FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I, Screenwriter (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I, Screenwriter
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
Texas has tons of televangelists who love to wear suits and ties.

Joel Osteen, I stated early and often, that it was creepy for him to purchase and preach at a basketball arena in a business suit. The Big sign on the stadium says "Joel Osteen Ministries" I want them to include "Guest starring Jesus."

Some people think Jesus in a business suit and tie is normal, some people think gay Jesus is normal. I guess a relationship with God is the most personal so it is in the eye of the beholder.

Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
Kissing of the Pope's ring is creepy. imo.
Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Did he speak in a downhome texas drawl and say things like: "you just don't understand how things're dun round here...?"

Most certainly not.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I withdraw my comment.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
What is it with "business suit"? A lot of people consider suits to be church wear, not business wear.

If you find an association between church and profit oriented activity to be creepy, I can kind of see your point. But a suit is not that association.

For Jesus to wear a style of clothing mostly associated with Western civilization in the last handful of decades...yeah, that would be odd, because you've got to assume he's got the advantage of divine eternal fashion perspective that the Brooks Brothers lack.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Stylishness is next to godliness?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
divine eternal fashion perspective

I don't think there is such a thing. Fashion is by definition and quite deliberately ephemeral. Even "classics" have a pretty short shelf life.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
divine eternal fashion perspective

I don't think there is such a thing. Fashion is by definition and quite deliberately ephemeral. Even "classics" have a pretty short shelf life.
Well, my point was essentially that from Jesus's perspective, the conventions of contemporary dress, even the conservative religious variety, probably aren't applicable. I didn't mean that he's got the inside view of what's really making waves on the catwalks of the cosmos. I would say that an eternal perspective on fashion renders it irrelevant (I think we agree).

That being said, I think the popular image of Christ and other divine figures wearing long flowing white robes is pretty silly too. So by "divine eternal fashion perspective" I also meant figuring out some ideal form of clothing, and I highly doubt it's what classical painters had in mind. (Except where they figured nudity was it...that might be right.)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fashion is by definition and quite deliberately ephemeral.
If God can make a rock He can't lift, He can certainly pick a timeless fashion. Jesus would show up in a little black dress, natch.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
If God can make a rock He can't lift...

But can he?

Discuss.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

I guess the lesson learned is that Jesus Christ is like Mr. Potatohead, you can dress him how you like.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Or even better, don't judge him (or anyone else for that matter) simply by the clothes he wears.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

Choosing clothes is an action.

On judgement, I believe Jesus says only God can judge.

Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
"Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment." - John 7:24
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor, I still eagerly await your screenplay. Did you send it?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.