Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » WOTF -- Writers of the Future contest news (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: WOTF -- Writers of the Future contest news
LlessurNire
Member # 8781

- posted      Profile for LlessurNire   Email LlessurNire         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little late, just saw the news myself! Pretty exciting and inspiring to see you win skadder! Would love to hear what the workshop is like, an even better reward than a cash prize in my opinion. (although I bet the cash prize is pretty exciting too)
Posts: 85 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
There are two things I like to say about this news.

1) I found him first! I am taking full credit for all his success. i've read every piece he sold (hell I practically wrote them). I've talked him off the ledge a couple of times. (who hasn't been there while plying our stuff that gets rejected?) Skadder is my find, in fact I think I'm due a commission or something.

2) Whaaa!! We basically started at the same time. Now he's leaving me in the dust! What's worse is our hundred million dollar bet! First one to a sale target wins. With my last few sales I just about pulled even then this! I haven't lost yet but man am I on the verge of being his indentured servant (as well as all my descendants to his descendants) for eternity!

I have said to more than one person that he is the best undiscovered writter that I have come across for a longtime. Now that he is discovered, I will need to pass that title to someone else.
That story that won is excellent but is probably my fifth favorite on the ones he wrote. In other words, he's done better than all but one persons best in that quarter.

Mark my words, everyone. Adam Colston will be a houshold name in the Sci-Fi world one day. You will see his name on the shelves of the bookstores before he is done.

Congratualtions, Adam.

Couldn't have happened to more talented writer.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited November 22, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
HOLY CROW ! Two Hatrackers win in one quarter of the WOTF???? Unreal!

Way to go, Skadder & Brad!!!! You two are an inspiration for the rest of us . Hopefully it won't be long before I'll be stepping up to the plate to take a swing at it .

Hey, sorry I'm late to jump on the congratulatory band wagon. I didn't even find this thread until now.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
We need to make it a clean sweep next quarter. Unfortunately we just lost two key players.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! That's great.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper--Due to a long story that's way too convoluted to explain right here, I currently find myself in the market for a new title, and that one might be right up my alley. Let me know--maybe we can work something out.
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks everyone, especially snapper. Although, how come you have time to post on the internet? my boots need cleaning, then there's the horses to muck out and supper to cook and...and...
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

quote:
We need to make it a clean sweep next quarter. Unfortunately we just lost two key players.

Nah, plenty more winners on Hatrack.

Although I hear that the contest organisers like to let people who organise contests win..

I ran most of the intro contests on Hatrack and a few flash challenges. Running and entering those contests made me think about my writing in a different way.

Perhaps, if someone were to start the intro competition again...

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited November 23, 2009).]

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you really need the bold?

Congrats to both of you!

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited November 23, 2009).]

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Whooa...a double post? WTF?
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It may not be that contest organizers like to let contest organizers win so much as it may be that people who organize contests learn how to win them.

Similar to how giving feedback can help you learn to write better than receiving feedback.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

quote:
It may not be that contest organizers like to let contest organizers win...

No, of course they don't! If only they did--it would be simple.

I was just trying to get someone to do the contests for a while. But I agree, running them affords you a viewpoint over time, which is very useful.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited November 23, 2009).]

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to run contests, but I barely have time to enter them - hopefully that will change in a month or two.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SavantIdiot
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for SavantIdiot   Email SavantIdiot         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, can someone give me the link so I can find out just what WOTF is? One day I won't be a newbie anymore.

I yearn for the day.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

WotF is the the Writers of the Future contest which is probably the best and biggest free contest for aspiring writers of fantasy and science fiction. It runs four times per year.

Stories are blind judged and the three winners receive a cash prize and are professionally published in an anthology. the winners are also flown to LA for a week-long writers workshop and gala award ceremony.

link:

http://www.writersofthefuture.com/

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I should change the title of this topic, so it's clearer.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone earlier asked how many Hatrackers have won WOTF.

I was wondering if we had stats just from this last quarter?

We had 2 winners (Awesome guys), how many HM and finalists?

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I know we had another finalist (starweaver) and Chris Owens was a semi-finalist...
skadder
Member # 6757

We had a hatrack scorecard a year or so ago.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

UPS just dropped off WOTF 24 and 25 and not a single Hatrack shout-out
skadder
Member # 6757

Do you mean that there were no Hatrackians in either volume?

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

If they were, Hatrack wasnt mentioned in the author bios, but there were a lot of Clarion, and local writers groups mentioned.
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Aliette De Bodard frequented Hatrack a number of years ago. She's won WOTF, published in Asimov's, been nominated for awards, and her Aztec fantasy/mystery series is coming out soon.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't feel like I am here enough to qualify as an actual Hatracker.

Maybe, Associate Hatracker?

Occasional Hatrack Poster? OHP for short?

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Eh! If you've posted enough for people to remember you, then you count, Brad. (I was almost going to say that if you've posted enough to become a "member," but that only takes 9 posts.)

Betsy Hammer
Member # 8139

- posted      Profile for Betsy Hammer   Email Betsy Hammer         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! How did I miss all this?

CONGRATULATIONS, GUYS!

I am so, so impressed. Kisses for each of you. <smooch> <smooch>

Posts: 316 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.