Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Evil magical powers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Evil magical powers
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

- posted      Profile for mythopoetic   Email mythopoetic         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... ok. Yeah, I'd have something to say to that, but you're right, this isn't the place. Thanks for sharing though.

Yeah, I've never seen a single episode of highlander in my life. What's up with all this highlander stuff?

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a problem. But I understand where you're coming from with your perceptions for your story, so that's how I approach with my comments.

Anyway, I'm not very familiar with Highlander, but I saw the movie. I'm sure there are fans who can explain the plot better, but here's the basic gist from what I caught (and it's been a while). All these immortals have power they try to take from each other. The way to kill them is to cut off their heads, and then the survivor absorbs the loser's powers.

[This message has been edited by Ahavah (edited June 11, 2005).]

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue_Rabbit
Member # 2634

- posted      Profile for Blue_Rabbit   Email Blue_Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Highlander the movie. The first and the best. Probably the best movie ever (altogether with Queen soundtrack ;-PPP
All the rest are just apocrifs and shouldn't be seen even from very far away.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, my bad by getting distracted in the first place by the whole question of what "Christians" "believe".

My point is just that I need evidence that these powers are "evil" beyond your say so as author. More so if you're appealing to "Christian beliefs" because I consider myself a Christian and my beliefs don't support the notion that actual power (as opposed to pretend power, like the "power" of judges or other "authority figures"), in and of itself, can ever be evil.

But even if this story has nothing to do with Christianity at all, you still need to get the reader to understand that these powers are really a bad thing. For an example, let's say you have an "addictive" drug that enhances mental abilities, so a person with an IQ of 120 can have an IQ of 160 by taking this drug. There are no bad side effects, except that your sense of smell gets stronger (all your senses get a bit better, but smell is the only one that makes anyone complain). If you go off the drug, then your IQ goes back to what it was before, and many people with 160 IQ's don't like the feeling of their IQ's going down like that. But other than that there are no bad effects.

So, let's say that the drug is a controlled substance, for use by prescription only and all that, but lot's of people "abuse" it to be smarter at times and some people take it continuously, every day, so that they can function at their habitual level.

Now of course you're laughing at the idea that such a drug could exist. All drugs have some side-effects, and usually these are pretty bad things, even if they're mild and have a low incidence. Many are addictive in the sense that your mental/physical/emotional health could be seriously threatened if you went off them suddenly. A good many will kill you outright in doses even slightly greater than prescribed (some kill you at the prescribed dose, but that's a discussion of malpractice).

I hope that's a more useful analogy.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You are more than welcome to ask, but I think the question is off-topic.

I'm kidding. But seriously, sometimes threads wander a bit. As long as it isn't cuasing any problems and as long as the original question has pretty much been answered, then we just kind of go with it.

Of course, if you don't think the original questoin has been answered and want to go back to it, then by all means yank us back.

Eh...I'm a moderator at another forum and it's one of my duties to make sure each thread doesn't stray too far off topic for too long. I just guess my modding habits carried over to here.

Anywho, um...well, I was going to add something to this subject, but I don't really think I have anything more to add at this point. It's all been said. *shrugs*

Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

- posted      Profile for mythopoetic   Email mythopoetic         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, part of it is that what people think of as "magic" and "power" isn't really independent. That's its source does not come independently to be used for good or evil, but comes demonically (as in, if you are casting a spell, it isn't really you telling nature to do whatever you want it to do, but you telling demons to do what you want them to do. Now, they can obey or not, depends on their agenda not yours) This was discussed earlier when Christian's views on magic were mentioned. So, jumping from this start up point, the powers are evil because they were given for one a sole purpose (To assist satan in finding the antichrist. THey aren't real 'powers' per se, really just demons doing a human's dirty work as long as it fits in with their own plans.) So that's one reason they are evil. Also, part of the story is that the hero does not know they are evil at the beginning. In fact, he doesn't know that he even as them at the very beginning. Also, they are corrupting powers, they take advantage on man's natural tendency to do evil... etc.
Survivor
Member # 213

Yes...but how?

What are the concrete bad effects of having and using these powers?

I'm sorry, I know that you probably do have some notions of the bad effects of these powers, it's just that you seem to be hung up on the "bad" source instead. And that just doesn't cut it with me.

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor has a point. To these powers come with compulsions to do evil things? Or perhaps they are not entirely controlled by the weilder? In "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy I could buy the evil of the ring because essentially, the ring had a mind of its own and was manipulating its wearer to do its bidding.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
My impression from reading this thread is that mythopoetic begins from the assumption that God is good and Satan is evil. I further believe that he/she (gender pronouns . . . that's a different thread) sees no need to justify this to the reader via dramatic action. Being endorsed by Satan or damned by God is enough to constitute evil.

Depending on the intended audience, this assumption could be valid.

It's also possible that I have misinterpreted mythopoetic, and this post is full of sh#t. But casual application of profanity is yet another thread, isn't it?

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

Ok, let's try this again. I tried to explain a little above, I guess I just wasn't coming out clear.

Part of what I meant by asserting that these "magic" powers are demonic is that you aren't really controlling them. You aren't in control. What you are really doing (whether you believe you are doing it or not makes no difference) is telling demons to do stuff for you. And, unlike in many fantasies and such, demons aren't like some magic creature you can compel to obey you. They do what they want to do, and they will serve you only as long as what you are doing is in line with their own plans. Basically, they are using you by telling you the lie that you are using them. Confusing, I know, but essential. Well, I have to go take my sister to driver's ed, so I'll be back soon.

DeepShadow
Member # 2182

- posted      Profile for DeepShadow   Email DeepShadow         Edit/Delete Post 
To keep the powers on the evil end of the spectrum, I suggest you add one or both of the following ingredients:

1) Evil Ends: The effects of the powers are evil. Driving people to madness, reanimating the dead, and removing a person's free will are all generally seen as evil ends. While it's possible that they could be turned to good (animating a graveyard full of corpses to fight another army of corpses) the opportunities to do so are rare.

2) Evil Means: In order to focus the powers, or even just keep them around, there is an additional price, usually one a good person would balk at paying. A hero might use the Chalice of Night to animate the aforementioned army, but when he murders one of his siblings to get the ritual going, this character ceases to be a hero. While it's possible (though difficult) to remain sympathetic to him, he is now a villain or anti-hero.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

Yeah, I understand that. I attempted to write about that earlier in this topic. It makes you want to force others to submit to your will. For example, in the book, the way the hero first gets these powers is when he saves his sister from being raped. The guy attempting to do the raping had these powers and the reason why he was trying to rape the hero's sister in the first place was because he got a high off of forcing her to submit to his will. (The reason he was settling for rape instead of something else is because he is one of the weaker possessor's of Nimrod's Curse. He's not strong enough to do much else. He's cursed with the desire, but not the power to act on it.) Anyway, throughout the story, the hero will have to struggle with the changes these powers are making in him, and every time he uses them, he gives up part of what makes him a hero.
Survivor
Member # 213

See, that's the answer to your original question. You already knew all this, it's part of the story you're originally telling.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.