Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Anyone Doing NaNoWriMo 2010? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Anyone Doing NaNoWriMo 2010?
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious. Do you guys scramble your text before you upload at the end of November? It seems like a waste of time to me but maybe I'm naive?
Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not last year. My thought was the writing was pretty unpolished and I had every intention of editing before submitting (it has been heavily rewritten since then, though not yet ready for the agents). Also, imagine sorting through all the crap to get something worth stealing. Not going to happen.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how to scramble mine. but I wasn't planning to. Mine will be spell checked but I most probably won't have time to go back over it to revise it so it probably won't be worth much either.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Cracked 11k words tonight. I'm pleased with this pace.

I did have a moment of panic, for no good reason I might add. I classify myself as an action/thriller writer... which means my work has to have a fast pace and it has to keep moving 100 percent of the time.

Well, this Nano novel is a departure for me. I'm working on a treasure hunting story. Anyway, I had one chapter that was mostly dialogue. To me, that's normally a bad sign. Now I bundled all that dialogue with plot development (IE: the characters were rummaging around the sewers of Istanbul), but still... it gave me a bit of a panic.

Silly things us writers think, eh?

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay the hatrack river group is up on Nano.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3854977

Edited to fix the link (it was missing the ht at the beginning).

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 05, 2010).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
5233 tonight. 23,265 total.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I scramble mine. It's just so much fun. I have no fear that they'll steal my book. If I can't make any money off it, chances are no one else could either. Besides, it only takes a couple of minutes.

quote:
Rats can't get on the Nano web site.

I was reading some of the older posts and saw someone had written this. In my current sleep-deprived state it struck me as wildly amusing. My first thought was "They have a rule for that??"

[This message has been edited by Unwritten (edited November 05, 2010).]

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

I had a lunch with a few people at my office that are also participating in Nano. Most of them had good ideas for what they wanted to write, but something stood out about what they were telling me. It might just be that they so summarized what they were writing that I didn't pick up on this key element, but I noticed most of their discriptions were missing a key point:

Plot.

It gave me an idea for the competitions we have here on the site. Instead of working on style and wordcount, I'm proposing a contest that focuses squarely on plot. Give each participant a list of key words. Their goal is to write an entire story... but using plot only.

In other words, their story might look like this:

Protag in car accident. Nearly knocked out. Briefcase stolen. Police seem useless. Protag goes to private investigator, who overcharges. PI goes to talk to a street source. Knocks on door; it drifts open. Source is dead on her bed. He checks for pulse; gunshots rip through window...

So on, so forth. Forget worrying about style or voice. Write the entire story from a plot perspective only.

Any interest here?

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhaythe,
Not sure if you've read any Ellroy, but he writes exactly like that. If you can stomach racist, misogynistic characters, and foul language, check him out. It's a staccato stream of consciousness shorthand that focuses almost entirely on plot. Some of the outlines for his books run over 300 pages.

Apologies for the thread drift.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just over 9k total right now. Seems like I'm on track so I'm excited. My story is drifting rather far afield from where I thought it would but this is the first time that I've actually tried to write something this long in order. My only other novel length work I wrote scenes as they occurred to me and then patched them together later. I'm a little shocked but I kind of like writing in order better.

Edited to add: LD there are instructions in their FAQ about how to scramble the text so that the words are still counted but the text is incomprehensible. I don't think I'm going to bother though.

[This message has been edited by coralm (edited November 05, 2010).]

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey I got an E-mail from Mercedes Lackey . I didn't know she knew I was a writer.

Nice Pep talk. Nice some pro writers are involved with Nano.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 

Does anyone else feel like they have taken an eight hour final for their favorite class for five day's straight?

My brain is tired, my creating muscles are jelly, and the Halloween candy is all gone.

I cannot continue at this pace.

~Sheena-powered by chocolate-

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

Keep at it Shimiqua. If you're tired float a few days with a thousand words or so and then ramp it up.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Does anyone else feel like they have taken an eight hour final for their favorite class for five day's straight?

My brain is tired, my creating muscles are jelly, and the Halloween candy is all gone.

I cannot continue at this pace.

~Sheena-powered by chocolate-

In a word, no.

Not for a month but I've done this before. Well three or four years ago it was for a month but recently I spent a two week vacation writing. I was alone, my wife was still working and my daughter was at her grandparents for the day. I had a couple of other things to do so it wasn't all writing but it was mostly. I even opted not to go to a movie so I could write.

No deadline except for a personal one of want to finish first one than two novels by Christmas. I won't be done by then thought. Since then, as I said on another thread, Murphy has stuck his big nose into my writing affairs to much. And NaNo of course but I wouldn't have finished them by Christmas even if I hadn't opted for NaNo

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oh yes a PS

But I can see if you're not used to it how that many words in that short of time could make one's creative juices low. NaNo has some interesting forums you might find helpful, so relax for an evening or two and look them over. And/or check out Michael Stackpole's web site and/or reread the pep E-mails.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited November 06, 2010).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Another 1800 words tonight, and worked most of the night, too. I'm going to have to give it a hell of a boost if I'm going to have time enough to get this short polished and submitted by the end of December, too. :cool" I wish I had learned to speed-type.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

26770 total and 3,504 for the day.

I had to work later than anticipated.

RoxanneCrouse
Member # 9172

- posted      Profile for RoxanneCrouse   Email RoxanneCrouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been sticking to the 1667 per day and am now at 10040 words, right on target to finish 50,000 on NOv 30th. I did the same thing last year and it worked for me kept me from burning out too fast from writing too much at the beginning.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I seem to be in the low numbers also. Two of my attempts to update my word count didn't register. It says 3,000 some but it's actually over 10,000.

One day was over 3,000 and one just under 3,000 but three were under 2500. Today even with being a Saturday, with an extra hour, will probably be less than 2,500.

My MC is on her second date with the guy who helped her rescue four children and one adult from a wrecked car.

Hmmm, I was just thinking about how she has to use her magic to save them from attackers from the Summerlands and that he carries a gun.
Maybe he's a FBI agent or just someone who carries large amounts of cash so he has a permit. I haven't decided yet.

But I need a new name for Summerlands, it's been used as has never never and Fariye.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Just over 1700 words. If I could only get a peaceful day to just sit and write.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

I've made my goal for the first week, 35,010 for the first week, one day early. Another 8,241 words made it into my manuscript today (11/6, it's midnight where I live.)
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think I may be closing in on one third of the way through my project.

My MC is about to go one her third date with a certain guy. I'm debating if this is the night she is attacked and has defend herself and her date even though he helps. I need to start closing in on her main adventure. This is her third adventure, each one is getting more dangerous with more at stake and the only one not involving children. I thought about putting in one more where she has to rescue children but I don't think I will have time. If I do I may go back an add it. Or wait 'till Nov is done and I go back over the novel--it will have to be lengthened.

sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
I am behind schedule - 7332 words at the moment, hopefully more before the end of the night. However, I am not displeased. This is the best I have kept up with Nano yet. Most of all, I'm happy that it's just forcing me to write crap at high speed instead of the insane as-I-go editing that is my normal compulsion.

I find I only write well at night, but that doesn't mesh well with a day job. Saturday night I wrote over 5000 words - a personal best! The rest of the week, it just trickled along.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

In the first seven days - 40451
Today - 5,441

sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
After falling behind when my dad came to visit, I am finally back on track at 11,784. I'm hoping for a couple action scenes soon. And a villain.
Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

sjsampson I don't have a villain yet either. Or one that shows himself anyway. My MC may have already stopped him at one point without knowing there's something strange going on. I say may because I just got the idea and haven't decided yet to go with it.

If so she may start to suspect something when the three child kidnappers she stopped die in jail.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

1973 words for today, bringing me to 12,750. I'm happy with that. Life's been hectic, but I've been making the cut--if just barely.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Didn't do so good yesterday and today with my word count but still over 15,000 words. So I'm not doing too bad over all.

If I figured it right one third of the way is slightly under 17,000 words. One fourth is 12,500.

Nice numbers at this stage I think.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't have a villain, you might be able to use someone who is a "good guy" but who has goals that interfere with those of your MC. That way, they can keep being obstacles to each other, and your antagonist (instead of villain) can be more complex and rounded than many villains end up being.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
I had an interesting experience today, and wondered if it had happened to any of you.
This is the most intensely (and by far the most words) I've written and by Saturday I felt like a wrung out sponge. I barely managed to pull in 300 words and hated every one of them.
So, I took Sunday off and it was like my brain refilled. Today I got in over 7000 words and there's still more in there to say. Wow.
Does down time really help, or is this a fluke?

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
@RoxyL - sometimes we just need a breather. To let the story sit in the backs of our minds to stew and process and layer and complexify (totally made that word up.)

I've had the story I'm working on now in my head since May and I'm finding that it's a *much* easier story to write than many of my other Nano projects, because there's been a lot of time for things to just stew up there in the Great Gray Mass.

Now if I could only put more hours of butt-in-chair in, I might actually have this thing farther along!

But I am approaching the climax of act 1, which puts me in the right range given that I'm close to 1/3 of the way through. My two main characters just met each other, about frigging time, and are soon to embark on the quest they have to go on together. First the mentor needs to give them gifts and they need to decide to do this together, even though they come from very different areas. Yes, using standard mythic quest structure even though it's a sci-fi story. If it's good enough for George Lucas...

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

If you don't have a villain, you might be able to use someone who is a "good guy" but who has goals that interfere with those of your MC. That way, they can keep being obstacles to each other, and your antagonist (instead of villain) can be more complex and rounded than many villains end up being.

I have a kinda idea who my villain is and that there is one. Someone kidnaps children to force them into becoming servants in his land. My MC has to rescue them and stop him. But I just have the barest outline of who he is. And so far he hasn't made an appearance even though he may be behind a kidnap attempt that my MC stopped and he may also send someone-something to attack her.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Reached 2250 for the day. Very happy until the cat blew chunks at the base of the stairs.
Owasm
Member # 8501

42,832 total
2,381 today. Too much going on tonight.

I don't know if I'll hit 50K in ten days, but I can feel my energy slipping a bit. *slaps self in the face* Onward.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
RoxyL, if you don't pause once in a while to refill the reservoir, you won't have anything to draw on for your writing. One of the best ways to take a break is to focus on something entirely different and unrelated to your Nano project, even if only for a short time (an hour, an afternoon, a day).

Edited to add:

And who knows? It might be useful in your project after all.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 09, 2010).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

2000 words tonight. Tomorrow will be a busy day for me, so I'll try to squeeze more in this morning (12:00am - 2:30am).

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited November 09, 2010).]

Owasm
Member # 8501

45711 total
2878 tonight

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Owasm, you're an animal!

I was able to clock 2400 before 10:30 AM, which I think is going to be key for me. I felt much better about what I was writing and more connected, and best of all - now I don't have the "I have to write" albatross around my neck this afternoon/evening. Instead it can be "I want to write" and do so for my own reasons. Yes, I play mind games with myself during Nano. But hey - to each his/her own.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

Wrote maybe a thousand last night, then realized I had written one of my main characters into a corner that he could not survived. I broke the cardinal rule of nano and deleted the whole chapter.

I'll have to try and make up for it tonight

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Well, I'm certainly no Owasm, but I broke 2k again tonight, my story is progressing well and I'm happy with some new discoveries. All-in-all, no regrets. Hopefully I'll be busy working (making money) tomorrow, but I'd like to keep padding my lead, if only by a little farther each time.
Owasm
Member # 8501

Hooray! 50,007 I made the last 4296 words tonight.

The timing is funny because my little group just finished a section wher they had just made it over the ice field of a secret pass and am now descending into the equivalent of Mordor. No rings in this one, but the heroine basically has the powers of the Master Mage but can't remember spells to use them.

With the 50K out of the way, I can let up just a bit. The last third of the book will be exciting even for me as it comes out of my fingers and onto the screen.

Keep it up everyone!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Not quite up there as much as some but I got 23 and a half thousand words.

That's 23 1/2 k in computer talk isn't it?

sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Owasm! Everyone seems to be doing so well. I'm finally caught up again.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

The last third of the book will be exciting even for me as it comes out of my fingers and onto the screen.

Good job there

But I know the feeling from this quote. Sometimes when writing a scene and get interrupted I feel the same way as if I was reading an exciting scene. I just got done with a scene like that. Of course sometimes I seem to be the only one that feels that way about a certain scene.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Good, good sjsampson

Keep it up.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Another 2k tonight, bringing me up to 21k, but what's really worrying me is that I'm only on chapter four.
Owasm
Member # 8501

53,204 A few shy of 3,200 tonight.
55,389 2,085 (11/12) I'm finally getting to some crits I owed!

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited November 13, 2010).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Another 2k in, but I think I'll be adding for tomorrow a little bit tonight.
RoxanneCrouse
Member # 9172

- posted      Profile for RoxanneCrouse   Email RoxanneCrouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm alomst to 22,000 and writing the part I dreded, the mental hospital part. I only have movies and what I've read on the internet to draw from. I think it's going well though. I had wanted the hospital part to end at 50,000, which would be the middle of the book, but I don't know how I'm going to write 25,000 words in the mental hospital and keep it interesting til 50,000. I may just have to write a shorter book, maybe 80,000 instead of 100,000.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who dreads reading the novel after NaNo?
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.