FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I, Screenwriter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I, Screenwriter
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonas Brothers at the Super Bowl!

[ October 14, 2008, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Danlo the Wild ]

Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Bull.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naysayer
Member # 11778

- posted      Profile for naysayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Preposterous!

[Embarrassed]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've poured my heart, soul and sanity into this project.
so that's where it went... [Smile]

Edited to add:

In all seriousness, I'm a little skeptical of its greatness, given the quality of your writing on the board. Did you punctuate the screenplay? Is it coherent?

Will you email it to me so I can send you an insulting critique? Nothing personal. I always want to discourage people from writing.

Wow, I'm a little hostile.

[ October 11, 2008, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: TL ]

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
ooooooooooooooooo Thor can you emails it toomee

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

I always like to read....

In all seriousness I would actually like to read it. I will send you my review, so could you please send it.

Use the email on my profile.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
You. Spammer.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Bull.

Seconded.

There's nothing worse than an aging hipster.

Danlo, please prove your greatness rather than wasting my time avowing it.

So far, you're about 76 quality posts shy of impressing me.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

So you gonna send it?

My email: (Edit: check my profile, I dun wan no losers spamming me.)

[ October 11, 2008, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: T:man ]

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
gimme a day and i'll send the first 10 pages. [Smile]
Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

I actually like it...

It is pretty good. I'm such a snob, I have to point out that the Yamato are from Japan; therefore they could not be the oldest family in asia. [Embarrassed]

Ignore me! I liked this scene. Email me the rest so I can edit my email out.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. Thor, as usual, your imagery is good but your dialogue is both pretentious and incoherent. You're a cinematographer, man, or a director.

(If you would like, though, I'd be happy to correct your typos for you. It worries me a little that you've been showing this to people for three years and no one's pointed out the basic grammar errors.)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

This script.... sucks?
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Danlo the Wild:
Everyone who's read it has called it "Perfect, Awesome".

I guess that's not technically true anymore.
quote:
And if it was filmed? It'd be wicked.

I assume you mean definition 3?
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of other sorts of artistic expression, I really, really like a lot of your visual art, Thor. I would be interesting in purchasing prints of some of it, and talking about a deal to sell prints of it, for that matter.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems as if the people of hatrack have never heard of constructive critism, Danlo, you HAVE to remember, ninjas can't use jetpacks! They would be spotted instantly, pogo sticks is understandable.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In all seriousness, I'm a little skeptical of its greatness, given the quality of your writing on the board. Did you punctuate the screenplay? Is it coherent?

Nah. Part of the premise is that this all takes place in a drug-induced fantasy of James Joyce and e e cummings.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Xann.:
It seems as if the people of hatrack have never heard of constructive critism, Danlo, you HAVE to remember, ninjas can't use jetpacks! They would be spotted instantly, pogo sticks is understandable.

I am only constructive if I feel that the person is at all receptive, or in fact, at all interested in being criticized. But when someone says that what they've done is great, and moreover, everyone so far has said it is great, I am glad to take the opportunity, if it is warranted, of telling that person that they are not being realistic. This is one of those cases. There is an exceedingly short list of people who avow their own greatness, and who actually have achieved great and notable things, and even those people are difficult to suffer gladly.

Thor is not Quentin Tarantino.

Kwea
Member # 2199

He isn't even Uwe Boll...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:

Nah. Part of the premise is that this all takes place in a drug-induced fantasy of James Joyce and e e cummings.
You realize this is the premise under which I am writing...?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thor is not Quentin Tarantino.
Actually -- and I mean this in all seriousness -- I think Thor could be Tarantino. I don't mean that literally, obviously. But I think there are enough similarities between Thor and Tarantino -- their strengths, their subject matter, their visual styles -- that I could very easily see Thor becoming a director in the Tarantino mold. Provided he gets off his butt and finishes film school and makes a movie or two.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
These kids are such total conformists, scared to step out of the norm for even a split second, and their only form of humor seems to be making fun of people in a spiteful fashion.
Word. I'm a little curious as to what the financial crunch will do. Or even an Obama election? I think that with the financial crunch, either people will push to conform, or they'll think that there is not enough room for them even if they do conform, and they'll become radical, deadbeat, and all strips of awful or awesome. If Obama wins, I think there will be a push for conformity among the younger generation. Whereas McCain may actually arouse a counter-culture that comes from feeling impotent.

As to the script, I like it. I'm a little worried that you are substituting affectations for character. Is the girl wise beyond her years, in which case, she wouldn't be amused by Ogama, or she is a regular kid, in which case, she'd freak out a bit when the ninjas descend around her. Again, with the old man dancing, that seems to me to be an affect, not so much a quality of serious character, especially if knows he is about to let loose a revolution.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"There's nothing worse than an aging hipster."

Thor isn't even 35 yet, IIRC. In fact, I believe he was born the same year as TomD and myself. If being over 30 is old...what is young? And, for that matter, where's my Social Security check, and senior citizen discounts? I mean, if you're going to take away my illusions of still being "young", how about some compensation of the monetary type? I need some help buying Rogaine.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

First it's just an offhand quote from Dr. Evil.

I said it to point out that Thor was talking quite a big rap without producing anything. He then produced some, imo, garbage which was supposed to be impressive, proving the point.

steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor, why don't you give us a 1-2 page plot summary? And, in general, if you're going to do something like this, you might want to set it in China. The families there are older, and there is more history and tradition. You could draw on the Buddhist monk tradition, or the Wudang mountain Taoist tradition, or just make up something. There are plenty of secret societies in China, martial and otherwise, therefore it would be more plausible than resurrecting the samurai. You could have an underground cave temple. In that case, the fact that the society is secret would be more plausible.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xann.:

This is the single greatest post known to man, it is in fact so great, i will now be known as "The Artist Formally and for Ever After Known, for Really Really Great Posts".
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

Hi The Artist Formally and for Ever After Known, for Really Really Great Posts!
Kwea
Member # 2199

Feel free to. I wouldn't, but that is because I have taste.

Not to mention a decent memory.

The best thing about this project is that it is yours....which means it will probably never even be finished, let alone be made into something I might have to watch.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

I think that the public has really been waiting for a slow-cooking, yet exciting story about the devil taking over the world through economics (an idea taken from Batman?) who is stopped by 300 Samurai, (The Last Samurai?), and a secret ninja society that lives in an underground temple, (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles).
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
In fairness, I believe there's a market for this movie. I can even imagine paths the movie could take where I would be part of that market. (I like Equilibrium, gun fu and all. It's fun.)

It's all going to come down to execution. Getting folks to take jet pack wearing ninjas seriously is going to be a bit of a problem. I might throw in a bit of the fantastic before hand, firmly plant the idea that this is not our world, you know? Or you could save the jet packs for later when you've already got viewers emotionally involved.

Another issue is genre. It comes across as classic Asian fantasy. Then you add in some hints of sci fi. But from the rest of your description, it mostly sounds like a superhero movie. And that's good because the rules already work different in superhero movies and the audience accepts that. I have no idea on how to help the opening (before the action starts) to go from Asian fantasy to superhero Asian, but that would be my advice.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
What in God's name is this thread.

I started giggling at Irami's post and pretty much haven't stopped yet.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Thor's ideas for movies are, at heart, always superhero movies. And they quite deliberately mess with tone; his dialogue channels Star Wars and Jackie Brown in the same scene, with the same character.

I'm of the opinion that it's possible to pull off such a movie. But I don't know that you'd necessarily want to, or even that the audience for that movie really exists in great numbers; most people I know think From Dusk 'Til Dawn goes downhill after the vampires show up, and Thor's films are deliberately aimed at the people who don't feel that way.

Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

i lov u guys
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...his dialogue channels Star Wars and Jackie Brown in the same scene...
"Death Star. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every #%@!%$ on the planet, accept no substitutes."
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And they quite deliberately mess with tone...
I see. While I'm all for films that challenge people, I do think it's important to recognize that it does make them less accessable. And if fewer people are expected to watch it, it'll be harder to get financing.

So Thor, if this is something you're writing because you love it, then by all means keep at it. But if you're hoping to sell it, you might need to compromise a bit.

Or look into ways to stretch a budget. Is animation cheaper? How about that entirely green screened scenery stuff that Sanctuary is doing? There's probably a way to make it happen, but it will take more forethought on your part.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

I still do not have my email!

My emails in my profile...

Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
It would do my already fractured mind good to go on believing that that these are posts meant as a joke. There can't be any legitimate reason why anyone would take this seriously as an even remotely good idea. Danlo if this is just you having a lark, I laugh with you. If you are being sincere, then I die a little on the inside.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
"How about an epic battle scene, you know like 300 or LOTR with like ninjas and junk. And samurai that would so be cool. Give it like a regal background for the fight, like Hero, but give them blasters and other techy stuff. Why? Who cares it'll be awesome, like a Firefly sorta thing. And let's have this chick with sweet swords and she'll be totally badass like Uma for Kill Bill. Whew best movie ever.

"But aren't you just taking scenes that have already been done well in other movies you've seen and crashing them together into the span of a few minutes and claiming greatness, effectively just going off on some nerd-gasm musing."

"Basically, but I've created my own mythology"

"Really?"

"The chick may be a god, they're in the future, and Otis's face is a weapon. I really liked that line"

"Me too, good job"

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Danlo:

It's not my kind of movie.

You need to anchor your dialog a bit-- so that when your heroine says to the samurai, "Are you my king?" we can get a sense of why she's saying it. Previous to this, she was a goofy kid at the adults' table-- your directions don't provide proof of the change.

It does have a very Tarantino feel to it-- the exuberance and the overbearing style and the over-the-top-ness of it all. But it lacks heart so far. Kill Bill was overbearing and ridiculous and exuberantly over-the-top; but we cared for B. from the very moment we saw her.

I don't care for Grace-- she's cardboard and paint as far as I can see. Now Oti-- he's a card. I like that guy. You've given him something to do. Give Grace the same opportunity alongside of him.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
There can't be any legitimate reason why anyone would take this seriously as an even remotely good idea.
Sure there is. I take Danlo's work seriously because he asked me to when he called for constructive criticism.

It doesn't cost me much to give him advice I believe.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hello-Yes
Member # 11577

- posted      Profile for Hello-Yes           Edit/Delete Post 
I am, thought good ideas. Danlo being also, like to me, understanding all of fights in film actions. We are liking him incredible.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, yes? Danlo make super happy fun time read for me and you, yes?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:

You do realize you're mocking someone using a translator, right?
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow I don't believe that this is actually written . . .

You know, so far the only way I can describe the expression I've had on my face reading this thread is
o_0

There's no way this is serious.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:

You do realize you're mocking someone using a translator, right?
I'm well aware of who they are.

I still say they are not a real person.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30071120&l=43deb&id=1429806356

proof i am human

rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, technically, that could be anybody...
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Proof of nothing, kiddo.

Sorry.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can anyone post Eagleeye or Wanted's first 4 pages?

You should aim higher than the worst of the genre.

Generally speaking, no one's buying dreck from an unknown -- those jobs go to the cousins of studio execs.

If you don't have connections, a name, or an in, you need to have talent.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Who said you aren't a person?
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

Jonas Brothers at the Super Bowl!
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.