Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Anyone Doing NaNoWriMo 2010? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Anyone Doing NaNoWriMo 2010?
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I even asked my wife to pick up a new flash drive when she went to a certain store. I can use it to transfer the part of the story I did at work to my home computer. I could E-mail it to myself while at work but I rather not take the time. And I may end up using my laptop at home while my wife is online.

Boy they are getting better and better. This is my fourth and each one has significant more memory. The second two are pretty much filled up. The first one has so little memory I usually don't think about using it. Come to think of it I could even though I would have to delete some stuff on it.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oh yes. I received an E-mail calender of events from NaNoWriMo. M. Lackey is suppose to send a pep letter this next week. Or they will send it for her.

I don't recall them doing any of that the last time I took part in NaNo.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, everyone.
For me, I think such a writing challenge will need wait for my retirement.
I'm working nearly every day except for a few I'll be in Paris with the missus (She's always wanted to go).
May you all go from strength to strength.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Anyone want to trade names to be writing buddies?

And/Or does anyone want to join a Hatrack group if I manage to start one?

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw shucks. I guess I'll do it for another year. It fits in my schedule. I ended up shelving a novel and just finished doing a major edit in my WIP and it needs a little quiet time, so I'm in with a novel I outlined in August.

My user name is... owasm.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
Foste89.

I'll accept everyHatrack brother/sister

[This message has been edited by Foste (edited October 31, 2010).]

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my most unprepared nano yet. I can't wait! Username is sjsampson if you want to add me. Good luck everyone.
Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Wow, Michael Stackpole is going Nano.

http://www.michaelastackpole.com/?p=1765

He's going to be hosting an online write-in and has a book out that help with Nano.

Too bad that write-in will be during my dinner hour, well I get home about half an hour after it starts and have to fix dinner.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

First, I'm very unprepared also. No notes but a few ideas in my head.

Hopefully my mind doesn't go and I need a new hard drive.

And yes, I read a story with that idea. Guy had to use the back up for his physical memory because of an internet virus.

Plus I will try to put include all who said yes as writing buddies but probably not today. The site's very slow probably because of being super busy. I will see if it's better tomorrow night, and I can write as I wait if need be.

And of course you can include me, same user name as here.

Foste
Member # 8892

Done 1669 words today!
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
My username on there is coralm and I added the folks who mentioned they wanted to trade buddies above. I would also join a Hatrack group.

So far only 534 words today but I'm still at work. Shhh!

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd buddy up with anyone who's willing. I'm RoxyL there also.
Up to 1970 today and trying to get as much in as possible to prepare for those crazy, crazy days when nothing will get done. (Started writing at 5am and I wonder how much of it is even coherent. Ya know?)

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote more than five thousand words today. I didn't mean to, it just kind of happened. Somehow I've turned into Owasm.

Look for me tomorrow to be struggling over every word.

I'm diving back in.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I had 1947 words done at 4am. I'm planning to add on tonight. (And I'm tinkering with a short story...crazy, huh?)
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying again this year. I'm redux on nanowrimo as well.
Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm Unwritten_1971 but I can't get on the site to find out. If that's wrong you can probably find me on the friend list of anyone who did it last year.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

Wow it's really hard to access the page right now... Is this normal?
RoxyL
Member # 9096

I haven't been able to get on NaNo either for a couple hours. I wonder if it crashed because this is about the time everyone starts getting home from work all across the US and it's the first day. Ya think?
Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

I live in Europe.

Well considering that NaNoWriMo is such a big event globally, no wonder the site is stuck. I managed to sign in (after waiting for about 5 minutes for the page to load)

Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the server is being pounded. This happened last year too.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

It gets better after the first few days. It's something to keep in mind towards the end though--no one wants to lose because they waited until the last second and then couldn't get on.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

Ugh.

Just another reason to pound away at the keyboard I guess.

[This message has been edited by Foste (edited November 01, 2010).]

Rhaythe
Member # 7857

Exactly. Fewer distractions.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

I like the way you're thinking Rhaythe...

[This message has been edited by Foste (edited November 01, 2010).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I got around 2,488 words the first day.

It's been flowing, could have done more but had to do real life stuff like mow the yard.

A flashback is probably too big but I will see about redoing it and shifting some of the info to other places after Nov 30th. I do some little changes as I write since that is the way I write but nothing big right now.

Owasm
Member # 8501

7,730 today. I had to watch my baseball team, the SF Giants WIN THE WORLD SERIES tonight! Slowed me up a bit.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

Wow, Owasm, just Wow.
And congrats!

RoxyL
Member # 9096

Here's an extra incentive to finish NaNo!

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivenerforwindows/

Most of you know scrivener is a very popular Mac tool for writing. It's finally coming out for Windows in January. Hooray!

And at the link they're giving a 50% coupon to anyone who finishes NaNo!

sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Arg. Only 121 words yesterday. Hopefully I can make up for that today.

You people who can write thousands of words a day - do you have day jobs??? I'm in disbelief.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

quote:
You people who can write thousands of words a day - do you have day jobs??? I'm in disbelief.

Owasm is a word-cranking machine. All I can figure is that he chains himself to his computer and has someone poke him with a cattle prod if he's typing fewer than 300 words a minute.

In my case, two to three thousand words a day is "normal". That takes me about two hours and is generally a chapter or so. I've found it easier to write by scene, as it gives me a well-defined "section" of the story to finish and offers a sense of completion when I'm done. The most I've ever done in one day is around the six to seven thousand word mark, but that was still a single chapter that stretched on for a long time (gunfight scene).

Find a level that works for you. It may be that you can't write in long stretches at the moment. Or it may be that you're second-guessing what you're writing as you're going about it. Try not to be an editor while you're a writer. Just write. It's easier to edit a typed page than a blank one.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a good idea, as you go along, to make notes about what you want to do in the rewrite phase (after 30 November).

That way, you don't have to worry that you'll forget what you want to do, and you can just go on and write more first draft, as fast as you can.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

Shimiqua, you are on fire!

Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 3000 done yesterday, writing in spurts. I'm not going to get near that done today, but since I'm ahead of the pace, I guess that's okay. My fear is if this book turns out to be longer than 50,000, I won't be able to finish. I need to get ahead of the game early so I know what I'm dealing with.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

I'll ask this now so I won't panic later...

What if the novel turns out 10 000 words SHORTER than it needs to be? What if I stretch the plot as far as I can?

[This message has been edited by Foste (edited November 02, 2010).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm beta testing Scrivener for Windows. Not all of the functions are active, but I love it for plotting. It's kind of strange not seeing the format, though--is that different in the Mac version...anybody?

Apparently, the NaNo word counter only likes to be updated once a day. I write late at night, then more throughout the day following, and when I posted a lower word count at the beginning of the day (actually it took me til 12:01 to get it entered) it listed me as having a fail day, with 1 minute into the day. So, with limited internet access, my record may not be accurate.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
Foste, maybe try adding another character. Writing them into scenes will a) lengthen the book, and b) change the plot. It might do the trick.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

Thanks Jesse.

I just hit 5k but I'd hate to arrive at a point where I would have nothing left to say.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey thanks. 11,777 words and counting.

That is almost four thousand words more than I wrote for last year's NANO. In two days.

What.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

This is the first year I've had a large block of time to write. So far it hasn't done anything for my word count. I can't believe how much longer it takes to write if I don't give myself a deadline.

Don't worry about finishing your story early. There's bound to be something you can do, like rewriting a scene you didn't like or creating a sudden catastrophic typhoon.

redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
For the folks with high word counts - do you guys write fully fleshed out scenes with complete sentences or are you writing stream of consciousness style?

Just curious

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Not doing too badly even though I am not keeping up with some of you guys.

So far I only have almost 1500 words for today. Of course I had to so some real life stuff, like voting and watering.

But this evening I was working on it while fixing dinner and a way to add some length to it came to mind. My MC rescues some children from a car wreck, as a first in a line of tougher and tougher events that come into her life, and a guy helps her. My first thought was that he helped than leaves the "stage" never to be seen again but the thought came to mind that this guy could become a love interest. He decides to find her later and asks her out. Right now I don't think he gets involved with her Fey life so she has to make sure she doesn't say anything about that half of her life.

Anyway need to get back to work. And remember to put up my word count on the web site. I was going to do that last thing so I know how many words but forgot last night.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Rats can't get on the Nano web site.

But today I got a total of 2,345 words.

And found some more background for my MC to mention.

I should say this is in First Person.

I want to stay up later to write more, it's flowing well, but got to get up early.

Owasm
Member # 8501

5150 today. That makes 12,880 in two days. Last night it was the world series, tonight it was a teaching session and election coverage. My goal is 35,000 this week and 40,000 next week.
Delli
Member # 9202

- posted      Profile for Delli   Email Delli         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so three days in. Not feeling too bad. Have done 5215 words so far. Just the bare minimum 1667 today. I don't want to ever do below 1667 as I don't think I'd catch up again! So I force myself to write - even though I've been writing bollocks..... But it's actually been good for me. I haven't allowed myself to go back and edit anything as I'm writing. And when I do go back and read it (still not allowed to edit).....ok so it's not great - but it's not ALL bad.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

At 5456 right now, but that will expand before tonight's through. Work interrupts.
Luna Jade Adelle
Member # 9306

- posted      Profile for Luna Jade Adelle   Email Luna Jade Adelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I signed up for Nano late, but I am really excited about it! I have never pushed myself with a real, tangible deadline for my writing before, so this is giving me a whole new perspective on things. I almost feel like I'm back in school again, trying to finish a paper. Oh well, pressure can be a good thing...at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Welcome aboard, Luna Jade Adelle. You'll get your pace.

Ended at 5500, but I worked a long day, too. (And I think I'm going to moonlight on the story for a little bit tonight.)

Owasm
Member # 8501

5,152 today. 18,032 total. The story is moving along. I added the bad guy's POV and Cloud (a sentient lovable mistball who laughs at his own lousy jokes) is coming along nicely.
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally was able to access my nanowrimo account. I forgot my password, (It took me several tries to remember old passwords I use to use.) and really didn't want to create a new account since I've had this one since 04. I'm under william stirling there, and just reached about 8,400 with no looking back. Wasn't sure I was going to do it this year but what the heck. I just want to make sure I have time for my 2nd draft wotf group for nov. 7th. I figure lets see how many hatrackers we can get in the winners box.
Go for the gold everyone! Cheers!

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.