Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » WOTF -- Writers of the Future contest news (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: WOTF -- Writers of the Future contest news
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go! Good work, and great writing!
Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the congratualtions.

quote:
Originally I figured all non-placing entrants are given honorable mentions

Only the top 5% get an HM.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I've a whole stack of flat-out rejections if anyone wants proof of that :-)
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Skadder, congrats!!! You deserve it!

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks, LAJD.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starweaver
Member # 8490

- posted      Profile for Starweaver           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that makes me your competition, skadder. I'm also a finalist this quarter. I was pretty stunned when I got the call. This was the second sf story I wrote!
Posts: 52 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys rock! Best of luck to you.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

But you knew that, we've already exchanged emails!

Although I didn't know you were on Hatrack.

Starweaver
Member # 8490

Yes -- sorry, didn't connect your Hatrack monicker with your name.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Skadder!
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks Chris.

You got some sharp eyes there--she only posted it about half an hour ago.

I've known for about ten days and it's been hard to bite my tongue!

Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! Congratulations.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my goodness! Congratulations to you and Brad!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
skadder, that's amazing! Congrats man. I'm so happy for you. I'd love to see the story sometime if you wouldn't mind sharing.

And congrats to Brad too. You've both got lots of exciting things ahead of you.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!

Now how 'bout a link so I know why I'm congratulating again, and I can do it proper?

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
http://wotfblog.galaxypress.com/
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Adam and Brad. That's really great!
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks guys.

It took me week to comprehend it--even now I can't quite believe it.

Here's the link:

http://wotfblog.galaxypress.com/

skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks Kathleen.
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations.

Now that you've won one, maybe you can broaden your conceptual horizons a bit :-)

I'm still waiting on that carapace story btw, though I do have 2 crits in front of it.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done!!
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!!
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
yea! congrats
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
And now officially...CONGRATULATIONS!
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to both of you! That's so exciting!
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starweaver
Member # 8490

Congratulations!
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations...keep us updated on what the intensive is like. I think that would be my favorite part of winning.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!!! Too well deserved!

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Wow...thanks for all the congratulations, guys.

@Merlion--not a chance, my narrow view got me this far! The carapace story hasn't really been done yet--it's stalled for the moment.

I'm not a natural blogger, but I will try and do one for the workshop week--either during or I'll take notes and blog it later. I'll see.

I'm not sure how many hatrack winners there have been over time--Aliette de Bodard (silverfox or something) springs to mind. Kathleen may have the stats.

Anyway, two in one go this time--congratulations to Brad!

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! I'm so excited for you. I hope to join you at that writer's con... (note to self: enter WOTF.)
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Lol...gotta be in it to win it!

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited November 18, 2009).]

MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to both of you. That is really awesome.
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations again!
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so excited for you, you'd think you were one of my best friends or something. It couldn't happen to a more deserving guy. Congratulations again!
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! Congrats!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
Tres cool. Doublepluscool.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Adam!!! Very happy for you!!!! Well done.
Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

I offer a standing ovation.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice to finally get a base hit in this game.

Only took me 870,000 words and 138 rejections and 17 years.

=^)

Thanks, all. Feels mighty, mighty good!

Visit my blog. I've been yammering.

http://bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/

Good luck to everyone who has stories in the Q4 and Q1 piles.

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Congrats Brad, you really deserve your win.

I feel a little inadequate next to those statistics!

Some good info on Brad's blog about things to bear in mind if you're serious about winning WOTF.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
Only took me 870,000 words and 138 rejections and 17 years.

Oooh, I bet you publish a novel at the 1,000,000 word mark. Congrats on WOTF. What a great week, and beyond, that will be for you.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah--congratulations Brad!

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

PS nice blog. And your previous HM and Finalists are exciting too. Out of all the stories I read in my first WOTF anthology, the one thing that stands out the most was the author descript saying that she submitted to WOTF every quarter before finally breaking through.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Brad!!!
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Skadder and Brad! That's so fantastic for both of you.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Brad. I saved your homepage to my favorites list a while back, but I haven't been there in a while. I'm going to have to revisit. Great going!
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Hmm. I haven't been keeping track of WotF winners from Hatrack, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone has.
skadder
Member # 6757

Many thanks everyone.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.