 is Argo.

Hobbes [Smile]

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Anyone else? Here's a second round of clues for the final three movies:

7) Cancer and kids
15) Sondheim
19) Benjamin Franklin Gates is the main character

Hobbes
Member # 433

7) The fault in our stars
19) One of the National Treasure movies. Do I have to know which one? I haven't seen them... I'll say the first.

Hobbes [Smile]

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
7) The fault in our stars
19) One of the National Treasure movies. Do I have to know which one? I haven't seen them... I'll say the first.

Hobbes [Smile]

Both correct, which gives you an insurmountable lead. Hobbes wins the round!

The final quote is from Into The Woods, which is a great musical, and from which Disney made a good movie. But I still like the old Great Performances version with the original Broadway cast better.

Ball is in your court, Hobbes, if you want to make up a new list (you could even include the quotes from five years ago that no one was able to get. Or not.)

Hobbes
Member # 433

1 Sadly there's very little you can do because of the tremendous red tape in the bush.

2 Reason number 2, look what I can do.
-But, what does that have to do with...
-No, no. He's got a point.

3 [Crying]I love him so much. - Raising Arizona -SenojRetep

4 Oh, I'll remember it, Joe. That's about all I'm gonna do the rest of my life is go around rememberin' your name.

5 You can't fool us by agreeing with us. - Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Sean Monahan

6 I do not think about things I do not think about.
-Do you ever think about things that you do think about?

7 I can remember everything. That's my curse, young man. It's the greatest curse that's ever been inflicted on the human race: memory. - Citizen Kane - Scott R

8 If his was more than just a vague ambition, if he was absolutely determined to discover the truth, there's no way we could prevent him. - The Truman Show - Strider

9 Let us chat together a moment, my friend! There are still several hours until dawn, and I have the whole day to sleep.

10 What did you expect? "Welcome, sonny?" "Make yourself at home?" "Marry my daughter?" You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. - Blazing Saddles - Strider

11 Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a rich man, and I've been a poor man. And I choose rich every f***ing time. - The Wolf of Wall Street - SenojRetep

12 The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherf***er in the room, accept no substitutes. - Jackie Brown - Mr. Y

13 As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown bottle in my shaving kit. - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Strider

14 I'll go to your room, but you'll have to seduce me. - Vicky Cristina Barcelona - Strider

15 You will be on the public eye. Beware of them cameras. Oh, them cameras are bad as any narcotic. - Malcolm X - SenojRetep

16 I'm British; I know how to queue. - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Strider

17 First off, stop cussin, cause you're not good at it. - I, Robot - Sean Monahan

18 I should've called the police that night but I was weak. You convinced me to stay silent; I regret that.

19 It is recognized that you have a funny sense of fun.

20 (Bonus) It doesn't do anything, that's the beauty of it.

Strider - 5
SenojRetep - 3
Sean Monahan - 2
Mr. Y - 1
Scott R - 1

Hobbes [Smile]

[ October 05, 2016, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

3) Raising Arizona

That's all I've got.

Oh, except (20) is not to be found in the natural entertainment universe.

Strider
Member # 1807

10) Blazing Saddles
13) Fear and Loathing

Strider
Member # 1807

16) Hitchhiker's Guide
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
12) Jackie Brown
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

8) Truman Show
Hobbes
Member # 433

1 The thing he wanted to do something about, was little kids getting picked up in the beaks of flies and carried off.

2 Add this to the theme song, and the main character was lucky he was unconscious for all this.

4 Turns out he also spends some amount of time arresting him and then having humorous discussions with the deputy.

5 Up a full tone, down a major third, down an octave, up a perfect fifth.

6 Don’t trouble your own home.

7 OSC doesn’t like this movie, every critic does.

9 Herzog says he was born to play this role.

11 The asterisks are appropriate, as this is one of the most profane movies in the mainstream.

14 A younger woman and an older man: who writes these things?

15 The main character of this movie really did have all the words: having copied out the dictionary.

17 The speaker spends the movie getting involved in high-tech hijinks, and having a love affair with a pair of shoes.

18 It turns out that the perpetrator did not have complete control.

19 This quote is followed by one of the two most famous smash cuts in cinema.

Hobbes [Smile]

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

11- Wolf of Wall Street?
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
17: I, Robot
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
14 A younger woman and an older man: who writes these things?
Hah, Woody Allen does.

Vicky Christina Barcelona

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
7-- Citizen Kane
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

More direct clues:

1 The original had Peter Faulk, but they sadly made a remake where Michael Douglas played his role.

2 But did you ever like the spinach puffs?

4 But keep in mind, I’m basically just on my way to Australia.

5 I refuse to give another clue after my last one. Someone play that and you’ll figure it out.

6 Then why did God plague us with the capacity to think? Mr. Brady, why do you deny the one faculty of man that raises him above the other creatures of the earth? The power of his brain to reason. What other merit have we? The elephant is larger; the horse is swifter and stronger; the butterfly is far more beautiful; the mosquito is more prolific. Even the simple sponge is more durable. But does a sponge think?

9 [Clarification on first hint: Herzog was talking about an actor he was directing, he was not referring to himself]. Does this word not sound like the midnight call of the Bird of Death? Do not utter it, or the images of life will fade - into pale shadows and ghostly dreams will rise from your heart and feed your Blood.

15 Plymouth rock landed on us.

18 If I could do something like that, I'd be the star of my AARP meetings

19 I Since you do know... ...we can claim to arrive in the name of Feisal of Mecca?
-Yes, [name], you may claim it. But in whose name do you ride?

Hobbes [Smile]

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

15 - Malcolm X

I used an online midi maker to play the melody for (5). Didn't recognize it, but then I googled the quote and realized why - I've never seen the movie. Somewhat heretical of me, but I've just never gotten around to it. But once I saw a Youtube clip of the particular scene it's featured in, I can see why that tune would be very recognizable for someone who had seen the movie.

Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

5: Close Encounters
  This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.