FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doctor Who Series 6 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Doctor Who Series 6
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
'I am The Master!' *swirls cape*

'No you're not, you're a tiny little girl. Here, have a jellybaby.'

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Only now it would be a Jammie Dodger.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The good news about the kissing thing - sad as it is - is that, since we're seeing their relationship backwards, there should be lots of kissing from now on! I could never imagine the Doctor in a relationship before, but those two make such a cute couple.
You are all taking the whole moving in opposite directions thing too literally. If this were actually true, then there would never be a point in time when they had both experienced the same events. The journals would never overlap. That isn't true. There is no reason to believe that because this is the first time The Doctor kisses river, its the last time she will kiss him.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
except she believes it.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kama:
except she believes it.

There is no reason to believe she believes this in the literal way you guys are interpreting it. She knows that there are times when she and The Doctor meet up when they have shared experiences. She knows what she said isn't literally true.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I mean she believes she'll never kiss him again.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Kama:
I mean she believes she'll never kiss him again.

I don't think that's at all clear. She knows that a day will come when they kiss for the last time. She clearly fears that day. I think her reaction was more consistent with fearing it would be her last kiss than it is with believing it would be their last kiss.
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Cross-posted from sake, but did anybody else notice the paintings on facing walls in the little girl's room? They seem to be of a woman holding up her skirts, but if you look at them upside-down, they look like portraits of members of The Silence.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else wondering, how what looks like a physical child regenerates at all? And if she does, what does she regenerate into? Another physical child? The Doctor's apparent physiological age (if that's the right term) has fluctuated with each regeneration, but he was only ever a little child in his first incarnation. Is there a rule of Time Lord biology that they can only regenerate into a body that is somewhat similar in 'age'?
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall an episode where whatsherface, the Fourth Doctor's Time Lady companion, gets to decide what sort of appearance she wants when she regenerates. Of course, that ignores the question of whether a little kid, even a Time Kid, can handle suddenly being a grownup...
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Romana's regeneration from Romana I to Romana II was pretty goofy; all the DW writers since seem to have ignored it as best they could!
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
The good news about the kissing thing - sad as it is - is that, since we're seeing their relationship backwards, there should be lots of kissing from now on! I could never imagine the Doctor in a relationship before, but those two make such a cute couple.
You are all taking the whole moving in opposite directions thing too literally. If this were actually true, then there would never be a point in time when they had both experienced the same events. The journals would never overlap. That isn't true. There is no reason to believe that because this is the first time The Doctor kisses river, its the last time she will kiss him.
Yeah. Other than the first time he meets her being the last time she does, none of their other meetings have been in a strict chronological order. And in the Library, just before she dies, she talks about the last time she saw him: he showed up at her doorstep with flowers and a haircut and took her to the singing towers of where ever. I can't believe he would take her on a romantic date like that to say good bye and not kiss her.

Unless--When the Doctor died at the beginning of The Impossible Astronaut, time rewrote itself, and now all of River's memories of the Doctor from latter incarnations no longer exist. And in this new timeline, they really are living literally back to front.

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

quote:
Originally posted by Amilia:
Unless--When the Doctor died at the beginning of The Impossible Astronaut, time rewrote itself, and now all of River's memories of the Doctor from latter incarnations no longer exist. And in this new timeline, they really are living literally back to front.

Rory remembers being the last centurion. So maybe River's memories wouldn't reset.

Question: In "The Time of Angels" doesn't the Doctor say something to River about being an archaelogist and she looks surprised or says something? I got the impression she wasn't one at that point. (I'll go check.) I bring this up because in "Day of the Moon" Rory asked her what kind of doctor she was and she answered "archaelogist" and put her gun back in the holster. So maybe they aren't completely back to front.

Also, the last meeting River has with the Doctor before the library is when he takes her someplace, and also gives her a sonic screwdriver. So they aren't completely back-to-front.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
He introduced her as "Professor River Song" and she replied "I'm going to become a professor?" or something like that.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Yeah, I just saw that. Oh, well. There is still the meeting just before the library, which we haven't seen.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

I just have a feeling that over the last year or so Moffat has probably come up with some clever payoff to the 'backwards' relationship thing and from now on that's how he'll describe it to us. Until this episode, they just seemed to be meeting out of order.

But I get the sensation from this last episode that he's retconning that and hoping that no-one notices or minds too much.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
I just have a feeling that over the last year or so Moffat has probably come up with some clever payoff to the 'backwards' relationship thing and from now on that's how he'll describe it to us. Until this episode, they just seemed to be meeting out of order.

But I get the sensation from this last episode that he's retconning that and hoping that no-one notices or minds too much.

If he's retconning it, he started off very badly by opening this season with 11 and River going through their journals in the cafe and then having Amy explain that they are syncing their diaries because they never meet in the right order. It's one thing to try to get away with retconning something done a couple seasons back and hoping people will miss the inconsistency. Its quite another to do it in the very same episode. Moffat's a better writer than that. At least, I hope so.

[ May 05, 2011, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Aris Katsaris
Member # 4596

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris         Edit/Delete Post 
This really was a very bad two-parter where plot or coherence were involved. Some nice creepy moments, but they were moments, they didn't amount to a coherent something.

It pulled an explanation of last season's "Silence" mystery which was both out of its ass and doesn't have anything to do with anything that happened there, and then it decided to introduce a new mystery (the Astronaut) which didn't really seem to have anything to do with anything concerning the Silence aliens.

Within the two-parter itself there were unnecessary time-jumps -- why the gap of months between Part 1 & 2, why the time-jumps at the beginnig, and events that didn't seem to lead anywhere (shooting at the astronaut in part 1, the Doctor's death, etc, etc)

I don't have faith this will make sense, ever. I'm starting to think that Moffat is an excellent episode writer, but a terrible arc designer. Either that or he was just thrown random executive meddling (we want something in America, something with an astronaut perhaps, we want the Silence arc clumsily wrapped-up, and we want possible romantic/sexual implications with both River and Amy, and we want the Doctor dying for real, and we want in a single two-part episode, you have two days to write the whole thing, now start!)

Posts: 676 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Just popping in to say that I watched my first "Doctor Who" episode ever and loved it.

All thanks to my parent's cable selection of hundreds of channels including BBCAmerica.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

which episode, Shanna?
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
It was the one with the Starship UK. And there was one on right after with Winston Churchill and the Daleks.

I've been wanting to watch it forever but was intimidated because I didn't know where to start. But it was surprisingly easy to jump in at a random episode. I think within five minutes I had a big geeky grin plastered on my face.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I think you should go back and watch season 5 from the beginning - there are things in the first episodes that become more important later on. And welcome to the "club."

Also, for those with Netflix, they now have seasons 1-5 altogether. The image is of the 11th doctor and Amy, but that's misleading. But you can catch up on the most recent seasons in order that way. They have the specials with David Tennant separately.

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't have faith this will make sense, ever. I'm starting to think that Moffat is an excellent episode writer, but a terrible arc designer.
I am with you. I hope I am wrong, but I am getting the feeling that Moffat is more interested in a cool or memorable scene than consistency.

6.2 Spoiler:

For example, why was the Doctor tied up in Area 51? If Nixon was on his side and at his disposal, who put him in area 51 and why? Why pretend to hunt and kill Rory and Amy and go through the effort to be in that prison and how did the Tardis get there? Maybe something in those three months will explain it, but for now it feels like Moffat wanted some iconic shots and wrote the scenes to get those shots.

Great ideas...but I am a little worried about execution. This last episode (6.3) started off great but spiraled down to some truly cringe worthy moments.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I figured that the dr wanted the Silence to be taken by surprise by what they were up to.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason the Doctor was tied up in Area 51 was that he needed to have that special material used to construct the prison so that he could talk to the other CIA agent without any silence around. There was no other way to make certain that the silence weren't around.

They needed a reason to bring the 4 of them together without alerting the Silence.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
A LIVING TIME LORD SIGNAL!?

Rani or the Master...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
There's also still the Doctor's daughter running around from the David Tennet episode called "The Doctor's Daughter". She did regen at the end of the episode.

Probably not. Especially since the actress is getting married to David Tennet.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

And they just had a baby.

But I think Jenny would be too obvious an answer. I hope Neil Gaiman has pulled out all the weird stops next week. When he's good, he's really good.

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
So, so tired of the fake deaths. Counting the Doctor, this is five fake deaths in the first three episodes alone. Steven Moffat needs to cut it out. It loses impact when you do it every darn episode.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. How many times is Rory going to die anyway?
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

Agreed. Though I somewhat understand their reasoning. It's less about Rory dying than it is about Amy saving Rory, and putting an end to any possibility of a Doctor/Amy romantic pairing.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:

Agreed. Though I somewhat understand their reasoning. It's less about Rory dying than it is about Amy saving Rory, and putting an end to any possibility of a Doctor/Amy romantic pairing.
In the second episode, when amy and rory come out of the body bags, the Doctor pulls rory out first and gives him a hug before he goes to amy. I thought that was an intentional decision to help squash the amy/doctor romance stuff.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

quote:
More times than Buffy, Jack Bauer and Harry Kim put together at this rate.

AMY: Doctor! Rory's dead again.
THE DOCTOR: Don't worry. He does that.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:

In the second episode, when amy and rory come out of the body bags, the Doctor pulls rory out first and gives him a hug before he goes to amy. I thought that was an intentional decision to help squash the amy/doctor romance stuff.
He may be goofy, but he isn't an idiot.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

And Rory dies again in this episode. [Big Grin]

What did you guys think of the Gaiman episode?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

I liked it. I wish we knew even more about the Tardis.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
"Biting's excellent! It's like kissing only there's a winner."

LOL! Or,

"She the TARDIS. And she's a woman."
"Did you wish really hard?"

So. Much. Love.

Also, now Time Lord genderswap is canon. NARF!

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And Rory dies again in this episode. [Big Grin]

What did you guys think of the Gaiman episode?

Gaiman is a master story teller.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

I liked the bunk beds line. As a kid, with a boring floor-level bed, I fully planned to have a bunk bed when I grew up.

It's a bed with a ladder!

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
There are some cool extras for this ep on teh BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011884d

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Blue Peter, a kids' show in the U.K., held a competition for kids to design a TARDIS console. The winning design was used in "The Doctor's Wife."

video

Belle
Member # 2314

Doppelgangers come to life!

Interesting two-parter set up tonight.

Spoiler abound
So a Doctor doppelganger!! OMG!! What does that mean?

lem
Member # 6914

...It means we know who died in the first episode?
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:

Ahhh...
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

quote:
Originally posted by lem:

If that actually happens, I will throw something at the TV.
But I'm pretty sure there'll be more to it than that.

lem
Member # 6914

**Spoiler**

I agree. It is too easy and "out" too early in the season. Smells more like an obvious red herring. However, I could see developing him as a Doctor equivalent who sacrifices himself so The Silence think the Doctor is dead.

Maybe it was the original Doctor in the space suite who shot the clone. Or maybe the original Doctor is the one who died and we are left with the clone so the audience has to come to terms that it truly is alive with a soul.

Just thoughts, not predictions.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

A couple of things that I wonder about - in "The Impossible Astronaut" when they are having the picnic, the Doctor says that he must have had wine before, then drinks and he hates it. But in "The Lodger," he drank wine and hated it then, too. So he didn't remember? Maybe because 200 years had passed ...

And in "The Doctor's Wife," when he tells the TARDIS that he borrowed her, she says, “Borrowing implies the eventual intention to return the thing that was taken. What makes you think I would ever give you back?” Is there possibly something the TARDIS could do to bring the Doctor back? The Master was brought back after death, although his return was messed up by Lucy Saxon.

Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Unless the Doctor explicitly says that someone can't be brought back, they can be brought back. Also, if the Doctor says someone can't be brought back, they still can.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
CaySedai, remember that Doctor Who gets a new body every so often, metamorphosizing or metasticizing or something so he can be "renewed." So each new incarnation of the doctor may not know if he likes wine or not.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
CaySedai, remember that Doctor Who gets a new body every so often, metamorphosizing or metasticizing or something so he can be "renewed." So each new incarnation of the doctor may not know if he likes wine or not.

Irrelevant. All of CaySedai's examples were of the 11th Doctor.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.