FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Glee Season 2 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Glee Season 2
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Brittany is so funny. She says weird things in a dead pan voice. It cracks me up.
Also it's funny what Sue said "it's a Britney Sex riot"

The growing panic on her face in that scene was priceless.
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

Kurt was as annoying as usual. Was he wearing a skirt?

No a sweater and trousers.
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
Funny you say that, during the church scene my wife turned to me and said "That's how church should be!"

BB, I didn't see the same thing you did. Will made it clear that it was supposed to be spirituality in general, I think Kurt's song played into that. He sang about the bond between father and son.

I think Kurt looked like a complete jerk this episode. His friends were trying to help by praying for his father, and Kurt acted like a child. We don't know if Burt is religious at all or what his beliefs are. It wasn't up to Kurt to make that decision for his father, and I think he realized this at the end.

I think most people that do not believe in God would still appreciate if a friend prayed for a sick family member. I am sure there are those that wouldn't, but I do not believe they would act like Kurt did.

One thing that really bugged me about this episode though... For a while Finn believed that Grilled Cheesus was answering his prayers and giving him what he asked for. There is the scene where Finn is angry at Kurt for not telling him about Burt and says that Burt is the closest thing to a father he may ever have. Afterwards he doesn't pray that Burt gets better, but instead asks to touch Rachel's breasticles. I don't know if the writers are just idiots or if they purposely wrote it that way. It just really bugged me.

Finn's selfishness was the whole point. It was also nicely contrasted by Puck's selflessness.
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a little odd to see Puck get the "Best Guy in the Episode" award. And his line about J-Money being his favorite Heb cracked me up. All in all, it was a good week for Puck.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
"The J man". Not "J-Money".
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I went back and watched the episode again. After my second viewing, I think Kurt was a jerk on in the hospital scene. The scene where he said he was an atheist was actually very well done. He didn't come across as a jerk to me this time around.

I think the funniest line goes to Britney though... "God is an evil dwarf?"

Quinn is probably my favorite character, partly because she has had the most believable character development in the series. I feel her pregnancy made her more understanding of others and helped her mature. The other characters haven't really matured, with the exception of perhaps Puck. I'm just afraid that since she is head cheerleader again she will revert to her old ways. [Frown]

I would also like more numbers with Santana and Quinn. Mike will be getting a duet with Tina next episode, so we finally get to hear his voice.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a little disappointed last week that John Stamos didn't get a chance to sing. I was really looking forward to a Beach Boys number. And it seems unfair that when each of NPH and Idina Menzel guest star, they got to show off. Maybe he'll be back, though.

I can't put together my thoughts on this week's episode just yet.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Stamos is supposed to be an ongoing guest star. I imagine we'll have to hear him sing at some point.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Please tell me I'm not the only one who really just wants Rachel to die offscreen and never ever come back.

Honestly, she's the more obnoxious character on this show.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get why they can't make balanced characters.

There is a lot of melodrama and the writing is not always great. This episode was heart-wrenching and deeply moving, but it was fundamentally based off a dramatic trick.

If they can't make the characters have meaningful and relatable life experiences without pulling out the stops - say having a fake baby, myocardial infarction, and so on - the show will likely descend into melodrama.

In my opinion, the first episode of this show was the best, and they haven't lived up to that potential since.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If they can't make the characters have meaningful and relatable life experiences without pulling out the stops - say having a fake baby, myocardial infarction, and so on - the show will likely descend into melodrama.
This implies that melodrama is a status the show must descend towards to achieve, as oppose to a permanent state that has been part of the show from the beginning.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Jane Lynch was on SNL last night.

Couple of funny skits. Lots of unfunny ones. That show has really gone downhill.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone watch tonight's episode yet?

It felt like they completely replaced the writing staff. They corrected so many problems I've had with the show that I actually enjoyed the episode rather than viewing it like a car wreck.

I never thought Finn and Rachel could ever be adorable but with Rachel deciding to be selfless (in her own roundabout way) I felt like we finally saw what they'd be like as a real-life couple. There was something just so right and genuine about how they interacted with each other. She was respectful of him and he just seemed so puppy-dog in love with her...it was nice.

AND THEY DEALT WITH THE KURT AND FINN DEBACLE FROM LAST SEASON. Sorry for the caps but I hear little show choir angels singing "Hallelujah" right now. It was great to see Burt talk to Kurt about how he was treating Finn, and Kurt actually listened. Kurt and Finn also had a surprisingly calm and mature conversation about what happened.

I'm interested to see if this whole Brittany and Artie thing continues past this episode. I don't have alot of faith that it will, but it'd be really cool to see some more character development for Brittany. She's kinda the last person I'd expect the writers to really utilize beyond her great one-liners.

We also got some early budding romance for Quinn and Sam. Mike and Tina not only got a song but a funny scene that shows their rocky relationship. And Santana and Mercedes did the BEST performance of the night. I've been begging for a Santana solo since the Gaga episode and I'm so glad to finally hear more of her voice.

I actually did not like Kurt's duet performance. As if he could really get the Cheerios to help him out for that. Was Sue out with the flu? But I did enjoy his performance with Rachel at the end.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the amount of character growth in an episode with so many musical numbers. In two weeks we get another themed episode with the Rocky Horror Picture Show, but I'm hoping after that we'll get more episodes like this one.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

While I'm thrilled that they finally addressed this, I still don't think that Kurt really gets it. He continues to conflate homophobia with being creeped out by unwanted and inappropriate advances. I'm glad that Finn discussed it with such calm directness. I'm still not sure he got it.

Santana/Mercedes' number was amazing. I thought Tina and Mike, while not the most powerful song, was maybe the most impressive performance because it must have been so hard to learn.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree completely that this was a cut above everything else that has ever come before it on this show. The level of growth from the writers was equally impressive to anything the characters did. [Smile]

There was a lot to love, but I think my favorite was Britney pushing the meatball with her nose. I think it opened up a lot of vulnerablity in her character. If these writers stick around, it could even turn into a character arc or something.

As for Kurt not getting it, I think I see where he's coming from. I don't think it's that he doesn't see the inappropriateness, per se. I think it's that he's so lonely, that he's denied something so basic that he feels entitled to go out and get it. It's his way of being Britney. They're both looking for something special and getting sidetracked with what's more readily available.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

I really loved the episode last night as well. I thought most of the musical numbers were pretty good, with the exception of Kurt's solo. My wife actually asked me to fast forward the song because she thought it was boring.

I'm so happy Quinn is giving Sam a chance. I first thought Sam was going to be a tough guy, but it turns out he is just a nerd. I cringed when he spoke the Na'vi language to Quinn, and the look on her face was priceless. I'm glad she is going to give him a chance though. The poor guy probably has no idea how to socialize with women since he went to the all boys boarding school.

Rachel was less annoying this episode. I still hate her.

Britney actually looked hurt when Artie broke up with her. I think she truly likes him. One thing about Britney is that she doesn't really judge people. The way she was looking at Artie kind of made me feel sorry for her.

I am also pleased that Kurt is starting to see that maybe he was being pushy and inappropriate. Burt admitting he may have overreacted with Finn was great. I want Kurt to just get a boyfriend so he can stop being so annoying. I know the dialog about Kurt being lonely is setting us up for this to happen, but I want it done and over with.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

How can anyone not love Kurt's performance last night? It was absolutely amazing. Not quite as good as Julie Andrews in Victor Victoria but damn close.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Kurt's was okay, but it was maybe only my third or fourth favorite song. I liked Mike/Tina's number as a performance, but not so much as a singing performance. For that, Mercedes and Santana absolutely won. I didn't care for Quinn and Sam's because it wasn't a riff, it was like karaoke, but it wasn't nearly as good as Mraz and Callait. And I liked the mashup at the end.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that was pretty good. This season seems to moving in... dare I say... New Directions...
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It's still early. Remember that we all loved the first half of last season too.
Lisa
Member # 8384

I didn't recognize the song Sam and Quinn did. It sounded like something by the Ditty Bops.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

I usually enjoy the show tunes the most, but I just hated Kurt's. He did a great job of singing the song, I just found myself wishing it would end because it was boring.

I did enjoy the duet with Rachel and Kurt though.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
I didn't recognize the song Sam and Quinn did. It sounded like something by the Ditty Bops.

It was "Lucky" by Jason Mraz and Colbie Callait.

I actually really like that song. Usually I like the Glee songs that take songs and do their own thing with it, but this was a dead-on performance of what the cd track sounds like. I don't mean that as a compliment either. They matched it stylistically, but the original is better by far.

Lisa
Member # 8384

I just listened to it. And the original doesn't sound so much like the Ditty Bops. Maybe it's Sam and Quinn's voices.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Link. A really smart analysis of why Rocky Horror is the phenomenon that it is, and why having them do it on Glee is really kind of dumb.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to close my ears during the non-singing parts. The "drama" is PAINFUL.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I hated the changed lyrics. So "transvestite" is okay for a show in the first hour of prime time, but "transsexual" isn't? And "petting" is problematic? Sheesh.

On the other hand, who knew that Emma could sing so well? And Kurt is a perfect Riff-Raff.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

But that's how every episode is, just about.

Oh, and Will actually wins "Worst Person of the Week" this week. He even outdid Sue. What a slime.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

While Will was definitely an idiot this episode... oddly enough I didn't find the drama eye gouging. It was so over the top that I found myself just not caring.

I thought the "male body image" subplot was worthwile, and I think they did a decent job of interesting meta discussion of Rocky Horror itself (although I am not remotely familiar with the show in its original form, the concerns of that guy Lisa linked to didn't bother me, considering how they handled it).

Geraine
Member # 9913

I thought it was a "ho-hum" episode. I was glad Emma sang and I was pleased that Quinn got a mini solo in one of the songs. Other than that, the only positive thing was that Rachel didn't have many lines.

Oh, and I want Puck back already.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

I loved Mercedes's number. She was amazing.

Anyone know who it was that got the opening solo? I wanted to match her by the teeth, but no one got enough of a close-up for me to tell.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Those were Santana's lips in the opening.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

Yes! Now how to tell hubby without actually saying "I told you so"... [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

But that's how every episode is, just about.

Oh, and Will actually wins "Worst Person of the Week" this week. He even outdid Sue. What a slime.

Yep, every episode is downright painful during the talking parts. There's hasn't been an enjoyable-during-the-talking-parts episode of Glee since...the first half of the first season, I think. There was one or two with Quinn that were okay. Maybe the one where we first met Jesse St. James.

What I really want is for Fox to admit that the show's story sucks and give us a "musical acts" version on their website. Seriously - give a few title cards to describe the set up, and just let us see the singing.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

On Hulu they usually have isolated music clips, although they don't have all of them.

I thought the Religion and Not-Particularly-Themed episode that came after it were both pretty good. Britney episode was funny except for when it was terrible. Overall this season's been more watchable than the last episodes of last season for me.

katharina
Member # 827

"Duets" was okay, and it was notable because it was basically the characters apologizing for their horrible behavior in the rest of the episodes. It's Rachel being self aware about being a raging witch, and Kurt getting called out for being an entitled, whiney predator.

Oddly enough, once again, the only really tolerable storyline that wasn't a mea culpa was Quinn's. She isn't my favorite character, but she's the only one that's getting written consistently like a human being instead of a charictature or a plot device.

Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
Those were Santana's lips in the opening.

It took me about 5 seconds to figure that out by the way she moved her mouth. I admit I am kind of obsessed with Naya Rivera. Even more so with Diana Agron. Not in a stalker type of way, but.... ok fine, I'd stalk them if I weren't married.
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
This show bothered me so much. Bothered me because Will was an absolute jerk, and his character is the worst. This was so in character for him (lately) which totally removes him from the lovable morally upright teacher who helps his kids mature, and makes him more the high school kid who has never grown up.

And GOSH. I HATE the hypocrisy in Glee. Their whole diatribe about how it is inappropriate for kids to push the boundaries like that, and yet this show makes SUCH an impression on millions of high school teenagers. They got away with riding the raunchiness and pretended that they weren't doing the play for an audience, so it was ok. Except that they were REALLY doing it for an audience of millions of viewers at home, and that they had pretty much done all the envelope pushing scenes by that point anyways. Ugh.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Wait, are you talking about last night's episode or the show in general? Or about the Rocky Horror one from a few weeks back? I thought last night's episode was pretty good.

I definitely agree that the show tries to have its cake and eat it too with the raunchiness, and it's kinda despicable.

I think the "Will is a High School student who hasn't grown up" is an accurate comment that was actually explored (slightly) in yesterday's episode, and I think if they made it a more official theme instead of something they occasionally just touch on it might be more workable.

Armoth
Member # 4752

I was talking about Rocky Horror. I'm a bit behind.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Okay, that episode was pretty good.

I though the Beist storyline was a little silly, but still pulled on my heartstrings. And yes, they keep resurrecting Kurt's storyline, but I think this time I actually respected Kurt and his method of dealing. I thought making the bully gay was stupid, but whatever, I enjoyed Kurt's growth.

And I'm a HUGE fan of the new dude who will play Kurt's boyfriend from a very potter musical.

Also loved teenage dream. My acapella group actually uses the guy who arranged and produced teenage dream to mix our songs. He did an amazing job with the song.

Geraine
Member # 9913

Are you so sure that Blaine will be Kurts new boyfriend?

I mean, Kurt has been attracted to football boys in the past. Finn and Sam are both jocks, so it Kurovski...I don't know! I read somewhere that Kurt would have a boyfriend at his own school, so if Blaine doesn't tranfer, that leaves Kurovski.

Armoth
Member # 4752

I guess I'm not sure. I don't see Kurt as a real person so I'm not sure I'd factor in his past attractions. But if his leering at Blaine while he was singing Teenage Dream is an indication of attraction, I'd say Kurt is set.
Geraine
Member # 9913

I thought that too. He did have a very telling look on his face at the time. Kurt has never been good at hiding his emotions though, and the rest of the episode it was like Kurt saw Blaine as more of a brother or mentor than someone he is romantically interested in.

Then again that could just be due to bad writing.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah. I so should have seen that locker-room scene coming, but I didn't. It's so bloody cliche. Boys pick on the girls they like cause they don't know how to say it.

I wonder if we have the makings of a new triangle here, actually. I also saw Kurt as being very attracted to Blaine during Teenage Dream. I don't think that cooled, just changed as Kurt realized that Blaine was more than just a pretty face. I have a hard time imagining that Kurt could be in any way attracted to Kurovsky, largely because of the bullying. But clearly Kurovsky is either attracted to Kurt specifically or using the fact that Kurt is out of the closet as a way of exploring his own confusion. No matter which way it rolls, I would definitely like to see Kurt not feel alone anymore.

As for Shue's comments about Kurt becoming surly and belligerent? Hello??! Did everyone forget that he danged near lost his father just a few weeks ago?

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

The bully-kiss was cliche, but it's exactly the sort of cliche Glee uses all the time and was done in a way worth exploring.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think Kurt sees Blaine absolutely as a love interest, as and a mentor. Isn't that sort of a cliche too? Blaine is Kurt's gay ombudsman that Kurt is going to fall in love with. I'm guessing it won't be requited, because we know that Blaine has a major arc in the series, the creator has already said that, and because introducing yet another new character would be odd, and Blaine seemed to genuinely have a thing for Kurt too. Either that or he just has that personality. And good. Kurt NEEDS a real relationship so he can finally work out some of his crap rather than constantly repressing it and blaming everyone else for his problems.

The rest of of it was all fine.

Except damn, the music was ten times better than usual for two reasons. 1. The music finally returned to playing more of a background role rather than carrying the show. 2. I mean geez, the songs and arrangements were just awesome! The mash-ups were crazy good. "Teenage Dream" with the High School Whiffenpoofs was fantastic, I really hope we see more numbers from those guys. Whoever plays Blaine has a natural charisma to him that I don't think any of the other characters on the show have. Plus he went to U of M.

I feel like they're starting to focus more on character development and less on music, FINALLY. Let's hope it stays.

Also, did anyone notice that Rachel barely said two words and the episode was one of the best of the season? Don't get me wrong, I like Rachel, and obviously her voice is amazing, but, you know, a little dab will do ya.

Lisa
Member # 8384

It was only because she was trying to be the opposite of how she usually is.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I was rewatching bits and pieces earlier today (mostly for the great songs) and it hit me that they've started using leitmotifs, at least, for Kurt they are. Seemed like was a cue from "Defying Gravity" too.
Geraine
Member # 9913

Did anyone watch the episode last night? I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I'm happy Mr. Schu didn't act like a complete moron when he learned Emma married "The finest dentist alive." (Santana's words)

I'm also kind of proud of Puck for telling Rachel that he didn't want to betray Finn again. I REALLY hated Rachel this episode. She went from being selfish to being the worst person on that show. First it was Kurt, then Mr. Schu, I guess it was Rachel's turn.

I loved the interaction between Brittany and Artie. I think they actually have pretty good chemistry. My favorite line was actually from Artie, when he told Brittany that while the comb wasn't magic, she was.

One thing though.. Was it just me or did Puck look more than a little impressed by the wrestler girl? After this episode it seems like she is the female version of Puck, and I think he is starting to dig her. I really hope the writers decide to go with it, it would be good for some character development.

The only thing this episode was missing was Sue. I'm really surprised she wasn't trying to sabotage the Glee club.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.