Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » SciFi - Unfinished - Untitled

Author Topic: SciFi - Unfinished - Untitled
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Just started this. Let me know what you think.

quote:
Chuck Hogan felt shivers run down his spine. The beautiful young girl’s touch was electric and the feeling of her breath on his neck set him on fire.
“Ruby,” he protested. “We can’t do this. Not right now.”
In the dim light from the ships console he could see her lips curl into a smile. She began unsnapping her blouse. “Sure we can. Dad is out cold in his bunk and no one else would come up here at this hour.”
Chuck fought the urge to give in. He knew her father, the Captain, often came up to the bridge when he couldn’t sleep.
“Come on, if Cap catches you up here with me he’ll drop me off at the next station --” An alarm sounded on the console.
PROXIMITY ALARM!

Anthony

[This message has been edited by AWSullivan (edited August 29, 2008).]

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Nit -- "ships" is a noun and means more than one ship. In ship's console, "ship's" is an adjective meaning the console of the ship.

As to the story...I think it would be stronger if you allowed the scene to play out in story realtime instead of using --

Chuck fought the urge to give in. He knew her father, the Captain, often came up to the bridge when he couldn’t sleep.

-- to tell the reader what's going on.

This is just perhaps a conceit of mine, but I find stories stronger -- usually, there are exceptions but this is not one -- when you don't break an active scene and some building tension by retreating to telling in the middle.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
"Shivers ran down Chuck Hogan's spine" is a much stronger sentence. Although still a cliche.

You've established his POV, therefore do not write things like "he could see." I know he could see, otherwise it wouldn't be on the page.

How about "She unsnapped the top button of her blouse," or something like that. It's stronger than "she began"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if I'm hooked.
Minor grammar issues:
quote:
“Ruby,” he protested.[,] “We [we] can’t do this. Not right now.”

quote:
He knew her father, the Captain [captain], often came up to the bridge when he couldn’t sleep.

You also might want to add "my" before "dad" - I first thought they were siblings.
You may want to give Chuck a more (possibly) severe penalty for sleeping with the captain's daugter than being let off at the next port.
AW - I liked this, but I'm not sure where it is going. Could you give me a bigger hint instead of just an alarm sounding.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited August 31, 2008).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.