FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doctor Who Series One Discussion -Spoilers- (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Doctor Who Series One Discussion -Spoilers-
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And your being kinda harsh on Amy.

I don't think she is being harsh. I will admit that Amy is both a cute and important character, but I don't find her all that likable. I think it is because of how she treats Rory. If there was no Rory Amy would be MUCH more likable, but because she takes him for granted and basically demeans him I am finding it difficult to relate with her.

Amy is good with the Doctor. My favorite companion in story, character, and acting is Donna (if we can't count Wilford). Martha is a very close second for "best character" out of the companions--intelligent, educated, and not always patting herself on the back for being clever and strong enough to not listen to the Doctor's instructions.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
sadface. No more doctor till Christmas.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Anime has warped my perception of how relationships work but I see this as one of two ways her having two husbands in a OT3 relationship or that the Doctor is just that good of a friend with her and Rory that he doesn't mind (on the inside) because he knows that while Amy loves her raggedy Doctor she is in love with Him [Rory].

Looking at it from either of these ways seems fine to me.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
Lisa - Amy's mum says 'Oh, no, not this again.' followed by 'The psychiatrists we sent her to.'

Ah. That fits. Thanks.

I'm nominating "I remember you, Raggety Man, and you are late for my wedding!" as the best line of the season.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked "We're all stories just in the end"
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
In the end I have come to believe that Amy likes Rory more than she lets on. I loved it in the dream episode where she pretends she's having the baby to get revenge on the Doctor for making fun of her life with Rory. I don't mind her being bossy, but in next year's series, I would like it to be counterbalanced by her doing nice, thoughtful things for Rory now and then. Also I would like to see Rory doing some clever, useful things.

I'm so lame but it definitely gives me chills when Amy says the "something old, something new" line and the TARDIS shows up. The lovely TARDIS!

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Rory does alot more useful things then we give credit for.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get all this "Amy treats Rory like crap" stuff. What, just because she's not all over him all the time and teases him a lot? She does not demean him, not anymore than I demean my fiance [Razz] [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I agree.
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
Also I would like to see Rory doing some clever, useful things.

He only became an Auton and guarded the Pandorica for 2000 years. Not remotely useful or clever. [Smile]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been wowed by Amy, either, probably because of how she's treated Rory, who i actually like. I have mixed feelings about the two of them continuing as companions together. It surprised me, both because it's the first companion carry-over since season one and because somehow I thought them getting married would be a bit more of a final moment. But after I thought about it, I decided I kind of liked the idea that he's got a married couple tagging alongside for a while. It will change the doctor/companion dynamic significantly and leave room to develop whatever is going on with River.

I'm expecting to see a lot of River next year and so far, I like her. But I've always liked that actress, so that helps.

The actual mechanics of the finale were kind of painful, IMO, but I forgave it because I like where we ended up in terms of character development.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to say I like Rory and Amy together, and while it doesn't always seem like she's being fair or "nice" to him, it also seems like he knows she's softer than she likes to let on. I think in particular of when she harshly says, "Oh, shut up!" and then he hugs her while she cries. You have to remember that, as the Doctor says, she's been alone for a long time and lost a lot of people due to the crack. Rory is probably one of the lone people who has chosen to look past her tough exterior.

[ June 28, 2010, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Traceria ]

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

You know what... I don't have a problem with Amy. For two reasons. One is that the flippant and outrageous Amy is who Rory fell in love with in the first place. She teases, and he's cool with that.

The other thing... I haven't read Television Without Pity since they got bought by Bravo, or whoever. But I was looking at their review of The Eleventh Hour (language advisory, btw), and the reviewer pointed out that the Doctor really messed Amy up big time. The crack took away her parents, and then the Doctor promised he'd be back in 5 minutes, and when she told him very clearly that people don't come back, he swore up and down that he wasn't like people, and that he'd be back in 5 minutes.

Go and rewatch that ep and see how furious she was when she realized it was him. The reviewer makes the point that her "career" as a kissogram makes sense, because she basically does what she thinks everyone does. Gets a little close, and then she's gone. How she ever got engaged to Rory is a bit of a mystery, really, and I think it has more to do with Rory's absolute determination. The same determination that let him wait for 2000 years for her.

I can't find it in my heart to complain about the way Amy treats him, because I don't think she does it to be mean, and I do think it's part and parcel of the great relationship they have.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

Hm, obviously I didn't phrase my post properly. [Razz] I was pleased in the finale episodes to see a little more of the dynamic of Amy and Rory's relationship (her snapping Shut up at him, and him hugging her), and also pleased to see Rory doing something good. That was sweet. In the next season, I'd like to see more small character moments that indicate that Amy likes Rory, and also (especially this) I'd like to see Rory doing some clever useful things that don't necessarily revolve around Amy.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
quote:
While the Doctor never existed, didn't that put them back into 'Turn Left' territory, but worse (in that universe, the whole world fell apart because he was gone for 2 years, not 2,000).
How did Amy, Rory and their village survive?

The Cracks in the Universe only erase the MEMORY of something not what that something physically did, thus everything the Doctor did up to that point is preserved.
I don't think that that's the case. Weren't we told repeatedly that the people consumed by it had had their entire existences erased? That they'd simply never been?

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
Also I would like to see Rory doing some clever, useful things.

He only became an Auton and guarded the Pandorica for 2000 years. Not remotely useful or clever. [Smile]
I thought that the Pandorica was this perfect prison that nothing could get into or out of, and that perfectly preserved whatever being was inside it. Given that, what does it need a guard for?
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
How much of this season actually happened? (Fictionally speaking, obviously).

If Amy, Rory and the Doctor never actually travelled together in the reality that they are currently in (hence Rory being alive and a real boy), does that mean that the Space Whale is still a slave?

Although, on a happy note, the Vampires would never have gone to Venice because they were made homeless by the crack, which now never existed, so the girls and that one girl's dad would be reset back to life.

Right?

What about the Angels?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
I thought that the Pandorica was this perfect prison that nothing could get into or out of, and that perfectly preserved whatever being was inside it. Given that, what does it need a guard for?

Out of. But not into.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the point of a prison your friends can easily rescue you from?

With the amount of folks running about who adore the Doctor, it would be about five minutes before Jack, Sarah-Jane and River busted him out of there.

The barbed wire should work both ways.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think that that's the case. Weren't we told repeatedly that the people consumed by it had had their entire existences erased? That they'd simply never been?
I don't think that's quite right. If Amy's parents had "never been" then she'd never be born. Instead it's something about how their existence is forgotten and overt evidence about them is lost (possibly like the TARDIS chameleon circuit). Like, Amy acknowledges that she had parents, but totally glosses over anything about them. It doesn't even concern her that she doesn't know anything about them, consciously.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think canon-wise probably everything that happened, still happened. Even though the crack was repaired, Amy still had to think hard about her parents in order to bring them back. They wouldn't have come back otherwise. That means anything that was lost through the crack remained lost unless someone knew enough to remember them (seems unlikely).

Timey wimey.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:

If Amy, Rory and the Doctor never actually travelled together in the reality that they are currently in (hence Rory being alive and a real boy), does that mean that the Space Whale is still a slave?

Although, on a happy note, the Vampires would never have gone to Venice because they were made homeless by the crack, which now never existed, so the girls and that one girl's dad would be reset back to life.

Right?

What about the Angels?

The crack erases the MEMORY of things and not nessasarily the physical existance of what it erases, for example they erased Amy's parents but she herself is still around! Otherwise there would be a grandfather paradox.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dabbler:
quote:
I don't think that's quite right. If Amy's parents had "never been" then she'd never be born. Instead it's something about how their existence is forgotten and overt evidence about them is lost (possibly like the TARDIS chameleon circuit). Like, Amy acknowledges that she had parents, but totally glosses over anything about them. It doesn't even concern her that she doesn't know anything about them, consciously.
Ah, good point.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If they don't, why does River remember it all? (She must do, she was at the wedding).

Mr. Muppet says: "spoilers."
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
you know, if Rory ever teased Amy back, I don't think people would complain about how she treats him.

I don't know, I think it just annoys me people think that about Amy, because that's how I've been acting with my friends and boyfriends, and really, I think people are way off thinking she's being mean.

but then, I've rejected boys on account of their being "too nice". [Razz]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

Yes! If he teased her back, I wouldn't mind. But right now I feel like the teasing's a one-way street. I'd like to see them joking around with each other more.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.