FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doctor Who Series 6 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Doctor Who Series 6
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler:

I noticed that the doctor gets replicated before he loses his shoes. It's pretty obvious that the shoes are going to be the key between distinguishing between the real doctor (new shoes) and the doppelganger (old shoes). I went back and checked. The Doctor who was killed in episode 1 was wearing the old shoes. It might not mean anything, The Doctor could change his shoes hundreds of times over the course of 2 centuries, but then again it might. I'll be watching to see if The Doctor keeps the new shoes.

[ May 25, 2011, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
A couple of things that I wonder about - in "The Impossible Astronaut" when they are having the picnic, the Doctor says that he must have had wine before, then drinks and he hates it. But in "The Lodger," he drank wine and hated it then, too. So he didn't remember? Maybe because 200 years had passed ...

And in "The Doctor's Wife," when he tells the TARDIS that he borrowed her, she says, “Borrowing implies the eventual intention to return the thing that was taken. What makes you think I would ever give you back?” Is there possibly something the TARDIS could do to bring the Doctor back? The Master was brought back after death, although his return was messed up by Lucy Saxon.

The TARDIS saying that isn't meant to say she can keep him alive, but simply a simple witty boast to deflate his sales.

As for wine, the current Doctor is the ur example of the Cloud Cuckoolander spacecase, he does things like that all the time.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
What's that?
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I can tell you one thing - I'm getting tired of seeing Amy and Rory wearing the same outfits. Did the Doctor jettison the wardrobe, too?
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of tired of seeing Amy wearing outfits too.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I think that would be an entirely different show.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Rory's standard outfit should be an large orange parka.

Also, the Doctor really should change the password on the TARDIS. It seems like just about anyone can get in and mess with it now.

edit:

Did people really think that the Pandorica double parter was any good? I thought it was terrible in a "none of this makes any sense from the central concept on down" sort of way.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
I think Rory's standard outfit should be an large orange parka.

I think it should be an engineering/security uniform from the original Star Trek. Red shirt and all.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

"The Almost People" was shown today in the U.K. but will air next week in the U.S. I'm hoping it will still be on Amazon tomorrow ... I read a few comments about the show and am getting a bit anxious.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa, how often does the doctor change bodies? If he lasts as much as 200 years at a time, then you could have all the events CaySedai talks about applying to one incarnation of Dr. Who. Even after 200 years, I think someone would remember if they like or dislike the taste of something. If you have a change of body in there, then that would reasonably explain such extreme forgetfulness.

Well, either that or else the writers weren't being reasonable. That happens too.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Ron, I was referring to the 11th Doctor, so the same version, in other words. I thought it was odd that in one episode (The Lodger), he tries wine and doesn't like it. In a later episode (The Impossible Astronaut), 200 years in his future in the same regeneration, he drinks wine (saying he must have tried it in 1100+ years) and doesn't like it. I was wondering if there was a reason behind this (some clue or something that we'll understand later).

In my experience watching Doctor Who since the late '70s, when the Doctor regenerates, he changes appearance. When he changed to the 11th Doctor, he said "new body, new rules" to Amy about not knowing what he liked to eat. So I think it's highly unlikely that he would regenerate and still have the same appearance.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Well, the 10th Doctor did regenerate without changing his appearance. But presumably that didn't change his tastes, either.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I really enjoyed the two-parter, and that last episode really shook everything up.

What a scary ending! Can't wait for next week!

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

It didn't show up on my Amazon video library. :-( So now, I can find it somewhere online or wait a week.
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on a cross-country trip and spotted a TARDIS7 license plate (along with other Doctor Who paraphernalia). Managed to snag a photo that I'll put online at some point.

[ May 29, 2011, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Almost people was awesome, was actually plot important!
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend has been recording some of this season's episodes of Doctor Who to send to me--since he knows I don't get BBC-America on my cable TV. I asked him if it were true that Doctor Who visits America, and he said yes--in the very first two-part episode, he visits President Richard Nixon in the White House to warn him about the aliens that you forget about as soon as you look away from them. I can't wait to get the videotape. Sounds really interesting. I would like to see how the Brits portray President Nixon.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
A friend has been recording some of this season's episodes of Doctor Who to send to me--since he knows I don't get BBC-America on my cable TV. I asked him if it were true that Doctor Who visits America, and he said yes--in the very first two-part episode, he visits President Richard Nixon in the White House to warn him about the aliens that you forget about as soon as you look away from them. I can't wait to get the videotape. Sounds really interesting. I would like to see how the Brits portray President Nixon.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Spoiler
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Spoiler:

I noticed that the doctor gets replicated before he loses his shoes. It's pretty obvious that the shoes are going to be the key between distinguishing between the real doctor (new shoes) and the doppelganger (old shoes). I went back and checked. The Doctor who was killed in episode 1 was wearing the old shoes. It might not mean anything, The Doctor could change his shoes hundreds of times over the course of 2 centuries, but then again it might. I'll be watching to see if The Doctor keeps the new shoes.

Nice catch.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Looking ahead, I see that the next episode is also part 1 of 2, and the second part will be in September. I've been spoiled by being able to watch whole seasons of stuff on Netflix and have no patience with waiting months between episodes.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Years of waiting for the end of BSG makes this seem like easy small potatoes. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:

Fairly.

You could y'know, use a thing called bitorrent.

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Blayne, what is "bitorrent"?
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I hope this is cryptic enough to not spoil things for anyone but clear enough for those who have seen the episode ...

I watched "The Almost People" again, knowing who is who this time. I had suspected the thing about the shoes. And I think the turning point with Amy would be during the time they were on the run trying to find out about the Silence - that's the only time I can figure she wasn't with someone else.

And this takes out my theory about the end of "Amy's Choice" where the Doctor saw the Dream Lord after he got rid of the psychic pollen. (Edited to add: My theory was that some residue of the pollen was making Amy see the eyepatch lady. Or something.)

[ May 30, 2011, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: CaySedai ]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Whats interesting and fridge horrory is that Amy just told the real doctor shes seen him die.
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

I'm not sure you understand the concept of "fridge horror". You should check out his handy reference.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Spades:
I'm not sure you understand the concept of "fridge horror". You should check out his handy reference.

Good show! I'm glad you had the foresight to provide a link! God forgive I forget to link people to such an awesome site, also known as Tvtropes for those who wonder, it has a fascinating array of tropes in which to discuss and categorize for people.

It would be an absolute shame of me to forget even once, to provide the obligatory link! Nay, it is my duty to do so! And thus I am glad that you saw fit to step into the deep chasmy void of my negligence to take over for me in this instance, or else people would accuse me of dialing my fanaticism down a few notches.

And we cannot have that.

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, reading that description (how I hate that site - it's like a temporal black hole) - there's lots of 'fridge horror' in the end of that episode.

Just not quite where Blayne's pointing IMO.

The more you start thinking about what seems to have been really happening and what is about to happen, the squickier it gets.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

SPOILERY SPECULATION

I'm wondering what made the Doctor focus on the flesh in regards to Amy. I know he was doing a scan on her every episode since "Day of the Moon," but it always came up the same. So what's different? Did the Tardis say something? (I'll have to watch "The Doctor's Wife" again.)

Throughout "The Almost People" I kept thinking of it like identical twins. If you married one twin who died, you wouldn't want to have the other one just step into that life and take it over. And what about Rory? If Amy's been gone since "Day of the Moon" then he's been sleeping with someone who was not really Amy - not the Amy he thought she was.

Has anyone else seen the baby's name?

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
SPOILERY SPECULATION

If Amy's been gone since "Day of the Moon" then he's been sleeping with someone who was not really Amy - not the Amy he thought she was.

Squick.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

The Doctor I believe has always suspected but could only confirm it by going to an early point of the gangers history to confirm (due to how developed they become later; ie the Lady Cassandra from season 1 with Nine was a late version of a ganger I think).
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm. More spoilery stuff.
I didn't think it was like identical twins.

At least until the storm, the people are "driving" the gangers, aren't they? And they remember all of their experiences while they were controlling the gangers. I think that while it was a flesh Amy, the real Amy was actually in there. She was experiencing the contractions of her real body while her flesh one was walking around. Way back in the beginning of "The Rebel Flesh" she was getting stomach cramps and the doctor would tell her to breathe.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
SPOILERY SPECULATION

If Amy's been gone since "Day of the Moon" then he's been sleeping with someone who was not really Amy - not the Amy he thought she was.

Squick.
Yes, squick. But then, Amy did some heavy making out with plastic Roranicus. So it's just even stevens at this point.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

quote:
SPOILERY SPECULATION

If you married one twin who died, you wouldn't want to have the other one just step into that life and take it over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXmOYDpgEUY#t=01m
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I don't think Lady Cassandra was a ganger. She had a bunch of plastic surgeries ([url= http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Cassandra_O%27Brien.%CE%9417]708[/url]).

Rose kissing the human Doctor looked to me a little like "you want me to pick him, well see how you like it!" When she heard the Tardis engine, she ran toward it.

And Rory the Roman ... I don't know. Rory remembers being the Lone Centurian. But the gangers remember their originals' lives. [Dont Know]

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I really dont care about Doctor Who, due in part to my preferance to type Dr. But I know Niel Gaiman's episode has aired and I wondering if it is worth a watch.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

"The Doctor's Wife" was the best episode this season, I think.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really dont care about Doctor Who, due in part to my preferance to type Dr.
What is a preference for type Dr?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

A preference to type "Dr." instead of "Doctor" on a keyboard.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
A preference to type "Dr." instead of "Doctor" on a keyboard.

That seems like a really bizarre reason to reject or dislike something. There is no reason that watching Dr. Who requires one to type anything about the show let alone abandoned the non-abbreviated form.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I notice it every time I have had to purposly alter my grammer, who does Who think he is?

Just a little joke, thats all. In reality I dont care for Doctor Who for no particular reason, Im just not into it but I am a big fan of Niel Gaiman and will go ahead and bittorrent that episode now.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

I prefer to type "grammar".
Dobbie
Member # 3881

Also "purposely".
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
"The Doctor's Wife" was the best episode this season, I think.

Spoiler

While I think its a great episode, it made it more obvious to me why I don't really like 11. He doesn't seem to connect with people. Sexy did a great job of showing the deep affection/love she had for The Doctor. But 11's performance kind of felt flat for me. His affection/love for her and excitement at finally being able to talk with his companion of centuries just wasn't at all convincing. It has me worried about how he will handle falling in love with River Song. He's great at flirtation, but I doubt Matt Smith can portray the deeper love story effectively.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Inspired by a conversation with Nathan re: the recent discussion that the Daleks are going to be retired as villains for a while....

"The problem's all inside your head," she said to me;
"The answer's easy if you take it logically.
"I'd like to help you save the entire galaxy.
"There must be fifty ways to defeat Daleks."

She said, "I won't pretend that we can escape by the stairs;
"now they have emitters they can slowly float up there.
"But really, Doc, you know that there's no reason to despair:
"there must be fifty ways to defeat Daleks."

Just cover its eyes, guys,
then gum up its hose, Rose.
Shoot it in the back, Jack,
and open its dome.

Just give it some hell, Mel;
blow it into space, Grace;
go teach it some games, Ames,
then send in your clone.

She said, "It grieves me so when you regenerate;
you're running out of lives for them to exterminate."
I said, "I appreciate that.
"So would you please explain about the fifty ways?"

She said, "Why don't we open up this panel on the right
"to swap their Factors so they'll all switch sides and fight?"
And then she kissed me and I realized she probably was right:
there must be fifty ways to defeat Daleks.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Love it Tom. It makes me wonder how many Dalek stories they've already done. I'd rather not see another 25 or 30 before they retire them.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
quote:
SPOILERY SPECULATION

If you married one twin who died, you wouldn't want to have the other one just step into that life and take it over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXmOYDpgEUY#t=01m
Except that he wasn't a twin. He split off late enough that he shared all the same memories with her that the original did.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Seriously. I really enjoyed the first part enough already, but the full version is gold. [Smile]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I loved the Gaiman episode, even watched the Doctor Who Confidential as well. If more of the series dealt with why/who/where and the how of the Doctor I might dive deeper into it, but I know enough to understand that the mystery is too much apart of the show and its basic premise.
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
As promised, https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/254314_203361799708611_100001043775795_593862_2637546_n.jpg
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.