Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Anyone Doing NaNoWriMo 2010? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Anyone Doing NaNoWriMo 2010?
RoxanneCrouse
Member # 9172

- posted      Profile for RoxanneCrouse   Email RoxanneCrouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone doing it this year? I did last year and I am again this year. My name on there is photogooroo. If your doing it please come find me. I've already written an outline for the story.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
After doing Nano last year, I was planning to this year, but I am taking November off from everything. Hopefully next year.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
After doing it last year, I discovered that I just don't like to write like that. Good luck to you though.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved last year, even though I didn't come close to completing. But I just doubled my hours at work so I think I'll still be adjusting.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm joining the group who did it last year, but not this year. I've got a ton of WIP and have to take care of that. Plus I proved to myself I can do it.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed is not my problem.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
'Won' last year; in again this year.

Hey, photogooroo! We doing Daily Grind again this year?

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
3 years, 3 novels, I'm going for four this year. You can find me on the fora with this same user name, I think...

Nano is one of my best writing things all year - I plan for it, get really energized by it, and love writing like that. I am writing a YA sci-fi future story this year that I've been noodling on since May, but haven't settled on the master plot arc yet.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I did it a few years ago and last year I almost did it again but this year I am already working on most of the novel ideas I want to do right now. I have a ton more, with new ones popping up every so often, I could do but as I said that all I want to do.

Well, there might be one I wouldn't mind doing but if I did it, it would supersede all of my other writing. I have mentioned a time or two there are two I want to finish by Christmas. And three new stories I want to start.

So unless my inner muse starts to insist that I do that one even though he still has a few days to act up, the answer is no.

It would be fun and challenging, so if anyone wants to I say Good Success to you all.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxanneCrouse
Member # 9172

- posted      Profile for RoxanneCrouse   Email RoxanneCrouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhaythe,

I'd love to do Daily Grind again. I was thinking of putting a post up about it on the NaNoWriMo site. It would be fun to have a launch date get together or something.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Like KayTi, I've finished 3 Nanowrimos. Unlike her, I'm not sure if I'm doing it this year or not. My last nanowrimo is beckoning to be completely rewritten and I don't know if I have the creative courage to do another. But maybe.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to take part this year, but my November is looking busy. My mother-in-law will be in town for a week and we see her so rarely that if I lock myself up writing the entire time she is here she will probably think I don't like her.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxanneCrouse
Member # 9172

Anyone doing it look me up. I'm photogooroo. The NaNo site is going to reset Oct 1 I believe. If any of you are near Martinsburg WV. A few of us met at the Daily Grind. I'd love to get together again.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking seriously about it this year. I'm trying to get a short story done for an anthology, but I have had a novel outline lying around that I could do some tweaking to and focus on.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

Doesn't hurt to try. If nothing else, it helps form a pattern. Nanowrimo 2009 really helped me establish a habit of writing pretty much every day. That alone, whether you finish or not, is worthwhile.

Just a thought.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I said that I was already doing all the novels I had ideas for.

Well, no more. I came up with an idea for an opening tonight after I started reading a new book. I talk about that book on the what are we reading topic on another Hatrack forum. I was thinking about how the writer opened her last book and my inner muse decided to come out and play.

Anyway, now I have to decide to do it or not. It would still cut into my time to finish two of the other novels by Christmas.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
You can always work on all 4 and just be a Nano cheater. They had a section on the forum set up for those who were basically defining nano as 50k words, not a 50k novel (thesis, short story collections, finishing other novels, whatever). But they said, they are happy to support everyone, not just those who follow their arbitrary rules.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

You can always work on all 4 and just be a Nano cheater. They had a section on the forum set up for those who were basically defining nano as 50k words, not a 50k novel (thesis, short story collections, finishing other novels, whatever). But they said, they are happy to support everyone, not just those who follow their arbitrary rules.

Yeah, that might work. Except my writing time has been reduced by about half for another couple of weeks. I'm way behind on those two novels. I'm also forgetting to send out completed stories. I have three I need to reformat, along with a bit of revising, I should have had out two weeks ago. Of course there could also be another reason I'm forgetting that little chore. And I have two or is it three stories to finish. And two to three to send out including one to IGMS and the next WotF contest. But one good thing about being being a not so good a writer...no deadlines--not counting WotF of course.

Anyway, it could be fun to do again not to mention good practice.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

They had a section on the forum set up for those who were basically defining nano as 50k words, not a 50k novel (thesis, short story collections, finishing other novels, whatever).

Couldn't find the section you referenced, is it under some other title?

But boy has the web site changed, I don't recall half of that stuff. Some of it I may not have been interested in but I should still remember most of it.

TamesonYip
Member # 9072

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3699315

It is under nano rebels, under the outside the box section (very bottom of forum.

coralm
Member # 9274

I've decided that I'm giving it a shot this year. I doubt I'll be able to make it but I definitely won't do it if I don't try!
Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

It is under nano rebels, under the outside the box section (very bottom of forum.

Thanks, I see your point.

Hmm, most of my stories lately have one thing in common, they're Urban Fantasy and so is this idea I have, along with the three novels I am working on.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinkig abput it. O am doing a writing bootcamp in tje middle of that mpnth that i could do in conjunctiom

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I want to do it. And it looks I'm not going to finish those two novels by Christmas so finishing them a month or three later would be okay.

But today I thought if I'm going to be a rebel anyway why not be one with a novel I have already started? 50,000 words would finish my Number one WIP-and I would have one done by my personal deadline. It would make it somewhere between 90 and 100,000 words.

Or would almost finish my Number two WIP.

But then again my inner muse is already working on that new idea behind my back. I don't know what the main problem is but I know a lot of the universe my MC lives in. I would have to decide if my MC works as a DJ in a radio station that broadcasts both into the ordinary human world and Fey. As a whole humans don't know about the Fey. It's like she is working for two different stations at the same time.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited October 07, 2010).]

Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. I'm in.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm in. I am going to be visiting the in-laws for the first week, but I think I can do a bit of work there and make up for it later. Good luck everyone! I am phantomsquirrel on the nano forums. Not sure how much I will be on there, but hey!

Melanie

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Today I decided I was in.

I still have to decide whether or not to be a rebel though. But I have a couple of more weeks.

I will probably stop working on my third WIP, I referenced a while back, when I get the second chapter done. It will be out of my head by then. And I keep coming up with ideas for the new one I haven't started yet. I even have a title. It's the title of a music video I saw advertised at the gym. Just perfect for the type of story this is suppose to be. So I may try to do it for NaNoWriMo but at the same time do some writing on the other two. We shall see.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
In. You can find me with this nick.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

Ten days. Clock is ticking down. Not that I'm counting or anything.
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in. It's my first NaNoWriMo, actually.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
Just signed up, too.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Boy, there's so many we could have our own section there.
Joseph Forrest
Member # 8460

- posted      Profile for Joseph Forrest   Email Joseph Forrest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be trying it again this year. Don't know how far I'll get what with work, school and family but I'm still gonna try.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

If someone starts one I'll definitely join.

I'm really excited to start actually. It's been hard to restrain myself from writing the story as I've been thinking through the world and the background. November first can't come fast enough!

[This message has been edited by coralm (edited October 22, 2010).]

Rhaythe
Member # 7857

I sorta-cheated. I started writing a short prequel episode for my main character, more or less to flesh out how I want to treat him during the real novel. I won't count it towards the 50k, obviously, but it's been a lot of fun working out how he'll behave in certain situations now. I've limited myself to just my main protagonist, though, so hopefully it doesn't kill my enthusiasm for the real storyline.

Never know. If I decide to do the CreateSpace option, maybe I'll throw that in as an "extra".

Anyone else tried that with their stories?

RoxyL
Member # 9096

So I was reading a Nano guide and it suggested an extreme form of outlining that I'm going to try. Write a sentence outline for every 200 words you're planning to write (so 250 plot points basically). Then write up ten of the points every day in November. That way the thinking is already mostly done, it's just the writing. I think my story is pretty well visualized and writing the outline so far I've been able to catch places to make changes before writing.
What do you guys think? Will it work or too much trouble?

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

If someone starts one I'll definitely join.
I'm really excited to start actually. It's been hard to restrain myself from writing the story as I've been thinking through the world and the background.

I don't know how to start one. I belong to a local area group but you can join more than one it looks like.

And I too have been doing some thinking about my idea. I know the opening and I know something about the world. It's kinda, sort of modeled after the universe in the series that inspired my idea. That series isn't the only dealing with the same type of people.

I have a title. I was watching videos at the gym the other week and they advertised one by an all girl group. I assumed it was anyway since the short scenes they showed had just girls singing but I didn't see a group name. Anyway, I thought that would be a good title for a story based on that other series. So I used it instead.

I know the job my MC has and sort of how she gets involved with the crisis. But I don't know the main crisis yet.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey, people it's getting close.

You all got your ideas going?

Delli
Member # 9202

- posted      Profile for Delli   Email Delli         Edit/Delete Post 
For some crazy reason I decided to sign up last night...... Why would I do that 4 days out from the start date?

Didn't have any ideas but after a few loser ones I finally hit on one I like today and have started some planning.

[This message has been edited by Delli (edited October 28, 2010).]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

I've warned my wife that she's about to become a widow for a month. She seemed a little too comfortable with that idea, in my opinion...
RoxyL
Member # 9096

So is anyone familiar enough with the program to start a group we could join? Or explain how you get on a buddy list? It would be nice to have fellow hatrackers for encouragement.
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

Regions are geographical in Nanowrimo. I think they do this to encourage local communities to meet up during November and provide support to one another. I don't believe region creation is available to run-of-the-mill users.

You can add people to your 'buddy list' by searching on their username and clicking the cooresponding option.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/search/authors

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Found a section where it says we can post our own group.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/forum/178

Boy, I didn't release they had all the forums they have. Age groups, genera groups, newbie groups etc.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I did a search of the groups to see if there might be a hatrack group already. I didn't find one but I did find that writers there are placing links to this forum in various conversations. Including one that said something about it was like hatrack meets Jim Butcher meets Harris. Not sure if they meant this hatrack or something else.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC has an unfinished fantasy series that "hatrack" may refer to. Interesting that the other two parts of the combination appear to refer to authors, and the "hatrack" part doesn't.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
This will be my first year participating. I'm pretty excited. I'm very busy right now, so we'll see how it goes - I may not succeed. But it should be fun to try.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Kathleen--interesting. I seem to be missing out on a bunch of interesting shows on cable this year.

Jesse Good for you. Even if you don't finish it in one month you can still finish it at your speed.

And since 50,000 words is really short for a novel I think must of us will be working on ours after Nov is over even if we reach the end.

RoxyL
Member # 9096

Okay, so sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself. I did this extreme outline (a plot summary per page) so I could tweak things in the outline stage and just write without thinking when it came time for NaNo...
Well, um, my outline is 22k and now I can't find out where to tweak things anymore than if I'd just written the darn thing!
Gah. Two days to figure it out.
Is this what NaNo is - 30 days of delirious stress?

Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
RoxyL, you could just try writing it all over again from memory and from scratch (as in, not looking at your outline unless absolutely necessary), and see if that gets you up to 50,000 words.

Sometimes tweaking is not the best way to go. A complete and total rewrite from memory is always an alternative.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
*paid for by the Committee to Elect Corky.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.