FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doctor Who Series One Discussion -Spoilers- (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Doctor Who Series One Discussion -Spoilers-
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
FYI: They're calling 11th Doctor's run as "Series One" for whatever reason so thats the name of the thread.

Single. Best. Most Awesome. Episode. Ever, for all time that ever was or ever will happen.

Matt Smith has managed in a single episode encapsulate everything there is to love and find awesome about The Doctor and why we watch the show.

That. Just that.

[ April 04, 2010, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care what they're calling it. Real people are going to call it Series/Season 5.

But yes. It was lovely, and so good to see all the familiar things back with a new gloss on them.
I liked the story as well - not so much the main story as the relationship between Amy and the Doctor - there was something there that seemed right somehow.

But for me it's always his dialogue that makes the Doctor and that was perfect of course. Somewhere between Ford Prefect (from the books, obviously) and Einstein is the place to aim at.
Matt Smith has also noticed the importance of having a distinctive manner of speaking (in his case, a bit over-ly en-un-ci-ated as if he's giving a lecture and needs to be heard at the back of the hall).

Nice.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes wonder how a little British man can appear so badass.

David Tennant pulled it off. And so does Matt Smith.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Its the bowtie.
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I was skeptical for ages after they announced the new kid, but he's really good. As Harriet Jones, Prime Minister, said: Absolutely the same man. [Razz]
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I was skeptical as well but he has me convinced. Only time will tell how he will stack up when compared to the rest, but I'm excited about the new season and the new companion.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it -- very much looking forward to the rest of the season. [Smile]
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the new Companion remind you of Felicia Day? Like, a lot?
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
She reminds me of Rick Castle's daughter, Alexis, only grown up. Has done since I first saw a photo of her.

Although... Karen Gillan, Felicia Day. Nah. But Amy does remind me of someone. I just can't think who...

I still miss Tennant. But this one is good.

Didn't the nurse guy Rory look a little like a young John Simms, though?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

I got a bit sniffly when they played the reel of all the past Doctors and David Tennant was there; though actually what made me saddest was seeing the TARDIS all newly designed.

Overall v. good. I love it that Amy comes from a small town where EVERYONE knows about the raggedy Doctor. My only thing was that I'd just watched "The Girl in the Fireplace", and the little girl scenario was a bit too similar to that for me.

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
There are very few things that make me squeal like a little girl, and a new season of Doctor Who is one of them.

"I am definitely a madman with a box"

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
There are very few things that make me squeal like a little girl, and a new season of Doctor Who is one of them.

Agreed!

And in this case, I've been waiting for almost 2 years. I'm afraid last year's specials didn't do it for me. Just think, for the next several months there will be a new episode of Doctor Who each and every week.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
quote:
[qb] There are very few things that make me squeal like a little girl, and a new season of Doctor Who is one of them.

Agreed!
And I'm a 260-pound man [Smile]
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:

Yeah, but who didn't realize that he was going to say that?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

Yeah, but who didn't realize that he was going to say that?
Its the lead up though that made it awesome.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
BBC calls it series 5:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rs6t7/Doctor_Who_Series_5_The_Eleventh_Hour/

they should make up their minds [Razz]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it, didn't love it. I guessed at several things in the episode which doesn't usually happen for me:
the TARDIS landing sideways
that it had been many years (yes, Madame Pompadour) each time
that the next day was her wedding
that last line about being crazy with a box

Ah well. Still looking forward to new episodes every week. Silly cybermen and daleks again this season.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I did see the lapse in years and the wedding day thing coming, but it didn't make it less compelling to me.
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
I don't care what they're calling it. Real people are going to call it Series/Season 5.

Season 32.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:

Season 32.

31 [Razz]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

Did anyone else notice the Doctor had an image of the crack in Amy's wall on his TARDIS monitor? And then he switched it off casually. Hurrah for continuing plotlines!
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
Did anyone else notice the Doctor had an image of the crack in Amy's wall on his TARDIS monitor? And then he switched it off casually. Hurrah for continuing plotlines!

That's what that was!

Thanks. [Blushing]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Not quite, he tapped the console a few times in thought.
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, just watched it. Yeah. Awesome. It'll take me a few episodes to get used to the new doctor, but I'm looking forward to it. Especially with the spoiler preview at the end.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
So far, I don't care much for the new Doctor Who. How could anyone equal David Tennant in that role? Tennant was also effective as Barty Crouch Jr. in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say it, but I'm with Ron. I don't think any one can replace Tennant for me. Then again - Eccleston was my first Doctor, and when Tennant replaced him I said much the same thing. Tennant won me over pretty quick. But then Eccleston lasted one season and Tennant lasted, what? Three? Four?

I dunno, I'll give the new guy a chance, but I think Tennant will always have a special place in my heart.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Three and a half, by my count. Last season counts as a half, since they did, what, 4 specials, each lasting 50% more than a normal episode, so 6 episodes' worth, half a season.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
I hate to say it, but I'm with Ron. I don't think any one can replace Tennant for me. Then again - Eccleston was my first Doctor, and when Tennant replaced him I said much the same thing. Tennant won me over pretty quick. But then Eccleston lasted one season and Tennant lasted, what? Three? Four?

I dunno, I'll give the new guy a chance, but I think Tennant will always have a special place in my heart.

I'll be honest, it took me at least half a season to get into Tennant. Then again, I was new to the whole thing when I watched it with Eccleston and didn't realize until the season finale (when my husband, who had seen earlier Doctor Who's), told me about the regenerating thing. I was pretty uspet because I liked Eccleston a lot and had really just gotten into him when this other Doctor came into the role and, IMO, was pretty different.

I actually still like Eccleston slightly better than Tennant....just a smidge...they were both very good in the end. Maybe that's why I'm ok with the new guy.

Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the new guy is going to do well in the roll, but I don't think that he'll own the character the way first Tom Baker and then Tennant did.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I had an easier time adjusting to the new Doctor, mostly because of Ten's story. I miss Tennant, but Ten himself was ready to change, despite not wanting to go. When Nine rejenerated, it was an outrage and felt just wrong, but when Ten rejenerated, it was almost a relief - he was so unhappy towards the end there. He never really recovered from losing Rose.

I'm happy for the Doctor, now that he's Eleven. A fresh start.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I agree, katharina. The story really did make it time for him to go. Which doesn't mean I didn't enjoy him while he was there.
Fyfe
Member # 937

Apparently Steven Moffat has answered some questions before they are asked, in Doctor Who magazine:

quote:
1) Because it's a time machine, dummy.
2) Because the structural damage alluded to in the opening scenes has caused a certain amount of leakage. Yes, leakage. Shut up, it's all planned, you wait til episode 12.
3) Ah! Ah! But where in the episode does it say it's the second time? No, see, it doesn't. So nyer. In fact, the use of the word "keep" in scene 23 would suggest that it isn't the second time. Yeah not so smart now are you? Ha!

He's such a tease.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah kat, I agree. On sake, plaid said:

quote:
Watching Eleven and young Amelia talk about her aunt, and Eleven saying how glad he is not to have an aunt... that made me realize, yeah, he's definitely not Ten. Ten would've looked sad and said, "I had an aunt once"; Eleven's not weighed down by the loss, and didn't mind glossing over that loss for Amelia's sake.
I liked that comment quite a bit. Ten was really weighted down with loss past the point where he was capable of recovering from it. As you said, despite the fact that he didn't want to regenerate, it had become necessary for the character to do so.

Actually, has there ever been a doctor other than 10 whose story drew to a close like that, where it felt like the character needed to regenerate? I can't think of one, but I don't know that much about some of the incarnations.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Justin says the 5th doctor (Peter Davidson) was like that, where in the last season of his three he got defeatist and sullen.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

The Fifth Doctor was kind of tragic, particularly towards the end. But he had good reason for it. So did the Tenth, for that matter.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a lot of the early and mid-run Peter Davidson episodes, but my PBS station never showed the end of his arc.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

The last ep I saw before the 9th Doctor was the one where the Fifth Doctor regenerated.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:

That's what that was!

Thanks. [Blushing]

If you do it frame by frame you seem some neat pictures.
Raventhief
Member # 9002

I was wondering what all that was. Time for frame by frame.
Kama
Member # 3022

I really liked the second episode, but my boyfriend wasn't so keen on it.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Yes it was good. A bit predictable, though.

And SPOILER!
Reminded me of the Ood with that tortured brain.
What are they going to feed the whale on now? Are they going to have to ask for volunteers?
How could the whale hear the screaming children on Earth when there's no air in space?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

SPOILER

telepathy? [Wink]

I bet it can eat fruit [Razz]

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I thought it was pretty bad (or, just not any good). Too fast-paced and random. Too unbelievable (what, the Doctor knew all about the solar flares, but not the space whale?)

Interesting though that other folks liked it, usually my take on what a good DW story is tends to gibe with other folks'. (Except Father's Day. Hated that one, where lots of others loved it.)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Well, I enjoyed the episode while I was watching it. But now I've had time to process it -
More SPOILERS...

If they had been riding the whale for at least three hundred years, and at no point did the whale ever eat a child - why on earth were they still trying to feed it kids every day?
You'd think they would have realised by now.

You'd also think that people would have noticed that the punished kids kept coming back from the dungeon
(unless they just stuck them in cages until they turned 16, voted and became edible). So why was the girl so upset about the little boy?

Amy's Scottish, the Scots have their own ship which is somewhere else far away in space, she's over a thousand years old and the computer doesn't ring any warning bells?
In a police state?

If you go into a room to vote, watch the video and then forget having watched it, or pressing the forget button, how does anyone know that they really voted at all?

Britain is really so hopeless that every other country in the world, even random places like Belgium and Fiji had their own spaceships - with proper engines - to escape on, but Britain decided to die in screaming agony instead (until the whale turned up). Not sure they deserve to survive, really. And they could build a massive space-station city, but not any kind of motor?

Why does the ship need to keep travelling? Are they going to find another planet? Why doesn't the Doctor just lasso them to the TARDIS and take them somewhere nice? We saw him do this with the entire Earth one time.

Nobody old ever mentioned to Liz (who seemed to know people on the street well) that she had been around when they were kids?

And if you have a mask which is an exact copy of your face (and wear your hair in your usual style), it's not much of a disguise, is it?

How does Amy know that the Doctor is very, very old? Did he tell her at some point? I can't remember. Because he has a time-ship, so his not ageing in her timeline isn't surprising.
I know I'm over-thinking it, but I guess not much about this episode made any sense at all.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Firstly its not for sure that the Spaceship UK has been dystopian for all 300 years.

The punished kids it would appear are kept in the Tower of London where they are probably raised to become members of the Secret Police.

Amy is still on record as a British citizen she also doesn't LIVE in Scotland she lives in a rural English town and moved there when her parents kicked the bucket.

And no warning bells because who the hell would actually set up a contingency "hrrm what if we get any time travelers in the voting booth?"

Nextly, its obvious that everyone records a video of themselve voting so they know that they did vote.

Strange but there might be a reason why UK didn't have the ability or couldn't in the time given build a sufficient engine in time, for example China, US the EU, Russia, Brazil, India are concievably wealthy enough in the future to build their own spaceships and be large enough to carry their neighbours as well.

UK probably just lucked out.

The Tardis required 6 people to fly to move a planet and maybe it only works on celestial objects the actual size of planets? Also they need to not only find an Earth like planet but one not already claimed by space monsters or other aliens and not within the sphere of influence of anyone else.

Perception filter?

"How does Amy know that the Doctor is very, very old? Did he tell her at some point? I can't remember. Because he has a time-ship, so his not ageing in her timeline isn't surprising. "

His eyes. She can tell by starring into his eyes confirmed by comparing him to the space whale.

Kama
Member # 3022

the mask is shaped like her on the inside, not outside.

the whole outfit is probably not much of a disguise, though.

quote:
His eyes. She can tell by starring into his eyes confirmed by comparing him to the space whale.
haha. I like that.
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

I don't see much use in picking apart the logistical inconsistencies in Doctor Who. It's a fun kid's show that usually tries to convey a thought-provoking message. You could spend a lifetime picking it apart (or defending it) if you wanted. I like the silly, campy stuff (that doesn't always make sense).
Fyfe
Member # 937

I'm shocked the Doctor was going to do that thing to the beast below. SHOCKED. The starship wasn't all of humanity, it was just all of Britain. I mean it'd be a shame if Britain was over with, but it wouldn't be the end of humankind.
Christine
Member # 8594

Just got around to watching last night and I basically agree with everything Bella said. My husband liked the episode, but it didn't work for me on a lot of levels. Not that Doctor Who is known for plausibility, but even for Doctor Who, this left a lot of gaping holes.

Honestly, I came away from it rethinking my optimism about the new series, but I figure that's probably a bit too harsh.

Jenos
Member # 12168

- posted      Profile for Jenos           Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who has never seen anything of Doctor Who, what do I have to do to get started on this massive series?
Posts: 76 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.