FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mitt Romney's out (Page 8)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Mitt Romney's out
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Would Romney still be in the race had he been running against these two?
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Well, if it's a Frankish knight and Japanese samurai, I'd think the native born clause would exclude them both from running, but let's say they are born here citizens.

They're both in the military, so that's good from the point of view of electability, but I think a lot of GOP voters might shy away from an Asian president, plus he's probably Shinto, so, an animist religion will turn off the Conservative base of the party, though given Japan's view of illegal immigrants at the time, I'm sure his policies on the border would play well with the party's base.

The Frankish knight on the other hand would be strong on defense, probably a highly religious Christian, and very much interested in defending our interests abroad. He'd probably be quite wealthy, which means he'd be able to provide some of his own funding perhaps for the campaign, and I think he'd play well in the Bible Belt and the plains states.

Conclusion? I think the Samurai takes California, and the geek vote nationwide, but overall the knight is innately more electable. I'm guess the Democrats would run a wizard or mage against him in the General though. That'd be a tough one.

A wizard? Tsk tsk, the Democrats always make the mistake of running Ivory Tower intellectuals that the common man has a hard time understanding. The knight would win for sure.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Hang on, though, the Frank is likely to be a Catholic. That wouldn't be so good for the Evangelicals. He's also likely to support the Inquisition, torture as a means of getting information, and white supremacy; which isn't so good for, basically, anyone.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the using torture as a means of getting info doesn't seem to upset that many Americans. It means he is tough on terror. And his pro-Inquisition viewpoints will go well with Huckabee's Constitution rewrites.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I say how much I loathe that "like torture for others" has become part of the Republican platform?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I think its high time for a national leader that is willing to commit seppuku in response to mismanagement of military events [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Can I say how much I loathe that "like torture for others" has become part of the Republican platform?

You loathe that it has or that people speak presumptively as though it has?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Well, if it's a Frankish knight and Japanese samurai, I'd think the native born clause would exclude them both from running, but let's say they are born here citizens.

They're both in the military, so that's good from the point of view of electability, but I think a lot of GOP voters might shy away from an Asian president, plus he's probably Shinto, so, an animist religion will turn off the Conservative base of the party, though given Japan's view of illegal immigrants at the time, I'm sure his policies on the border would play well with the party's base.

The Frankish knight on the other hand would be strong on defense, probably a highly religious Christian, and very much interested in defending our interests abroad. He'd probably be quite wealthy, which means he'd be able to provide some of his own funding perhaps for the campaign, and I think he'd play well in the Bible Belt and the plains states.

Conclusion? I think the Samurai takes California, and the geek vote nationwide, but overall the knight is innately more electable. I'm guess the Democrats would run a wizard or mage against him in the General though. That'd be a tough one.

But the Frankish knight would be both Catholic, and French. Those could work against him if the samurai had a good PR director.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Very likely that he'd be Catholic. For all intents and purposes, he's American for this discussion, but even if he wasn't there's no guarantee that he'd be French. He could be any of a couple dozen different kingdoms or principalities. If memory serves, Frank comes from the Arabic "franj" which meant something like "outsider." It was a generic term used by the Arabs in Outremer to describe pretty much any Western knight, regardless of nationality or allegience.

But I'm 99% positive that if religion were an issue, they'd vote for a Catholic before they vote for an animist. At least a Catholic is still Christian. Though ironically, the stuff they were afraid of in the 60's about Popes giving orders would probably have a lot more truth to it, depending on the time period.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
They'd both piss off the female vote immediately.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay: So the knight gets the Republican nod.

For the Democratic side we have an even more epic struggle: The pirate and the ninja.

Which would win the Democratic nod, in this most epic of all presidential races?

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure even the Democratic tent is THAT big.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Temposs
Member # 6032

- posted      Profile for Temposs           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Hang on, though, the Frank is likely to be a Catholic. That wouldn't be so good for the Evangelicals. He's also likely to support the Inquisition, torture as a means of getting information, and white supremacy; which isn't so good for, basically, anyone.

First, the Inquisition was a Spanish thing, so the Frankish knight wouldn't necessarily support it.

Second, "white supremecy" would not have been in the mindset of a Frankish night, as we know racism today. One theory is that institutionalized racism actually started with the Spanish slave trade, when they started buying primarily for west African slaves. The mindset spread throughout Europe from there.

(I'm taking a course on the History of the Jewish Sepharad this semester)

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the Inquisition was a Spanish thing
No it wasn't. The Spanish Inquisition was a Spanish thing. The Inquisition was pan-Catholic. The office of the Inquisition still exists today, but with a name change. The current Pope was head of it at one time.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Hmmm, a knight for the Republicans? Well, as long as it is not a Templar Knight, those guys could be seriously bone-headed on the battlefield.

As for the democrats, if we're considering a pirate versus a ninja. I think a pirate would play well to the base, with lax intellectual property stances (that would annoy the establishment), ambiguous sexuality (which would play well to the gay marriage crowd), and with a rather instinctive detachment to the military which would tend to shorten a stay in the Iraqi theatre.

On the other hand, a ninja, while suffering from both being Asian and non-Christian, would be much more of a hawk, albeit with an rejuvenated and welcomed emphasis on intelligence and special forces operations rather than conventional military.

What other issues are there? Abortion? Pirate might be more liberal, wanting more access to and less consequences for the companion to "pillage and ..." [Wink]
Gun rights, a pirate would be for gun rights. A ninja would be less predictable.
Drugs, a pirate would be all for legalised drugs. A ninja would be more conservative.

Hmmm, I'm starting to get the sense that a ninja would be more of an establishment candidate while the pirate would be more of a populist, playing well to the base. But between intellectual property rights (hostile to corporations), ambiguous sexuality (gay marriage), and abortion plus the ninja advantage on military I'd say the better choice for the democrats would be the establishment ninja to attract the independents and attack the swing states. That said, the democrat party may well pick the unelectable populist pro-base pirate candidate and shoot themselves in the foot.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

That's okay, chicks dig the wooden leg.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
quote:
the Inquisition was a Spanish thing
No it wasn't. The Spanish Inquisition was a Spanish thing. The Inquisition was pan-Catholic.
This is true. As recently as 100 years ago the Inquisition was still active in rural parts of Brazil. Not as active as it was in Spain, but still.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Moreover, "the Inquisition" encompassed a range of activities, from torture and execution to tribunals who determined whether someone had committed heresy and prescribed solely ecclesiastical punishment (up to and including excommunication and laicizing priests).

The latter functions are still carried on today by an organization within the Church that is a direct successor to the organization that oversaw the Roman Inquisition.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Temposs
Member # 6032

- posted      Profile for Temposs           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I admit my wrongness. I was tired last night.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
As for the democrats, if we're considering a pirate versus a ninja. I think a pirate would play well to the base ... ambiguous sexuality ...

Um, Is the "ambiguous sexuality" taken from Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow? I can't think of ANY other sexually ambiguous pirates. I'm not sure we should assume our theoretical pirate is sexually ambiguous based on one recent popular film series.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't think of ANY other sexually ambiguous pirates.
I take it you haven't read Billy Budd.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

Nope.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for the democrats, if we're considering a pirate versus a ninja. I think a pirate would play well to the base . . . with a rather instinctive detachment to the military which would tend to shorten a stay in the Iraqi theatre.
Are you forgetting that many pirates actually had a contract with the queen of England and some of the more famous pirate captains, (Francis Drake for example) were promoted to captains in the royal navy
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously we're talking about the romanticized and fictionalized sort of pirate found in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, where the military is a fascist and imperialist regime and the pirates are just a bunch of freedom-loving sea-hippies.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Indeed. And if I had more knowledge of anime (not that I want to), I would pick a similarly colourful, romanticized, and fictionalized ninja character [Smile]

The Rabbit: Voters would go for Jack Sparrow over Francis Drake. Charisma counts, saavy?

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...pirates are just a bunch of freedom-loving sea-hippies.
*snort*
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
As for the democrats, if we're considering a pirate versus a ninja. I think a pirate would play well to the base . . . with a rather instinctive detachment to the military which would tend to shorten a stay in the Iraqi theatre.
Are you forgetting that many pirates actually had a contract with the queen of England and some of the more famous pirate captains, (Francis Drake for example) were promoted to captains in the royal navy
Those were privateers. You're only a pirate if you don't have a letter of marque and reprisal.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Whether they or not there was any difference between a pirate and are privateer depends mostly on whether you were Spanish or English.

Isn't the hispanic vote important to you?

quote:
Obviously we're talking about the romanticized and fictionalized sort of pirate found in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, where the military is a fascist and imperialist regime and the pirates are just a bunch of freedom-loving sea-hippies.
Pirates of the Caribbean aside, the Buccaneers that ran pirate ships out of Tortula might well be described as freedom-loving sea-hippies. Likely the most democratic group to ever sail the seven seas, they frequently elected new captains several times during a campaign.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sea-hippie" is my new favorite word.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

[Smile]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Pirate for President? been there. Done that.

Now Ninja--talk about a dark horse candidate. Face it, he would Steal the election.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Pirate for President? been there. Done that.

Now Ninja--talk about a dark horse candidate. Face it, he would Steal the election.

Are you sure he can?

*ducks*

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Any self respecting Ninja wouldn't run for President. He'd use his resources to secure a much easier post, like President Pro Temp. Then he'd assasinate the president and VP, elevating himself to power through guile and trickery.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Mitt would still be in the race if kids knew how hardcore he was (language, questionable use of Jesus Christ). As if pirates or samurai could stand a chance.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
If Mitt were in the race, a ninja would have to run against him, as per the age old rivalry between ninjas and robots.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

[ROFL]
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition...
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

No self respecting pirate would ever assume the office of President. He'd announce his campaign, amass an enormous war chest of donations, then suspend his campaign, use the money to buy an Island in the Caribbean and spend the rest of his life drinking rum and enjoying the brown sugar.
Mucus
Member # 9735

Romney? Is that you?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
If Mitt were in the race, a ninja would have to run against him, as per the age old rivalry between ninjas and robots.

I believe you are confused, sir. Everyone knows that it's pirates versus ninjas and monkeys versus robots.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No self respecting pirate would ever assume the office of President. He'd announce his campaign, amass an enormous war chest of donations, then suspend his campaign, use the money to buy an Island in the Caribbean and spend the rest of his life drinking rum and enjoying the brown sugar.
Ohhh, so that's what Ron Paul is doing.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I thought the robots were against the giant radioactive lizards.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

No, that's the Japanese (which may or may not include samurai and ninjas).
pooka
Member # 5003

I read the Nova episode about how they craft katana yesterday. It was really awesome. Someone tried to explain it to me when I was about 7, and I totally didn't get it.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
I read the Nova episode about how they craft katana yesterday. It was really awesome. Someone tried to explain it to me when I was about 7, and I totally didn't get it.

I love the fact that, in a thread entitled "Mitt Romney's Out", someone can say the above, and just the above, and have it be completely on-topic.

I'm sure there are even better examples of thread drift in this forum's history, but this is definitely the best one I've ever participated in.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:

I've seen a special on it before. All I remember is that they heat it, fold it, pound it, and between each layer they mix something, but I can't remember what it is. Then they heat it to bind it all together, fold, pound, etc. And eventually you're left with a giant razor blade.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone see the Mythbusters where they tried to cut off the barrel of a machine gun with a samurai sword? As I recall, the sword came out much worse, even when the gun barrel was heated to make it softer.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
Anyone see the Mythbusters where they tried to cut off the barrel of a machine gun with a samurai sword? As I recall, the sword came out much worse, even when the gun barrel was heated to make it softer.

Your recollection is correct, on all points.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a show, recently, where they compared the effects, both on the sword and on the target, between a modern forged sword of high grade carbon steel and a katana.

It was great.

[ February 15, 2008, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I saw a show, recently, where they compared the effects, both on the sword and on the target, between a modern forged sword of high grade carbon steel and a katana.

It was great.

What happened?

Edited to include the quote, since this tops a new page.

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.