Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » WOTF -- Writers of the Future contest news (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: WOTF -- Writers of the Future contest news
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I have just been informed by Joni that I am a finalist in Writers of the Future Competition for this quarter. One of eight apparently...oh, my god...
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
!!!!!!
Woo hoo! Congratulations, that's incredible news!

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. Congrats.
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks guys.

I am stunned, literally.

(There are some more results posted today, although she won't post finalists for a few more days.)

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited October 07, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Skadder. What story was it?
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks. I can't say the story title--it's anonymous judging--I'd be disqualified.

Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool! Congrats!

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, skadder, that's excellent! Congratulations!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks again, Annepin...you have been very quiet of late. Still writing?
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Welcome to finalist row.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks Chris. I have to say my anxiety has multiplied...I was hoping for an HM.
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats - that's awesome!!
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LlessurNire
Member # 8781

- posted      Profile for LlessurNire   Email LlessurNire         Edit/Delete Post 
congrats!!

if this is the same story I critted then I am not surprised, it was very good!

Posts: 85 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome - congratulations!
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations.
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

quote:
if this is the same story I critted then I am not surprised, it was very good!

No, it wasn't. That story has just been sent in (Sept 30 deadline). The story that made the finalist had to be in by June 30th.

Thanks for the congratulations, guys.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!! That's awesome.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks Rich. It's starting to sink in now...
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
My, what a great quarter for you. I am both proud and excited for you. I am very glad to hear of your recent sucesses.It is very encouraging.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo! Gratz.
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!! That's so exciting! So was that for quarter 4? As in, the one that just ended on Sept. 30th?
Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats nice, dear. :-)
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

No, this story was for the quarter that had a deadline of June 30th, the results of which are only being posted now. I presume they were delayed by the award ceremony.

I have another story in for the quarter ending September 30th which she hasn't looked at.

Thanks guys.

arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Looking forward to the even better news after the judging.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go!
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betsy Hammer
Member # 8139

- posted      Profile for Betsy Hammer   Email Betsy Hammer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! Congratulations!
Posts: 316 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Adam, all the time and effort is starting to pay off. If you do get in the anthology and come out this way you'll have to let me buy you lunch.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have to say my anxiety has multiplied...I was hoping for an HM.

Fine. I'll give you one of mine. I'll take the finalist honors.

Of course, I only offer this to relieve your anxiety. I'm sure you don't need the pressure of waiting another month for an answer.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited October 08, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats that is great!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks for congratualtions.

I'll take you up on the lunch offer, Tracy. Frank (snapper) was saying that loads of Hatrackians live in LA (or near) so if the unbelievable happens (I'm not holding my breath) then I may get to meet a few of you.

I feel like I am setting myself up for a fall--thinking about what could happen--but it's almost impossible not to.

skadder
Member # 6757

quote:
Fine. I'll give you one of mine. I'll take the finalist honors.

-Adam pulls a gun--

Put it back on the table slowly, Frank, and move away...

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited October 08, 2009).]

monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks, Monstewer.

...and your toes? Or is that pushing it?

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
double crossing is bad luck on this side of the pond. just so you know.

i'm still ticking, thanks for asking, and still typing away. been working on books, mostly. hopefully will have a short story in the near future.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

That's good news. I notice you stick your head up on Hatrack occassionally, I presume you lurk a little too.
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! That means 2 people I'm friends with are Finalists!
Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks Dave...like your new site, btw--Diabolical plots.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats and good luck!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks, Jennifer.
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Skadder, thats Great! Good luck!
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Skadder,

To those who've done the work, will come the spoils. You've done the work in both the writing and the critiquing, so very well deserved.

I'm not sure whether this qualifies you to go to the workshop or whether you need to go further, but Cat Sparks (much awarded Australian author, 2004 3rd place) told me it was one of the biggest steps in her writing career. Here's hoping.

Regards,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be rooting for you.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks a lot guys. I am very appreciative of all the support Hatrackians have showed.
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo!!!

This is the second of my writer buddies who've scored a finalist this quarter. How exciting!

All the best, Skadder!

~Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks, Anthony.
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Big congrats, skadder! And good luck on being that one in eight. And then maybe one in four? Anything is possible.

Anyone know what the deal is on the three different groups of honorable mentions? Originally I figured all non-placing entrants are given honorable mentions, but I notice there are three different release dates for the groups, 9/24, 10/6 and 10/12. I'm in the second group and am wondering if there's any significance to the line-up.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
The release order of the honorable mentions' honor roll is only the way the results come in, and in alphabetical order.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
See ya at the Palladium, son...see your name up in lights...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.