Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotfCritique Group 2009 Q01 -- Early Submissions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: WotfCritique Group 2009 Q01 -- Early Submissions
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a critique group for writers that will be entering a story for the first quarter of 2009 in the Writers of the Future contest (26th year), and do so on an early schedule.

Anyone is welcome to join. If you do though, please follow the directions for such. Currently, the group consists of me:
WriterDan

If you want to join the group for this quarter, please re-post the current names list in a reply and add your name to the bottom.

Deadlines for this quarter's crits are as follows:

September 1st: Start writing

October 7th: First drafts out for crits

November 7th: Second drafts out for crits

November 30th: Mail-in final drafts for Q01

Note: The official mail-in deadline for this quarter is December 31st; however, this group's deadlines are set up so that all entries can be mailed up to a month before the deadline, and hopefully beat the rush at the end of the quarter.

When you send out drafts for critique, please do so in a generic format so that everyone will be able to open your file. (eg. rtf, txt. Pdf is okay too, but won't allow for in-text comments.)

Award count for this WotF critique group (Q03 2008 - present):
Finalist: 0
Semi-finalist: 3
HM: 5

Helpful links:
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum5/HTML/000060.html

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited September 30, 2008).]

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in, of course.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, too,
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Filling in for those who don't care to read my CAREFULLY PREPARED and METICULOUSLY DETAILED instructions... lol Cut and paste works miracles, but can cause some of the worst debugging errors ever. Beware the unwary!

Write/Critique:
WriterDan
AWSullivan
arriki
BoredCow

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

er, that's cRow. Like the bird.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
"Moo," said the cow with an air of disinterest.

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
er, that's cRow. Like the bird.

Hey, welcome back. Long time no see. But serious, boredcRow?? You mean I've been misreading it this entire time?? The mind boggles!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

lol, anne, I suppose it's easy to misread. I'm sure cows get bored too, but I'm an ornithologist and thus much more interested in cRows.

... what, you mean this topic isn't about screen names? Oh, okay, I'll be quiet now.

[This message has been edited by BoredCrow (edited September 02, 2008).]

darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
With apologies for not always honouring my responsibilities this last quarter, due to host of family and personal problems and illness, I promise to do better this time around.

Write/Critique:
WriterDan
AWSullivan
arriki
BoredCRow
darklight

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Oops. Sorry for the mis-read Crow. I've totally read it Cow ever since first seeing your name. Will make that change in my long-term memory.
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, me too!
I'm in. Wow, this looks like fun.
Leslie

Moooo!

[This message has been edited by LAJD (edited September 05, 2008).]

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Glad to have you back, darklight. Hope things on the homefront are better.

Write/Critique:
WriterDan
AWSullivan
arriki
BoredCRow
darklight
LAJD

arriki
Member # 3079

Sigh. I'm still stuck on finishing China Station. Fortunately I have a good draft of the story I'm planning to submit. I get to worry my way through polishing instead of writing from scratch. I'm absolutely horrible in first draft. No one would want to read one of those.

I've decided this next quarter it will be "Cory's Fall From Grace." First off, I need a better title although this one is better than the simple "Cory" it used to have. This is that dark adult fantasy.

So, what're the rest of you guys planning on? Fantasies or sf?

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited September 07, 2008).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Mine's sci-fi... one of the only sci-fi stories I've ever written. My entry for 2008 Q04 was/is fantasy.
Icared
Member # 8091

- posted      Profile for Icared   Email Icared         Edit/Delete Post 
I am definitely in.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

Not sure Arriki. My Q3 story was fantasy and my Q4 is Sci-fi. I suspect I'll do sci-fi again since that is what I'm mostly writing right now... but who knows.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

My entry for Q04 is Sci-Fi, and the one that I have planned to write for 2009Q01 is a Fantasy. Been looking forward to writing this one for some time actually. Now, I just have to finish my freaking 4th quarter submission so that I can start on the new one! Really looking forward to this quarter because I have everything planned out. During the 4th quarter, I gave up on a re-write of a past entry after a couple of weeks, got 9 pages into a new sci-fi before realizing that I didn't have the plot finished enough to continue, so I wrote 36 pages of a new sci-fi story that wasn't well-received by you guys or much liked by myself for that matter, to finally get to my current 40 page sci-fi revamp, which I'm now drafting. Ugh. MAN, am I looking forward to an easy quarter this time around! Looking forward to all the new stories.

Write/Critique:
WriterDan
AWSullivan
arriki
BoredCRow
darklight
LAJD
Icared

darklight
Member # 5213

I'm pretty much the same as you, WriterDan, this quarter. I abandonded my first story, tried to write another, which I got about 2500 words into when I got sick, so it never got finished. Been sick now for ten straight days, just feel like I'm coming out the other side now. Haven't been able to look at a computer screen for days. Don't know if I'll get anything done for this quater, but determined to get something ready for the next.

I have it all planned anyhow. Another sci-fi. Perhaps I'll give fantasy a try one of these times.

Anyone heard anything from last time, yet? I'm still waiting to hear one way or the other.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

I got my Q3 rejection letter today. A little deflating at first but now I'm bouncing back. I realized that I could now go ahead and start to workshop my Q3 story.

It was my first completed work and received no workshop effort at all. I didn't even know what such a thing was!

Look for 'Old Magic' in the short stories forum shortly.

Anthony

annepin
Member # 5952

Well, I don't feel so lame then. I wrote mine, struggled, scrapped, rewrote, and still struggled... don't know if I'll get something in for this Q4. My home life has been a bit turbulent. But I'm in for Q1-09.

Write/Critique:
WriterDan
AWSullivan
arriki
BoredCRow
darklight
LAJD
Icared
Annepin

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm in, but remember I'm "Down to the Wire Girl." As DWG, I typically mail it just prior to 5 PM on the last day of the quarter. Some quarters I have even managed to get it in the day *before* the last day of the quarter.

So, count me in, but I'm still in early revisions on my Q4 entry so I've got a bit of time before I know what I'll be doing next quarter. I'm happy to help with any crits for current quarter for other down-to-the-wire folk, and I'll be needing some as soon as I add in the scene Annepin recommended.

Write/Critique:
WriterDan
AWSullivan
arriki
BoredCRow
darklight
LAJD
Icared
Annepin
KayTi

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Glad to see more of you in on the game for this coming quarter. Hope things get better for you, annepin, and we're more than happy to accommodate your delayed schedule, KayTi. Mostly, we're just glad to have the two of you along for the ride.

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited September 09, 2008).]

Gardener
Member # 7948

- posted      Profile for Gardener   Email Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to sign up, too.

Write/Critique:
WriterDan
AWSullivan
arriki
BoredCRow
darklight
LAJD
Icared
Annepin
KayTi
Gardener

I hope I don't have too much on my plate, but I plan to write for the next quarter also.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.

Write/Critique:
WriterDan
AWSullivan
arriki
BoredCRow
darklight
LAJD
Icared
Annepin
KayTi
Gardener
TheOnceandFutureMe

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Hey all,

So, how are the first drafts coming? Started? Mid-way? Finished? Our posted deadline for first round crits is coming up fast at just under three weeks away. Wanted to give everyone a push along and wishes that things are going well.

Between critiques and drafts of my Q04 2008 story, I've managed to bang out almost 5k words on my new story for this quarter. Probably a little more than a third of the way through my plot arc and coming along nicely. Actually haven't had a story come out this smoothly in a long time, which is nice to see and makes me hope for some good to come of this quarter.

Happy writing!

Gardener
Member # 7948

My Q04 2008 story is down to the last proof. I wrote maybe 200 words on the new story, just to put something on paper. I'm expanding it from a flash, so I sort of have that as an outline.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Well...I haven't started my story. I know the story, have an old version of it I need to extend, but haven't written one word of the new version. I still have to finish a read through and minor edits of this quater's story, which I will do before I start the new one. All I have to do then is find some way to print it, since my printer has decided it doesn't want to work.
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

The story I'm going to use for this time is in its third draft. I think it's one of the better stories I've written, but it still needs a lot of work to become polished and shiny.

After I send out my 2004 Q4 story, I want to work on ironing out some of the flaws, such as the weak beginning the story currently has.

annepin
Member # 5952

I've started two stories... one kinda hit a dead end, the other I need to think about how I'm going to work it. I'm going to try to finish at least one this weekend.
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

I've written three stories in as many weeks so I suppose I'm doing fine. I'm not sure I'll make a specific effort to write a WotF story but rather send in the best of the stories I have written since my 4Q story.

Not that I won't want crits so don't think you're off the hook!

~Anthony

LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
annepin, I'm like you. I started one and it just ended. Maybe some other time for that one.

Now, I have a second that I like a lot. It's one of those stories that comes with the big parts all worked out, I just need to get those pesky details out on paper! I plan to work on it this weekend. I doubt I will finish it, because I have a big day job deliverable on monday, but I will try.

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

I've written 2000 words, although I've decided that the first 500 aren't really necessary. It'll probably be somewhere between 5000 and 8000 words when I finish.
Icared
Member # 8091

I have written about 6k words and I think this one won't be that long. The way it is going now, I think the first draft will be close to 8k.
Though the draft really is in a horrible state right now. The characters need a lot of improvement, but I like the way the plot has evolved in my mind. Only if I were able to put it down to words...

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deggett
Member # 6215

- posted      Profile for deggett   Email deggett         Edit/Delete Post 
I just signed up for the regular time-table, but I'm more than willing to critique for you high-aiming early people.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Original post moved to Writing Class topic. See link in first post, above.

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited September 30, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff, WriterDan.

I was just wondering, though, if you have Dave Wolverton's permission to reprint this.

If you do, that's fine, and it would be good to have a separate topic for his stuff.

If not, please check with him and make sure it's all right?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

At the bottom of the email, he says to feel free to share the information with friends, and there weren't any qualifiers on it. I figured this was the easiest way to share it with the groups, and I've stated that it came from him. Do you think that I need to be more careful and specifically ask about posting it here? If you do, by all means I will. Just seemed like it'd be okay to me.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Permission granted. Is there somewhere that we could post this info semi-permanently, Kathleen? That way I can just reference a Hatrack discussion link at the beginning of each new quarter with the info.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, WriterDan.
I'd recommend starting a topic in the Writing Class area and calling it something like "Advice from Dave Wolverton."

Do you want to do it, or shall I?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Done!

Anyone interested can find it in the "Writing Class" area from the main forum page. I will post anything further that he has to say there.

arriki
Member # 3079

2008 is done. All that's left is waiting to hear now.

Where are we with the first quarter of 2009?
I'm buffing and polishing the Cory story. That'll take a while.
Where are the rest of you?

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

I'm using a story that I've been working on for a while now called "The Dying Time." I think it's at a good place, but once I polish it a bit, I'm looking forward to getting feedback on how to make it even shinier.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

The last few days have been spent solely on my Q04 entry. Got a little time to draft the first part of my 2009 Q01 story tonight. Still at about 5k words with the plot arc 1/3 done. I'm shooting to have my first draft of this one done on time though (Oct 7th). I really need to spend some time with my co-authored novel this month (haven't touched it since last Feb), and the whole early-submission thing should allow me to do that. Plus I need to start formulating my next Q02 entry. Now that 2008 is over and done with, I think it's time for some inspiration to hit. So, okay. Any time now...
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in. Except I'm afraid I won't have anything to show off for the 10/7 deadline, but I'm happy to read and crit.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited October 01, 2008).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

I've finished my first draft (10000 words). One of my classes is critiquing it next tuesday.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Inspiration hath hit!

Second quarter 2009 entry now formulating...

And today's the 2nd. Eek. I need to get writing--

Icared
Member # 8091

I think I will have my first draft finished on time. It is coming along somewhere between 8000 and 9000 words. I have written 8000 already, but need to go over a few scenes to make it look more compact.
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
I want in, hope I'm not late.

I am ready to recieve and send ms to anyone in group.

Write/Critique:
WriterDan
AWSullivan
arriki
BoredCRow
darklight
LAJD
Icared
Annepin
KayTi
Gardener
TheOnceandFutureMe
Patrick James
and I believe Zero

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gardener
Member # 7948

I've changed track three times and still not sure which idea to pursue. I think I'd better join the regular timeline.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.