FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The They Said A Thing thread (Page 10)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: The They Said A Thing thread
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, if Trump is legitimately trolling the GOP base, he's doing it masterfully. I sincerely doubt that's the case, but if he were to pull out in the 11th hour and say "you're all a bunch of idiots for believing any of this crap", I'd laugh my ass off.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still rooting for the reveal where he pulls off his mask and scalp-rodent and it's Andy Kaufman, ten years into the longest and greatest performance con of all time
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz is the latest presidential candidate trying to downplay the role anti-abortion rhetoric may have played in motivating the Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado Springs Friday afternoon. When a reporter asked him at an Iowa campaign stop Sunday evening about suspect Robert Lewis Dear saying he was motivated by “no more baby parts,” Cruz countered that he’s also been reported to be a “transgendered [sic] leftist activist.”

Cruz explained, “We know that he was a man registered to vote as a woman.” This discrepancy on Dear’s voter registration was first reported by The Gateway Pundit, a self-described “right-of-center news website,” under the claim that he “identifies as [a] woman.” Conservatives have since run with the claim that Dear is transgender.

ok
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I think The Gateway Pundit may have gotten that idea from a Reddit comment.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Meanwhile.
quote:
Donald Trump is once again alone at the top of the Republican field, according to the latest CNN/ORC Poll, with 36% of registered Republicans and Republican-leaning independents behind him, while his nearest competitor trails by 20 points.
The CNN/ORC Poll was conducted by telephone November 27 through December 1 among a random national sample of 1,020 adults. Interviews were conducted with 930 registered voters, including 445 who are Republicans or independents who lean toward the Republican Party.

That seems to work out to 15.7% of Americans (.36*(445/1020))*100

In other words, there are more Americans that think Trump is currently the best choice to lead the country than are black. (Roughly the same percentage of Americans that are not-religious)

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
The president of Liberty University urged students at the Christian school to carry concealed weapons on campus to counter any possible armed attack like the mass killings in San Bernardino, Calif.

"Let's teach them a lesson if they ever show up here," President Jerry Falwell Jr. told students at a convocation Friday.

The call-to-arms was met with rousing applause from students, but some said Falwell went too far when he appeared to be referring specifically to Muslims, the News & Advance reported.

"I've always thought if more good people had concealed carry permits, then we could end those Muslims before they walked in," Falwell said.

ok
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Meanwhile.
quote:
Donald Trump is once again alone at the top of the Republican field, according to the latest CNN/ORC Poll, with 36% of registered Republicans and Republican-leaning independents behind him, while his nearest competitor trails by 20 points.
The CNN/ORC Poll was conducted by telephone November 27 through December 1 among a random national sample of 1,020 adults. Interviews were conducted with 930 registered voters, including 445 who are Republicans or independents who lean toward the Republican Party.

That seems to work out to 15.7% of Americans (.36*(445/1020))*100

In other words, there are more Americans that think Trump is currently the best choice to lead the country than are black. (Roughly the same percentage of Americans that are not-religious)

Not quite, the sample is of adults, so the total sample is representative of about 77% of the population. Since you don't have numbers for non-adults, you can't say accurately where his support lies between about 12-15%.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Correction accepted.

Of course if we accept the that we don't have the numbers for non-adults, we can't even say accurately where Trump's support lies between 12% and 35% [Wink]

[ December 08, 2015, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Mucus ]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
DONALD TRUMP: "hork hork whoooarrmmm bleed floobl gnuk-gnuk loodleoodle blerrrrrroooarrrrrp eek loopdit squorrrrrrrrrrdddddddddddddd"
ok
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to need a source for that one.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Correction accepted.

Of course if we accept the that we don't have the numbers for non-adults, we can't even say accurately where Trump's support lies between 12% and 35% [Wink]

A good point. We can with some confidence say that it is probably on the downside of 15%.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
DONALD TRUMP: "hork hork whoooarrmmm bleed floobl gnuk-gnuk loodleoodle blerrrrrroooarrrrrp eek loopdit squorrrrrrrrrrdddddddddddddd"
ok
I think we've just uncovered something significant: Donald Trump is a Vogon.
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
quote:
ok
That would explain a great many things. I guess he's trying to blow up Earth to build a new super highway.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wingracer:
quote:
quote:
quote:
ok
That would explain a great many things. I guess he's trying to blow up Earth to build a new super highway.
It's going to be YUUUUUGE!
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
quote:
quote:
ok
We're gonna look at a lot of freddled gruntbuggly, going to try a lot of stuff with that. That's what America is looking for, for some real good micturations, plurdled gabbleblotchits, it's gonna be great, I can tell you that much, it's gonna be huge. Lurgid mordiously and all that, we're gonna change that, that I can tell you.

Its earted jurtles, that's what people used to say about us, but now they say we're rancid festering confectious organ squealer. We need strong jurpling slayjid agrocrustles, if we're gonna get things done, strong negotiation, I tell you, we go up straight hagrilly up the axlegrurts, And I negotiate straight to their face, I get right to the living glupules frart and slipulate, I'm a strong negotiator, that's what people listen to. People respect that I have jowling meated liverslime, Groop, you gotta be tough.

I'm reminded of what this guy I know, he's a great guy, he's a great guy with his foonting turling dromes, he told me, "Trump, hooptiously drangle me, with crinkly bindlewurdles," and I told him, yeah, there's no time to relax, I go out there and get what needs to be done done, I make deals, I tell people you gotta make deals or else I shall rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, See if I don't. I'm getting things done, people respect that.

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Respectable execution.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Needs more:
A lot of people agree with me on this
A lot of people are saying that
There's a lot of people that think it's a good idea
I'm ahead in all of the polls, therefore I'm right

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“These internal documents show the Obama Administration took the nation’s creditworthiness and economy hostage in a cynical attempt to create a crisis so the President could get what he wanted during negotiations over the debt ceiling,” said House Financial Services Chairman Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas).
link

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Wait what? This is like blaming a kidnapped child's parents for endangering their child's life by being rich.
scifibum
Member # 7625

I'm so completely sick of the politics that take the place of governing in Congress.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
Never trust a man named Jeb.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

quote:
Wait what? This is like blaming a kidnapped child's parents for endangering their child's life by being rich.

Seriously. Or kvetching that your hostage quickly tucked a cellphone in their pants while you weren't looking with the intent to use it if they had to.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus there is the part where it was more or less admitted by the far right congressional republicans that this was already about exactly what they did.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

ARISE, MY THREAD

NO POLITICAL SEASON CAN BE SO DUMB THAT NOTHING CAN RISE ABOVE THE BACKGROUND RADIATION OF TRUMP'S SUCCULENT NONSENSE

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Earlier today, Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, put a new spin on his “gay island” story, arguing on the House floor that the push for LGBT rights is wrong because we would never choose to send gay couples or gay animals into space to start a new colony like in the Matt Damon movie “The Martian.”

He said that if lawmakers had to decide “whether humanity would go forward or not” in case of an imminent asteroid collision by putting people in a “space ship that can go, as Matt Damon did in the movie, plant a colony somewhere, we can have humans survive this terrible disaster about to befall, if you could decide what 40 people you put on the spacecraft that would save humanity, how many of those would be same-sex couples? You’re wanting to save humankind for posterity, basically a modern-day Noah, you have that ability to be a modern day Noah, you can preserve life. How many same-sex couples would you take from the animal kingdom and from humans to put on a spacecraft to perpetuate humanity and the wildlife kingdom?”

But due to the attacks on “natural order” and religious freedom, Gohmert said, “we don’t have much longer to go.”

Gohmert also cited the work of Jonathan Cahn, a far-right End Times preacher who believes God is punishing America (and France) due to gay marriage with events such as the 9/11 attacks, to assert that the end is near.

He also claimed that transgender people are disordered and “perverse” individuals who need help.

ok
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

I'm still getting over Trump's self congratulation over Muslims being worthy of suspicion and embargos as a group.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
With every month, it has become clearer that Trump is a makeshift politician, whose rancid wit resides in his willingness to say whatever it takes to arouse the fears of a political base. He might have started his campaign with the idea of winning some votes and publicity, increasing his profile as a marketing whiz, and then dropping out. Good for business! But now that he has stunned the political world—and, likely, himself—he has shown little inclination (or, perhaps, capacity) to grow into his role, to modify his language, be it for the sake of the Republican establishment or of simple decency. He’ll have none of that. Whatever inflates his sense of self and prods the anxieties of the country—that’s what works for him.
http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/donald-trumps-exploitation-of-orlando
Elcheeko75
Member # 13292

- posted      Profile for Elcheeko75   Email Elcheeko75         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pastor Roger Jimenez of the Verity Baptist Church is seen a YouTube video of his recent sermon calling the clubgoers who were killed at the Pulse nightclub "pedophiles."

"Are you sad that 50 pedophiles were killed today?" he asked his Sacramento congregation in the sermon. "Um – no – I think that's great! I think that helps society. I think Orlando, Florida, is a little safer tonight."

Wowzers.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Bc all people at a night club molest children??? [Angst]
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Homosexuals.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, so he didn't mean Latinos?

They're really hitting across a lot of demographics.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

I'm pretty sure he meant all Orlandoans are pedophiles.
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

- posted      Profile for Heisenberg           Edit/Delete Post 
8/10 quality pisstaking
Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by Heisenberg:
8/10 quality pisstaking

[Dont Know]
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

Oh, come on. You still don't get it?

What the hell, might as well charge that windmill.

On the face of it, your lament that this pastor was saying that all club goers are pedophiles was pretty ridiculous. When you claim not to know that the pastor celebrating the death of pedophiles after a gay club shooting is talking about gays, it's going to raise eyebrows.

You were either deliberately being obtuse, or you are astoundingly ignorant of the labels and smears that homosexuals have faced in the past and even today. Others decided to poke fun of you for it. "Are we sure it wasn't Hispanics? Florida has a lot of Hispanics! Or maybe he just hates people who live in Orlando!"

I'll give you a pass on not being familiar on the term "taking the piss," as it is primarily British. It means to subtlety make fun of someone, to their face, in a way that they often don't know that it's occurring.

Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Didn't know it was a gay club...been a busy week.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Maybe you are putting too much time/thought into this?
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Didn't know it was a gay club...been a busy week.

Since you knew about the attack and that it was a nightclub, I'm going to go ahead and blame this on the way right leaning media and public figures have been conspicuously dropping this detail from their remarks.

Go read this:
http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2016/06/17/3789595/orlando-shooting-lgbt-erasure/

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Maybe you are not putting in enough? Once again, teensy bit of research before you posted would have helped you out here.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

quote:

I guess it depends on definitions. If your definition of too much time and thought is "I watched/read the news and paid the bare minimum of attention," well then, I plead guilty.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I was aware of a gay hate shooting, I just wasn't aware they were one and the same.

As to my suggestion to H...the "this" I was referring to wasn't this thread or site...I meant the time and effort he put into trying to slam me.

I do not care to watch the news. Anything of subsequent import will be discussed in the media savvy outlets I do follow. This being one of them.

*Totally get the misunderstanding tho

Heisenberg
Member # 13004

Lol. Time and effort? I don't know how much time and effort it takes you to think up and write two or three paragraphs, but it's really not a drain on me.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

K. Your time is your own.

Just saying, it is wasted...I don't need your help to look foolish...and you only lower yourself in that effort, by my way of thinking.

Rest assured, I kno how strongly you feel my personal character is lacking...you weren't shy before.

Whatevs

Heisenberg
Member # 13004

Ever the martyr, eh? For what it's worth, what I've said in the past was that you were acting shitty. I never said anything about you as a person.

But, as you say, whatevs. In the future when you've made a foolish statement, are being mocked, and genuinely don't seem to understand why, I'll just let it sit as is.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

This is utterly false. You repeatedly called me names, til I had to threaten you with moderation.

You can play the nice guy if you like, I know it's not true Tittles...I bet you do too.

Heisenberg
Member # 13004

Actually, what I predicted was that you were going to act passive aggressive, childish, and...something else, honestly can't be assed to go back and check. A prediction that you immediately fulfilled. Nice to see the passive aggressiveness is still going strong, though. I'm sure it's serving you well.

Oh, and your threat of moderation? I laughed at it then and I still am now.

Goddamned windmills. Get me every time.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Oh, so he didn't mean Latinos?

They're really hitting across a lot of demographics.

quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
I'm pretty sure he meant all Orlandoans are pedophiles.

Just checking in here guys...are you ribbing me as Heisenberg is suggesting?

I -highly- doubt it, simply considering who is talking...half of the nicest people on the board (the other half is PapaMoose and CT and BobS).

scifibum
Member # 7625

SW, I initially thought you were joking and I think there's a chance they thought so too.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
SW, I initially thought you were joking and I think there's a chance they thought so too.

Very likely true!
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.