Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotfCritique Group 2009 Q01 -- Early Submissions (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: WotfCritique Group 2009 Q01 -- Early Submissions
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I thought that my second draft was ready, but then I got a crit back from Annepin. My thanks are gushing over in uber-completeness and mega-thankfulness for her words of wisdom and suggestions. Suddenly, the pieces that were difficult are now no longer such , and my story is going to kick some tail. Anyhow, I'm in the middle of a chapter of the novel that I'm writing. Hope to get that done by the end of the week and then to get started again on my WotF entry some time next Monday. So I'm going to ask for a little stay in the deadline for myself, and will ask around for crits when my "third" draft is done. As far as crits for others, I haven't gotten anything recently from my group. I'm open for second round crits now. So, that means you arriki, and anyone else that wants it too. Thanks all. Get busy. And good luck.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
On its way. Or, do you need it in rtf format?

Anyone? Remind me if you need a plain text or rtf.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Doh! Sorry I didn't get it to you earlier!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
arriki, I was planning on looking at your story this weekend, so yes, send the altered version. I'll replace it with the one I already have.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

annepin -- do you mean you already did the critique? If so, I won't bother you with these slight changes.

I can't seem to stop worrying over the wording.

Does it read better as Cory could no more sleep than could the sea. Or that he could no more rest than could the sea. I feel sleep is better. The sea can rest at the time the tides change. Sort of. But sleep? That's a longer time and it doesn't ever, does it?

And I love the new way the ending works -- today. Ask me next week and I may pull a bag over my for shame at it.

Sigh. I'll be SO glad to get this thing in the mail. Although...I'm dithering over what to do next. Three stories are all jammed together in the doorway wanting to be next!

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 11, 2008).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Just so everyone knows, I've run into some project deadlines so I've been, and am, busier than expected. Please feel free to keep sending me your stories and, hopefully, time permitting, I'll get them back to you. But I can't promise my reply will be swift in coming. I'm sorry.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
You can send it my way, arriki. Rtf is fine.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Look out Ann. With a report like that everyone will want you to crit theirs.

Get ready for a mail avalanche.

"Spam filters up, commander!"

"It's doin' no goog, cap'n. Theres too many of 'um!"

"Well, then we'll have to take the easy way out."

"What's that?"

"The Hatrack Utility Belt Easy Crit Device."

"But there isn't one!"

"Oh, crap."

[This message has been edited by Patrick James (edited November 12, 2008).]

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Lol, Patrick James. @Arriki, sorry, my comment was directed @WriterDan (hence the need for twitterspeak!)

I generally don't crit stories I've already critted, unless there were major changes. It's felt kind of pointless to me, except in certain situations.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited November 12, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

okay, Patrick James, I finished with your critique and sent it on. Let me know if you didn't get it, and I will resend.
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Anne. I'll get to it soon. I'm sure it will be helpful.
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't received any rewrites from anyone in my group, so this is just letting you all know that I'm ready for critiquing any time. I've run into a block on my own story, and it's probably won't be ready for this quarter. I might send in a different story that's in better shape.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

So. what's going on with everybody? I haven't seen any second version critiques come rolling in nor any more stories for me to critique. JennifreHicks, you want to take a look at mine? I'll look at yours later, when you're ready.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the slow response, Arriki. Send it along!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
I am up to my ears in the final week of nano (32K). I will happily critique anything sent, but don't expect anything from me until after the 1st.

If I owe anyone anything, please ping me, I think I am up to date here.

thanks
leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

JenniferHicks -- give me a few days. I just had a revelation on the story. Something definitely to fix. How could I have been so blind!
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, it looks like I'm not quite going to be finished with my draft this week. From what I'm seeing, there are going to be a lot of people tied up with Nano until the end of the month anyhow. So, I'm shooting for a Dec 1st finish date. Which pushes back my submission date. Grumble, grumble. Wanted to get mine out on time this quarter. Oh well. I guess there's always next time. See you all in a week or so.

Ah, and I'm open for any crits between now and then. Unfortunately, I'm not doing a Nano this year. Just didn't think that I'd be able to hack it. And I was right. This month has been a killer without it.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Happy Thanksgiving peoples. And yeah, I know, this probably doesn't apply to everyone, but ah well. Happy End of November to everyone else.
arriki
Member # 3079

I'm getting awfully sick of dissing our traditional American holidays. I will not shop any store that has replaced Merry Christmas with Happy Holidays. It is not July the Fourth or Veterans Day or such. You want t make profit? Don't pretend it's not Christmas and Christmas presents that sends shoppers out in such numbers at this time of year. I go along with the secular side, okay. Good Taoists and Moslems and all can put up a pagan decorated tree and leave presents under it. Santa Claus and his elves aren't really religious, not any more.

arriki
Member # 3079

I was just reading a book -- TALES FROM THE DAD SIDE -- where he quotes some anonymous person to the effect that there are three stages a man goes through. Believing in Santa Claus. Not believing in Santa Claus. And finally, being Santa Claus.

Anyway, our Dec. first launch date approaches. Everyone ready? ANYONE ready?

Who do I still need to critique?
I'm presently interviewing old stories for candidates for the next WOTF. How about you guys?

Patrick James
Member # 7847

I am ready to send in, not entirely satisfied with what I've got, but I suppose I never will be.

Looking at stories for next quarter, also.

Thanks to all who helped me get it ready, particularly WriterDan and arriki.

[This message has been edited by Patrick James (edited November 29, 2008).]

darklight
Member # 5213

Arriki, sorry I haven't got your critiqed story back to you yet, I am working on it. If you sill need it, I will get it back to you asap.

As for mine, I haven't looked at it since october, and plan to get back to it this coming week.

That aside, back in october, I had an idea for a story for next quarter, and as a result, have my next story almost finshed in first draft form. I'm happy about that.

Does anyone need a critique?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

Arrgh, I am just popping my head out of nano hell. I am still happy to crit but need to work on my story.

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, I think that I'm going to be done with the next draft of my story tonight. I just have the final section to write. Already through the climax. That means I'll be ready to send out tomorrow. Is anyone willing to give mine another(or a first) read through? If no one is up for it, I'll jump over to the regular timetable and do some swapping there.

In general, who's open for giving out another round of crits? Leave a comment if you are. Maybe an updated list would be good... That way we don't have to go through the "asking" thing every time someone needs another crit for this quarter.

Later all.

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited December 02, 2008).]

LAJD
Member # 8070

WriterDan,

I have jumped to the regular timetable, but am still lurking here. There does not seem to be much going on in the regular group,

I would be happy to give your story a read

Leslie

darklight
Member # 5213

Hi Dan, I'll read.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

The second round of HM's are up on the WotF blog now. Looks like we have at least arriki and tnwilz to congratulate. That is if I'm right in guessing that they're misspeled Tracy's last name on the blog. Semis and finalists were getting called today, I guess. That's the word anyhow. No calls for me. So, I'm gunning for an HM or it's back to a big zero again. Anyone else see their name on the blog? Check it out and let us know! Blog says that announcements for the rest of the honors of 2008 Q04 will be up in the next few days. Keep your eyes peeled for em. Later.
Patrick James
Member # 7847

I'll read for anybody from our group. Whoever is left. I wouldn't mind haveing mine read either. Though I already sent it I am sure it is not perfect and would benifit from another look. Wish I had the time to make all the adjustments people here suggested.

WriterDan
darklight
Patrick James
LAJD (Stop lurking. You're in too. I wanna read your story.)

[This message has been edited by Patrick James (edited December 03, 2008).]

arriki
Member # 3079

Where are you seeing the second round, Writer Dan?
darklight
Member # 5213

I'm gutted. I just went to finish up the edit of my story that I started right before NaNo, and it's gone! I can't find it anywhere.
Patrick James
Member # 7847

Your WOTF entry is gone? Hold on, did you send me a copy? I'll send it to you if you did.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Patrick: I'll send the most recent draft of my story over to you this morning. More than happy to read yours again. Did it change much from my last reading?

Arriki: The second round of HM announcements are up on the Writers of the Future blog: http://wotfblog.galaxypress.com/

LAJD
Member # 8070

Patrick-I'm only kind of lurking! I will send it on I have been fretting over some of the motivation, and I am not sure its the kind of story that WoTF wants...AAARRRGGHH.

OK, I will send it tonight, no excuses!

Leslie

LAJD
Member # 8070

OK, I sent my story to WriterDan and Patrick James. Please send yours back to me. I have some time this weekend.

Anyone else?

Leslie

darklight
Member # 5213

Patrick, thanks so much for sending a copy of my story to me. I only wish it had been the one with all my edits. I've lost a complete scene and a lot of work on that story. As a result, and a lack of good health, I don't now have time to re-edit, send out for critique and make my final adjustments before the end of this quarter, so I'm going to sit this one out, and keep this story for the third quarter next year (I already have a story almost ready for Q2 09).

Thanks anyhow for helping.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited December 06, 2008).]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

So has everyone gotten their entries off for this quarter? Unfortunately, I'm still trying to get mine right. Ugh. Quarter-end stuff is tight enough without all of the holiday stuff. Even if I do enjoy it a whole lot. Anyhow, let us all know where you are. Luck with the New Year and your writing goals.
arriki
Member # 3079

Nope. I gave up temporarily on Cory. It needs more work to make it the best t can.

I'm going to send off THE VANISHING BASEMENT instead. I just have two fixes and I'll mail if after Christmas.

The rule is postmarked by Dec 13, right?

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Postmarked by Dec 31, right, though I suggest being careful with end of quarter submissions. Two quarters running now I've had a problem with mine...

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Just sent mine off. It was so nice to not have to be watching the clock as I waited in anticipation for the printer to finish. Usually, I'm so close to the mail-in deadline that I develop a few ulcers over the course of that hour or so when I'm printing, packaging, and paying to mail my entry in. Granted, this probably means that I'm going to be terribly late with starting my entry for next quarter. Grumble, grumble. Ah well. This story sounded like a winner to me. Luck to everyone!

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited December 24, 2008).]

Patrick James
Member # 7847

Has anyone recieved notification that WOTF recieved your story?

I sent mine twenty days ago and have recieved no notification.

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate doing this, but I'm not going to submit anything this quarter. I found that though I like my story, as written it needs too much work (and I've been too lazy). So rather than dash something off at the last minute, I'm going for getting things done early next quarter. Good luck, everyone!
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

I haven't submitted yet--I'm working on something now, hopefully will run down to the post office tomorrow. KayTi, I think you're rubbing off on me!

Patrick James, don't worry. It took me over a month to hear anything back.

Icared
Member # 8091

- posted      Profile for Icared   Email Icared         Edit/Delete Post 
Just sent mine today. I am really happy I won't be seeing that story for at least three months. I have gone over it so many times, when I close my eyes I can see sentences from the story .

Good luck to us all.

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry my disease is catching, annepinn. LOL

Good luck to everyone. I'm annoyed that my last quarter snafu turned into a this quarter snafu, but another way to look at it is that I have two market-ready stories that I just need new cover letters for and can mail (my new year's resolution is to get my stories OUT there. )

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

I did not get mine off.

Somebody didn't want me to do so. I had computer go out, printers -- twice. I was sick and then I got swamped with extra work (for real money). I couldn't believe how things came up. I know right before the end I realized there was a lot more subtle work to do on CORY. I think it would have made HM but nothing more. I want it to surpass REDLIGHT.

So, in a couple of months, think you can stand ONE MORE TIME on CORY? It will be better. I'm beginning to look at the higher levels of storytelling (heavens! I hope that's what I'm doing!) The sorts of story manipulation that pushes stories past the HM level.

Anyway, thanks for all the help so far with this story.

LAJD
Member # 8070

I submitted. I can't believe I actually got Faeries to a place where I think it may have a shot at an HM...8)....or maybe a late rejection? 8)

Anyway, I sat on it and read it, then edited (then repeated for about 3 weeks. got some local eyeballs looking at it and then it seemed to mesh. It will be very interesting to me to see if I get anything on this. I think it is my personal best. So, if it does not get an HM, I will probably ask for some help ripping it apart to see if I can figure out what is wrong with it.

Leslie

Patrick James
Member # 7847

I will be shocked if it doesn't get at least an HM, Leslie.

However, if you do need help ripping it apart I would be willing to lend my rather inexpert eyes and fingers to the task.

LAJD
Member # 8070

Aww Patrick, you are very kind, but honestly I will be shocked if it does!

8)

Leslie

LAJD
Member # 8070

OK, so I have some pretty odd emails with Joni. I don't want to be a pest so maybe you guys know what is going on.

She emailed me yesterday that the post office had found a stack of stories in the back, my story was in the stack, and that my story would be entered in Q4. But I thought that I had entered in in Q1 since I sent it late Dec.

I emailed her again but the response was still a bit odd, she just told me:

"The quarters are: -- 4th quarter ends on the last day of September. First
quarter starts the first of October and ends on the 31st of December. "

So, if I did get the story in by the end of Dec, then it should be entered in Q1 not Q4? But if the post office lost it, I would expect it to slip no later than the Q2 round not the upcoming Q4, but if it was entered in the last Q4 then it was entered too late to be scored. That does not seem reasonable. My head hurts.

I don't want to be a pest to Joni so I thought I would post here and see if you guys have any notion of what is going on.

Confused,
Leslie

[This message has been edited by LAJD (edited February 06, 2009).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you could ask her if she meant it would be entered in Q2.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.