Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Nightsleeper. SF 2200 words

Author Topic: Nightsleeper. SF 2200 words
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there. This is a romantic SF story. I'm looking for crits on the first thirteen and readers for the whole story.

Thanks!

quote:
When Carmen tiptoed into the bar, the sunlight seeped in through the curtains. Carmen closed them promptly so as not to blind the barman and stepped into the darkness. Light was unlikely to bother a true daysleeper, but for some reason, dark bars were all the rage.
There were always a few fakers among the bodies strewn on couches at any dating bar, people who wanted to feel what it was like to be desired and cherished like a daysleeper, but they were easy enough to catch. A true daysleeper never woke during the day, just as a true nightsleeper, over-abundant and plain though they were, never woke during the night.
Carmen belonged to the later category and, although she knew it was difficult to find a daysleeper who'd take her, she hadn't yet resigned herself to sleeping alone.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
At first impression, 'Daysleeper' brings vampires to mind, with 'nightsleepers' being the mortals. Carmen's desire contradicts that impression, which builds my curiosity. What is the distinction and why are daysleepers sought as Carmen is doing? That's the hook for me.

I like starting with action that is out of the ordinary - on tiptoes and quickly closing out the light. The rest of the first 13 lines all add to development of the hook.

I'm only concerned about one term: over-abundant comes across as a value judgment meaning that there are too many nightsleepers. The story appears to be from Carmen's POV and she is a nightsleeper. Does she consider herself to be surplus population?

I'll offer to read the whole story.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an atmospheric start and an intruiging hook.

I got confused by the first two sentences though. At first I imagined the curtains at a window, and Carmen tiptoeing in through the door (that's how it is in the bars I frequent), so I couldn't understand why she and the sunlight seeping were connected and why the barman might be blinded.

I guess the curtains are over the door and she's tiptoed through them, 'cos that would make the first two sentences make sense. If that's right, I'd suggest making it clear she came in through the curtains. Sorry if that sounds dense.

Also, I found myself wondering how she would avoid bumping into the couches in the dark - is there a little light? If there is, maybe you could mention it, to add a little more atmosphere.

Aside from those points, sounds great, I'd read on. (Well, I would if I wanted romantic fiction, upon which I'm no expert.)

How long is the story?

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara, I has just one nit, and that was the statement that when Carmen entered the bar, the sunlight seeped in through the curtains. It implied to me that it was Carmen entering that caused the light to seep, which was confusing, because she would have entered through a door, not a curtain, unless things have changed in this society. If you said Carmen entered the bar and noticed sunlight . . . that would indicate the sunlight seeping through the curtains was not a result of her entering. Sound perseverative enough? It's just one of those little things that threw me and caused me to derail from the story. I'd be delighted to read, if you are looking for readers, I love the other stories I have read by you.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd read this too if you need any more readers.

Looks interesting, though I had trouble with that curtain aswell. And one other nit, in the third paragraph you say Carmen belonged to the later category, should that be latter? I could be wrong

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read. T'would be a pleasure. (is that a word lol)
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
"should that be latter? I could be wrong"

You could be, monstewer, but not on this occasion.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone!

Wow, that curtain thingy was important. Some major cultural difference, bars here all have some strange kind of curtains hanging from the doors, keeps flies out.

I need to clean this up a bit and I'll send it to the people who offered to read.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Here where? Your blog looks Spanish to me, so Spain? Mexico? South America?

Must be tough writing in what I imagine is not your first language.

Just curious,
Pat

Sara Genge
Member # 3468

Here is Spain. English is my second first language, if that makes any sense.
Skribent
Member # 5143

- posted      Profile for Skribent   Email Skribent         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems an intriguing world, but I had to read the passage slowly in order to really grasp what was happening. I think there may be too much information given at one time.

Reading over it a second time, I think it's the sentence mentioning nightsleepers that really slowed it down for me. I think the information about the nightsleepers belongs in its own sentence.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.