FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doctor Who Series One Discussion -Spoilers- (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Doctor Who Series One Discussion -Spoilers-
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Brrr, that most recent episode was a bit good. That scene with Amy watching the video of the angel was very, very good. Still do not care for River Song - I don't hate her when she's interacting with Amy, but I find her bossiness with the Doctor annoying. I can't wait for next week!
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Makes me want to go back and watch Blink again. Tennant was so good.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
I have not seen a single episode this year, but from these descriptions I have one idea...

Amy is about to marry the Doctor.

She runs off with the earlier Doctor because she knows that he'll need her to become the Doctor who marries her.

Sure, he's a later version of the same doctor, but, well Time is this wambly pambly wringy stringy thing that...

End of this companions run--Amy will refuse to go through with this marriage, leaving the heart broken doctor even more depressed.

She will, secretly, have his child--though possibly with no sex having officially occurred between them.

No she's obviously going to marry her boyfriend from the first episode.

[ April 26, 2010, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, can you edit that? Please don't spoil episodes that haven't aired yet...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
That plus the response still constitute an obvious spoiler...
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
The most recent episode was excellent (what a relief!) Completely terrifying. Perfect.
I loved the Doctor's irritation with River's know-it-all smugness, and I could see why he likes Amy - she was brave and resourceful and reminded me much more of her younger self.
I quite like River as a character, despite her attitude, but I'll be pleased if it turns out that she used to be (or still is) a bit evil.

Just million times better than the last two weeks.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed absolutely, Bella.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Yeah. I was kinda worried how I'd loved everything Moffat had written... and then The Beast Below was pretty bad. This one, though, was back to being his usual level of awesome.

I wonder what River's deal is? Wondering if maybe she's a bounty hunter or somesuch.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Awesome episode, surprised at how much information they're giving us about the end of the universe catastrophe.

And HA! I laugh at your Unresolved Sexual Tension!

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... so she's going to wind up killing him. And he knows it, too. Which is why he's glad that time can be changed. I wonder why she's going to do it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Not necessarily. Doesn't have to be the Doctor. Other possibilities could be Captain Jack, or a (reformed) Master, or somesuch.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Afterall killing the Doctor wouldnt have the side effect of being a criminal act probably and those people didn't seem to recognize them.
Lisa
Member # 8384

No way. The way the soldier guy was so careful not to say who it was and the way she said it was the best man she's ever known made it pretty clear. And the way he was so angry with her after finding out and the way he was so happy that time can be changed... it's definitely him.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

You've been wrong before, the Doctor seems clearly convinced that the destruction of the Universe is because of Amy Pond fancying him (since the date of the explosion matches the date of her wedding).

In fact I would say it is certainly not him is probably the one thing we can be certain of, but what we can say is that its very likely someone very important to the Doctor.

I can bet good money its not the Doctor. Not the way she hangs around him, she doesn't act like someone who killed him in her past and his future.

plaid
Member # 2393

I love this quote about the first episode.

quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
Apparently Steven Moffat has answered some questions before they are asked, in Doctor Who magazine:

quote:
1) Because it's a time machine, dummy.
2) Because the structural damage alluded to in the opening scenes has caused a certain amount of leakage. Yes, leakage. Shut up, it's all planned, you wait til episode 12.
3) Ah! Ah! But where in the episode does it say it's the second time? No, see, it doesn't. So nyer. In fact, the use of the word "keep" in scene 23 would suggest that it isn't the second time. Yeah not so smart now are you? Ha!

He's such a tease.
It's a lot of fun speculating, but ultimately I bet that Moffat's gonna do complicated stuff that we won't be able to predict.

(And I think that he's gonna keep the River Song stuff complicated, and that it'll be a big long arc for all of Eleven's run, and, heck, maybe she WILL end up being involved in Eleven's eventual death, even if she's not the one to actually kill him.)

Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Good episode...not so much in the details but definitely in the way the arc is shaping up. And when Amy jumped on him at the end...wow.

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
No way. The way the soldier guy was so careful not to say who it was and the way she said it was the best man she's ever known made it pretty clear. And the way he was so angry with her after finding out and the way he was so happy that time can be changed... it's definitely him.

I agree, Lisa. I think it's clear that she killed him, and not just because of how the soldier was careful not to tell him. It was also clear at the end when he asked her if she'd killed a good man and she said, "The best."

Plus, he already pointed out that time can be changed.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

I noticed the second time around that when the Doctor comes back to talk to Amy in the forest, he's wearing his jacket again. The internets have spotted that the jacket he's got on isn't the one the angels stole, but a different one, the jacket he's wearing in the throw-forward to next week. It's future Doctor from the future coming back to give Amy a cryptic message! (Maybe.)
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which is why he's glad that time can be changed.

I don't know that that's why. The area that he was in when he said that bit about it being possible to rewrite time looked pretty reminiscent of Dårlig Ulv Stranden to me.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

She could always have killed him at his request. I can imagine a million scenarios in which this request might be made.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:
Which is why he's glad that time can be changed.

I don't know that that's why. The area that he was in when he said that bit about it being possible to rewrite time looked pretty reminiscent of Dårlig Ulv Stranden to me.
I don't know. It seemed more Froval Bice Marba to me.
Jake
Member # 206

It's where he and Rose parted ways.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Ah.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I KNEW IT! I CALLED IT! I said that they really should bring in a mid 20's male to represent the average person and here he is!

YES! Enough of these female only campanions, immortal male supermodels and people who suck and are left behind because they can't handle it.

Fyfe
Member # 937

Uh yeah. Enough of that. Television really suffers from a dearth of young white males.
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Next week looks SWEET. I love mindtrip stories. If you die in a dream, you wake up in reality.

Wouldn't it be nice if dying in reality just made you wake up in the dreamworld?

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I think certain groups of people have a concept for that yes.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I KNEW IT! I CALLED IT! I said that they really should bring in a mid 20's male to represent the average person and here he is!

Women aren't "average people"? [Razz]
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

They can be but we already had female campanions up the wazoo, it was awfully skewed and I felt that the dynamic has played itself out, Rose as love interest, Donna has Mother/Older Sister, Amy now has Younger Sister/Niece.

We now need a normal average dude so that we the audience can better relate, someone who is sorta the straight man/the only sane man but isn't either a thief or batman.

Itsame
Member # 9712

I thought of Amy as a coquette, honestly, but maybe that's because I find her attractive. And the kissing/trying to have sex with him thing.

Concerning needing the average man, I do not think we need one, and if we do, he is not it. The average man would not have instantly thought that the Tardis was extradimensional, nor is he in his early/mid 20s for that matter. You don't want an average person, you want someone who more closely resembles you. If we really want the average guy, we should pick a 38 year old schlub.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

nowadays the average guy IS me, John Hodgeman says so.

No its definately younger sister/niece thing, that is why the show makes her trying to jump him as seeming as either very wrong or very funny you see it in anime all the time.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We now need a normal average dude so that we the audience can better relate, someone who is sorta the straight man/the only sane man but isn't either a thief or batman.
Your comments reek of sexism. The "average person" (presuming such a thing exists at all) , would have to be female. There are more women in the world than men.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Your comments reek of sexism. The "average person" (presuming such a thing exists at all) , would have to be female. There are more women in the world than men.
Actually, the average person would have to be a hermaphrodite since while there are a few more women in the world than men, we're not that far off of an even split.

I'm glad we've got this companion for the moment, but not because he's a guy. We've had male companions come and go before (Rose's boyfriend was in a few episodes, as was Captain Jack). In this case, though, I don't get the impression that this guy is particularly average. I hope we get more of his personality as time goes on because in this episode he was largely justifiably jealous, but he did demonstrate moments of intelligence and intuition. The dimensional comment mentioned above was one, and another was his comment that the Doctor puts others in danger because he inspires them to want to impress him. I think (hope) that this guy will turn out to be impressive in his own way.

I don't think he'll turn out to be particularly average, even for a 20-something male. Maybe in looks, but not in ways that matter.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The "average person" (presuming such a thing exists at all) , would have to be female. There are more women in the world than men.
yes, but the new series had 4 female companions and no steady male ones. I don't think Blayne is sexist wanting to even things out a bit.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yeah seriously Rabbit, had the show been all female it wouldn't have mattered (ala Lucky*Star) but with the main protagonist being male and an authority figure having all the companions being female or TheChick or if neither superhuman in some way (like c'mon how the heck is Harkness relatable?) got awkward as it persisted.

Not that it affected my enjoyment of the show but looking back it was odd and I am glad for it that we now have someone closer to earth.

I'm looking at this the same way as Stargate Universe with Eli, he's the everydude, Rorry fills the same niche.

plaid
Member # 2393

I'm a guy, and I had no trouble identifying with Donna.

I would like to see them have male companions, but mostly just to avoid them overdoing the romantic angle to death.

Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
I'm a guy, and I had no trouble identifying with Donna.

I would like to see them have male companions, but mostly just to avoid them overdoing the romantic angle to death.

The quasi sexual tension between the doctor and his companion is a large part of the reason I like the show.

Which isn't to say I would stop watching if there was a male companion, but I'm not sure how the relationship between the Doctor and said companion would work.

Plus, the Doctor is already male.

Itsame
Member # 9712

It would work like so.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kama:
quote:
The "average person" (presuming such a thing exists at all) , would have to be female. There are more women in the world than men.
yes, but the new series had 4 female companions and no steady male ones. I don't think Blayne is sexist wanting to even things out a bit.
I didn't think it was sexist for Blayne to want to see a male companion. I thought it was sexist of him to say the average person would be able to relate to a male companion better than a female companion.

As for balance, the doctor is male. When he has a female companion there is gender balance. If he had only a male companion, there would be no continuing central female character in the show.

The other problem I have with a male companion is that I'm not sure how they would make the relationship between the doctor and his male companion interesting. I'm sure a good writer could find a solution to that but it's not easy.

How many interesting fictional male/male relationships can you think of? Would any of them work well for a long term doctor/companion relationship?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Cap'n Jack and Ianto.
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
The brothers on supernatural (probably wouldn't work for doctor). Samwise and Frodo good male/male relationship. The Odd Couple was popular (before my time). Two and a half men does good ratings wise (not one of my shows) and lots of cop movies (Turner and Hooch comes to mind from the 80s but I thought that was a very typical movie with all the stereotypes at the time).
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ughh. . . . the Doctor shouldn't HAVE sexual tension. He's over 900 years old, for heaven sakes.

Imagine "quasi sexual tension" with William Hartnell or Sylvester McCoy.

That's what I like about Smith. We thought that he'd be the youngest, hippest Doctor ever. It turns out that he's the biggest dork since the reboot.

Good on you, Mr. Moffat. That's how I like my Doctors . . . old, dorky, eccentric, and sexless.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The other problem I have with a male companion is that I'm not sure how they would make the relationship between the doctor and his male companion interesting.
I think some of the best character interaction on the show was between Wilford Mott and The Doctor. I would have loved to see him as a companion to Tennant. I don't know if he would work as well with Smith--haven't had a chance to see their chemistry, nor can I imagine it.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:
quote:
The other problem I have with a male companion is that I'm not sure how they would make the relationship between the doctor and his male companion interesting.
I think some of the best character interaction on the show was between Wilford Mott and The Doctor. I would have loved to see him as a companion to Tennant.
They were amazing. Gut-wrenching and endearing and simply incredible chemistry.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

But I don't know if it could have been sustained.
Jake
Member # 206

It wouldn't have continued exactly like that, but an interesting and sustainable relationship between the two could definitely have developed.

I was kind of let down by Vampires of Venice. If it had come before the two Weeping Angels episodes I'd probably have liked it better, but coming after episodes of that high of quality threw VoV's failings into stark relief. There were bits of dialogue that I loved, and I'm happy with the new companion, but the episode itself just felt like a retread.

I would have been much more excited by a situation in which The Doctor, despite his dislike of her earlier methods, worked with Rosanna to find a solution to the problem that didn't involve either the extinction of their species or the destruction of Venice. Instead it was just the usual "aliens disguised as humans pursuing their own nefarious ends, only to be thwarted by The Doctor"

Next week's episode looks like it could be all sorts of fun, though.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
I would have been much more excited by a situation in which The Doctor, despite his dislike of her earlier methods, worked with Rosanna to find a solution to the problem that didn't involve either the extinction of their species or the destruction of Venice. Instead it was just the usual "aliens disguised as humans pursuing their own nefarious ends, only to be thwarted by The Doctor"

He gave everyone chances. Nine gave the Slitheen a chance, even though they wanted to destroy the entire world, and not just Venice. Ten gave the freaking Daleks a chance when they were trying to destroy everyone in the universe. Eleven doesn't even agonize for a moment over the alien fish bugs.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Actually he did, he tried to keep her from jumping off the dock.
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

Do you think they'll ever show the swimming pool in the new Tardis?
Lisa
Member # 8384

Best episode so far this season. I feel so bad for him, though. "I know who you are. Of course I know who you are. I don't understand how you can be here, but there's only one person in the universe who hates me as much as you do" I didn't get it at the time, but in retrospect that was just incredibly sad. And it explains a lot of his less attractive behavior. Maybe it has something to do with all the self-pity Ten was wallowing in at the end?
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.