Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotfCritique Group 2009 Q01 -- Early Submissions (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: WotfCritique Group 2009 Q01 -- Early Submissions
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
I am probably going to drop to the regular timetable group, since i have not sent out a first draft yet; I just keep rewriting.

I think I am freaking out; make that I am freaking out! LOL

However, I have been critiquing and am happy to continue, I finished looking at Sabrina's yesterday (not sure of the Hatrack moniker) and will finish AWSullivan's today.

I will mosey over to the regular timetable and let them know that I am dropping in.

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay, it's early yet. I'm still hammering out my draft. I might join up the other group, too. Or I might just solicit one crit. But we still have time!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, let's see if I have this right.
I'm supposed to sent my draft to--
Writer Dan
darklight
Icared
Kay Ti
Patrick James
JenniferHicks

I've been working on it and it's still not right. I feel the ending lacks punch and the main plotline is just not really solid.
Plus I keep finding typos.

What do you guys think?

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Did my story make across the ether intact to you guys? Is there anyone else out there who would like to help check it out?
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it, arriki, and it's all intact. Will critique probably no later than Tuesday.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Arriki - if you want another look, go ahead and send it to me. I haven't gotten any stories from anyone, so I've got plenty of time to look at it.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

OK, in a surge of inspiration I think I have a first draft.
WooHoo!

I am a little concerned that my story is too light and fluffy for WoTF.

So, if anyone is interested in reading a first draft let me know, otherwise I will offer it when the regular timetable group gets going.

I am just glad that I have something that I think is at least first draft-able!
Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icared
Member # 8091

- posted      Profile for Icared   Email Icared         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it as well arriki. I will probably be sending my critique before monday night.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Thanks, Bored Crow.

It's such a relief to get away from that story for a while. I've been concentrating on it for ever so long.

Now I'm starting back to finish "The Girl With the Gold in Her Eyes." Desperately needs a better title. It's another first person space adventure. I love those. Hmmm...it's also another Mars Born story.

arriki
Member # 3079

Guys...I seem to have not cut off some notes to myself after the "the end" of my story. Ignore them. Thanks.
LAJD
Member # 8070

OK, I got min off to the evens:

2.AWSullivan
4.BoredCRow
6.LAJD
8.Annepin
10.TheOnceandFutureMe
12.Zero

I know I am late and my story is 5300 words, so crit what you can.
Thanks
Leslie

darklight
Member # 5213

Send it over to me too, Leslie, I'll take a look.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

Thanks Darklight,

It's on its way.

Leslie

annepin
Member # 5952

Well, I'm not going to be able to get mine off any time soon. I've decided it's better for me to spend the time that I need working on my first draft, than rush it out and try to squeeze a second round of crits in.

I'm still available to crit people's stories, but I think I'll just try to solicit crits on my story sometime around the end of the month.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Will be glad to give em any time that you finish, annepin. Looking forward to seeing it.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

Annepin,

Happy to crit whenever you finish.

Leslie

annepin
Member # 5952

Thanks, WriterDan and LAJD. You guys are the best! I'm done a bit earlier than expected (read: decided to cut my losses for the moment) so will send it off now.
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Don't forget to send it to me too, anne!
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks - it has occurred to me that WOTF might have my last quarter entry mixed in with this quarter's entry. Does anyone have any way to contact them other than the email addy linked from the WOTF blog? I've sent a message (two, actually) and have heard nothing back. I'd really like to find out if last quarter's entry has been judged or not. It would solve the mystery of the missing manuscript, since I haven't received my bonged MS back in the mail. It might also alleviate the pressure I feel for 4Q2008 because, you see, if they haven't judged my last Q story, I could just have them keep it for 4Q or have a chance to revise it and resubmit (which would not be a bad thing. That story never did benefit from workshopping.)

Any tips/thoughts for me? Thanks in advance!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

annepin, send me a copy, too. I seem to be temporarily caught up with my group's. I can send you mine, if you like, also.
arriki
Member # 3079

Kay Ti, in the first quarter when I sent Redlight in, they sent me an email informing me that they were going put it not in the first quarter, but in the second. I imagine they'd do that to you, too.
annepin
Member # 5952

Thanks guys. I sent a copy off to WriterDan, BoredCrow, and Arriki. Send me yours whenever you like.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, I got a new draft of my story done. The only one I have an open invitation to send it to is Annepin. So, I'm going to do that. Anyone else up to read my most recent incarnation? It's probably 15-20% different than my first draft.

Speaking of, the deadline for general second round crits is coming up. Just a week away. Nov 7th. A while ago Patrick suggested some new groups. For your ease in remembering them:

Group 1
Writerdan
darklight
KayTi
JenniferHicks
AWSullivan
LAJD
TheOnceandFutureMe

Group 2
Arriki
Icared
Patrick James
BoredCRow
Annepin
Zero

I think we can keep these groups for this next round. Usually lose a few people between the first and second crits. If you're out for this round, just take your name off the list and re-post. Hope everyone's stories are coming along smashingly well. Thanks everyone.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

I'm going to be concentrating on Nano for a while, so not bothering with another critique on my story until the beginning of December, and since I have a few days off around the middle of next month (November), I'll be able to do some critiques from the 14th to the 18th. Feel welcome to send your stories on if you're not needing a reply for a couple of weeks.
arriki
Member # 3079

Have I returned critiques for everyone I need to?
Have I received first time critiques from everyone I sent copies out to?

Am I current?

arriki
Member # 3079

Is there anyone out there who look at Cory right now? I've made some major additions and need a sort of intermediary opinion.

One change is the addition of a flashback at the beginning.
any volunteers?

Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give 'er a look arriki. I liked that one.
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icared
Member # 8091

I will probably be like a week late for the second drafts, but I am always available for reading yours. Annepin and arriki, if you still need critiques, I will be happy to have a look at your stories.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

I've lost the site where they list the HM and all. What is it?
KayTi
Member # 5137

Writers of the Future Blog (if you google that phrase you'll get it too.)
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Well, I'm not on the HM list. Sigh, I think.

It's that little smidgen of backstory I tried to slip in there on page two. I cringe. It's so close to the opening. It could be the place where when reached it, they dropped my story into the return-to-sender pile.

I hope I could have handled the backstory better now. Hope, hope.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 05, 2008).]

AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, I'm not on the HM list. Sigh, I think.

It's that little smidgen of backstory I tried to slip in there on page two. I cringe. It's so close to the opening. It could be the place where when reached it, they dropped my story into the return-to-sender pile.

I hope I could have handled the backstory better now. Hope, hope.

Or maybe you are in the finalist pile.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Isn't it too early? I mean, this is only the first round of HMs. There were at least three last time. Maybe four. And yes, if you're not an HM, you could still be a semi or finalist!
KayTi
Member # 5137

Not being on this particular list of HMs means nothing - they still have boxes and boxes of entries, I'm sure.

Best of luck to everyone!

WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, today's our posted day for swapping stories for second round crits. Anyone ready?
arriki
Member # 3079

I am. Who's out there willing to reread Cory's story with some added bacstory and a lot of details cleaned up I hope.
darklight
Member # 5213

I'll read, arriki, I'm interested to see what you've done with it. And anyone else too who needs another crit, send it over. Can't promise a hugely fast turnaround, but a week tops should do it.

I hope some of you guys will give mine another look around the beginning of next month.

annepin
Member # 5952

Darklight, I don't think I've read your story yet. I'd be willing to read it.
darklight
Member # 5213

Thanks so much, annepin. Once I get this NaNo thing out of the way in the next couple of weeks, I'll be giving my WotF story a good edit. I'll be sending it off to you then. I don't think I've read yours either, so please send it over whenever you need a crit.
KayTi
Member # 5137

Sorry guys, I'm out this quarter. My last quarter entry turns out to be entered this quarter, so for once I'm an early entrant!

I hope to have some critting time in December, though, so keep me in mind. I can't promise anything in the next few weeks, Nano is eating my soul and I'm way behind on my slush pile reading.

Best wishes to everyone!

Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent my story off to everyone in this group
BoredCRow
Annepin
Zero

Two days ago, for second round crits. If you haven't got it please let me know. I know you got it Arriki and Icared.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

I got it, Patrick. Hopefully telling you here counts.
I've been putting off sending mine out in hopes of receiving some of my first round crits back still. I'll wait until Sunday night and then send it out to the second-round group.

Patrick James
Member # 7847

The third guy on the list hasn't messaged me back!

Oh. Disregard that.

arriki
Member # 3079

How do you make text on here appear in italics, underline, or bold?

Anyone else on the list care to read 2nd draft of Cory?

KayTi
Member # 5137

I think it's done with UBB (universal bulletin board) code, which is the straight up and down brackets -- not the curly ones, not the angled ones. THese ones ] and it's cousin [

Typically the way you do it is stick a tag for what you want to have happen to the word(s) in the straight brackets *before* the word, then *after* the word you do this again with the brackets, but include a forward slash before the tag

I'll try an example with curly brackets, because if I use the straight ones the bulletin board software will just try to parse the tag.

{b}make this text bold{/b}

then using the straight brackets

make this text bold

Italics are done with "i", to quote someone else's text you can write QUOTE in there, then paste the text you want to quote, then do /QUOTE inside the brackets after the text you want to quote.

I also use the URL tag, which is URL=yourwebaddresshere with brackets around it. Then in the space between that tag and the "closing" tag you write the "friendly text" for the web address. that's how you can get those clickable links that make sense, like "Go to CNN" instead of www.cnn.com.

Does this make any sense?

LAJD
Member # 8070

I'm ready to read anyone's story. Send 'em on.

Arriki, I'll read Cory.

I should have Faeries ready for a second read in a couple of days--make that weeks end, just to be safe.

Leslie

Also, I think I have read, critted and responded to everything that has been sent, if I have not replied to you, please email me!

annepin
Member # 5952

Arriki, when you post, look to the left of the text field. You'll see an underlined phrase saying "UBB Code is ON". If you click on it, you'll get to a page explaining all about the code.

Or you can just click here.

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

I just sent my story off to everyone in my group (except for you, anne - there have only been subtle changes since you last read it. Maybe, if you don't mind, I can send it along at another time?)

I'm feeling really good about how this story is turning out. There is definitely room for improvement, but it's getting there. How has everyone else been doing lately?

Icared
Member # 8091

My second draft is going incredibly slow. I am hoping to get it over with this weekend, but I don't know how improved the story is . Anyway , I have arriki's, BoredCrow's and Patrick's stories right now and will try to get the critiques as soon as possible. Would be happy to comment on any other stories as well.
arriki
Member # 3079

May I send out to all and sundry willing critiquers an updated version of my story?

You see...I had this flash of inspiration. It's a subtle change. Reading, you might not even notice. It ties the Cory of the opening more strongly to the one who emerges at the end. May even make him slightly more understandable if not even a little sympathetic.

Thanks, annepin, for the link. I printed off the instructions. Now I HAVE them to refer to. Thanks, again.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 11, 2008).]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.