Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotfCritique Group 2009 Q01 -- Early Submissions (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: WotfCritique Group 2009 Q01 -- Early Submissions
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd probably also ask her to give you the title of the submission that she's talking about. That way you know which story, and which quarter. Luck. I'm sure things are pretty crazy around the WotF table right now.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
At least you got an email. I have received no acknowledgement that my story has been received. Quite odd, this hasn't happened to me before. I did send it in late December but a few days before the first of the year.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icared
Member # 8091

- posted      Profile for Icared   Email Icared         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper I asked Joni about my entry for the first quarter last week. I had mailed it on Dec 30. She said she is still processing the entries and told me I would probably hear from them next week.

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
I also mailed my late in Dec on the 29th. I think I will just wait a week or so and see if I hear anything else. If you got a note that they are still processing its likely my story will fall into Q1.

She really sounded frazzled in the emails.

Leslie

[This message has been edited by LAJD (edited February 08, 2009).]

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icared
Member # 8091

- posted      Profile for Icared   Email Icared         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to update you guys, I have received my confirmation for the first quarter today. Yours should be arriving soon I guess.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Hey all,

Got notice that I won an Honorable Mention for this quarter. That's three in a row now. Craziness. Anyone else hear anything? Let us know!

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Dan, that's amazing, congrats. Remind me again which story it was. I'm sure I must have looked at it (and thought it was great).

I didn't get an entry in for last quarter, so nothing to look forward too!

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
And to add: I was beginning to wonder when we would hear anything for this quarter. Is it me, or are the announcements later than usual?
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Far as I can tell they're coming in right about the same time as always. Kathy Wenthworth just mentioned on the WotF-sff feed that she'd finished the first read-through a couple of days ago.

The story for this quarter that I turned in was about the girl working in the temple where everyone has disappeared and ends up swapping places with the goddess.

Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratz, Dan.

I haven't heard where mine has placed yet. I hope that's a good thing.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

Congratulations IR and Dan! great going.

I liked Mother Gemma, that's the one, right Dan?

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Yeah, that's what it was called. I realized late (read, after mailing it in) that I probably should have tied the ending back to the beginning a little better. Wonder if that's one of the reasons why it didn't get any further. Eh. On to the next!
snapper
Member # 7299

Lets see,

I see you Dan, and I believe Chris Cook used to be with us, and A & W Sully got himself a HM.

I never hear anything from them. they just post what I do, always someone from hatrack emails me first, last one to know. I send them my phone#, email address, and home address. The only time I hear from them is when they received my entry and my SASE.

Hmmm, you think I shouldn't send them a picture with me in a speedo next time?

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited March 13, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

I just got my 'thanks for trying' letter. 8)

I reread my story a few days ago and just cringed. I think I can see the problems with it now. The ones that I just could not see earlier.

On to Q3! I have a first draft almost ready.

Leslie

WriterDan
Member # 6456

ROFL @ Snapper.
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what you look like in speedo, snapper.
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm still hanging around. HM again. The HM was for The Buddhist Tree that some of you guys helped me with three quarters ago. A few changes and I sent it back in. I suspect, because it didn't have any obvious sci-fi or fantasy elements in the first couple of pages originally, that it might not have been read. I'm glad it got read this time.
Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Chris,

Did I undestand that correctly? Did you resend a story you enter in a previous quarter? Can you do that?

Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. That's right. I sent in the same story again. Yes, you can do that as long as it isn't a semi-finalist. If it's a semi-finalist then it gets a critique from Kathy. Then, according to the rules (and logic), it has an unfair advantage, being that the actual judge already told you how to fix it. So, yes, if you sent one in and then improved it, you're free to send it in again. NOTE: But I wouldn't recommend sending it in the very next quarter. Wait a few quarters so you don't bore her at least. NOTE #2: An author I know sent in a story again and it actually placed and got in the book.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited March 18, 2009).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

OMG! That changes everything!!!

got one for the next quarter. Could use some workshopping. Better sign up for the next WOTF group.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Lots more HM's up on the WotF blog. I recognize a few of them as being members of our group at one point or another. Congrats to everyone that got The Mention.
snapper
Member # 7299

Hey!

Patty Jensen of Planet Earth got named as an HM winner! I live there!

Small world...

Patrick James
Member # 7847

Has anyone won from there yet?

I have to work harder next time(and on quarter two as well, haven't sent it in.)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.