Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Hatrack Gift arrived! Please email if you have not gotten a gift. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: My Hatrack Gift arrived! Please email if you have not gotten a gift.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No not me. I'm pretty sure my sender hasn't sent yet. But I know at least a few have and gifts could likely be arriving today or tommorow.

I'll just reitterate a few rules, yes gifts have to be sent by the 1st for college students and the 10th for everyone else. Please email hatrackfestivus@gmail.com when you have sent your gift so I don't have to hound people who are innocent.

Post here when your recieve your gift. As always if you have questions, post or email.

[ January 07, 2008, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: breyerchic04 ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of curiosity, how many of the participants were college students this year? (Since the deadline to ship their presents is tomorrow I assume we'll be hearing from many of them earlier than many of the others.)
Posts: 21180 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't mark any way for me to tell this year. Did a much simpler spreadsheet. So I'm not sure. I think maybe 4 with double addresses, but that's off the top of my head.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have mine ready to ship out, just need to get some postage.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what's awesome? If you know the weight (or are using flat-rate packaging) you can just print out a label and postage online, then tape it to the package. And you can drop it in a drop box at the P.O. or request a carrier pickup! This is the first time I've ever done it and it was so awesome I'm doing it again. When I resume selling on eBay (I'm kind of on hiatus) I may actually buy a postage scale so I can do that all the time. No more trips to the Post Office to wait in line for the automated machine (because the other line is three times as long or the office is closed!)
Posts: 21180 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to go buy stamps for cards, so that is why I'm not buying the printable postage online. Well, hmm...I guess I could buy stamps online too, huh?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, huh. You can print out postage for cards online, or you can have the stamps sent to you.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

If they would let me print the Yoda ones, I'd do it happily!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Sadly the postage that prints looks like the postage that prints at the machine-- just a barcode type thingy (not actually a barcode, but a scanner code, you KWIM) and a postage amount and weight and date.

Like I said, you can order stamps online and they will be delivered to you via Priority Mail.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Or your mailman likely carries stamps (ours does) that you can leave him cash for in an envelope.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

THAT I have never heard of. But it's cool.

But wouldn't he only have the flag ones, or whatever the regular ones look like now?

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I left a note saying I wanted a different kind and he got them the next day when he picked up mail.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wow, neat! Sounds like you have an excellent mail carrier.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*waits for some real posts on the thread*
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got my gift. [Big Grin] KPC(ketchupqueen's husband) sent me a Gene Autry CD and an assortment of Korean candies. Thank you.
Posts: 4256 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you liked it. I wasn't sure if Gene Autry was something you had a lot of or would be a big fan of. But it's hard to go wrong with candy, I figured that was a safe bet.

I forgot to put in one thing-- I was going to give you a certificate for a free professionally prepared tax return. (I work at a tax firm. I'm a tax accountant.) If you're interested feel free to e-mail me. [Smile]

Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My musical tastes are pretty wide ranging. I'll enjoy the CD. It'll remind me of my grandma. She loved the singing cowboys.

email sent to the address in your profile.

Posts: 4256 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

It sounds like we have a good mail carrier, sadly more than once I've gotten an invitation to something after the date, because it was delivered to the wrong house first.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Derrell, he got the cd for you because he thought we liked a lot of the same kind of stuff and I like the singing cowboys; I like the singing cowboys partly 'cause the songs are fun and the music not bad, and partly 'cause my mom likes them, and she likes them because she grew up watching them with her dad, who died when she was 12. Also Roy Rogers looked a lot like her dad so she really likes him best (although she likes Gene Autry's music better.) We also live close to the Gene Autry Museum of Western Heritage and went so often when I was a kid that we had a membership. We still go occasionally.

So now you have the backstory on singing cowboys and my family. More than you ever wanted to know. [Wink]

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my gift this weekend as well! Sorry I forgot to post though - it's been one of those weeks.

Anyway, I got a lovely stocking filled with goodies from kq. I am especially fond of the little bearded ornaments and the fact that there was a long letter with explanations for every single item in the stocking. I'm also really looking forward to eating the chocolate, but I'm saving it for finals week when I'll really need it.

Thank you!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it. [Big Grin]

Were the tangerines okay? I was worried they would mold or I didn't pack them well enough and they would squish.

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they were quite okay. My roommate and I enjoyed them immensely. I also really liked that you left the stem and leaves on them. We usually do clementines in the stockings in my family, but they don't come with anything green attached.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, I thought those said "California." [Big Grin]

(Those were Satsumas, btw, the favorite around here and the variety we always have in our stockings.)

Dragon
Member # 3670

Hmm, I always thought that "clementine" and "satsuma" were just regional words for the same fruit. Wikipedia has assured me that this is not the case however.

quote:
However, it should not be confused with similar fruit such as the satsuma, another popular variety.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Clementine and satsuma are both varieties of the same fruit. But like different varieties of apple, different varieties of tangerine have different properties. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Emma is sad that her gift recipient hasn't posted yet.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, this is the first year I haven't done this in a long time! [Smile] Have fun with your gifts, everyone!
Posts: 7853 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

KQ, I can email Emma and Bridey's recipients if you'd like.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, I don't think Bridey cares. Ems is disappointed, though, so if you want to e-mail him that's fine.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I've talked to them both and they both say they'll post. But you know how guys are [Wink]
miamiandy
Member # 8906

- posted      Profile for miamiandy   Email miamiandy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gift arrived Friday but I just picked it up from the mail room today. It was a gift from ketchupqueen and her royal heinzness. I got a sci-fi book called "The Dictionary of Science Fiction Places" and a bag of Tootsie Pops.

Thanks a lot the book looks great and so does the candy. Happy holidays

Posts: 35 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Glad you liked it. [Smile] Bridget picked out the candy herself. It was pretty funny to watch.
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde   Email Eisenoxyde         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was gone over the weekend so I didn't open Emma's gift until Sunday night. I liked building some stuff with the candy legos before snacking on them (and the peanut m&m's). I also tested out the squishy ball by pegging my roommate in the back while he was doing homework. Thank you Emma for the lovely gifts, especially the edible ones!
Posts: 163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Emma says, "That's good he liked his mail! But it is not nice to thwow balls at people while they is doing they schoolwork." *giggle*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Did you see that she signed her own name? That's the first time she's ever done that.)
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde   Email Eisenoxyde         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I saw her signature. That's really cool that I have her first one. [Big Grin]
Posts: 163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine arrived at my house today. I think i'm going home over the weekend so I'll update when I actually get it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

I sent mine on Monday, so it should be getting there now/soon...
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

No worrying until at least 9 days after you mail a gift.
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine arrived yesterday. It was such a great surprise! landybraine sent me a wonderfully huge purse that I am in love with. Also some hand made chocolates which I will be consuming soon. And the thing that I'm truly geeked about is a signed old sci-fi fanstasy book called Midworld by Alan Dean Foster. I'll start reading it as soon as I'm done with my current book.

Thank you so much Brandy!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't get mine yet, but if whoever has me sends theirs and I don't respond for a bit, well, I'm going to be in Ireland for the next week-ish. It's not that I'm trying to ignore anyone if a present is sent, it's just that I'm out of the country! Don't panic!
Posts: 3928 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landybraine
Member # 10807

- posted      Profile for landybraine   Email landybraine         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elly, I'm soo glad you liked everything! It was such a joy to shop for you. I really hope you like the book. And I love that you like the purse. I hesitated on the purse because is was so huge...but I'm so glad it works. It will be good to chat on the 'rack. I think this is the best part of the gift exchange--getting to make connections with other Hatrackers!

Merry Christmas! [Big Grin]

Posts: 99 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent part one of mine
Part two might take a while as I have fallen on hard times.

Posts: 9883 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gift was hand-delivered to me Wednesday evening by cmc, who was stopping through on her way to...someplace else. She was like some sort of holiday nymph who delivers gifts and vanishes into the night with a "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a..." Well, actually, she just said "Merry Christmas!" I managed to stammer a "Thank you" before she ran back into the darkness. My husband and I kept talking about how weird it was that we didn't see or hear her car. Could she have been driving a motorless vehicle pulled by magical beasts?

The gift she brought is, oh, so lovely. It's a wrought-iron candleholder in the shape of a dove clasping an olive branch in its beak. I placed it on my mantlepiece and added a red bow and a sprig of evergreen to the base. I put a treasured white candle from my wedding into the holder. She also brought a delectable chocolatey, nutty treat she called "bark" that has been completely devoured by my family (I got a little, too.). Plus a homemade card.

Thank you, cmc!

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Tante! Way to go with the scarf and the music cd! I'm wearing the scarf tonight when I hit the movies. [Big Grin]

PS: Thanks for the card as well, it was very sweet.

*high five*

Posts: 14240 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I'm glad it arrived safely and that you can put it to good use. Keep warm this winter!

Now that I'm done crocheting your scarf, I'm back to my other crochet projects.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Received my gift today from dawnmaria. As I was reading the note and pulling out the items I very much felt like Jayne Cobb in the Firefly episode, "The Message" when he gets his hat: "Ooh, Enclosed!"

I will very much enjoy the chocolate covered peanuts (Virginian specialty) and the homemade fudge. I will also enjoy fending off the family and co-workers. [Big Grin] My wife informed me that we have to get out decorating done, so the ornaments were well-timed. Thank You!

Also, dawnmaria, do you by chance have relative in the Danville area? I have some friends with family in the area with your same last name. Although I do realize the chance is small, I just had to ask. [Smile]

----

As a side note, today I finally was able to pick up the gift that I'm sending out, so it will be going out on Monday!

edited for spelling...

[ December 09, 2007, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Pegasus ]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*blushes... a lot...*

Glad you're happy with your gift and that you guys enjoyed the bark. I'd have to say that's my best batch yet. : )

That card was some serious work, too. Plus - I had my usual... 'they're going to think this is so dumb' moment(s?), too. ; )

So, yeah, I'm really glad you are pleased with what I picked.

And, well, Merry Christmas! (plus happy, merry, felicitous, joyous, celebratory, you catch my drift... all the rest of the stuff that happens around now, too. ; ) )

You are Welcome.

Posts: 1283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Oh, I'm glad it arrived safely and that you can put it to good use. Keep warm this winter!

Now that I'm done crocheting your scarf, I'm back to my other crochet projects.

Well mother nature decided she didn't want me to leave the house and threw 1 ft of snow at us. I almost wish I had one of those gas chugging 4 wheel drive SUVs. Can you crochet one of those?
Posts: 14240 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pegasus I am so glad you like your stuff! I do not have any relatives in Danville. The name on the package is my married name. I did live in Danville when I was a small child. Pre-K thru 1st grade. My husband's family is not as tight knit as mine so he may have a whole parcel of people down there he's related to and not know it! They're the type of people that only see each other at weddings and funerals while my family can't change their brand of laundry detergent without a full fledged family meeting! I like my way better!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.