Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotfCritique Group 2009 Q01 -- Early Submissions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: WotfCritique Group 2009 Q01 -- Early Submissions
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe how well my story is going. From less than two thousand words a couple of days ago, it's now at almost five. But what I planned on being a 7k story, I think is going to turn into maybe ten or eleven.

I'm writing this using a short (2k) story I worte years ago. I'm finding rewriting from the original very slow going, but when writing the new scenes I'm adding, it's so easy. Any else find this to be true when adapting an old story?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, darklight, I have exactly the same difficulty. I can write fresh material at least three times quicker than editing old material, atop that is my patience for editing. I can write all day, rewritting, on the other hand, wearys me very quickly.
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this happened to me on my novel. The new parts I'd envisioned were so easy. But then I had to rewrite old stuff--for style and content consistency. Man, I felt like I'd hit a wall!

Why do you think this is? Part of it for me is I get annoyed. I can't shut the part of my brain off that says, "We already wrote this. Why are we rewriting it?" Even though I know I can do it better, I know I have to do it better.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I too late to get in? My story is ready for critiquing any time.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'm happy to read and crit anyone's.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to have you aboard, Jennifer. So, as far as I can tell, the current list sit at:

Write/Critique:
1.WriterDan
2.AWSullivan
3.arriki
4.BoredCRow
5.darklight
6.LAJD
7.Icared
8.Annepin
9.KayTi
10.TheOnceandFutureMe
11.Patrick James
12.Zero
13.JenniferHicks

So, I don't think that I'm going to be able to finish my story by this first deadline now (tomorrow). Was working on wiring a new switch this last Saturday for a bathroom fan I'm going to be installing soon, and I think I broke my hand (well at least a bone that is part of it anyways). Have to go to the doc today to make sure, but it hurts pretty freaking bad. Will do my best to still get things finished by this Friday though.

The list this quarter has ended up pretty long, just like it was last time through. I don't exactly remember how well the crit swaps worked out last time, but my memory says that it didn't happen very well. I'm hoping that things will be better this time around. Seeing as how we have twelve people in the group right now, I'd suggest splitting up into two groups of six each (because, I'm sorry, having eleven stories in my mailbox that I have to crit is just not a fun feeling...) for this round, then we'll mix things up for the second round of crits. Sound okay to everyone?

To make things easy, I think we should take evens and odds on the list-- Hmm. Okay, so apparently it seems that I have some trouble with counting unless the names are individually numbered already (which I just took the time to do on the list above...).

So then, ahem, as I was saying, let's split up into one group of six and one group of seven. If we have another random someone sign up for the group, they can join the "evens". And if our groups get much bigger than nine a piece, we can consider splitting up into three groups. (The possibility makes my head spin with giddy desire.)

The two groups will be:

First round critique group #1 (the oddies):
1.WriterDan
3.arriki
5.darklight
7.Icared
9.KayTi
11.Patrick James
13.JenniferHicks

First round critique group #2 (the evens):
2.AWSullivan
4.BoredCRow
6.LAJD
8.Annepin
10.TheOnceandFutureMe
12.Zero

If anyone is open for doing more crits than just those within their own sub-group, then let it be known. Otherwise, let's get busy swapping.

Now I'm going to go soak my hand in an ice bath...

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icared
Member # 8091

- posted      Profile for Icared   Email Icared         Edit/Delete Post 
Splitting into two groups seems fine. Hope you get better soon WriterDan.

I am open to critiques at anytime, so if anyone in my group has finished the first draft, feel free to send it to me. I will be finishing mine either tomorrow or the day after.

[This message has been edited by Icared (edited October 06, 2008).]

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

I'm about half way through my first draft, so I'll be a little late, too.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Groups suits!

Hope the hand/finger gets better soon. Two of my fingers are broken so I know how you feel.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Oh yeah, and thumbs up on the groups. Maybe we can scramble them for round two to get some fresh eyes. And those in my group, send me your drafts as soon as they're ready.
darklight
Member # 5213

Groups and fine with me too, and hope the hand is ok.

I'm all finished with my first draft and will be sending it out tomorrow to everyone in my group. Likewise, I'm all set to recieve stories, so please send when ready.

Edited to add: Ended up at 9,500 words.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited October 06, 2008).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

We'll definitely scramble for second round crits, annepin. I'm guessing we'll probably have a few drop-outs/additions to the group by then, as usual. So, we'll hit that when we get there. Thanks for all the well-wishes, people. Off to the doc now. Later.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The first draft of my story is being critted in a workshop today. I'll do some rewriting tomorrow and hopefully have it out to my group by the end of this week.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
My story has been sent! The only person I was unable to send to was KayTi because I didn't see an e-mail address in the profile. I'm looking forward to critiquing everyone else's work.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
JenniferHicks -- I didn't receive it.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I resent. Hopefully you got it this time.
darklight
Member # 5213

I've sent mine off to everyone in my group. Awaiting stories for all but JeniferHicks - I sent my crituiqe of your story back to you. If you haven't got it, let me know.
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost done with my first draft, but not ready for crits yet. I expect that I need a couple of days.

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

I sent my critique to JenniferHicks. I hope I wasn't impossible to please.

By the way guys...as you know I suffered a stroke back in June. I lost the ability to write by hand and to type. I still have a lot of trouble typing. I try to clean it up but stuff slips through. I especially have difficulty with periods such as an "l" instead of a "." Misspellings slip through, too. I'm not any dumber than I was. I do have muscle twitches that strike keys I don't realize I've hit in the white heat of writing. So forgive me my slips in messages, critiques and stories. Point them out in the stories, please.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
arriki, I, for one, didn't know about your stroke. Sorry if I missed your posting the information here on Hatrack.

And congratulations on your work to overcome it. I haven't noticed any spelling problems, etc, so you're doing something right.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icared
Member # 8091

Sorry to hear that arriki, hope you get better soon.

I just sent out my story to everyone in my group as well.

I just wanted to warn you guys, as english is not my first language(i am turkish,in the US for graduate study), my first drafts are usually a bit messy in terms of vocabulary. I would appreciate any corrections and suggestions about that.

Please don't think that I am too lazy to correct any vocabulary errors, I am doing everything I can.

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Icared, we welcome those for whom English is not their first language, and we have several people here who speak more than English as well.

You do the best you can, and we'll do what we can to assist you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

arriki,

I sincerely wish you the best of luck, fortune, and godspeed with your health and recovery. I am both inspired and amazed at your refusal to quit, and your persistence to keep chasing after the art of writing that we're all passionate about. I hope this glowing post isn't read as cheesy or sarcastic, because it is rare that I am so inspired and I wanted to thank you.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Thank you. Zero.

I used to write using WordPerfect 5.1 but now I'm kind of stuck with WordPerfect 12 and Word because they underline in red all misspelled words. The ones like "ship" instead of "slip" they don't catch, however. Sigh. It's just so darn frustrating.

Patrick James
Member # 7847

Exactly what Zero said. I couldn't phrase that sentiment any better--or even as well. Your strength to overcome that difficulty has made me feel small for whining about my fingers.

I have similair frustration with spell checkers, its the 'cant' vs 'can't' that bugs me the most. And when they do underline something, why does it have to RED. I don't see red, and often mistake it for a standard underline and miss it.

You say it happened back in June? I guess you're not the whiner I am, or I'd have known about it.

annepin
Member # 5952

Arriki, indeed, you are an inspiration.

Patrick James, I think you can change the underlining to a different color if you go to the "preferences" and "editing" section.

These kinds of errors are precisely why I don't rely on the spell checker. I find it gives you a false sense of peace, of feeling like it's got your back. Instead, it introduces more insidious errors. So, I have it on, but I check as I type, and if a word gets underlined just after I type it I go back and fix it. After the piece is written, I find there's no substitute for careful proofreading, and reproofreading.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited October 08, 2008).]

darklight
Member # 5213

Just to say, if anyone has emailed with a critique, or is waiting for one from me, apologies if a reply is taking time in coming. MSN wont let me into my email account.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Just sent my first draft off to the Oddies group. Now I'll finally be able to get to the crits. All hail. This is going to be a good quarter. I can feel it.
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm deep in happy-novel-land, but I'll try to pull myself out long enough to check over my WOTF story and send it out.

All of my fellow even group members, send along your stories whenever they're ready.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

I've sent back a few critques today. I kind of get confused as to which story belongs to who as I have so many, so if you received something in error, please let me know!
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
My story is ready to send out... is anyone in the evens group ready to crit?
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Yes, I can crit. Go ahead and send!
darklight
Member # 5213

I've critted four stories in my group, the oddies. I'm assuming the other two will be a little while until they are ready to send. So if anyone in the evens would like another set of eyes to read their story, I'm ready and willing to critique.
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
I can crit too, send it on.
leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

So can I.
annepin
Member # 5952

How's it going, evens? So far I've only received Bored Crow's submission. How's everybody else doing?

Mine is stalled at about 3/4 of the way through. I'm hoping to get it finished in the next day or two, and then will send it out. In the meantime, i'm open for critting.

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for anyone counting on me right now, please don't. My new job has a deadline that's killing me and I have another story deadline I need to prioritize ahead of WOTF since, after all, I do have until Dec 31 for this one...

I'm sorry. I did receive a few stories and will try to give them a crit as soon as I can but am not sure when that will be. In the meantime, don't wait up for my submission, as you might be waiting a long while...

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

I spent today spinning my wheels working on a short three paragraph section of backstory. I'm still not happy, but it is improved. I hope to have a draft out by next week...maybe.

This is an atypical story for me. Very dark.

Zero
Member # 3619

I like dark.
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the evens, BoredCrow, and anyone else ready, go ahead and send me the story.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

Anyone for moving second drafts up a week or two(say Oct. 24), and do it with groups as is. Then also do the scheduled second draft crit(Nov 7th), exchanging every other person from each group.
So Groups would now be.

Goup 1(formerly oddies or oddballs) after exchange.
1.Writerdan
5.darklight
9.KayTi
13.JenniferHicks
+
2.AWSullivan
6.LAJD
10.TheOnceandFutureMe

Group 2 (formerly evens or 'the slightly less odd group')
3.Arriki
7.Icared
11.Patrick James
+
4.BoredCRow
8.Annepin
12.Zero

What do you guys(ladies and gentlemen) think?

Hope I haven't left anyone out.

Icared
Member # 8091

I am not sure if I can have a second draft by 24th but the groups look good.

Zero
Member # 3619

aww, can't we be the "oddly challenged" ?
Patrick James
Member # 7847

Zero, do you mean deficient in 'odd' poeple, or 'challenged' in an odd way?

Anyway, question from a noob, what is everyone else doing for second drafts? Re-writing from scratch, or just altering to address story's shortcomings?

arriki
Member # 3079

But I've already critiqued most of the people in the odds!
Zero
Member # 3619

I mean it in the sense that a short person can be "vertically challenged."
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Don't know if I'll be able to get a new draft turned around that quickly. I have a few other demands on my free time right now that are going to make things difficult as it is to meet the Nov 7th deadline. I'm going to have to bow out of this mid-range crit. Sorry, Patrick.
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to apologize for my lack of participation this round. If it doesn't sell, there is a pretty good chance my 09Q1 story is already complete and ready to send.

I will be happy to read the drafts of anyone in my 'group' however so please feel free to send them.

Let's kick some ass this quarter!

~Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

At least stick around until the next round of crits, Anthony! Sit on the story for a bit and then re-read it. I've always found that's the best way to make my stories better. So, great that you're done. But you have some time to let it rest, so take it. Plus, I want a chance to read it too.
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I'm not going anywhere. I just wanted to let everyone know why they hadn't received an MS from me. I've sent it on to everyone in my sub-group.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.