FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fantasy Football 2012....league is set up, come on in!!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Fantasy Football 2012....league is set up, come on in!!!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I never know anymore. I look at my lineup and think, hm, not bad, but three games in I'm positive I'll have made all the wrong choices and it'll be crap.

I made a pretty safe pick for my top choice. And I was actually sort of surprised there were so many good wideouts 23 picks later. But I picked up way too many RBs for my bench where I should have grabbed wideouts.

I went after IDP players pretty early on as well and grabbed some top talent, but I have no idea how well they'll pan out. I had IDP players that did consistently better than some of my offense last year, we'll see.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You got Welker, so I have no sympathy for you at all. And Rodgers....

According to our league page, you won the medal for "Best Draft", so I'd say you did fine. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Really? Snazzy.

I'll bet it's like the Madden Curse though.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I just let the auto draft fill in for me. Every time I do that instead of obsessing over managing it I've done better overall - even winning the league I was in one year. Doesn't seem like I did too bad...
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

What team are you, Godric?

Lyr....I sure HOPE so! [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Hmmm....AP and MDJ both on my bench for game 1....not how I wanted the season to start. [Big Grin]

If they get working, I might have a decent team though. [Big Grin]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm rooting for AP to have a big setback.

I have Toby Gerhart in my big pay league, and I could really use the boost since I'm thin at running back.

But in return, I'll root for MJD to get up to speed fast. Though, of Chris Johnson's hold out season last year is any indication, MJD might be in for a rough year.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I bet they are both fine by week 3. If not...well, I have backups. [Big Grin]
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
In the other league we play, rosters lock before the first game of the week and lineups lock each player five minutes before his game. I can't find out when those lock in this league. Anyone?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm pretty sure the only spots that lock are when the game actually starts. So you should be able to change, if you have Monday night guys on the bench and the roster, right up to the last game.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
What about add/drops or trades?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Once you clear waivers before the start of the week, you should be able to do adds and drops right up to the last minute as well, but the guys you add and drop must not have already played as well.

I'm not sure about trades. I think a lot of them only take effect after the following week, but it might depend on when you initiate the trade.

Kwea?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Make sure you all take a look at your lineups tonight. It's the first game of the season!
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
What team are you, Godric?

Gamblers.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Lyr hit it on the head. You can change until right about kickoff, maybe 5 min before. As far as adds and drops, you can't drop someone who has played that week, or add someone who played that week.

There is a 3 day approval period for trades, where people have a right to vote to block a trade. After that, the trade processes.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I bet you wished you had started Ogletree eh Kwea?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

No one in my other two leagues even drafted him. I'm rolling Dez Bryant in my family league, but Ogletree is snaking all the TDs.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ugh, one game in and already all my picks for the week are busts.

Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah. I grabbed him from the wavier wire, but now I have an embarrassment of riches at WR.

Him, Bryant, Lloyd, Jackson, Amedola, and Torrey Smith. And only 3 slots to play WR's.

With AP and MDJ both half time RB's for a week or three, depending on health and timing...

If they get healthy, I am going to have a hell of a team for the second half of the season, though.
Even if they don't, I have some good options....Pead and Rodgers are good, although not what I would call FT backs.

I did pick up Ingram, but the NO RB situation is complicated, with him, Sproles and Thomas all sharing RB duties.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I'm betting on Sproles personally.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Especially with the returns, yes.

Superstation only had one player active, but he barely outperformed our estimate (which was higher than Yahoo's estimate). We have a lot of people playing on Monday, so at least we'll pretty much know what we need to accomplish.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I have had Sproles on every team I have ever had before this year.....and had I not been autodrafting in R1, I would have taken him first. I think Ingram will be the #1 RB, but Sproles will outperform him due to the return yardage.

He is a great player.

Kwea
Member # 2199

2 days!!!
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
So as a person who has never played but has always wanted to learn where do you suggest I figure the whole fantasy football thing out?
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Wendybird, it might be a bit of a challenge to find a league that hasn't started yet as kickoff was this past Wednesday.

But just find one, join up and call it a "learning year" and don't expect to win...and we can answer questions as they pop up.

Unfortunately the Hatrack League is already going and can't accept new members as far as I know...but you can join next year after learning how this one!

Kwea
Member # 2199

I like the way YahooSports does their website and leagues. It's pretty cool. I am sorry, but SW is right, we have already started, but if you have any questions let us know and I am sure we will try and help you. [Big Grin]

Basically, you pick a bunch of players, and the computer tracks how they do week to week for you. Depending on what the league sets up, you get specific numbers of "points" for specific things....like rushing TD's, passing yards and TD'd....and you earn a score each week based on how each of the players you chose to play do.

You have choices to make each week, because your team gets bench plays too. For instance, I have a lot of good wide receivers, so I have to pick and choose who I will play, based on who their team is playing and how well I think each player plays. It's pretty frustrating when you sit a player and he blows the other team out of the water. [Big Grin]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

I don't like the fact that the stattracker doesn't distinguish between a player who has 1 minute left in his game and a player who doesn't start until tomorrow. CBS shows total minutes remaining, which is a much more useful number.

I think Superstation was asking earlier about where the "smack talk" place was. I might have to find that for him.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ugh.

I'm on track to lose all three of my games today. This is just not a good week.

The thing I hate even more than losing is when one or two players have dynamite weeks and it's wasted because a bunch of others stink up the field. I just want to save those good weeks and move them around.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Lyr, nah, you are winning, and have more players yet to play then the Bombs.

Congrats to Superstaion on a great debut! It looks like you will end up with the high score for week one!

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

On his behalf, I thank you. I don't think we can count on these kinds of numbers week in and week out, but it sure is a nice way to start.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Lyr, nah, you are winning, and have more players yet to play then the Bombs.

Congrats to Superstaion on a great debut! It looks like you will end up with the high score for week one!

Yeah things took a weird turn in the second half of that Broncos game for me. Now it looks like I'm going to win two of my games.

If Ray Rice has a terrible, terrible game tomorrow I could even win all three. I'm going to be a little pissy when I lose my pay league game though. I'm probably going to have the second highest score in the league and still lose. I HATE it when that happens.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

If Ray Rice is going to have a terrible, terrible game, this is the week we'd like him to do it.

Mooselet had the slimmest of hopes going into tonight's game -- he needed for Peyton Manning to do nothing and for the Denver DST to do nothing. At first it was like little nails in the coffin. By the end, they had nailed the coffin shut, glued it, duct-taped it, and buried it in cement.

Unless Antonio Gates scores about six touchdowns tomorrow. Only player the boys' two teams have in common.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I sat AP AND MJD. Not my brightest moment, but it's early in the season...
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Papa Moose:
If Ray Rice is going to have a terrible, terrible game, this is the week we'd like him to do it.

Mooselet had the slimmest of hopes going into tonight's game -- he needed for Peyton Manning to do nothing and for the Denver DST to do nothing. At first it was like little nails in the coffin. By the end, they had nailed the coffin shut, glued it, duct-taped it, and buried it in cement.

Unless Antonio Gates scores about six touchdowns tomorrow. Only player the boys' two teams have in common.

I needed Manning to do nothing in my other league as well, and he was doing great for awhile. Even that long bomb he threw went to my wideout, so I picked up like 20 pts from Demaryius Thomas, but then he tossed that one yarder and ruined it.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Well, if anyone on SD was going to have the kind of game we need, it'd be (a healthy) Gates. But it just ain't gonna happen.

The bomb to Thomas pretty much killed us (that's when I told Mooselet I thought it was over), but it just kept getting worse. If the second half had matched the first half we would've had a tough time (Denver's DST), but it was possible.

Out of curiosity, who are all the team managers? I recognize some, of course, but have no idea on a few.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

My team is really hard to spot [Razz]
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

So I spent most of last week agonizing over who to start at QB: Robert Griffin, Alex Smith or Russell Wilson. Turns out I should have given more thought to my kicker. Mason Crosby earned me 2 points starting, while Matt Bryant earned 17 points on my bench.

Doh! [Wall Bash]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I am Brillo's Bombers, of course. [Big Grin]
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Heya Kwea, can you explain why the scores went all wonky last night? From about 11 pm til sometime in the early morning everyone's points were funk a doodle (my match-up went from 138-118 to 58-97).
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

They do scoring adjustments during the night. You'll see the changes in blue and if you click on them it'll have an explanation for why, but sometimes during the course of those changes they wackify all the scores as they remove certain players from the tallies.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Not just that, but the site had a hiccup, and all the scores went wonky there. That's the first time I ever saw it do that.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

"Mind if I sit?" Superstation didn't have to turn around to know it was Stone Wolf.

"Ho Stone," said Superstation. "Sit."

"You gold-plated fart," said Stone cheerfully. "We're all trying to decide whether your scores up there are a miracle or a mistake."

"A habit," said Superstation.

"One victory is not a habit," Stone said. "Don't get cocky. . . ."

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

[Smile]

Indeed.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Meh. We will see. Your team is good, but Matt Ryan won't score 30+ even every OTHER week for you.

[Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I STILL don't know how I didn't do better last season. I hold the record for smallest margin of defeat for a season, all time, for as long as we have been on Yahoo. [Smile]

I had Rivers at QB, Welker, Bryant and Garcon at WR, Sproles and Rice at RB, and Hernandez at TE. I had good backups....Lynch, Torrey Smith, Vernon Davis. And I had 5 defensive players over 110 points.

On paper I should have done much better. [Big Grin]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Lots of commentators have put Matt Ryan on top of their QB sleeper charts. He has two top flight wideouts, a good backup core, and one great RB who can take the pressure off them. Plus he has a great arm.

Could be a banner year.

Everyone should pay attention tonight, there's a Thursday night game. Packers and Bears.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Not saying he won't do great, but 34 points a week? I doubt it. He is hardly a sleeper though, he has been a top 5 QB for the past 2-3 years now.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

This game is a disaster!

Rogers is going to sink all three of my teams! And Forte going off the field is going to kill my family league.

Worst week ever.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Poor Forte, he was my bread and butter last year (and Rodgers)...glad I have Michael Bush.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Wasn't around to pay attention to the game, but neither Mooselet nor Superstation, nor either of their opponents, had any active players in the game.

Until some time after about an hour before game time, when Mooselet's opponent activated Crosby in place of Kaeding. 17 points from the kicker. Ouch. Stafford and Johnson better connect this week. A lot.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.