FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The They Said A Thing thread (Page 7)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  12  13  14   
Author Topic: The They Said A Thing thread
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
TAPPER: Governor Jindal, I'm afraid you didn't answer the question. How do you strike the balance between vigilance and discrimination?

Obviously, we know how you feel about the vigilance part of this. Do you ever see the discrimination part of it?

JINDAL: Sure, I don't think a 14-year-old should ever get arrested for bringing a clock to school. So, if you're asking me I'm glad he wasn't -- he was released. I'm glad that police are careful. I'm glad they are worried about security and safety issues.

Look, in America we don't tolerate them. The biggest discrimination is going on against Christian business owners and individuals who believe in traditional forms of marriage. They are throwing this woman in jail in Kentucky.

(APPLAUSE)

Let's talk about that. Let's talk about the Christian florist, the caterer, the musician, who simply want to say, don't arrest us for having -- or don't discriminate against us, don't shut down our businesses, don't fine us thousands of dollars for believing marriage is between a man and a woman. Lets talk about not discriminating against Christians.

ok
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
JINDAL: I've got a practical question. I'd like the left to give us a list of jobs that Christians aren't allowed to have. If we're not allowed to be clerks, bakers, musicians, caterers, are we allowed to be pastors (INAUDIBLE)?

TAPPER: Governor Jindal...

JINDAL: We're not allowed to be elected officials. I firmly -- this is an important point. The First Amendment rights, the right to religious freedom is in the First Amendment of "The Constitution." It isn't breaking the law to exercise our constitutional rights. America did not create religious liberty, religious liberty created the United States of America. It is the reason we're here today.

ok
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I am still busy being appalled by Jeb Bush's claim that his brother "kept us safe". Except for when he really really didn't.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we're going to be hearing more of that considering it earned one of the biggest applause lines of the night and the only time Jeb managed to stump Donald.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

SO he "kept us safe" except for when we were attacked. And except for those of us he sent to their deaths.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

He means that he kept the homeland safe after the attack
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Donald Trump has linked vaccinations to what he dubbed an autism “epidemic” during a presidential debate.

Mr Trump, who is the current frontrunner among the Republican presidential hopefuls, claimed autism rates have risen into an “epidemic” over the last few decades that is “totally out of control”.

“Autism has become an epidemic. 25 years ago, 35 years ago, you look at the statistics, it’s not even close. It has gotten totally out of control,” he said.

The property developer and TV personality said he had evidence of a relationship between autism and vaccinations after seeing an employee’s child diagnosed with the disability following an adverse reaction to a vaccine.

ok
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
He means that he kept the homeland safe after the attack

How does that even make sense? Horse->barndoor closing.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Do you think 9/11 was Bush's fault?

I don't really see how the analogy applies. Because there was already a terrorist attack doesn't mean there is no sense in attempting to prevent further attacks.

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's any evidence that GWB headed off any other large scale attacks either, though. There were successful terror attacks after 9/11 during his presidency, and more Americans died in the Iraq war than on 9/11.

I think what Jeb Bush means is that his brother did a lot of security theater, and there wasn't a second 9/11 attack, therefore=success.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I agree. I didn't mean that I thought Jeb was correct. Just quibbling over semantics.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anyone said that it's Bush's fault, just that it's hard to say that someone kept us safe when we were attacked. Jeb also didn't say anything along the lines of "after the attack."
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin is following her daughter’s lead in criticizing Obama’s invitation to a Texas teen detained for bringing a kit clock to school.

A homemade clock crafted by 14-year-old Ahmed Mohamed looked nothing like a clock, the one-time vice president candidate said on Facebook sharing a photo of its jumbled parts.

“That’s a clock, and I’m the queen of England,” Palin wrote Saturday.

While a world of scientists and engineers rallied around the MacArthur High School student, Palin dismissed the Irving teenager as only “an evidently obstinate-answering student” who deserved to be arrested by authorities

ok
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
At first glance of the pic, his clock does look pretty suspicious because it looks like it's in a briefcase. Once you notice the 9 volt battery clip and realize it's one of those tiny little pencil case things, there's just no excuse for hauling the kid off in handcuffs.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
there's just no excuse for hauling the kid off in handcuffs.
you mean no excuse besides 'well he's brown and his name is ahmed momuslimislamhammedterrorist or something, idk, DONT MESS WIF TEXAS'
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why conservative feeds have criticized Ahmed for not answering the police's questions and only repeating, "It's a clock." over and over.

If you don't have your parents (As a child) or a lawyer present, you stand to gain NOTHING by talking to police, and stand to lose EVERYTHING. There's a fantastic youtube video by an attorney that explains this.

Link.

Kid did the exact right thing refusing to answer police questions until he was released or given access to his parents/attorney.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
It's simple: not trusting the government is for good people (that is, conservatives dealing with the government, especially 'liberal' governments such as we have now). Then it's acceptable and Just What the Founders Wanted.

It's *not* ok for scary brown people with scary 'Muslim-sounding' names not to trust the authorities. They are after all according to a not insignificant group of republican conservative primary voters the actual problem in this country right now, along with our Muslim president who is also brown and has a scary Muslim name.

I'm not one to usually paint with such a harsh brush like this but right now? I think it really is that simple: the reason conservative feeds and people like Sarah ****ing Palin are on about this is that they're pandering to a vocal and powerful (for right now) segment of conservative voters who are whiny, racist, xenophobic, and convinced they are being persecuted.

According to another Trump supporter that kid should probably just get out of his country anyway. Brown AND Muslim sounding (whether he's Muslim or not)? Out.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
“Now what about the big bang theory,” said [Ben] Carson at speech to fellow Seventh-day Adventists titled “Celebration of Creation,” about the theory for the origin of the universe.

“I find the big bang, really quite fascinating. I mean, here you have all these high-faluting scientists and they’re saying it was this gigantic explosion and everything came into perfect order. Now these are the same scientists that go around touting the second law of thermodynamics, which is entropy, which says that things move toward a state of disorganization.

“So now you’re gonna have this big explosion and everything becomes perfectly organized and when you ask them about it they say, ‘Well we can explain this, based on probability theory because if there’s enough big explosions, over a long period of time, billions and billions of years, one of them will be the perfect explosion,” continued Carson. “So I say what you’re telling me is if I blow a hurricane through a junkyard enough times over billions and billions of years, eventually after one of those hurricanes there will be a 747 fully loaded and ready to fly.”

Carson added that he believed the big bang was “even more ridiculous” because there is order to the universe.

“Well, I mean, it’s even more ridiculous than that ‘cause our solar system, not to mention the universe outside of that, is extraordinarily well organized, to the point where we can predict 70 years away when a comet is coming,” he said. “Now that type of organization to just come out of an explosion? I mean, you want to talk about fairy tales, that is amazing.”

Later, Carson said he personally believed Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution was encouraged by the devil.

“I personally believe that this theory that Darwin came up with was something that was encouraged by the adversary, and it has become what is scientifically, politically correct,” said Carson.

“Amazingly, there are a significant number of scientists who do not believe it but they’re afraid to say anything,” Carson added, saying he would be writing a book, “The Organ of Species,” that shows how the organs of the body refute evolution.

ok
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So now you’re gonna have this big explosion and everything becomes perfectly organized and when you ask them about it they say, ‘Well we can explain this, based on probability theory because if there’s enough big explosions, over a long period of time, billions and billions of years, one of them will be the perfect explosion..."
I'm pretty sure this is not what they say.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't understand how it works, therefore it's wrong".
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
I see that principal get applied to common core math a lot. ("I don't understand this newfangled math stuff, so it's clearly wrong and stupid")
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
“It’s like, if all the tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail,” Santorum said. “Every problem that the State Department has, the answer is diplomacy. Why? Because if it’s not diplomacy, they don’t have a job.”
ok
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In a similar way, every time you bring an ailing person to a doctor, they always think "I'ma gonna do some doctoring."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/2015/09/25/maine-mayor-wants-publicize-names-and-addresses-welfare-recipients/k8uUfqdUQ6BCvCXxjjDrlO/story.html
NobleHunter
Member # 12043

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One of Boehner's aides told Politico that "the Speaker believes putting members through prolonged leadership turmoil would do irreparable damage to the institution" and that "he is proud of what this majority has accomplished, and his speakership, but for the good of the Republican Conference and the institution, he will resign the Speakership and his seat in Congress, effective October 30."
ok

Wait, what?

Posts: 185 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The cannibalizing of the GOP continues. Anybody who thinks shutting down the government is a bad idea must go!
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Kevin McCarthy accidentally admitted (by bragging, of all things) that the entire purpose of the benghazi committee is to use it as a taxpayer funded witchhunt to hurt hillary's poll numbers
scifibum
Member # 7625

It would be nice, sort of, if along with brinkmanship and do-nothingness his promotion came with an increase in embarrassing quotes to the venerated institution.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Kevin McCarthy accidentally admitted (by bragging, of all things) that the entire purpose of the benghazi committee is to use it as a taxpayer funded witchhunt to hurt hillary's poll numbers

Link?
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/30/politics/kevin-mccarthy-benghazi-committee-speaker/index.html
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Presidential candidate Jeb Bush made an eyebrow-raising comment in the wake of the Oregon school massacre -- saying "stuff happens" in response to a discussion about gun violence.

"Look stuff happens, there's always a crisis and the impulse is always to do something and it's not always the right thing to do," Bush said at the Conservative Leadership Project in Greenville, South Carolina, referring to taking away rights.

ok
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Really bad political speaking (and not a surprise coming from Jeb!), but I'm not as inclined to find this one especially damning. Even though I dispute vehemently the idea behind his words-that there's nothing that can really be done, that this is an unavoidable thing we do in America, etc...but the truth is Americans generally, myself included, *do* tend to think a mass shooting is just 'shit happens' in my experience. It's on the news a lot, but that seems to be the major discussion presence. Unless I'm an outlier there?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Really bad political speaking (and not a surprise coming from Jeb!), but I'm not as inclined to find this one especially damning. Even though I dispute vehemently the idea behind his words-that there's nothing that can really be done, that this is an unavoidable thing we do in America, etc...but the truth is Americans generally, myself included, *do* tend to think a mass shooting is just 'shit happens' in my experience. It's on the news a lot, but that seems to be the major discussion presence. Unless I'm an outlier there?

quote:
You Don't Pass a Pool Fencing Law After a Child Drowns, Says Jeb, Who Did Just That

“Stuff happens” was the dumbest and most unfortunate thing Jeb! Bush said Friday in reaction to the mass shooting at an Oregon community college one day earlier, but his fumbling attempt to clean up that mess was nearly as rife with dumbitude and non-fortune. :snippity:

“Look, stuff happens. There’s always a crisis and the impulse is always to do something, and it’s not necessarily the right thing to do.”

“A child drowned in a pool and the impulse is to pass a law that puts fencing around pools,” he said, “Well it may not change it. Or you have a car accident and the impulse is to pass a law that deals with that unique event. And the cumulative effect of this is, in some cases, you don’t solve the problem by passing the law, and you’re imposing on large numbers of people burdens that make it harder for our economy to grow, make it harder to protect liberty.”

A liberty-eroding, people-burdening law about pool fences is an oddly specific example. I wonder if any state has ever actually passed such a—

quote:
        After the House voted 109-8 for the bill on Friday, Preston met Gov. Jeb Bush, who committed to signing a bill that requires new pool owners to pick a way to keep unsupervised children out of the water.
    Oh.

That’s the Sun-Sentinel’s Tallahassee bureau, reporting in May 2000 on a law requiring pool fences, named after a child—Preston de Ibern—who nearly drowned. Florida’s Preston de Ibern/McKenzie Merriam Residential Swimming Pool Safety Act was pushed for three years by then-state rep. (and current Democratic National Committee chair) Debbie Wasserman Schultz, and finally signed by Gov. Jeb! despite its inherent imposition of burdens on large numbers of people.

Stuff happens. Also things. All the time.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Look Sam, you have experiences, ok, that doesn't mean you're supposed to LEARN from them.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
This comic seems surprisingly on the nose each time.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
"I would not just stand there and let him shoot me," Carson said on "Fox & Friends," as seen in the clip above. "I would say, 'Hey, guys, everybody attack him. He may shoot me, but he can’t get us all.'"
Thanks, Ben Carson, for solving the problem of gun violence!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

To be fair to Ben Carson, I have no doubt that he would in fact say, "Hey, guys, everybody attack him." And then take a couple steps backwards.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I love how after school shooting everyone tries to Hollywood what the shooting victims "should" have done and say they would have totally just john wayned the shit out of the event and assembled some students together and commanded them over fight or flight response and the natural shock and panic of a life or death situation
Samprimary
Member # 8561

carson is basically being the sadder larger SHAMEFULLY POLITICALLY RELEVANT spectacle akin to when basement dwellers talk about how they have honed their practical katana skills to save m'ladies in distress from street thugs
NobleHunter
Member # 12043

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if those people are the same ones who think military training is all about aiming weapons.

ETA: Tom, that's just a delightful condemnation of Carson's character.

Posts: 185 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Oh, wait, there's more:

quote:
“I never saw a body with bullet holes that was more devastating than taking the right to arm ourselves away,” Mr. Carson wrote.

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Okay. What.
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Carson makes me so mad. Growing up in the greater Baltimore area, Carson was a role model that we learned about in school all the time. And just seemed to be a really good guy with a really good story and someone anyone could and should look up to.

And now all of these things he's saying now. I just can't.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, everything Carson has been saying makes a portion of the GOP base (my brother in law included) like him even more.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
To be fair to Ben Carson, I have no doubt that he would in fact say, "Hey, guys, everybody attack him." And then take a couple steps backwards.

Yesterday he told a story of when someone pointed a gun at him in a Pop-Eyes restaurant, and he said, "I believe that you want the guy behind the counter." So much for "everybody attack him." More like "shoot him, not me!"
scifibum
Member # 7625

I am not sure I get Carson's appeal. Maybe it's because I hate anti-science views so much that it makes it hard for me to see what else there is.
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
It's because Republicans can claim they aren't racist.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Kai Ryssdal: Dr. Carson, good to have you with us.

Ben Carson: Good to be here….

Ryssdal: As you know, Treasury Secretary Lew has come out in the last couple of days and said, "We're gonna run out of money, we're gonna run out of borrowing authority, on the fifth of November." Should the Congress then and the president not raise the debt limit? Should we default on our debt?

Carson: Let me put it this way: if I were the president, I would not sign an increased budget.

Ryssdal: To be clear, it's increasing the debt limit, not the budget, but I want to make sure I understand you. You'd let the United States default rather than raise the debt limit.

Carson: No, I would provide the kind of leadership that says, "Get on the stick guys, and stop messing around, and cut where you need to cut, because we're not raising any spending limits, period."

Ryssdal: I'm gonna try one more time, sir. This is debt that's already obligated. Would you not favor increasing the debt limit to pay the debts already incurred?

Carson: What I'm saying is what we have to do is restructure the way that we create debt.

ok
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Yesterday he told a story of when someone pointed a gun at him in a Pop-Eyes restaurant, and he said, "I believe that you want the guy behind the counter." So much for "everybody attack him." More like "shoot him, not me!"
Well, that was a robbery, not a mass shooting.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Host Jan Mickelson said the modern criminal justice system has been “taken over by progressives,” and said punishment should be modeled instead of the Bible’s Old Testament Book of Exodus.

“It says, if a person steals, they have to pay it back two-fold, four-fold. If they don’t have anything, we’re supposed to take them down and sell them,” he said.

It’s better that prisoners be indentured so that they must “spend their time not sitting on their stump in a jail cell — they’re supposed to be working off debt… Wouldn’t that be a better choice?” Mickelson asked.

“Well, it really would be,” Huckabee responded. “Sometimes the best way to deal with a nonviolent criminal behavior is what you just suggested.”

It’s not the first time Mickelson has suggested the U.S. return to one of its worst historical legacies. In August, Mickelson asked, “Well, what’s wrong with slavery?” while suggesting that undocumented immigrants be turned into slaves rather than deported.

quote:
Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee seemingly endorsed “biblical” slavery over the modern prison system on Wednesday’s edition of “Mickelson in the Morning,” ThinkProgress’ Scott Keyes reports.

In Huckabee’s defense, host Jan Mickelson was firing ideas at the long-shot for the GOP candidacy, and many of those ideas were couched in familiar biblical phrases that would incline Huckabee to agree with them content-be-damned, so it’s entirely possible that he simply didn’t understand what he was endorsing.

ok
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.