FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Religious Freedom in Israel (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Religious Freedom in Israel
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
... While I choose to live in America, the option of living in Israel makes me feel safe.

Ah, this must be some new use of the word "safe" that I'm unfamiliar with.
Under the old one, living in a border-line war zone and being bombarded weekly if not daily, is not quite "safe."

Have you been to Israel? It is not a border-line war zone, even if the media portrays it as such.

If you are a persecuted Jew living in France - you want to join your brethren in Israel where you can, at least, fight for your survival.

If I were living in the U.S. without the existence of an Israeli state, anti-semitism in America would be a whole lot scarier to me.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
"If the entire Muslim world decided to move to the U.S. and exercise voting rights - it'd be a bit of a problem."

It would only be a problem if Muslims didn't follow the laws to become citizens. However, there is nothing in the U.S. laws that would keep them from voting; even if that meant voting the Constitution out of existence.

Which is why, I'm sure, that if that happened, something would be done to stop it.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If I were living in the U.S. without the existence of an Israeli state, anti-semitism in America would be a whole lot scarier to me.
I imagine the percentage of anti-semites in Israel is considerably higher.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
". . . anti-semitism in America would be a whole lot scarier to me."

Are you serious? You are a protected minority. So much breath against Jews in the United States and there is so much vitriol against you that you might as well be branded a child-molester. True, it does depend on where you live; such as the Southern United States. Try living as a Mormon that has no land to go to (Utah and S. Idaho perhaps), no political correctness protection, and are hated by all sides.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Utah is a Mormon state, isn't it?
No, it isn't. It's an American state - it's not a theocracy. There is a Mormon majority in it, but there are no laws that expect the governor or key officials to be Mormon, and there are not laws that make it very difficult for non-Mormons to move there.

quote:
Additionally, Israel has the right of return to make it easier for Jews to be citizens.
Not just easier. From what I read, it is almost impossible to become an Israeli citizen unless you are Jewish or married to someone who is.

Natural groupings of people are fine - expected, normal. It's the institutionalization that creates such discrimination.

If the entire Muslim world decided to move the U.S., they would not be stopped because of their religion. If they were, that'd be very wrong and someone is being corrupt somewhere. Within 50 years, there will no longer be a white majority in the United States. A few states - Texas among them - are already there or are almost there. The USA will do just fine.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Armoth: *shrug* When was the last actual armed conflict? Lebanon? Gaza? How many years do you figure until the next one?

I suggest that living in America should be a whole lot scarier to you. An escape plan that involves fleeing into war zone to escape antisemitism in the form of signs painted on garages is like fleeing the gun crime in Toronto for the safe haven of Detroit.

[ June 12, 2009, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Mucus ]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes, let's please have a battle of the persecution complexes.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Try living as a Mormon that has no land to go to (Utah and S. Idaho perhaps), no political correctness protection, and are hated by all sides.
I have, in the deep south.

It's not that bad.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Utah is a Mormon state, isn't it?

No, it isn't. It's an American state - it's not a theocracy. There is a Mormon majority in it, but there are no laws that expect the governor or key officials to be Mormon, and there are not laws that make it very difficult for non-Mormons to move there.

I imagine-- because Armoth has said s/he doesn't want to discriminate-- that's the sort of thing s/he envisions for Israel.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Oh, yes, let's please have a battle of the persecution complexes.

Here we have an agnostic, who knows a thing or two about persecution complexes...

[Big Grin]

katharina
Member # 827

Is it? Because it seems like Israel is sitting on some ground that is deeply wanted by many people. While Utah is still majority Mormon, it's only stayed that way because non-Mormons aren't clamoring to move there.

Armoth, would you still want non-discrimination if it meant (and it would) that Jews would become a minority in Israel?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
*shrug* When was the last actual armed conflict? Lebanon? Gaza? How many years do you figure until the next one?

I suggest that living in America should be a whole lot scarier to you. An escape plan that involves fleeing into war zone to escape antisemitism in the form of signs painted on garages is like fleeing the gun crime in Toronto for the safe haven of Detroit.

Wow. I'm glad we are having this conversation. Before sitting down to have it, I had a feeling I would be understood immediately upon explaining myself. I realize now that we are coming from really different perspectives.

First - I will point out that I felt your characterization of the garage incident to be a bit insensitive. It was really scary for me. You always grow up feeling like you are an American, like you vote the same way and have the same input as the rest of the nation. That incident made me feel rejected - it made me question that. I answered the question relatively quickly for myself, but it isn't the same once you are forced to ask yourself if you are truly wanted.

My point isn't that I needed an escape plan from graffiti. That's not fair. My point is that I would be paranoid and worried that the U.S. might turn into France and that more serious vandalism, synagogue burnings,and murders are up next. And that even though I am protected by U.S. law, U.S. law is created by the majority opinion of its citizens. And if the majority of citizens in the U.S. decided not to like Jews, then that'd be it for me.

The existence of Israel at least allows me the opportunity to join my fellow Jews in a productive fight for our survival. Yes, there are wars. But we have been minorities amongst Christian or Muslim dominate countries for 2000 years. And we were almost wiped out.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Lisa, please don't accuse other members of murder.

Oh. Gee. I guess I missed the part where I did that. Maybe you should quote it if you think I did.
I quoted it before but since you can't remember what you posted let alone what other's have posted, here it is again.

quote:
Rabbit . . . Yes, it's worthwhile to point out that since you and your coreligionists have made Jew-killing a sport for the past 17 centuries, it's unreasonable for us to be completely at your whim. In all honesty, we have no idea when you're going to revert to that sort of behavior again.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Is it? Because it seems like Israel is sitting on some ground that is deeply wanted by many people. While Utah is still majority Mormon, it's only stayed that way because non-Mormons aren't clamoring to move there.

Armoth, would you still want non-discrimination if it meant (and it would) that Jews would become a minority in Israel?

I don't know why you say it would? As I said, I don't know how to deal with Palestinians. You can't give citizenship to people who view you as the enemy.

Would you be okay with millions of Muslims moving to the U.S., getting naturalized and undoing the bill of rights? I wouldn't be. We, the majority in the country at the time, would do our best to preserve the ideals we believe in. As such, if the people moving here did not believe in the separation of Church and State, in the Bill of Rights, in our constitution - then we would do something to prevent them from coming.

Same thing in Israel. If a majority wanted to move to Israel and did not believe in Israel functioning as a Jewish state, I would have a problem with that.

Scott R
Member # 567

Armoth, what does the term "Jewish state" mean to you?
katharina
Member # 827

When you say Jewish state, you mean legally, right? As in, written into its constitution and guiding its legal system and everything? You don't mean Jewish state the way Utah is a Mormon state.

In that case, you do support discrimination. You would allow non-Jews in if they act like Jews. That's not actually non-discrimination.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In fact there are no laws which distinguish between Mormons and non-Mormons in any way. People are not required to declare whether or not they are Mormon. There are no laws that prohibit or restrict peoples citizenship, voting rights, free speech, military service, or any civil right, privilege or responsibility based on their religious or ethnic affiliation. There is no government aid given to Mormons that is not given to non-Mormons. If there was an attempt to restrict a non-Mormon church from building a school or place of worship through zoning laws or other wise -- it would be struck down by the courts. In the last 50 years I know of no cases where hard core LDS people have protested another church's presence or activities in Utah. I know of no cases where a political entity has requested any religion not to proselyte, worship or freely practice their religion in Utah.

And I say that as a person who thinks that Mormon's have too much politcal power in Utah and that the state would be far more livable if their were more diversity in Utah politics.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
"Would you be okay with millions of Muslims moving to the U.S., getting naturalized and undoing the bill of rights?"

I wouldn't be ok with it, but as the U.S. laws currently stand there isn't much I could do about it. That is especially the case when it comes to the U.S. as a Constitutional and not a Mobocratic Democracy. In fact, it is the very possibility that you bring up that the whole illegal alien battles are all about. So far the only thing that has changed is, well, not much. Then again, I believe that the U.S. Constitution has within it the ability for the citizenship if it so wishes to legally abandon the whole thing.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Jewish State in the sense that if facilitates a Jewish lifestyle. Jewish calendar, Jewish holidays, preservation and protection of Jewish tradition, etc.

I am a fan of public sensitivity to Jewish tradition as well - no bread on Passover sold publicly, no television on the high holy days, and I am anti the gay parade taking place in Jerusalem.

That is certainly discriminatory - it's a Jewish calendar but not a Christian one. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so.

I don't think non-Jews need to act like Jews, they only need respect the Jewish character of the state.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
My religion is less than 200 years old and in that time my co-religionists have never supported the killing of Jews.

Wait, Mormons aren't Christians now?
It depends on how you define Christian. We worship Jesus Christ and consider ourselves part of the religious tradition Jesus established. We also believe that Christian's apostatized from the teaching of Jesus somewhere around the first century AD. We consider all the people who were persecuting Jews, fighting in Crusades, leading Inquisitions, writing creeds, burning heretics, apostates from true Christianity. They are not our co-religionists any more than my Jewish friend who converted to Mormonism is Lisa's co-religionist.
Scott R
Member # 567

Would you have a problem if Blue Laws were reenacted in the US?

If so, could you explain how the enforcement of Sunday as a holy day in America is different from the enforcement of Saturday in Israel?

Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
quote:
In fact there are no laws which distinguish between Mormons and non-Mormons in any way. People are not required to declare whether or not they are Mormon. There are no laws that prohibit or restrict peoples citizenship, voting rights, free speech, military service, or any civil right, privilege or responsibility based on their religious or ethnic affiliation. There is no government aid given to Mormons that is not given to non-Mormons. If there was an attempt to restrict a non-Mormon church from building a school or place of worship through zoning laws or other wise -- it would be struck down by the courts. In the last 50 years I know of no cases where hard core LDS people have protested another church's presence or activities in Utah. I know of no cases where a political entity has requested any religion not to proselyte, worship or freely practice their religion in Utah.

And I say that as a person who thinks that Mormon's have too much politcal power in Utah and that the state would be far more livable if their were more diversity in Utah politics.

I'm glad. That makes me happy - and it is entirely consistent with everything I believe as an American.

But that isn't what I want for the state of Israel.

It seems we are arguing over whether it is okay for there to be a country that governs in a way that is different than the U.S. governs. I think that the U.S. should be governed as it is. I think Israel should be governed in a different way. I also think any Muslim country should be governed as I think Israel should be governed - religious freedom, but with religious preference.

Occasional
Member # 5860

There the question rears its head again. Is Israel a Jewish State or is it a state with lots of Jews? And again, you make the claims that it is both, depending on where you want to argue from. That bothers me because it makes it difficult to know what "Israel" I am supporting.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The more Lisa talks, the more I'm convinced that she is hellbent on making Israel appear as loony, racist, and tyrranical as possible.

DNFTT.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
can you not understand how Jews are skittish even with the U.S., best hosts they have ever had in history?
We're not your "hosts." Most of us, we're your people.
Sorry, Scott. Hosts.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
quote:
The more Lisa talks, the more I'm convinced that she is hellbent on making Israel appear as loony, racist, and tyrranical as possible.

DNFTT.
PBBBT!

Hey, you make your rasberries, and I'll make mine.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
I respect her wish not to make that clear.

Kate, give me a freaking break. That is NOT what I said.

And the way you and Katie and Rabbit are reacting surely does not make me want to get remotely involved with this. To be clear: I do not support the changes Lisa is suggesting. I have made that clear several times in the past, and would hope that I would not have to again. Why on earth should I put in the time and energy to do so when it is clear I will not be given the benfit of the doubt and y'all are invested in seeing these issues in the worst possible light?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
I am starting to understand that the statement "Israel has a right to exist" has the unspoken addendum of "as a discriminatory theocracy."

ok. You're not listening to me.
And now you're starting to understand her.
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
quote:
quote:
can you not understand how Jews are skittish even with the U.S., best hosts they have ever had in history?
We're not your "hosts." Most of us, we're your people.
Sorry, Scott. Hosts.
Nope. People. Get used to it.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
My problem is that Israel doesn't know what it wants to be as a poster said above. No matter what those say who disagree with Lisa, her explanations are closest to the reality of Israel as seen by an outsider. Even one like me who is in support. It infuriates me that Israel so much wants to have its cake and eat it too so far as religious freedom. When it is described as a democracy I have a big question mark above that.

You're exactly right. Jewish State and Democracy can have areas of intersection, but they can't be completely congruent. The question is, which one takes precedent? The last politician in Israel to raise the issue was banned from running for parliament because of it.

For my part, it's clear. Israel is first and foremost a Jewish state. Within that, it's a democracy.

quote:
This does bring up a question that hasn't been answered, or I missed it. Is proselyting illegal in Israel?

Offering monetary or other considerations to try and get someone to convert to another religion is illegal. Unfortunately, even this is rarely enforced.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
It seems we are arguing over whether it is okay for there to be a country that governs in a way that is different than the U.S. governs.
No the argument is much more specific than that. The argument is whether it is OK for a government to make legal distinctions based on peoples religion and ethnicity. And my belief is that this is not OK, that it does and always will lead to oppression of some group.

I think that Jews who have been on the losing end of that kind of laws for centuries would understand that. In fact, in the time I spent in Israel (an here in the US) I have known many Jews who did deeply understand that problem. This is why I had hoped that Israel could be an exception to this rule. I had hoped that Jews had enough empathy for oppressed people that they could avoid oppressing even in a country in which they had the power to oppress non-Jews. My observation and studies over the past 20 years have disillusioned me of that hope.

I think that you and others here are two emotional attached to Israel to see what the country has become and what it is doing.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
... While I choose to live in America, the option of living in Israel makes me feel safe.

Under the old one, living in a border-line war zone and being bombarded weekly if not daily, is not quite "safe."

Everything's relative. I had a friend whose 6 year old daughter used to walk out of the house and down the block to the bus stop and get on a public bus. This isn't a cause for concern in Israel. When Tova was born, I remember we used to go to stores, and because aisles are a lot narrower in Israel than they are here, it was just too much of a pain to bring her in her stroller up and down the aisles. So we parked her in her stroller at the front of the store and went shopping. Again, most Americans probably don't even remember what it's like to be able to do that. When we came back to the US, I was petrified. We thought about getting one of those obnoxious harnesses with a leash for when she started walking around, and when we go to a department store and she's out of our sight for even a minute (and she's 9 now), we freak.

And you guys take this all for granted.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
". . . anti-semitism in America would be a whole lot scarier to me."

Are you serious? You are a protected minority. So much breath against Jews in the United States and there is so much vitriol against you that you might as well be branded a child-molester. True, it does depend on where you live; such as the Southern United States. Try living as a Mormon that has no land to go to (Utah and S. Idaho perhaps), no political correctness protection, and are hated by all sides.

There'll be a backlash. There always is. You should look around the internet. A lot of people blame the financial crisis on Jews, as Jews. Because of people like Madoff, Greenspan, Bernanke...
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
quote:
My religion is less than 200 years old and in that time my co-religionists have never supported the killing of Jews.

Wait, Mormons aren't Christians now?
It depends on how you define Christian. We worship Jesus Christ and consider ourselves part of the religious tradition Jesus established. We also believe that Christian's apostatized from the teaching of Jesus somewhere around the first century AD. We consider all the people who were persecuting Jews, fighting in Crusades, leading Inquisitions, writing creeds, burning heretics, apostates from true Christianity. They are not our co-religionists any more than my Jewish friend who converted to Mormonism is Lisa's co-religionist.
Sorry if that distinction doesn't really mean that much to us.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Thank you Lisa, and the distinction between athiest Jews and Mormon Jews means very little to me.

Either way, neither I nor those who share my religious beliefs have ever been involved in killing Jews for sport. That accusatio was utterly out of line.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only person here baffled by what seems like the intention here by people that A) Democracy is automatically best, B) Multuculturalism is automatically best? not everyone can be like Canada, if Japan wants to stay like a Japanese country and restrict immigration wouldn't they have the right to do so? Whats different with Israel? They're a SOVEREIGN nation and in international politics Sovereignty is the highest form of "Rights" and is that, Sovereignty. There's limits but only so much if they signed the UN Charter of Human Rights.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

And the way you and Katie and Rabbit are reacting surely does not make me want to get remotely involved with this. To be clear: I do not support the changes Lisa is suggesting. I have made that clear several times in the past, and would hope that I would not have to again. Why on earth should I put in the time and energy to do so when it is clear I will not be given the benfit of the doubt and y'all are invested in seeing these issues in the worst possible light?

If you "have no interest in doing that sort of unraveling" which would clarify which parts of Lisa's idea of what God wants Israel to be "[you]disagree strongly with, which [you] sort of agree with but with caveats, which [you] don't even understand where she gets them from, and which [you] actually agree with completely" you are under no obligation to do so. I respect that. That was all I was saying. If you don't want to do that clarification, though, it is not going to be clear. I am not going to assume one way or another.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
We thought about getting one of those obnoxious harnesses with a leash for when she started walking around, and when we go to a department store and she's out of our sight for even a minute (and she's 9 now), we freak.
Why? What about moving to America made you overprotective?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
if Japan wants to stay like a Japanese country and restrict immigration wouldn't they have the right to do so?
Sure, they'd have the legal right. I'd argue that they would not have the moral right, and in so trying would reveal themselves to be a corrupt state.

Ethnic divisions are an evil.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

I'm sorry it the way I am reacting is making you wish to avoid participation. I respect your views and know that you do not support many of the thinks Lisa supports.

As for why you might want to participate, I don't know. If I were Jewish, I would want to participate to make it clear that Lisa does not represent me or my people.

For some time, I was of the opinion that Lisa was actually some sort of anti-semite impersonating an obnoxious spiteful Lesbian Jew in order to provoke anti-semitic feelings. I doubt anyone could keep up the act as long as she has so I am now convinced she is for real. But she certainly does a good job of stirring up anti-Jewish, anti-Israel feeling in people. If I were Jewish, I would be very interested in countering that.

Luckily I do know many other Jews both IRL and here at Hatrack so I know that Lisa is not representative of the majority of Jews. I hope others who interact with her do as well. Thank you for participating rivka, I'm sorry if my tone has turned you away from participation, I am always open to listen to what you have to say.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
if Japan wants to stay like a Japanese country and restrict immigration wouldn't they have the right to do so?
Sure, they'd have the legal right. I'd argue that they would not have the moral right, and in so trying would reveal themselves to be a corrupt state.

Ethnic divisions are an evil.

So your saying Japan is evil and corrupt?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
... It depends on how you define Christian. We worship Jesus Christ and consider ourselves part of the religious tradition Jesus ...

You do realize that in context, Lisa would hardly have used the Mormon definition for Christian.

quote:
First - I will point out that I felt your characterization of the garage incident to be a bit insensitive...

I'm not sure why it would be insensitive. It should be scary. That things in Israel are more scary doesn't contradict that.

quote:
My point isn't that I needed an escape plan from graffiti. That's not fair. My point is that I would be paranoid and worried that the U.S. might turn into France and that more serious ...
This is true. However, I believe that you're assuming that if things get dangerous in the US that somehow things will remain exactly as safe as it is in Israel now. I believe that this is most likely false. The level in danger in Israel should go up *even more* if things get that bad in the States.

quote:
The existence of Israel at least allows me the opportunity to join my fellow Jews in a productive fight for our survival.
Sure. I get that it might make you feel better. But I just don't think that it is productive in terms of actually making you any safer.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Jewish State in the sense that if facilitates a Jewish lifestyle. Jewish calendar, Jewish holidays, preservation and protection of Jewish tradition, etc.

I am a fan of public sensitivity to Jewish tradition as well - no bread on Passover sold publicly, no television on the high holy days, and I am anti the gay parade taking place in Jerusalem.

That is certainly discriminatory - it's a Jewish calendar but not a Christian one. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so.

I don't think non-Jews need to act like Jews, they only need respect the Jewish character of the state.

Actually I wouldn't consider most of that discriminatory. Having Jewish calender and holidays makes sense in any area that has a significant percentage of Jews because it facilitates Jews keeping their traditions.

I would be opposed to laws that prohibited stores from selling bread during Passover or prohibited television and radio from broadcasting during high holy days as such laws would be coercive. In the same sense, I would oppose laws that would prevent restaurants in predominantly catholic countries from serving meat on Friday's during lent and oppose laws that unduly restrict the sale of alcohol in Utah.

I have no problem with businesses that choose to respect a religious traditions and in a country with a large proportion of Jews I would expect there to be many such businesses. But I have a big problem with laws that require businesses and individuals to adhere to a religious tradition, that violates something I consider to be a fundamental human right.

katharina
Member # 827

quote:
The argument is whether it is OK for a government to make legal distinctions based on peoples religion and ethnicity.
Exactly. That kind of discrimination is always wrong, and it seems like Israel justifies its present discrimination from being victims of discrimination in the past. That's a flawed argument.
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
quote:

... Again, most Americans probably don't even remember what it's like to be able to do that. When we came back to the US, I was petrified. ...
And you guys take this all for granted.

I'm not American either [Razz] I often feel petrified in the States as well [Wink]
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My point is that I would be paranoid and worried that the U.S. might turn into France and that more serious vandalism, synagogue burnings,and murders are up next. And that even though I am protected by U.S. law, U.S. law is created by the majority opinion of its citizens. And if the majority of citizens in the U.S. decided not to like Jews, then that'd be it for me.
What you are talking about is an emotion. How far do you think a group of people should be willing to go to escape fear? When is it okay to do harmful things to others to make yourself less afraid?
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
quote:
... It depends on how you define Christian. We worship Jesus Christ and consider ourselves part of the religious tradition Jesus ...
You do realize that in context, Lisa would hardly have used the Mormon definition for Christian.

You do recognize that doesn't make being directly accused of supporting murder for sport or of sharing the beliefs of those who support murder for sport any more palatable?

I do not consider myself affiliated in anyway with any individual or group who has ever supported killing Jews or any other human being for sport. I am offended by the accusation that I am. Would you not also take offense at such an accusation?

Was it that unreasonable for me to clarify that I do not consider myself a part of any religious tradition that has ever justified killing people for sport?

Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
I do not consider myself affiliated in anyway with any individual or group who has ever supported killing Jews or any other human being for sport. I am offended by the accusation that I am. Would you not also take offense at such an accusation?

No. I would apologize and move on. I would not deny it and split hairs that are of no relevance to the person at hand.

For example, as a Canadian we're responsible for killing off most of the native Americans. If I was talking to a native American, I would not quibble and mention that as a Chinese Canadian we wouldn't even have gotten there yet at the time of the killings.

If you want to be Canadian/Christian/whatever, you have to be prepared to accept the whole responsibility and benefits of that. You can't just cherry-pick and say that you're Christian when it is of benefit and then immediately disavow it when it is not.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
We thought about getting one of those obnoxious harnesses with a leash for when she started walking around, and when we go to a department store and she's out of our sight for even a minute (and she's 9 now), we freak.
Why? What about moving to America made you overprotective?
They steal kids here. I don't know if you're aware of that. Dangerous place, America. And believe me, I'm not being tongue-in-cheek.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, the one person I know personally who was kidnapped (and, I presume, killed) was kidnapped in Israel.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.