FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Music (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Music
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
You might try this thing called "verbal irony," Noemon. That's a type of the funny, too.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Celaeno:
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Celaeno, did you ever get those Bela Fleck songs? If so, what did you think?

I'm so sorry! It completely slipped my mind.
[Smile] No problem; I just wanted to make sure they hadn't gotten caught in a spam filter or something.

quote:
But yes, I did listen to them. I need to listen more, but my first impression was positive. It's really nice and complex without being hard to listen to. Does that make sense?

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. Glad that they were on the positive end of things for you.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
BTW, Tante -- I got to listen to some of the Klezmer Mountain Boys.

It was weird.

Indeed. Weird and wonderful.
I must admit that I didn't get as much out of it as you did. That is probably because I am almost completely unfamiliar with Klezmer music.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deceased House
Member # 9388

- posted      Profile for Deceased House   Email Deceased House         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow pplz have some real taste I must say.

Has anybody heard of a band called Apocalyptica? I think it's soo neat. They steal Metallica songs and redo them without lyrics, but using cellos and violind and such, and they do really well..

if anybody has limewire or a music downloading program, look em up

Posts: 59 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Apocalyptica, and string tributes in general. Check out the two Tool string tribute albums, or Strung Out on OK Computer.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Apocalyptica does a lot more than "steal" Metallica songs. They have some really great original tunes as well as covers of other bands.

twinky, have you heard the string tribute to AFI? I enjoy it quite a bit. I also enjoy the Tool ones and the Led Zeppelin one that I have. I'll have to check out the Radiohead one.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
ooh ooh! Can we turn this into a discussion on the morallity/legallity of downloading copyrighted music?!

Thats always fun...

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

- posted      Profile for Dr. Evil   Email Dr. Evil         Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian Legg
Leo Kottke
John Fahey
Michael Manring
Steve Nystrup
David Cullen
Billy McLaughlin

Noemon may be the only who knows these guys too.

Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I know who Adrian Legg is.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Deceased House:
Wow pplz have some real taste I must say.

Has anybody heard of a band called Apocalyptica? I think it's soo neat. They steal Metallica songs and redo them without lyrics, but using cellos and violind and such, and they do really well..

if anybody has limewire or a music downloading program, look em up

They have a nice song called Bittersweet with Ville Valo of HIM (another band i like) and the Rasmus dood whose name i do not know.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Apocalyptica rocks. I love their cover of Domination by Pantera. Their cover of Schism is also very good. I love Dutch cellists!!!!
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
You might try this thing called "verbal irony," Noemon. That's a type of the funny, too.

::takes notes::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Evil:
Adrian Legg
Leo Kottke
John Fahey
Michael Manring
Steve Nystrup
David Cullen
Billy McLaughlin

Good stuff. I was just wishing that I had Adrian Legg's Guitar for Mortals album earlier this week.
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Apocalyptica does Schism? I have to check that out. Do you know what album it appears on?
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought Pete Seeger, Bruce Springsteen - the Seeger Sessions, and John Hiatt. I am old.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Evil:
Adrian Legg
Leo Kottke
John Fahey
Michael Manring
Steve Nystrup
David Cullen
Billy McLaughlin

I had several Adrian Legg and Michael Manring albums on the list I posted. I've also got some Leo Kottke and John Fahey, but they're on vinyl so they didn't show up on my CD list.

BTW, have you ever heard Thonk? It's the hard rock/ fusion album Michael Manring did with Steve Morse. It's brilliant, in a completely different way than you'd expect from him.

[ May 12, 2006, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Baron Samedi ]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
If you all like Apocalyptica, you'll love Rasputina. There are few things in this world as hot as chicks in period costumes (dont be dirty)whaling away on a cello. Not only are they hot, but thier music doesnt suck! High praise, I know.

I've also recently become obssesed with Corvas Corux. Hot german men playing a hurdy gurdy like their life depends on it. And, they make ALL their own instruments. AND, thier music is really fun to belly dance to.

My music tastes seems so shallow. Hot men, hot ladies.... I swear those are not the only factors to my decisions about music. It just so happens that most of the music I like is created by hot people. Except Tom Waits. I love him, and I do think he is sexy, but holy crap is he a homely man.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
A correction: Apocalyptica are Finnish.

I don't think it's on any of their albums, solo.

I just found out that they do some Slayer, too. I love these guys.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Yes, Rasputina Rox.

Then Foundling, you ought to Check out Dir en grey!

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hanson and NSync are probably my favorites.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My music tastes seems so shallow. Hot men, hot ladies.... I swear those are not the only factors to my decisions about music.
Of course, people always seem hotter when they're good musicians. And charismatic. And generally nice people.

...yeah, that's the only reason Pharrell is smokin'. Seriously. *shifty eyes*

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Of course, people always seem hotter when they're good musicians."

So true!
There are so many truly homely musicians that women would sell their souls for.

I don;t think that works the same way for men, though, does it? In general, I mean.

My favorite musicians tend to be singer-songwriterish, roots rockish, and intense rather than "rockin."

I thought I liked Southern rock until I went to see Warren Haynes. I was bored. It was the same when I saw the Allmans, though I love their albums. SO, I love Southern rock in small doses.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Clips
N.E.R.D.
Pharrell
Scarface
Rick Ross
Jadakiss
The list goes on and on...

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, I think your funny is in fine shape. I got it. [Smile]

I like everything good too! That's a great way to sum it up.

twinky, check out Stravinsky's Firebird Suite, Rite of Spring, and Petroushka. I like all the classical you like, so I bet you'll like my man Igor, too. He rocks.

My favorites change through time, of course, but here they are right now. Sort of rougly arranged by time.

Tool
Radiohead
Carlos Vives
Nine Inch Nails
Red Hot Chili Peppers
A Perfect Circle
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
The Smashing Pumpkins
Beck
They Might be Giants
The Cure
Stravinsky
Ravel
Rachmaninoff
Beethoven
Bach

Lately I've begun to like System of a Down and Queens of the Stone Age quite a bit. They may move onto the all time favorites list soon. Holst is also great, but he was sort of a one-cd-band. Still, it is a great cd!

As for classic rock, I dug that stuff way back then, and most of it doesn't support any further listening for me now. I can understand why you guys like it, but I've heard it enough, with rare exceptions. Now I run from stores where they play it. [Smile]

I am amazed at all the people with such great taste here! This is very cool. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

System of a Down is my favourite band.

Does anyone listen to local music?

pH
Member # 1350

There aren't that many local bands around here that really grab me. There used to be one that I REALLY liked called The Last Band on Earth, but they split up after the hurricane.

Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes are AWESOME, though. Listen to them and buy their latest album, "Pain, Pleasure, Fear, & Opera," now available from Noiselab Records. [Wink]

The punk and ska scene here is abysmal. Most of the metal is subpar.

There are a lot of awesome local bands in Florida, though.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Does anyone listen to local music?"

My son and I are fans of The Lonesome Brothers, a local duo who is fabulous in a country-folk way. They never made it big and never will, but we are their front-row fans.
http://www.lonesomebrothers.com/

We have a pretty strong local music scene here, and on of the up-and-coming musicians is a young woman(17) named Sonya Kitchell.
http://www.sonyakitchell.com/

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, I am going to cheat.
I am going to pretend I live in Ithaca, NY. Let's say I have a summer house there. OK, it is a tent.On a fairground. In a town close to Ithaca. And I only live there for five days a summer. But still, I live there.

So, yes, I love my local music. In fact, all my favorite bands are from Ithaca, and are mostly located on this site:

www.funkyside.com

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:
System of a Down is my favourite band.

Does anyone listen to local music?

The Clips, Pharrell, and the Neptunes are all close by.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The local rock band Blame it on Brutus is really good.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
Hanson and NSync are probably my favorites.

Really?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was five, I listened to the Multiplication Rap a lot.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:
My music tastes seems so shallow. Hot men, hot ladies.... I swear those are not the only factors to my decisions about music.
...yeah, that's the only reason Pharrell is smokin'. Seriously. *shifty eyes*

-pH

You know being a musician has NEVER helped my love life? Probably because I don't rock-out. I wonder how Glenn Gould did with the ladies.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Yeah, but you're a musician like, "Ooooh, listen to this flute here." Not, "Hey, baby...I wrote a song for you on my acoustic guitar. I'm so sensitive and deep. I like to play at the coffee shop sometimes."

-pH

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Yeah, but you're a musician like, "Ooooh, listen to this flute here." Not, "Hey, baby...I wrote a song for you on my acoustic guitar. I'm so sensitive and deep. I like to play at the coffee shop sometimes."

-pH

::snicker::

I have a very wide range of likes.

Wednesday I saw Gomez and David Ford in concert. It was amazing. My best friend had an extra ticket and asked me along, and only knowing one Gomez song, but liking it never the less, I went along. They didn't play the one song, but man did they ever blow me away with the other great stuff they played. I was made into an instant fan. Edit to add: I seriously can't recommend them enough. They aren't massively popular in America, which boggles my mind. Their mix of folksy blues and hard rock, combined with three incredibly different vocals from the main singers has smooth rhythms, growling rock, and almost drugged out calmness to it. It's like having three bands in one, but the mix is just fantastic. Everyone quick, go check them out! (It's a British band).

Other than that, I'm a HUGE Dave Matthews Band fan. I just bought my June concert tickets for Dave earlier this night.

I get hooked on classical every now and then, I love all the stuff from the Fantasias, plus a smattering here and there of Mozart and Mahler, love their Requiem and Resurrection symphonies. I'm stuck on Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf." I like a little bit of Edvard Grieg, though honestly I haven't heard much more than "In the Hall of the Mountain King." I love The Planets by Holst, especially "Mars" and "Jupiter" the usual favorites, but also "Uranus." The first classical cd I ever bought was Handel's "Water Music Symphony" and I also like the "Messiah." There's a lot of fantastic OST music out there that I like, Hans Zimmer, John Williams and Howard Shore probably top my list. James Horner has some nice stuff too, but like Williams tends to recycle a bit much for my tastes. I like what Williams recycles however, which is why he's in my top three. There's a lot more classical out there I love, but I simply can't name it all right now. Except to toss Antonin Dvorak on the end. "Songs my mother taught me" and "New World Symphony" especially the fourth movement, which is probably everyone's favorite, are simple stunning pieces.

In the same vein of symphonic/choral music, I love all the stuff that was on the other thread recently on Hatrack with the Russian music, mostly sung by the Red Army Choir. The link in that thread has a lot of good music from other nations as well, I particularly like the Finnish music. I've also recently gotten into Gilbert and Sullivan. "Pinnafore" and "Pirates of Penzance" are two I want to add to my collection soon.

Musicals are something I really go for too. "1776” by Sherman Edwards is by far my favorite, but it's almost tied with "Les Miserables" and closely thirded by "Evita." “Les Mis” is Schonberg and Boubli while “Evita” is Andrew Lloyd Webber I believe. I also like "Phantom of the Opera" by Webber as well, and while I like some of the music from "Cats," it's never really struck my fancy enough to actually go see it.

I like some of the older country. I think almost all country made after 2000, or at least the majority of the new artists to come out after 2000 is all just horrible. Garth Brooks is just plain awesome. I saw him in concert once, it was an amazing performance. I’ve never seen anyone who had as much energy as he did. Thing about country music is, most of it is just plain FUN. Other than your stereotypical got dumped/dog just died sad song ballads, the fast jaunty ones are a blast.

George Straight
Clint Black*
Trisha Yearwood*
Toby Keith*
(Before he started shoving patriotism down our throats)
Reba Mcintyre***
Pam Tillis
Lori Morgan
Vince Gill**
Alabama****
(amazing band, especially live, I highly recommend them)
John Michael Montgomery*
Alan Jackson**
Randy Travis*
Faith Hill*
Tim McGraw*
Brooks & Dunn*
Martina McBride
Shania Twain
(before she went excessively pop)
Mark Chestnut
Sammy Kershaw*
Oak Ridge Boys*
Tanya Tucker
Travis Tritt*

There are a ton more, but those are just the ones I could think of off the top of my head. The ones with asterisks next to them are people I have seen in concert personally, and the number of asterisks denotes how many times I’ve seen them. There IS some good stuff from the more recent acts, but not much of it jumps to mind as being as good as my favorites from the 90’s.

I love a lot of the R&B stuff from the 90’s too.

All 4 One
Boyz II Men
Shai
Az Yet
and though he’s not from the 90’s really: Barry White

I really like the old rat pack stuff too. Benny Goodman, Louis Armstrong and Bobby Darin are favorites, as well as Ella Fitzgerald, Nancy Sinatra, & Frank Sinatra but James Darren is the best of them all in my opinion. He oozes rat pack style, and croons better than them all. Big Band and Swing music from the same era is pretty sweet too. Take a look at “Swing Kids” or “The Glenn Miller Story” movies for a nice intro into the world of those two genres. It’s the tip of the iceberg, but both are great movies, and the music is top notch.

I love a ton of rock, of all different sorts too, but it’s just too much to name (especially after everything I’ve already named on this gigantic post). Most of what has been mentioned in the rock categories is stuff I listen to. I listen to some overseas stuff in E Nomine, Rammstein & Nightwish too. Linkin Park stands out as a particular rock favorite. And I didn’t see anyone mention Bad Religion but their music is fantastic.

The only thing I don’t go for is rap and hip/hop. To me, it borders on not even being music at all. But I suppose I relent on that topic, but if it is music, I think much of it is very, very bad music. I make an exception in rap for Will Smith. Most of it is fun music, none of it is laden with swear words and obscenities, and I’m pretty sure none of it deals with slappin’ down hoes, life in the hood, or treating women like worthless objects.

Just my 2 cents.

[ May 14, 2006, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

But Lyrhawn, it's hard out here for a pimp. Jus' cause we stack paper an' we ball outrageous, dem alphabet boys got us unda surveillence.

-pH

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by pH:

-pH

I do play at the coffee shop sometimes... I DOOO!!!!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh, on the subject of local bands, the only person that comes to mind is: Jeremy Facknitz

He was in a band called The Ottomans (which beat out The White Stripes for best new band at an awards show in Detroit) who opened for the Verve Pipe, Blessed Union of Souls and others. But they parted ways and he joined his brother to crank out some really great music.

In the link above, you can listen to a few MP3s of his songs. I personally recommend "Songwriter Strikes Back" which I think is fun to listen to, and pretty funny. "Sweet Wedding Bells" is a nice ballady song too.

"Overnight Concierge" is a cool song too, it's about a guy stuck as an concierge overnight at a hotel, but what it's REALLY about is him being a DJ at Champps, the restaurant where I work. He's actually a good friend of my brother's, they used to work there together before he started in on the music scene.

I have a ton of his stuff on my computer, and a lot of his brother's music too, Jarod Facknitz. They're both great individually, and even better when they sing together. Check out their concert dates, they're all free concerts in coffee houses basically, but it's great music, and they're traveling quite a bit this summer, so try and catch them if you're nearby.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
In no particular order:

Outkast
Peter Moon Band
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Sublime
Jurassic 5
Pepper
Kalapana
Greenday
UB40
Mos Def & Telib Kweli
Bob Marley
Nas
Tupac
Foo Fighters
Gorillaz
Kanye West
Big Mountain
Cecilio & Kapono
Dispatch
Flogging Molly

My list is humbled by the quantity of indie music on this thread. I'm such a corporate whore. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
My latest infatuations are the works of:

Eric Whitacre
Yoko Kanno
Joe Hisaishi
Whoever did the music for The Constant Gardner
Harry Gregson-Williams
Holst's "The Planets"
Imogen Heap
Junkie XL
Paul Oakenfold
Royksopp (very intersting)
ISHQ
John Rutter

All in all, it's easier for me to say that I like all music except:
Rap
Hiphop (some)
Country (most)
Rock (some)

Yeah, same here Juxtapose. I think the only "indie" artist I have is Imogen Heap, and I'm not even sure if she's indie.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

Rock and Country are really the only types of music I can't bear to listen to. A lot of rock music sounds like the same thing just set to a different song, and country is just too slow for me. I like a lot of rap but I'm more hooked on the older stuff like Illmatic and Familiar Faces.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
"A lot of rock music sounds like the same thing"

Listen, this is always what people say about music they don't get. That and "it's just a bunch of bangs and crashes", though you can substitute other nonsense-sound words like "monkeys hooting" for "bangs and crashes". Those are two universal statements. Listen for them and you will hear them said over and over by diverse people talking about wildly different genres and groups. It's sort of cool that way. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Most hardcore does sound the same...because nowadays, bands have to follow a very specific formula to be considered "hardcore."

RAH RAH RAHHHHH RAHHHHHH RAH RAH RAH RAHHHHHHH LOVE WILL KILL ALL!!!!!!!!

-pH

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Country music is too SLOW?

Must not listen to a lot of country. Any genre has its slow music and its fast music. You just weren't listening to the right songs/artists.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Must not listen to a lot of country. Any genre has its slow music and its fast music. You just weren't listening to the right songs/artists.

I think alot of country simply feels slow because the orchestration and forms are tiresome and repetitive. Not always, but this is what makes me really sick of country music, I just don't appreciate the ubiquitous lap-slide and the repetitive recycled harmonies. Of course you're going to name the exceptions to that generalization, but the genre is tainted for me.
pH
Member # 1350

Toad and anyone else to whom this may apply:

If you like David Draiman's rawring, you might want to check out "Songs for the Restless" by Endo. It's more melodic, and Gil does a lot of the sexeh growls, grunts, and breathing that I love so much.

-pH

Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
[qb]
... and the repetitive recycled harmonies.

Beach Boys anyone?
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't think I buy that Orin. Some of the best music from the Beatles era is the same few chords over and over and over again, and people latched onto that like it was god himself shaking people's hands.

I won't bother to name anyone at all. You're entitled to your opinion, I just don't happen to agree. I listened to a LOT of country when I was younger, and I never once thought "Hm, this genre is way too slow." Maybe I'm just not enough musically couth for your satisfaction, but there are way too many groups, and genres out there that do the same thing you accuse country music of, that people fawn over, for me to believe that it's the reason why country is viewed as too slow.

Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Re local bands:

My absolute favorite local Chicago band is Ferdinand Fox. They just won a competition Saturday and they get to play at the Metro! I am so excited for them. (I helped them out by sewing patches onto t-shirts and getting creative with fabric.) If they win the Metro, they get to tour Europe! Fox rox ass! [Big Grin]

There's also a really good D.I.Y. punk/hardcore scene here. My favorite hardcore/thrash band is Disrobe. Loud, screaming, unintelligible, punch people kind of music. SHUT UP AND PLAY!!! [Evil Laugh]

[ May 15, 2006, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Luet13 ]

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

I just listened to a few Endo tracks, and I gotta say, I like it.

On the subject of country, there's something to suit everyone's taste. An indie band from Toronto, Eliott Brood, is playing something called "death country" it's not really heavy, but it's cool. The drummer uses an old suitcase instead of a bass drum. It's not to everyone's taste, but I know that some Hatrackers like varied music. Linky-tinky.

I definitely wish there was more variety in new hardcore music, but I can live with what I have. [Smile]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.