FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The They Said A Thing thread (Page 6)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: The They Said A Thing thread
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
There's actually another little gem in that video he posted:

"We're the most highly taxed nation in the world"
-Donald Trump

In total dollars this is probably correct. But that's misleading in at least 3 different ways.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Republican presidential candidate Scott Walker said on Sunday that building a wall on the US northern border with Canada was “a legitimate issue for us to look at”.

Asked in an interview on NBC if he wanted to build a wall on the Canadian border, the Wisconsin governor cited his experience talking to voters “including some law enforcement folks” in New Hampshire, an early voting state in the Republican primaries. Such people, he said, were concerned about terrorists potentially crossing over from Canada.

“They raised some very legitimate concerns, including some law enforcement folks that brought that up to me at one of our town hall meetings about a week and a half ago,” Walker said. “So that is a legitimate issue for us to look at.”

ok
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
It's about time someone did something about the scourge of Canadian terrorists.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
The only solution to deal with the flood, the glut, the deluge, the positive unending buffet of evil is to build a wall on one of the longer and more peaceful borders on earth.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Make it out of ice.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, though, if pro-wall folks want to keep up the pretense that it is for national security (and not immigration), a Canadian wall would be equally important to a Mexican wall.

Of course, building a Game of Thrones style wall between us and Canada sounds absurd... which, really, is what it sounds when people talk about it with Mexico, too.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Ok, so: take the illegals from the south and send them to the North to join the Watch on the Canadian Wall.

Perfect plan. No flaws.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
It's about time someone did something about the scourge of Canadian terrorists.

I'm sure Walker knows just the contractor (And coincidentally campaign contributor) to build it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgiK07Py9M

2016: the song

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Representative Steve King:
quote:
#Obama, you are only the president. You have taken an oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution, not to shred it. Mt. McKinley.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I bet Trump could campaign under a promise to name Denali after himself.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Ok, so: take the illegals from the south and send them to the North to join the Watch on the Canadian Wall.

Perfect plan. No flaws.

I like it. Can we still call it "Operation Human Shield"? [Big Grin]
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Representative Steve King:
quote:
#Obama, you are only the president. You have taken an oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution, not to shred it. Mt. McKinley.

Good old boy Steve is so big on the Constitution that when Supreme Court Justices interpret it in accordance with their written roles in the Constitution, why he spends tens of thousands of dollars to see them ousted. Or he sponsors efforts to say that his state should just be able to ignore unwanted rulings.

Not that any of that has anything to do with Mt. Denali, which apparently Alaskans both white and Native American want to rename. If I hadn't been reminded more than once that elected officials can be profoundly, frighteningly stupid I would be sure King was just a scumbag brazenly advancing a position he knew wasn't true to score votes.

But it's possible he's just an idiot and doesn't realize that renaming a mountain (or rather un-renaming it) doesn't have shit to do with the Constitution.

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgiK07Py9M

2016: the song

I'm glad to see Greg Brown is still around and making music. He wrote one of my favorite songs. (one of my favorite albums, actually)
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
https://store.tedcruz.org/product-category/sabo/
ok
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

what
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
much better
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
https://store.tedcruz.org/product-category/sabo/
ok
O.o
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

Best $50 I ever spent
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
A must have for any formal dining hall
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

- posted      Profile for Heisenberg           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/dem-rep-on-campus-rape-better-to-expel-more-students-even-if-80-are-innocent/

Some liberal "ok then"

Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
Jared Polis is an awesome rep, so I'm sure his position is more nuanced than it seems here.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

I really don't have a problem with that.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

With what, the position as stated in the article? (I haven't read the broader story, though, so I can't credit its accuracy yet).
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

"“I mean, we’re talking about a private institution,” he said. “If I was running one, I might say, ‘Well you know even if there’s a 20-30% chance that this happened, I would want to remove this individual.”

Freedom for Individual Rights in Education policy director Joseph Cohn responded by telling Polis that the sort of standard he was discussing would be highly unlikely to pass the due process requirements that public universities must legally abide by."

He seems pretty straightforward in what he's saying there.

And no problem, Windermere? Look, I know rape is awful, but you know what else is pretty damn bad? A false rape accusation that got you expelled from college.

Not to mention if you don't happen to be able to afford lawyers like the Duke victims. Or some poor bastard who was barely able to go to school through loans and such and can't afford to go someplace else. And, of course, carrying the label rapist around.

Accusations should be taken seriously and investigated, but if your system of investigation is seeing an 80 percent ratio of innocent people expelled, that's monstrous and wrong.

Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

Meant Wingracer, not Windermere. Stupid autocorrect.
Wingracer
Member # 12293

I find it very hard to consider expulsion monstrous. Wrong perhaps but certainly not monstrous.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Originally posted by Wingracer:
I find it very hard to consider expulsion monstrous. Wrong perhaps but certainly not monstrous.

I admit Wingracer I really don't follow how you can arrive at this conclusion. It is 'perhaps' wrong to advocate that for every one or two correct labeling of rapist and subsequent expulsion, seven or eight other incorrect labeling and expulsions should be permissible?

How is that not wrong? Those seven or eight other people weren't rapists and they or their families or scholarships paid legitimately for college themselves. Bear in mind that I don't normally take this side of these sorts of discussions, but isn't it basically by definition wrong to throw out seven or eight people who are innocent to catch two or three? Especially if you know in advance? The cavalier attitude of 'well it's just expulsion' is bizarre to me. How many people do you know who have heen expelled from college in disgrace?

Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
How many people do you know who have heen expelled from college in disgrace?

One. Over a rape accusation. He is doing quite well for himself now.
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

Are you seriously suggesting his success is because of his expulsion rather than in spite of it?

While 80% is a ridiculously high number, I wouldn't approve of such a measure even if the rate of false accusations was only 2%. (which is probably somewhat closer to the actual rate) There's a lot of very good reasons due process exists, and one of the main reasons (other than because it's a basic human right) is because you *can't* have your life ruined just because you were accused of a crime, which is why false accusations are relatively rare for any crime now. Get rid of due process and you'll watch it skyrocket.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Originally posted by Wingracer:
quote:
How many people do you know who have heen expelled from college in disgrace?

One. Over a rape accusation. He is doing quite well for himself now.
The terse replies are beginning to vex, Wingracer. That wasn't my only point even if your response *wasn't* completely anecdotal, which it was.

Oh course using the grounds you did for your anecdote, I can make your reasoning seem very ugly indeed: I know a woman who was raped, and she is doing quite well for herself now. So what's the big deal?

There. It happens to be true and doesn't it also neatly show how silly your reasoning is?

Wingracer
Member # 12293

I wasn't using it for grounds to prove anything, merely answering your question truthfully. It has little to no bearing on how I feel on the issue.

As for due process, completely agree when it comes to the law. One innocent person locked up is one too many. We are not talking about prison here. We are talking about a private college which in my opinion has the right to accept or reject any student it wishes for almost any reason. I mean if you can show that expelling someone for an unproven rape accusation is somehow discriminatory, then yes I would have a problem with that but otherwise, I really don't care.

Heisenberg
Member # 13004

How about a private school that expels students who make rape accusations that don't result in criminal convictions? We still cool with that?
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
Bearing in mind that 80% is likely hyperbole, and how difficult prosecuting rapists is in the US, I'm not against it either.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

Sweet.

So because it sucks that it can be hard to prove rape, we should change the system around so that we can add an entirely new class of victims to the whole mess.

Sounds like a good plan to me!

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on what is provable. If there is behavior that could not, in a court of law, be proved as rape - dubious consent incidents, harassment - but the behavior itself could be proved, I would say that a private institution would have the right to expel.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

But you see, it's easy to avoid a false rape accusation. You just shouldn't be caught outside alone at night without an alibi or friends to collaborate your story; shouldn't be drinking; by drinking you make yourself vulnerable of being taken advantage of at best, or wearing clothes that make you look like your typical rapist. Especially if you go to a wealthy affluent college and thus are likely wealthy and can afford a high settlement; really it's their vault for allowing themselves to be in such a vulnerable position, they were asking for it.
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

Well, you're consistent with your two wrongs make a right ideology, I'll give you that.
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

LOL.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Huckabee on Syrian refugees
quote:
“Are they really escaping tyranny, are they escaping poverty, or are they just running because we’ve got cable TV,” Huckabee told a weekend conference of the ultraconservative Eagle Forum. “I don’t mean to be trite — I’m just saying we don’t know.”

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to hear him ask that to the face of an actual refugee.

He's said a number of dumb and insulting things in this campaign but I think that takes the cake.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
“Are they really escaping tyranny, are they escaping poverty, or are they just running because we’ve got cable TV,” Huckabee told a weekend conference of the ultraconservative Eagle Forum. “I don’t mean to be trite — I’m just saying we don’t know.”

“This idea that we have an obligation to receive vast numbers of people . . . We have a real obligation to make sure that we protect the sovereignty of the United States.”

Mr Huckabee is having an awful time serving two masters, Jesus, and the GOP.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

"I don't mean to be trite - so I'll just be ignorant, and scaremongering instead."
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Thanks, Imogen, for providing translation services.
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

I don't agree with the position that we can't afford to bring in any, or at least a lot, of the world's oppressed, but it's at least intellectually coherent.

Trying to claim that things aren't even that bad in Syria? That they don't really have a good reason for running? That's just ignorance, and the worst part is that I don't believe for a second that Huckabee actually believes it. No doubt which slice of the pie he's aiming for, at least.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
quote:
quote:

“This idea that we have an obligation to receive vast numbers of people . . . We have a real obligation to make sure that we protect the sovereignty of the United States.”

Mr Huckabee is having an awful time serving two masters, Jesus, and the GOP.

The version of Jesus he thinks he is serving is unrecognizable.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thanks, Imogen, for providing translation services.

Anytime. I also do a good line in sarcastic responses to Australian politicians, if you're interested.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Oh, that version of Jesus is quite recognizable-and quite popular as well.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
quote:
quote:

"I don't mean to be trite - so I'll just be ignorant, and scaremongering instead."
Also, I eagerly await the application of this new wary skepticism on the part of Huckabee towards his faith in Christianity;)
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

http://www.mediaite.com/online/dem-rep-polis-apologizes-for-comments-about-expelling-innocent-students-accused-of-rape/
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.