Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » How many Hatrackers does it take to change a light bulb? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: How many Hatrackers does it take to change a light bulb?
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did we lose anyone in transit?

Lets do a quick head count

Talespinners gone, Teirgan is missing, BentTree is uprooted, Patrick James flew the coup, no ones seen Steffenwolf...
Jean T,
Kathyton,
Reagansgame...

Geez, what have you done Kathleen! It looks like a ghost town!

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried a couple of those swirly light bulbs with a motion sensitive switch - they blew both times - I felt like I had just wasted the next 14 years of my life.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah those motion sensors do not like the CFL's, which is funny to me since they are both touted as energy savers.

I want to know . . . is it dark?

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Most CFLs (ice cream or swirly bulbs) cannot handle specialty lighting. You must buy a specialty bulb. It's the same if you want a CFL that doesn't need to warm up.

Also, a fact that's not well advertised is that CFLs are more efficient only in areas that you need light for at least fifteen minutes at a time. CFLs use more power than incandescents (the older-type bulbs) when they are turned on and off frequently. For this reason, we use both CFLs and incandescents in our house.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
They tell me you can't switch the swirlybulbs on and off too often...makes 'em go funny...actually, mine usually last a year and a fraction...I only use the one in a socket that's too difficult to change every couple of months with a regular bulb.

But once they're blown out...how do you get rid of 'em?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
Home Depot (and possibly some other similar stores) accept them back for recycling. CFL's contain a small amount of mercury, so they don't want you to put them in the regular trash.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
I always seem to end up in a room with those glass cover fixtures that kill light bulbs in like a month.

So I know it takes at least one Hatracker to change a light bulb .

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how much extra carbon monoxide is produced by transporting swirly bulbs back and forth to stores and recycling centers.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. J had it right: this thread keeps coming back like Valtrex's arch enemy.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.