FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doctor Who Series 6 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Doctor Who Series 6
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Roughly T-minus five hours now. Giddiness is starting to ensue!

This will be our open thread to discuss the show as it airs, so please no spoilers before the air time of the show.

[ May 02, 2011, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Well that was an opener!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Next week should be interesting.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
That was literally a jaw dropper.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
That was very, very good. Very clever, very sharp, very shocking.

I might be worried that it was a bit dark, but I love how this show doesn't talk down to kids. (Although this is probably about as grown-up as this show should ever go.)

How ever will they get out of this one?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

My kids were frightened a bit. That is a scary, creepy monster in the same vein as the weeping angels.

I'm very, very excited for next week!

rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally got to see it tonight. Very cool. Definitely looking forward to next week.

I'm disappointed that BBC stopped playing the entire series in order, though. There are several with the 10th Doctor and Donna that I haven't seen.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!! I'm betting they don't resolve this one until the end of the season.

SPOILER!!!

I wonder if River Song kills 11 forcing him to regenerate before he reaches age 1103, she would prevent the events at the opening of this season.

[ April 25, 2011, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Interesting theory!

Somehow, judging from River's sad, 'Of course not' when she was firing at the astronaut, I'm guessing that she can't create paradox (or she now believes that she can't).
Although clearly, she wants to.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would killing the astronaut have created a paradox? It had already killed the doctor. It seems much simpler to presume that "Of course not", meant "Of course an alien being capable of killing The Doctor would be impervious to something as primative as bullets."
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that I can never watch a new Doctor Who episode with commercials again.

Or rather, I CAN, I just refuse to.

Great episode, though. Much better when I downloaded a version that wasn't edited to pieces for BMW advertisements.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
It seems that I can never watch a new Doctor Who episode with commercials again.

Or rather, I CAN, I just refuse to.

Same here. I'd much rather pay the itunes subscription fee than watch commercials. I generally avoid illegal downloads as I think the artists who create any show worth watching, deserve to be paid for their work.
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
]Same here. I'd much rather pay the itunes subscription fee than watch commercials. I generally avoid illegal downloads as I think the artists who create any show worth watching, deserve to be paid for their work.

Agreed. I paid the iTunes half-season pass.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
"Illegal downloads" is murky when it comes to TV, at least for broadcast TV. The shows are broadcast on public airwaves, it's legal to time- and place-shift TV shows, and it's legal to use devices that remove or skip commercials. The artists don't make a penny less when I pull it down as a torrent rather than TIVO it.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
"Illegal downloads" is murky when it comes to TV, at least for broadcast TV. The shows are broadcast on public airwaves, it's legal to time- and place-shift TV shows, and it's legal to use devices that remove or skip commercials. The artists don't make a penny less when I pull it down as a torrent rather than TIVO it.

It's not in the least bit murky legally, though I can see the ethical question is a bit more problematic. As long as TV has been around, its been possible to walk out of the room during the commercials. Advertisers know they don't have a captive audience. To the best of my knowledge, TIVO doesn't automatically edit out commercials. They are recorded and you could choose to watch them. If your typical torrent included the ads, I say there was no difference, but they generally don't.
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts on the first episode:

1. These new aliens scare the heeby jeebies out of me.

2. It seems like a very possible option to have River Song kill someone we really like (The Doctor, Rory, Amy), and that's why she's in prison.

(I had some weird suspicion that it was River in the space suit, but that doesn't make sense)

3. If 2 is the case, preventing that from ever happening, and re-writing time will likely be a very important part of the episode, or even possibley season

4. I hope none of my predictions are the case, cause that's some serious business. I wish there were a few more cute silly bits like last season's premier.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

The aliens scared us too. I was sitting there with my kids and I said "Wow, these aliens are really creepy." My ten year old daughter then looked at me quizzically and said "What aliens?"

[ROFL]

I have always thought River killed the Doctor, or Rory. The "best man she's ever known?" "A very good man?" All these things that are said about who she kills - it has to be we are going to care about and that's Rory or the Doctor.

Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
it has to be we are going to care about and that's Rory or the Doctor.

Or someone we haven't met yet. Depends entirely on how far ahead the writers are working from.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I think I posted this before, but it could, for example, be a (reformed) Master that she kills in the future.

The alien tech that they were looking at... was it like the alien tech in The Lodger?... in which case it makes me wonder if the little girl's voice is a decoy like in that episode.

(And, heck, maybe that means it's Clive in the spacesuit.)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:

I have always thought River killed the Doctor, or Rory. The "best man she's ever known?" "A very good man?" All these things that are said about who she kills - it has to be we are going to care about and that's Rory or the Doctor.

It has to be The Doctor. Given the rapturous way she talks about the doctor, they are going to have to pretty radically alter her character to make me believe "the best man she's ever known" could be any one but The Doctor.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why would killing the astronaut have created a paradox? It had already killed the doctor.
Yes and no. Hence, paradox.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Why would killing the astronaut have created a paradox? It had already killed the doctor.
Yes and no. Hence, paradox.
Clear as mud.

What would be changed if River had killed the astronaut? Why would that create a paradox?

Unless the Astronaut is a younger River Song (which is highly speculative), I don't see how killing the Astronaut creates a paradox.

[ April 26, 2011, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think River killed the doctor because she is in prison for it. I think it unlikely that she would go to prison for killing a Time Lord. Who would have jurisdiction over that? And if he regnerates, is it really murder? Esp if it is to save his life?
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

quote:
Unless the Astronaut is a younger River Song (which is highly speculative), I don't see how killing the Astronaut creates a paradox.
Well (supposing that it's not River in the spacesuit, and considering that River is a time traveller), all it would take would be for her to know who is in the suit - and to have met them at some point in time after they killed the Doctor.

So she would know that they survived this particular event.

It's all speculation. It was just odd that she said 'of course not' so sadly, as if she already knew that what she was trying to do was impossible. Although, of course, there could be hundreds of other motivations.

I'm sure we'll find out sometime this year!

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER WARNING:
Holy crow! Amy's having a Schroedinger's Cat! And how is her kid a Time Lord? (I'm assuming that's her kid, given the photo.) Here's my theory. The kid turns out to be the first Time Lord, made that way by all the TARDISing while she was in the womb.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the thread should be changed to "Doctor Who Season 6."

My reaction to episode 2: "That was, that was, wow."

I'm definitely going to watch this one again (not tonight though). I'm not going to spoiler anything, except to say that after last week I was wondering what effect traveling in a TARDIS would have on a developing baby.

Oh, and that last bit? It made me think of the Chrestomanci stories, how Christopher Chant kept using up lives without realizing it.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
I'm not going to spoiler anything, except to say that after last week I was wondering what effect traveling in a TARDIS would have on a developing baby.

See, and that never even occurred to me.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
SPOILER WARNING:
Holy crow! Amy's having a Schroedinger's Cat! And how is her kid a Time Lord? (I'm assuming that's her kid, given the photo.) Here's my theory. The kid turns out to be the first Time Lord, made that way by all the TARDISing while she was in the womb.

Obviously not, Time Lord history is fairly specific about its origins; its more likely some kind of clone with TL dna; invirtro alien insemination/fertilization if you will. Clearly its purpose is to end the universe somehow.

I'ld like to see Omega return.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers
I think that the pregnancy is just supposed to throw you off. The Timelord child isn't Rory / Amy's. I don't think that time travel would freakin turn a human into a Timelord -- there are many other time-travelers in the DW universe that were never affected like that (or they wouldn't have to wear the fancy watches -- they would have just bred new time-traveling races).

My money's on last year's speculation . . . it's the Rani. The Doctor has regenerated as old and young . . . why not even younger. Or maybe it's a regeneration of the Doctor's daughter or granddaughter, Jenny or Susan.

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

This post is FULL OF SPOILERS.

I liked that Amy and Rory are being adorable to each other and she said 'I love you', even if she is still being obscure about it and not telling him important stuff.

And River and the Doctor's reaction to that kiss was funny and heartbreaking, and you just know that one day he's going to kiss her for the first time, and it'll be his last. But the moment when they meet somewhere between their respective endings will be explosive!
It's also interesting that, from both of their current perspectives, they have already watched the other die - it gives a whole new meaning to the idea of borrowed time. It reminds me of Marty and Doc and the Libyans - someone's going to be wearing a flak jacket.

'But I can fix that.' This little girl is more than just Time Lord. She's a little bit Doctor. I wonder what she looks like after the regeneration.

If the baby photo was real, then poor Amy. She just keeps forgetting all about the ones she loves, doesn't she?

If the baby was conceived in the Tardis, that might make her wink in and out of reality. There hasn't been a lot of sex going on in the Tardis up until Amy and Rory. If there was a fifty-fifty chance of pregnancy or not, maybe you get both.
If so, I just wonder how the show is going to explain this to six year olds!

The children's home scenes were about the scariest thing on this show since Blink.

So for the last forty years everyone's been killing Silents and then forgetting about it? I wonder what they're doing with all the bodies - it would be hard to forget about that, considering the smell.

ETA: 'I think she's dreaming.' That whole moment with the lady with the eyepatch was like something out of LOST, or The Prisoner. Maybe none of this is real, or what they think it is, at all.

[ May 01, 2011, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Bella Bee ]

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
The children's home scenes were about the scariest thing on this show since Blink.

For my taste, they were scarier.

quote:
So for the last forty years everyone's been killing Silents and then forgetting about it? I wonder what they're doing with all the bodies - it would be hard to forget about that, considering the smell.

I thought about that. Also, now we know why Nixon was so paranoid and why he recorded everything.

quote:
ETA: 'I think she's dreaming.' That whole moment with the lady with the eyepatch was like something out of LOST, or The Prisoner. Maybe none of this is real, or what they think it is, at all.

It made me think of the episode of Buffy where Buffy was really in a rubber room and just imagining the slaying stuff.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I like how Nixon reminded me of Londo Millari here.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Fun episode! Lots, lots more questions... the only one that really got answered was, what is The Silence... and even then, it's only a partial answer; we see them in 1969... and then they (mostly) got wiped off the Earth... but somehow they're going to survive to be an even bigger threat that can rip holes in space and time and control the TARDIS and all that, hmm.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
I'm not going to spoiler anything, except to say that after last week I was wondering what effect traveling in a TARDIS would have on a developing baby.

See, and that never even occurred to me.
And not just the TARDIS itself, but other planets, with different kinds of radiation, for example.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

River's dance of death was beautiful.

Also, if you look at the photos in the little girl's room, some of them look different enough that they could be her post-regeneration.

(Although I'm getting tired of calling her the little girl. Until proven otherwise, I'm going to call her Amy Jr.)

And the kiss was so sad. That explains why she never tried to kiss him before.

ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's a thought worth considering. The little girl is Doctor Song? Amy and Rory's daughter..maybe?

Or the little girl is the daughter of the Doctor and River Song?

Still I think that it looks like Steven Moffat is about to start rebuilding the Time Lord race or something.

Also, I wonder if this is going to tie into the new Torchwood series coming up.

Oh, btw, if you didn't catch it, the Tardis confirmed that Amy is pregnant.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, btw, if you didn't catch it, the Tardis confirmed that Amy is pregnant
no it didn't.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Kama:
quote:
Oh, btw, if you didn't catch it, the Tardis confirmed that Amy is pregnant
no it didn't.
Well, it did and it didn't. That's what I meant that she's having a Schroedinger's Cat. It kept flipping from positive to negative and back again. Which means that it's indeterminate, I guess.
Kama
Member # 3022

exactly. that means it didn't confirm it (nor did it deny it)

[Wink]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Well, it did and it didn't. That's what I meant that she's having a Schroedinger's Cat. It kept flipping from positive to negative and back again. Which means that it's indeterminate, I guess.

The baby is wibbly-wobbly, apparently.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

I know it happens in real life, but it would be rather disturbing to go into labor with no idea that you were even pregnant - which seems like Amy's likely fate at some point.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:

The baby is wibbly-wobbly, apparently.
And timey-wimey.
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched it again....

Yeah I could for timey-wimey, wibble-wobbly.

Okay, so the girl. Amy's daughter, River's daughter or someone completely different altogether?

The Master perhaps?

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I love River. I just totally do.

I am sad about the relationship - the fact that it's the last time she will kiss the Doctor.

I still want to know who she is. We've now been given hints that she is just a human being - she spoke of being a young girl and the Doctor sweeping into her life. I'm so curious! I hope we find out this season but if we do does that mean no more River next season? I don't want to lose Alex Kingston from the show.

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Alex Kingston is awesome, and I've thought so since she was in ER (it helped that her character was meant to have grown up in the same town as me, but still).

The good news about the kissing thing - sad as it is - is that, since we're seeing their relationship backwards, there should be lots of kissing from now on! I could never imagine the Doctor in a relationship before, but those two make such a cute couple.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
I love River. I just totally do.

I am sad about the relationship - the fact that it's the last time she will kiss the Doctor.

I still want to know who she is. We've now been given hints that she is just a human being - she spoke of being a young girl and the Doctor sweeping into her life. I'm so curious! I hope we find out this season but if we do does that mean no more River next season? I don't want to lose Alex Kingston from the show.

It's The Time Traveler's Wife, except with both of them as time travelers. While it's true that the River Song we just saw will never kiss the Doctor again, her future is the previous eps we've seen with her. She didn't kiss him in The Big Bang, or with the Angels. And in fact, I think those are the only two times she's going to see him again before the final time, in his previous incarnation, when she dies.

Every time we see River from now on, though, she's going to be younger, and in a happy relationship with the Doctor. Eventually, it'll come to the Doctor's final encounter with River, which is when she first met him. He'll be used to her as his... wife or whatever, and yes, he'll sweep her off her feet. Much as she's done to him already.

Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I still want to know who she is. We've now been given hints that she is just a human being - she spoke of being a young girl and the Doctor sweeping into her life.

Lots of planets have young girls.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

And whatever she did that landed her in prison probably happened after she met the Doctor. Which means that when she met the Doctor, he already knew she was going to wind up in jail, and why. That's harsh.
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly certain the girl is The Master. Makes sense as the one who kills The Doctor, too. Remember his reaction before he dies.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

i'm fairly certain she's not [Wink]
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.