FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doctor Who Series One Discussion -Spoilers- (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Doctor Who Series One Discussion -Spoilers-
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping it was the Toymaker [Frown]

Is it still canon that the Doctor still has the Time Lord Matrix in his mind?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
New Doctor Who song. Sort of meh-inspiring, but I thought it might be something someone would be interested in here.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

The Bakemonogatari anime has a very Doctor Who-ish powerup theme song.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
That was really good. I like Amy a lot more now that she stood up for Rory (who is so sweet - he reminds me of Rhys from Torchwood, and Amy reminds me a little bit of Gwen).

But now that we've already seen them married, I have a really bad feeling about those two crazy kids.
Interesting that Rory wants to be a doctor - I wonder if his ambition was formed by Amy wanting him to dress up as the Doctor.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
So what's with the new round label on the TARDIS' door?
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

It's not new. It's an old St. John's Ambulance sticker. They're random volunteers who sometimes save lives. It went away for a bit, then came back.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
That was really good. I like Amy a lot more now that she stood up for Rory (who is so sweet - he reminds me of Rhys from Torchwood, and Amy reminds me a little bit of Gwen).

Yes! I mean, Gwen is Welsh and Amy is Scottish, but they do have similar personalities in some ways (Amy's a little more bubbly).
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dream Lord is The Valeyard.

Discuss. [Smile]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
I told my wife that I thought he was the Valeyard half-way through the episode. The whole "he is me" revelation only solidified my opinion.

The Valeyard has to exist in the future. Of course the time war hasn't effected him (or at least some version of him), as he's a future persona of the Doctor.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Okay, this show is way, way scarier than it has been. And I'm watching it in a room without a couch.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the show, but am I the only one that picked up a slight Israel and Palestine theme running through the show? Who was here first and who has a right to the land...

I wrote the 5th season off and then it comes on strong.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
On a side subject: Twice in the past two weeks I had to visit large Catholic cemeteries full of large angel statues.

I should have been paying attention to the services, but I swore that one moved.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by lem:
I loved the show, but am I the only one that picked up a slight Israel and Palestine theme running through the show? Who was here first and who has a right to the land...

I thought of that as well. But then I saw that the same theme was present when the Silurians were first introduced as well.
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Amy is my new Dana Scully. It's been a while since I've had such a redhead crush.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Okay, this show is way, way scarier than it has been. And I'm watching it in a room without a couch.

You aren't safe behind the couch anymore either anymore, remember the Shadows eat you now.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking about River Song: if the next time the Doctor sees her is when the Pandorica opens... and if that's going back into River's past... then maybe we'll see what all that business about her having killed someone is all about.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
ROOOOORRRRRYYYYYYY
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he's surely going to come back to life later. Right? Right?

I think it is more and more interesting how Doctor-from-the-future placed so much emphasis on Amy remembering things, when he talked to her in "Flesh and Stone".

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

"Doctor-from-the-future"? Huh?

He getting his jacket back was a production error not a hidden checkhovs gun.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Fyfe.

Specifically, since he's asking her to remember what he said when she was 7, he's basically asking her to remember him. Which makes sense given wha he's found in the crack.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightpaths
Member # 1385

- posted      Profile for lightpaths   Email lightpaths         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems a lot of people are new to Doctor Who here, but I guess Doctor Who is a British show.

I think Rory will come back when the crack in the universe is repaired.

I didn't see the crack in the Van Gough episode at all, anyone else notice it?

Posts: 134 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

I was too busy balling my eyes out when they took Van Gogh to the future. Best episode of the season.
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
I was too busy balling my eyes out when they took Van Gogh to the future. Best episode of the season.

Me, too.

(Well, "bawling," but a typo's just a typo. *grin)

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

...heh...I guess "balling one's eyes out" would evoke an image of someone using a very blunt object in a very painful way. [Smile]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. That wasn't actually the mental image I got, but YMMV.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

Do enlighten us [Wink]
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CT:
quote:

Me, too.

(Well, "bawling," but a typo's just a typo. *grin)

Me too! Definitely made it onto my "favourite eps" list.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Not one of my favorite episodes, but I still got teary when they took Van Gogh to the future. I cried several tears.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

When the "little girl" was asking for help, the voice sounded so much like Jamie in "The Empty Child" that I half expected it to say, "Are you my mommy?"

Did you notice the Van Gogh self portrait on the fridge?

Javert
Member # 3076

LOVED. THIS. EPISODE.

Granted, I'm biased, as I'm a fat man looking for love, but still. Absolutely brilliant.

And the headbutt-file sharing was hilarious.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

I had a great chuckle when the Doctor held up the Phillips-head and asked "Where's the on-switch for this?"

One issue with this episode: What's keeping me from attaining my dreams? Money, and a whole slew of biological and mental obstacles that keep me afraid of risking comfort for attaining something better. If I had an infinite supply of resources, I'm sure I'd be an adventurer just like the doctor--but I have to work for a living, so until the benefits outweigh the risks, my dreams have to wait.

Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
One issue with this episode: What's keeping me from attaining my dreams? Money, and a whole slew of biological and mental obstacles that keep me afraid of risking comfort for attaining something better. If I had an infinite supply of resources, I'm sure I'd be an adventurer just like the doctor--but I have to work for a living, so until the benefits outweigh the risks, my dreams have to wait.

Remember, The Doctor is incredibly brilliant, but he doesn't know everything. And he's not an expert on anything that most normal people have to deal with. (Except, apparently, soccer.)

The Doctor is a man who stole a ship from his people and has been running (for various reasons) ever since. The advice he gives is certainly heartfelt and well meaning, but that doesn't make it good advice.

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

This episode really brought back the funny, I've been missing it recently. Loved it.

Bonus points for 1) Finally using the Sonic Toothbrush (who looks at a toothbrush and thinks 'this could be more sonic?')
and 2) For The Doctor saying 'Please state the nature of the emergency.' To a hologram.

Two things I've been waiting for forever.

I would have taken points off for dissing Madrid, but I think he was being sarcastic.

Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it, but it seemed like quite a departure from the series so far, especially in tone. I enjoyed the funny, but on the other hand, The Doctor seemed less human that he ever has before. And while he's always been mad, he's never been quite so out of touch before. I mean, the inappropriate cheek kissing? When has he ever done something like that? And the head butt thing at the end had me caught between a laugh and a cringe.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

quote:
on the other hand, The Doctor seemed less human that he ever has before. And while he's always been mad, he's never been quite so out of touch before.
I'm inclined to think the worst of the characterisation on the series recently, but I think it could be argued that they're trying to depict the Doctor's current state as a reaction to what happened to him in his previous life.

Ten was weird and other, but also so human in his feelings and reactions to those he loved that it tore him up, brought him to the edge of a nervous breakdown and then caused his death.

This time around, perhaps they're having the Doctor stay on the alien side for his own benefit.

The cheek-kissing cracked me up since, now I live in Spain, I'm never sure whether people are planning to kiss me or not, or whether I should kiss them and they'll think me horrible for not doing so. Or whether they don't want to kiss me at all. It's completely random, and so confusing!

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I llovin the new Doctor, hes different its fresh I liked Ten as he was awesome but the new guy is a different kind of awesome.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously majorly awesome fricking wow!!! [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

What a cliffhanger. And no spoiler-reel for next week! Doctor Who went too fast this year! Do we have to wait till Christmas after next week?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Oh my gods...
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Someone's going to be pushing a very big reset button next week.

Because no universe = no show.

Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, but...but...the universe. What happened to the universe?

Wow. (Looks at watch...taps foot) How long until next Saturday?

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

That was pretty awful. I mean, once Daleks and Cybermen and the like were ruled out, the "most dangerous creature" the box was for had to be the Doctor. Granted, I expected to find him in there when they opened it, but still, it wasn't such a shocker.

And the stuff with the Doctor yelling at them from that rock... gawd... I'm surprised they didn't just vaporize him on the spot. I mean, I'm not surprised, because that would have ended the show, but suspension of disbelief got a lot harder for me at that point.

I really, really dislike this Doctor. He's gone way past eccentric and into seriously annoying. Maybe ritalin would help.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
That was pretty awful. I mean, once Daleks and Cybermen and the like were ruled out, the "most dangerous creature" the box was for had to be the Doctor. Granted, I expected to find him in there when they opened it, but still, it wasn't such a shocker.

And the stuff with the Doctor yelling at them from that rock... gawd... I'm surprised they didn't just vaporize him on the spot. I mean, I'm not surprised, because that would have ended the show, but suspension of disbelief got a lot harder for me at that point.

I really, really dislike this Doctor. He's gone way past eccentric and into seriously annoying. Maybe ritalin would help.

Becuase he's the DOCTOR how can they be sure they got him or he would stay dead? The point is they wanna make absolutely sure they get him trapped in that box for good.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
"Doctor-from-the-future"? Huh?

He getting his jacket back was a production error not a hidden checkhovs gun.

I guess not.

Did anyone catch what her mother said after she said he wasn't imaginary? I listened to it a dozen times, and I still can't make it out.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Okay I admit it I was wrong and I am glad to be wrong.

I am also happy to see Rory and Pond continue as companions.

Any thoughts that Amy is River Song in the past and that the guy she killed was Rory?

[ June 27, 2010, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Bigbangtimegraph.png

graph.

Also favorite line:

"Mercy!"

Say it again.

"Mercy!"

Again.

"Meeeeeercyyyyyyyyy"

[ June 27, 2010, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

I would be happy to swap out Amy for River, but I hope they're not the same person - because at this point if Rory ever dies of anything ever again it will be ridiculous.

River is probably my second favourite character these days. I think it's having such a good actress.

That was pretty enjoyable - not as exciting or crazy as some of the other season finales, but it made a lot of sense and was very clever.
Matt Smith acted his little socks off.

If they will just make Amy more likeable, next season could be great. I like that they're carrying some plot over into next year.

Loved that Van Gough's Starry Night was a big clue about the stars going out. World in a bubble stories are lovely.

Favourite lines - 'She's only mostly dead' and 'I wear a fez now. Fezes are coo...' BANG

I still have a few questions I'm hoping the writers will address next year:

Did Rory remember the two thousand years of waiting (since he technically was in a different body)?

If Amy and Rory do remember three different time streams (With Cracks and With Stars / Without Stars and With Cracks / Without Cracks, With Stars, Without Doctor), doesn't reminiscing get confusing?
If they don't, why does River remember it all? (She must do, she was at the wedding).

While the Doctor never existed, didn't that put them back into 'Turn Left' territory, but worse (in that universe, the whole world fell apart because he was gone for 2 years, not 2,000).
How did Amy, Rory and their village survive?

Now that the cracks are closed, does everyone remember the Giant Christmas Robot again?

Did the Doctor telling Amy to love Rory make her fall in love with him in the first place? (Poor guy - he's so much better for her than she is for him).

Lisa
Member # 8384

Anyone have a clue what Amy's mother said?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Did Rory remember the two thousand years of waiting (since he technically was in a different body)?
Yes, during the wedding scene he says "I was plastic..."

quote:
If Amy and Rory do remember three different time streams (With Cracks and With Stars / Without Stars and With Cracks / Without Cracks, With Stars, Without Doctor), doesn't reminiscing get confusing?
To Amy's POV the Stars never went out except for when she was put into the Pandorica and for when she came out of it as the Universe collapsing never happened.

She only remembers everything Adult!Amy knows.

quote:
If they don't, why does River remember it all? (She must do, she was at the wedding).
Timey Wimey Ball. River went back in time to job Amy's memory because Amy remembered thus restoring River's memory.

quote:
While the Doctor never existed, didn't that put them back into 'Turn Left' territory, but worse (in that universe, the whole world fell apart because he was gone for 2 years, not 2,000).
How did Amy, Rory and their village survive?

The Cracks in the Universe only erase the MEMORY of something not what that something physically did, thus everything the Doctor did up to that point is preserved.

quote:
Now that the cracks are closed, does everyone remember the Giant Christmas Robot again?
Considering that was in Victorian London probably not.

quote:
Did the Doctor telling Amy to love Rory make her fall in love with him in the first place? (Poor guy - he's so much better for her than she is for him).
No, Amy always loved Rory this was just to make sure that she recreated him fully as well along with her parents. And your being kinda harsh on Amy.

quote:
Anyone have a clue what Amy's mother said?
Nope but its probly something like "omg".
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

quote:
And your being kinda harsh on Amy.
Probably. I'll agree that she's undeniably fond of Rory. But, the dude adores her, waits 2,000 years to be with her, thinking of her every moment - and yet she continues to constantly snap at him, repeatedly tells him to shut up, generally emasculates him and then tries to snog the Doctor in the middle of their wedding.

I want to like her! And her mini-me is so cute!
And I'm all for shades of grey (love Donna, River, Jack - they all have serious personality issues, but with some amazing other qualities), but Amy's just kind of a shrew a lot of the time.

I'm not saying that this isn't a valid characterisation. I just don't want to watch it.
Why, oh why can't they just make her more likeable character? /Rant]

Lisa - Amy's mum says 'Oh, no, not this again.' followed by 'The psychiatrists we sent her to.'

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.